• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm3

I have over 100 hours on the game. easily worth the $10 I paid for it. It was a supersteal at $2.50 and is still a steal at $5. It'll be just like any other game however. Some will like it, some won't. If it catches your fancy, you will be hooked.

dream

I bought this expecting it to be, I dunno, Wonder Boy and I absolutely hated it on that basis. Like a good GAFer, I found the OT and was about to post a scathing rant about wasting $2.49 but I decided to read the getting started wiki first to see if I was missing something.

Holy shit was I ever missing something.

I am so unbelievably hooked on this game now. Wow.

Mairu

LM4sure said:
I got it for $2.50. Not sure if it's worth more than that. If you didn't get in at that price I wouldn't recommend spending more.
ib7rDI.png

I disagree.
Yep, I haven't played it in a month+! I'm waiting for a few more patches before it takes me away from every other game for a couple of weeks.

Retro

dream said:
I bought this expecting it to be, I dunno, Wonder Boy and I absolutely hated it on that basis. Like a good GAFer, I found the OT and was about to post a scathing rant about wasting $2.49 but I decided to read the getting started wiki first to see if I was missing something.

Holy shit was I ever missing something.

I am so unbelievably hooked on this game now. Wow.

Best $2.49 you'll ever spend, this game gets updated so frequently that even if you're crazy (like me) and do everything to the point of burning yourself out (and then some), there's a new patch right around the corner with something new to find / build / kill / explore.

Really, first impressions can kind of be iffy since the game drops you in the middle of nowhere with very little info and only the most basic tools. But give it a half hour or so and just poke around... before you know it, it'll be dawn. (Not an exaggeration).

Thanks for giving it a chance and for posting your 'scathing rant'.

Stitch

Gold Member
Snkfanatic said:
I would like to know what others think of this as well. I wish this game had a zoom in and our feature. Everything is way to small at 1920x1080.
well, the default resolution at launch was 800x600....

etiolate

Banned
Is there any reason for the basic attack to be so rudimentary? Just because you've got a 8 bit look doesn't mean you need 8 bit animation drawbacks.

Retro

Ugh, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but really? People are bitching about spending $3 on an amazing indie game put together by just two guys? You guys realize that's like, a Fillet-o-fish combo, right? For what most people are playing 50-60 hours?

So you don't like it. So it has canned 8-bit attack animations. Two guys... for two bucks and change. I don't see how anyone can bitch about spending so little, even to try it out.

What? It's suddenly two bucks more than it just was? That's simply too much money! I need those two dollars! For... an extra burrito.... cuz... you know.. burritos are important. And junk.
KuGsj.gif

Stitch said:
hit it with a hammer
sucks if you want to move a full treasure chest...

Good News though, the next patch will add a "Loot All" button to the interface as well as "Deposit All".

dream said:
Okay, last dumb question for tonight, I swear. Will beds advance time and, if so, how do I make one?
Beds do not advance time, but they're still handy. They're produced from Wood and Silk (produced from Cobwebs, gathered below the surface). I think it's something like 10 cobwebs = 1 silk and 5 silk + 15 wood = 1 bed.

dream

So I'm guessing I should probably just chill at home at night and pick off zombies using my door as a chokepoint while I'm still new to the game?

Retro

Jobacca said:
Just spent 2 hours digging. That's it, just digging. So fun.

It gets kind of trance-like doesn't it? "Just a few more feet... oh wait, what's that? Is that a ruby? I better dig over towards that... Holy crap, there's a whole underground passage here and... is this an underground forest?"

Just wait until you get to the building. You spend a ton of time digging stuff up and a ton of time putting it back in cool-looking ways. Very relaxing, honestly.

dream said:
So I'm guessing I should probably just chill at home at night and pick off zombies using my door as a chokepoint while I'm still new to the game?

Zombies can't open doors except during a very specific event (you'll get a special notice about it, don't worry). You're perfectly safe just closing the door and ignoring them. Feel free to start digging down from your shelter to find metals, gems, treasure, etc. Be on the lookout for large stone Hearts, and be sure to bring a hammer to smash them.

There aren't any character levels so growth in this game is limited to finding or making new gear and Life/Mana Crystals. As always, show something to the guide to find out what you can make.

dream

You know, I never even thought about spending my nights excavating under my house, Shawshank Redemption style.

Will zombies spawn down there and kill me?

Jobacca

Neo Member
Retro said:
It gets kind of trance-like doesn't it? "Just a few more feet... oh wait, what's that? Is that a ruby? I better dig over towards that... Holy crap, there's a whole underground passage here and... is this an underground forest?"

Just wait until you get to the building. You spend a ton of time digging stuff up and a ton of time putting it back in cool-looking ways. Very relaxing, honestly.

Yes! It was the blink roots I kept seeing. Then at one point I told my self I would dig up one more row of stone and I saw some water. So I had to head that way and something else would catch my eye and I would deviate off course lol.

Building as in actual ones I build? I'm sure I'll spend hours on that as well haha.

dream said:
You know, I never even thought about spending my nights excavating under my house, Shawshank Redemption style.

They don't spawn like on the surface, but they are down there usually guarding stuff.

dream said:

Slimes will spawn, and I've only had 1 eye spawn. Otherwise zombies haven't gotten in.

Retro

dream said:

If there's a natural opening at the surface, then yeah, they will find a way down to you at some point. Early on, the worst you'll deal with underground are larger slimes with more HP and maybe a bat or two.

Jobacca said:
Building as in actual ones I build? I'm sure I'll spend hours on that as well haha.

Yeah. Once you start collecting massive volumes of stone, you can turn it into brick and start building elaborate castles, towers, warehouses, etc. GAF server has a ton of stuff like this at the moment, there's some insanely cool pixel-art stuff on there (We have a pikachu surfing a nyancat's rainbow just past the giant spanish guitar, all of which is tucked under a Super Mario Bros 3-style Airship... and that's just a few of the things made in there.

dream

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go explore under my house now.

I love how I'm so bad at this game and still telling everyone on my Steam list to get it just because I'm totally buying in to the potential of the game.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Retro said:
Yeah. Once you start collecting massive volumes of stone, you can turn it into brick and start building elaborate castles, towers, warehouses, etc. GAF server has a ton of stuff like this at the moment, there's some insanely cool pixel-art stuff on there (We have a pikachu surfing a nyancat's rainbow just past the giant spanish guitar, all of which is tucked under a Super Mario Bros 3-style Airship... and that's just a few of the things made in there.

I must check this out right now.

Retro

dream said:
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go explore under my house now.

I love how I'm so bad at this game and still telling everyone on my Steam list to get it just because I'm totally buying in to the potential of the game.

For $5, it's worth seeing if you like it. Game rentals from a video store usually cost more than that.

Jobacca said:
I must check this out right now.

IP: 173.65.165.253
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

Derrick01

Banned
Hey Retro you need any supplies? I'm about to head to bed but I'll be up relatively early tomorrow and I can drop some stuff off if you need it. You said you were out of iron earlier for example.

Retro

Derrick01 said:
Hey Retro you need any supplies? I'm about to head to bed but I'll be up relatively early tomorrow and I can drop some stuff off if you need it. You said you were out of iron earlier for example.

Nah, I just meant on me at the time, since I don't have a supply on the GAF server. I have plenty stored up on my home world. Thanks though.

Forkball

So I've done some spelunking. I found a life crystal, but how do I use it? I haven't found anything too interesting outside of that, but I did find a purple stone I can't beat and a HUGE open area that is crawling with bad guys. I immediately got killed. But it's ok, since you don't really lose anything if you die, how awesome.

Dwayne

I'm sure this is a retarded question but it's driving me nuts. When I put down the furness or torches, they drop onto the ground, and when I walk past them, he automatically picks them up. What am I doing wrong ;_; I watched a video and saw a guy place torches in the roof of his house, but I have nfi how, everything just drops out of my player to the ground.

Enco

Dwayne said:
I'm sure this is a retarded question but it's driving me nuts. When I put down the furness or torches, they drop onto the ground, and when I walk past them, he automatically picks them up. What am I doing wrong ;_; I watched a video and saw a guy place torches in the roof of his house, but I have nfi how, everything just drops out of my player to the ground.
You have to equip it and then left click on a surface..

Forkball, you have to equip it and then left click. You lose half the money on you.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Forkball said:
So I've done some spelunking. I found a life crystal, but how do I use it? I haven't found anything too interesting outside of that, but I did find a purple stone I can't beat and a HUGE open area that is crawling with bad guys. I immediately got killed. But it's ok, since you don't really lose anything if you die, how awesome.

hit the life crystal with a hammer till it breaks then click it in your inventory

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Dwayne said:

has to be in your action bar the top bar of your inventory

Sorry for asking again (not the only one asking too) just never saw an answer

What resolution are you all playing at? I have a 1920X1080 monitor and playing at that resolution makes everything very small. Ideally it would be great to have a zoom in and out feature. Hopefully they will add that in later on.

Loving the game so far though! Plan to join the GAF server soon after I get the hang of things.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For those wondering if the game is worth it or not (at any price)...

UWoWk.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Full disclosure though, since I do run the server, that's probably counted in that. However, I'm usually playing the game anyway while the server is running (even if I'm not on the server, I'm putzing around in SP).

All right, nearly 8am-ish... server turning back on for people who want to stop by.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm noticing some minor vandalism on the server.
Well, its probably not "vandalism" per se.... maybe people learning how to play... but I mean C'MON. Who takes a tombstone from a graveyard? That's just wrong.

Some other "not-really vandalism" things:
The Well: Yes, I know, its too damn deep. I've topped it off w/ a walkway so people don't accidentally fall into it. No Wells w/ easy access in the next world, I promise.

The White Mage: someone mined a piece of her ass off. There's a chunk missing from her butt. Someone LITERALLY tapped her ass. Lol.

Sky castle: SOMEONE TOOK OFF A A COUPLE OF DOORS AND A HUGE CHUNK OFF THE ENTRANCE. Okay, little ticked about that.​

All right folks, need to reiterate one of the house rules:
DO NO MESS WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S STRUCTURES WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION.
And WHY WAS IT EVERYTHING THAT I WORKED ON?!?​

Okay, I'm just a little miffed, not amazingly angry, all the stuff that was messed up I can easily fixed, so if you were responsible, don't feel too guilty about it. And when I started this server, I was well prepared for cases of people messing around (or accidentally causing damage).

I know who it was that did the damage to the White Mage. First time on the server and they thought it was best to mine that for stone. Luckily managed to stop them before it got worse.

Maybe in the new server have the spawn point a bit away from all the structures to give them a "test zone". But actually, saying that, then you lose the benefits of the safe area from meteors round the town.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
HaRyu said:
I'm noticing some minor vandalism on the server.
Well, its probably not "vandalism" per se.... maybe people learning how to play... but I mean C'MON. Who takes a tombstone from a graveyard? That's just wrong.

Some other "not-really vandalism" things:
The Well: Yes, I know, its too damn deep. I've topped it off w/ a walkway so people don't accidentally fall into it. No Wells w/ easy access in the next world, I promise.

The White Mage: someone mined a piece of her ass off. There's a chunk missing from her butt. Someone LITERALLY tapped her ass. Lol.

Sky castle: SOMEONE TOOK OFF A A COUPLE OF DOORS AND A HUGE CHUNK OFF THE ENTRANCE. Okay, little ticked about that.​

All right folks, need to reiterate one of the house rules:
DO NO MESS WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S STRUCTURES WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION.
And WHY WAS IT EVERYTHING THAT I WORKED ON?!?​
Sorry, but The White Mage part made me laugh so hard :D

Guess I'll try the GAF server after the next patch and after learning how to play a bit more.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
GazzaScotland said:
I know who it was that did the damage to the White Mage. First time on the server and they thought it was best to mine that for stone. Luckily managed to stop them before it got worse.

Maybe in the new server have the spawn point a bit away from all the structures to give them a "test zone". But actually, saying that, then you lose the benefits of the safe area from meteors round the town.

That's the plan actually, to build the structure a little away from the spawn. The spawn point will have the tutorial "rooms" setup though.

And I have a way to deal w/ meteors smashing into our structures, so the builders dont have to worry. :p

Keiician said:
Sorry, but The White Mage part made me laugh so hard :D

Guess I'll try the GAF server after the next patch and after learning how to play a bit more.

Yeah, when someone told me someone messed the White Mage, the first thing that ran through my mind when I saw it was, "Damn, someone tapped her ass..."

Needless to say, I spent the next 10 minutes laughing. ^O^

HaRyu said:
That's the plan actually, to build the structure a little away from the spawn. The spawn point will have the tutorial "rooms" setup though.

And I have a way to deal w/ meteors smashing into our structures, so the builders dont have to worry. :p

Ohhh yeah! Forgot about that when you mentioned it the other night. Since that won't be an issue. Should be a good idea, not only to protect the stuff, but help new players get to grips with things.

Derrick01

Banned
I think today is a good day to finally see the gaf server. You don't have to worry about me taking anything though as I'm pretty set myself, I just want to see what you crazy people have built :lol

Also you need to put a sign near this mage that says something like "Tappin dat ass is prohibited"

atre324

Oh balls, apparently Coral Farms are impossible in the center of the map since Coral only grows (on sand under water, obviously) within 250 blocks of the edge of the map. Bummer :(

I guess I'll go the route I've seen in screenshots and top my herb garden with a few small (10-15 blocks wide) biomes-- essentially a small cactus farm and corruption/jungle/regular trees, maybe a smaller scale vile mushroom farm than my huge one over on the other side of the map.

Derrick01

Banned
It figures when I first sign on to the gaf server it's in the middle of a goblin invasion lol

If you guys see George, that's me by the way. The gaf server is awesome and reminds me how little creativity I have on my own :(

Retro

Here's the GAF Server info for the new page:

IP: 173.65.165.253
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

So the drastic reduction in price was apparently someone at Valve screwing up;

Tiy said:
As far as I'm aware someone made a mistake and posted the game at the wrong price, and later corrected it. I was as surprised as anyone else here to see the price change. I'm sorry if you feel mislead, but this certainly was not a stunt or a question of greed on our parts. We've been supporting the game with lots of free content since release, it would be silly to then destroy all that good will with a dishonest stunt.

Full Price is still more than worth it for this game, though.

Snkfanatic said:
Sorry for asking again (not the only one asking too) just never saw an answer

What resolution are you all playing at? I have a 1920X1080 monitor and playing at that resolution makes everything very small. Ideally it would be great to have a zoom in and out feature. Hopefully they will add that in later on.

Loving the game so far though! Plan to join the GAF server soon after I get the hang of things.

Sorry if we missed your question before, the thread has kinda been moving quickly and I'm also usually on the GAF server helping people who have just arrived.

I play in Windowed Mode at 1024x768. With windowed mode, you can drag the edges of the screen to see more area, but I usually keep the screen at the default size since it gets a tad choppy (in my PC's defense, it is 6 years old and I keep a ton of crap open at once).

Anyone else want to chime in with their resolution and advice?

anddo0 said:
"Arms Dealer has arrived"

I had more than enough to purchase the Minishark. Now how do I get ammo?

All Firearms run on Musket Balls, Silver Bullets or Meteor Shot. You can buy the first two directly from the Arms Dealer (the latter only during a Blood Moon) and the third has to be crafted from Meteorite.

atre324 said:
Oh balls, apparently Coral Farms are impossible in the center of the map since Coral only grows (on sand under water, obviously) within 250 blocks of the edge of the map. Bummer :(.

GAF Server has a Coral Farm pretty close to the map center, so maybe the info you got is wrong? It sure seems to be growing fine (It's to the left of spawn, past the white mage, down in the "Farm" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom