• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

atre324

Is the coral farm outside twhe center third of the map at least? Mine werent growing next to my main house (granted I didn't wait particularly long) and from what I read on the terraria forums people have been having problems with coral farms in the center as well, but idk if MP worlds work differently or what. I guess I'll give iit another shot.

That reminds me,I should really post pics of my SP world so I can get some ideas on how to make it prettier lol

Edit: and how deep is the water on GAF? Maybe that's my problem, I was using 3 deep ponds but maybe that's not considered an "ocean"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That reminds me, I still haven't seen the edge of the map yet. I did find a jungle area with *new music* last night, and I decided I'm gonna scrap my current home so I can set up over there for a change of view. I felt like I might start to get tired of the game after 25 hours in a little over a week but now that I'm carving out a place for a new house I'm hooked all over again.

this house is gonna be ten times better than the last one, though, it's underwater!

- I've been playing full screen 1080p, but I like it. I feel like I can see so much of the map.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Sorry if we missed your question before, the thread has kinda been moving quickly and I'm also usually on the GAF server helping people who have just arrived.

I play in Windowed Mode at 1024x768. With windowed mode, you can drag the edges of the screen to see more area, but I usually keep the screen at the default size since it gets a tad choppy (in my PC's defense, it is 6 years old and I keep a ton of crap open at once).

Anyone else want to chime in with their resolution and advice?

I play Windowed 1920 x 1080, occasionally making it go fullscreen when there's a boss fight, or if I'm hunting for treasure and using a spelunker potion, or when building. While everything is smaller than usual, I do like having the ability to see a lot more on the screen when needed.

yamo

Bought this game yesterday while the price was still low! Loving it so far.

My main two problems though is that I seem to run out of storage space fast and I have a really hard time finding any iron. Any helpful advises would be great.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hongesagatame said:
Bought this game yesterday while the price was still low! Loving it so far.

My main two problems though is that I seem to run out of storage space fast and I have a really hard time finding any iron. Any helpful advises would be great.

Running out of Storage Space: Eh, get used to that. A few of us make a small world strictly for storage, and drop stuff off/pick stuff up when needed.

Finding Iron: Make yourself some Spelunker potions, they help out a lot when you're looking for ores. Ore deposits also tend to be larger and more plentiful when you're near lava (not Hell, but the part in the Caverns when you start seeing lava).

Wow...this game just chewed me up and spit me out 4 hours later. I am in love...glad I grabbed the four pack when it was cheap and sent most to my friends cause if it is this much fun on my own I can't even begin to fathom how much fun it will be multiplayer.

I loved minecraft but this game is so much more. The graphics hit a great nostalgia button for me along with just suit the style of play it brings. I love fighting mobs and gathering loot so much more than I would in minecraft. Since there is so many things to create and so much more armor and weapons to make I can see myself playing this for a LONG time.

I have spent most of my time underground gathering materials and looking for new things. Is there any reason other than wood to stay on the surface? I haven't strayed to far from spawn above ground so I just wondering if it would benefit to explore above ground.

EDIT: Also thanks for getting back on the resolution guys. I bumped mine down a bit and found one I like so far. Haven't thought to play in windowed mode yet, I will give that a shot too.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Snkfanatic said:
I have spent most of my time underground gathering materials and looking for new things. Is there any reason other than wood to stay on the surface? I haven't strayed to far from spawn above ground so I just wondering if it would benefit to explore above ground.

EDIT: Also thanks for getting back on the resolution guys. I bumped mine down a bit and found one I like so far. Haven't thought to play in windowed mode yet, I will give that a shot too.

In terms of resource gathering, not much above ground other than wood, but any plants you find, you can create a farm that way you dont have to go crazy looking for ingredients. Boss fights as well as pretty much every major event (goblin invasion, meteor strikes) take place on the surface though.

HaRyu said:
In terms of resource gathering, not much above ground other than wood, but any plants you find, you can create a farm that way you dont have to go crazy looking for ingredients. Boss fights as well as pretty much every major event (goblin invasion, meteor strikes) take place on the surface though.

Ok that is just awesome...I want to see that haha

Derrick01

Banned
Snkfanatic said:
Ok that is just awesome...I want to see that haha

It happened on the gaf server about an hour or so ago. I logged in for the first time to see how awesome the server was and I spawned on about 8 goblins :lol

You'll need to be pretty geared up to have it happen on yours. You'll need 200+ life and you'll have to break at least 1 shadow orb and even then it only has a 6.5% chance of happening each day.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Derrick01 said:
It happened on the gaf server about an hour or so ago. I logged in for the first time to see how awesome the server was and I spawned on about 8 goblins :lol

You'll need to be pretty geared up to have it happen on yours. You'll need 200+ life and you'll have to break at least 1 shadow orb and even then it only has a 6.5% chance of happening each day.

Or you can just stop by the GAF server and wait. We tend to have 3 or 4 a day. :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like for the last day of the Steam sale, Terraria is one of the deals again.
Its 4.99, so last chance people (at least until the next Steam sale, w/c should be Christmas).
:p

yamo

HaRyu said:
Running out of Storage Space: Eh, get used to that. A few of us make a small world strictly for storage, and drop stuff off/pick stuff up when needed.

Finding Iron: Make yourself some Spelunker potions, they help out a lot when you're looking for ores. Ore deposits also tend to be larger and more plentiful when you're near lava (not Hell, but the part in the Caverns when you start seeing lava).

Allright, not only me having storage problems then. Not seen any lava so far either, so I suppose I should just carry on digging deeper. :)

kanugo

Sorry if this was posted before, but I just bought the game from Steam, so can anyone point me to a good guide on how to start a server? Thanks.

<EDIT: I just tried play a little on Retro's server and it worked fine. The problem is creating a server to share with my brother.

Retro

atre324 said:
Edit: and how deep is the water on GAF? Maybe that's my problem, I was using 3 deep ponds but maybe that's not considered an "ocean"
Easiest just to show you a screenshot, so...

Mym9T.jpg

JDS 1977 said:
I don't understand!!? Why so much digging?
KuGsj.gif

Snuggler said:
I felt like I might start to get tired of the game after 25 hours in a little over a week but now that I'm carving out a place for a new house I'm hooked all over again.

this house is gonna be ten times better than the last one, though, it's underwater!

Yeah, this game has its claws in you now. After you finish that house, you'll decide you want a quick route to hell, so that's another big digging project. Then you'll start thinking "I really don't like all my NPCs bunched up like this" and start building them individual houses. Then you'll say "Wow, there's a new patch out that doesn't retroactively affect my world, I need to build a new, bigger fortress in a new world!" and before you know it you're looking at shit like this...

f5QoW.jpg

...and wondering why anyone would think ten measly dollars is somehow asking too much for this.

hongesagatame said:

Harlan already gave you the best advice on finding Iron. Be thankful it sparkles now (it didn't) and when you start looking for Silver, it's white and bright instead of looking almost identical to regular stone (it didn't).

As for storage space, most of us have gone ahead and made our first world (on the list, I'm actually on my .... third new world?) a "Home World" with no purpose other than to build, save and store. I have individual, themed towers and fortresses for my loot; metals go in the smithing tower, weapons and armor in the armory, alchemy and accessories in the 'mage's tower', etc. Even WITH all of that individual, organized storage, here's my warehouse;

HkdMi.jpg

I save *everything*, which has been nice the last few days since I've had all sorts of goodies to give to new players. The nine chests on the bottom right are almost entirely building materials (and I have a big structure with full stacks of every brick type too).

To save on chests, empty any of them that you find and smash them with a hammer... bam, free chest.

Snkfanatic said:
Since there is so many things to create and so much more armor and weapons to make I can see myself playing this for a LONG time.

Don't forget that they patch pretty frequently (well, compared to, say, MMOs)... the last patch added the entire alchemy system and a few odds and ends; over 50 items in total. The next patch (1.0.6) will be fairly small, but they've given a few tidbits on the 1.1 patch and it's supposedly going to be HUGE.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The patching is such an awesome way to keep things fresh. It's free and it adds some pretty significant stuff to the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game grow.

Retro

kanugo said:
<EDIT: I just tried play a little on Retro's server and it worked fine. The problem is creating a server to share with my brother.

ahem... I know I'm the one whoring the address every few posts and constantly hanging out on it, but HaRyu's the one keeping the GAF server up and running. I have no part in it all all, so... he's the one to thank.

atre324

Retro said:
Easiest just to show you a screenshot, so...

Mym9T.jpg

Interesting, I wonder why mine isn't working. I guess I'll try a bunch of ponds with increasing depth and see what works. Do you think the dirt backwall makes a difference? I forget, does the ocean have a backwall or is it empty?

Retro

atre324 said:
Interesting, I wonder why mine isn't working. I guess I'll try a bunch of ponds with increasing depth and see what works. Do you think the dirt backwall makes a difference? I forget, does the ocean have a backwall or is it empty?

Oceans don't have backwalls.

mclaren777 said:
How long do you think it will stay at $5?

I would imagine as long as Steam is running their Summer Sale...

Edit: Just grabbed some Iron, Magic Mirrors and Horseshoes, so hop on the GAF server and ask (Enter to chat).

Ranger X

Grabbed it yesterday at the mistaken price point. mwahahaha :)
Game is pretty interesting. I got no time yet to really play it though.

Retro

We had a shitload of people on when a Goblin Invasion started... YIKES. It was complete insanity. We've got 11 people on now and things are really hoppin.

Derrick01 said:
I've got a question about gardening. Can I just put all these seeds in pots and not worry about different soil types?

No worries about soil if you're planting them in pots, but you'll need to utilize lava and water to get Fireblossom and Waterleaf to reach maturity (i.e. drop seeds on harvest).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:

Blue's twitter says that he wasn;t even aware that the sale was even suppose to be below 7.49, so even the price now is "wrong", at least according to the devs.

Whore this game out to your friends, people.

Was on the GAF server earlier (screen name: EmptyCanOwupass) and that place looks great! You guys are some true artists with ore, and fighting those goblins was much less of a chore with other players. :)

Paprikka

11 hours in and I still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of the game. I just managed to reach the underworld on my second trip underground and snag a pair of hellforges before dying. I have some gold equipment and a grappling hook now so I'm hoping things are easier. Probably my favorite pickup from the Steam sale.

Derrick01

Banned
Retro said:
No worries about soil if you're planting them in pots, but you'll need to utilize lava and water to get Fireblossom and Waterleaf to reach maturity (i.e. drop seeds on harvest).

Ah ok, and I'm guessing there's no way to store water and lava in some kind of container?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sarcasm said:
I went on the server and was promptly ignored by 5 other people =p

Considering how we're now exceeding 8 people at a time, sorry about that. :p

Which player were you?

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
I knew I'd see you playing this one day!

Sarcasm

HaRyu said:
Considering how we're now exceeding 8 people at a time, sorry about that. :p

Which player were you?

I used my GAF name to present myself that I was a GAF dude =)

I don't mind I stayed on. I started a new character which was bad choice since I fell to my death many times lol.

Forkball

Ok a few questions about building a house. On the edges of the house, there seem to be some open gaps, and I can't place walls there to patch them up. How can I fix this?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
Ok a few questions about building a house. On the edges of the house, there seem to be some open gaps, and I can't place walls there to patch them up. How can I fix this?

When you place walls, you can place them where a block will cover the edge perfectly. Unless you're talkin about something else, then in that case, a screenshot would help.

elwes

I've been playing this religiously since early last week. I made the mistake of making my first world as large as possible, though. I restarted on a smaller world and I'm already liking it more. Large is just too damn big for one person.

How do you guys get to a point where you feel comfortable summoning an Eater of Worlds? I've reached a point where I can start breaking shadow orbs (at least I think), but I feel wholly unprepared to take on one of these guys. Plus, I don't have any magic mirrors to get me to the surface fast. I feel like I've progressed a decent amount in my first world, but am nowhere near some of the stuff I've been seeing in the wiki and on youtube.

Sophia

dream said:
[IMG ]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558661528629162308/858DB46016A9AFBCFBE3F935FA42F154363B7519/[/IMG]

What are those hearts and how do I pick them up?

They increase your maximum life, and you smack them with a hammer.

elwes said:
I've been playing this religiously since early last week. I made the mistake of making my first world as large as possible, though. I restarted on a smaller world and I'm already liking it more. Large is just too damn big for one person.

How do you guys get to a point where you feel comfortable summoning an Eater of Worlds? I've reached a point where I can start breaking shadow orbs (at least I think), but I feel wholly unprepared to take on one of these guys. Plus, I don't have any magic mirrors to get me to the surface fast. I feel like I've progressed a decent amount in my first world, but am nowhere near some of the stuff I've been seeing in the wiki and on youtube.

With Eater of World you really want a good ranged weapon. A gun, Starfury, Vilethorn, Ball O'hurt, etc Once you have one of them + the mana and healing pots (I usually take around 20 or so to fight EateR) you should be ready.

dream

Thanks guys.

This gets so claustrophobic once I dig a decent amount. Now I'm worried because I'm running out of torches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom