• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spat_triate

Just got it on the Steam Sale and was introduced to the mechanics by a nice dude named Harlan. I can already tell this game will own my life.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ServerIP: 173.65.165.253
No password
8am-ish (Eastern) to 3am-ish(Eastern)

I'm just gonna quote that since the IP address tends get lost a few pages back.

I'll probably head over to the GAF server if there is any activity.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Just bought it.

Which world size do you guys suggest? Go ahead and go with large or go small till I learn it better?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Jobacca said:
Just bought it.

Which world size do you guys suggest? Go ahead and go with large or go small till I learn it better?

For a SP game? Small would be best, until you get the hang of things.

Retro

Since we have all these new players coming in because of the awesome deal, I'm going to hang out on the GAF server for a bit with an inventory of not-game breaking but still very useful items to give away to anyone who shows up.

Like Iron-quality tools, a miner's helm, a couple odds and ends and accessories... so visit the Gaf server. First come first serve, I've got two stacks of iron and will make whatever item you want on request (sword, boardsword, bow, or tools). Trying to have enough for everyone so probably 2 items a customer.

Also a bunch of semi-rare costume items, first come, first serve... like a Hero's Costume (Link) and a pair of Sunglasses... so... yeah, come to GAF server...

ServerIP: 173.65.165.253
No password

Retro

El Sloth said:
Fuck that, I'm going all in.

Large up in this bitch.

Large is HUGE. Even on my small map it feels like going from one end to the other takes forever. Small is best unless you have multiple people.

Edit: Haha, great minds think alike. Seriously, Large is enormous.

Sophia

I like large maps better. Seems like the underground is better fleshed out and easier to explore.

Brazil said:
Yes, it has.

If you people want something there, you gotta ask.

It's up to date with the latest patch, buddy.

It wasn't updated at the time of my post. =p

El Sloth

Banned
Hawkian said:
Large is HUGE.
Retro said:
Large is HUGE. Even on my small map it feels like going from one end to the other takes forever. Small is best unless you have multiple people.
This is only encouraging me further!

Look forward to my OHGODWATHAVEIDONED: post in a couple of hours.

Retro

El Sloth said:
This is only encouraging me further!

Look forward to my OHGODWATHAVEIDONED: post in a couple of hours.

Map Sizes: (in Tiles)

Small - 4200 x 1200
Medium - 6300 x 1800
Large - 8400 x 2400

The wiki also gives the approximate distance in feet (one block = two feet). The large map clocks in at 16800 x 4800, or just over three miles wide.

Still lots of goodies on the GAF server, new players... come get 'em...

Derrick01

Banned
Any tips for that giant worm boss? I had a wooden platform built above ground so I could dodge him easier, and I have that spiked ball weapon which does a good number of damage but I'm pretty sure I didn't kill him. I read that if you take too long he'll "run away" and I'm pretty sure that's what happened because what was left of him just stopped showing up and it said he was defeated.

At least I was able to finally build my nightmare pickaxe from all the scraps he left behind.

Heysoos

Question. I built a couple of houses hoping to attract people, but no one is coming? :( I followed the simple guidelines when building, walls, torch, chair, table, etc. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to go get the people from somewhere?

El Sloth

Banned
Heysoos said:
Question. I built a couple of houses hoping to attract people, but no one is coming? :( I followed the simple guidelines when building, walls, torch, chair, table, etc. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to go get the people from somewhere?
I remember a video I saw said there had to be a "background". No idea what that means though since I'm only getting around to install the game now, haha.

Edit: Steam Servers are too busy. :(

Sophia

Brazil said:
I'm not talking about the server information.

That's what I was referring to in my original post, as the person was asking about servers. =P

Heysoos said:

Are they big enough? Is there a proper door? You're using something other than dirt? Have you met the requirement for the NPC in question? It's best if you show a screenshot of what you've built.

Retro

Heysoos said:

Apart from The Guide, all the NPCs have specific requirements needed before they move in;

Merchant: More than 50 silver.
Dryad: Defeat at least one boss (King Slime does not count)
Arms Dealer: Have a gun in your inventory (generally, just keep it until he shows)
Demolitionist: Have a bomb in your inventory (ditto)
Nurse: Find and use one Life Crystal.

If your rooms are correct with doors, walls, etc., then usually it's just a matter of waiting for them to show.

El Sloth said:
I remember a video I saw said there had to be a "background". No idea what that means though since I'm only getting around to install the game now, haha.

There are foreground walls that you can't walk through, and background walls that you can. Both are required for a room to be NPC-ready.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Arms Dealer: Have a gun in your inventory (generally, just keep it until he shows)

Also, the Space Gun, and possibly the Sand Gun, do not count as "guns". Please keep that in mind.

And if the NPCs show up, but dont actually move into the room, just go far away from them for a while, they'll auto-teleport into it at some point.

Oh, and I believe new NPCs always show up when the Sun rises.

So just bought the 4 pack for myself, girlfriend and some friends. Any beginner tips to a noob here? Have never played Minecraft but I heard it's very similar, going to read the OP now :p

epmode

So I guess this game just doesn't run at 2560x1600? I see a Terraria config file in my Documents folder but it's not editable by a standard editor.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Oh wow this game is fun. I'm surprised that this and Frozen Synapse, two indie titles, are my favorite pickups out of the sale.

How is it on multiplayer? Just everyone on one server building and exploring?

Enco

Jobacca said:
Oh wow this game is fun. I'm surprised that this and Frozen Synapse, two indie titles, are my favorite pickups out of the sale.

How is it on multiplayer? Just everyone on one server building and exploring?
There are lots of servers around the web and one main GAF one.

Yup. It's a large world so there's usually plenty to explore but obviously after a certain amount of time it's likely that the world will be emptied (or close to it).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing all the new players pop up... some more tips:

CHATTING ON THE SERVER: Hit Enter, type something, hit enter again to actually say it.

OPENING DOORS: right click on a door.

RIGHT CLICKING: If something is interactive (doors, chests, NPCs), right clicking on it will activate it.

"I can see you": even though I'm not actually on the server, I can see when people come on, when they leave, and what they're saying. I can even talk through the server, so you're not necessarily alone if you happen to be the only player there. I have no way of saying I'm AFK, so holler if you need something, I might be around.

TALK TO THE GUIDE: On the current server, he's the non-bearded guy on the top floor of HQ (the building to the left of where you spawned). Cycle through all he has to say. Go back to him once in a while, because he sometimes has new things to say to you. Show him things you found, he can tell you what combines w/ what to make stuff. If you're new to the game, the Guide is pretty much the instruction manual. Talk to him.

INVENTORY, EQUIP AND CRAFT SCREEN ARE THE SAME THING: Hit ESC to access this screen. Inventory is the set of boxes top left, Equips are on the far right, crafting is at the bottom (its a scrolling menu for crafting). To equip stuff, drag armor/accessories to the boxes.

PvP AND GROUPS: See those swords and shields above the Equip section? Click on the swords to activate/deactivate PvP, by default, its off, and you cant hurt people if they dont have PvP turned on. Groups let you see the distance and position of everyone currently in that group (think radar). Generally, the regulars on the server use the Green group, so you can set it to that if you want.

NEW PEOPLE WILL DIE, A LOT: You will die. Get used to it. The only thing you lose is some money, but thats it, you dont lose any items (unless you're in Hardcore mode, w/c you shouldnt be doing anyway if you just started). Dying is a learning experience.

All right, any more new people gonna pop up? :p

Retro

Zee-Row said:
I downloaded the game and I just don't get it. I was expecting a randomly generated 2-D side scroller.

It's more like a 2-D building / exploring / adventure game.

The best advice I can give to new players; use your axe to chop down some trees, kill a few slimes for Gel, make some torches (from the inventory menu), and just start digging with your pick. Eventually, you'll find metal or loot. From there it's a constant search for new things, which is kind of spoiling the experience if I tell you.

And talk to your guide. He has all sorts of useful information for you.

I generally don't enjoy open-world exploration games very well (i.e. I didn't play Oblivion for as long as I see most people on GAF do). However, I'm buying this game solely based on the jizzfest going on in this and the Steam thread. Don't let me down GAF!

Enco

yellow submarine said:
I generally don't enjoy open-world exploration games very well (i.e. I didn't play Oblivion for as long as I see most people on GAF do). However, I'm buying this game solely based on the jizzfest going on in this and the Steam thread. Don't let me down GAF!
Well it's 2D so that's one less dimension to explore :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
yellow submarine said:

If you have OCD, you'll defnitely love this game.

BTW, yellow submarine... why is your submarine red?

HaRyu said:
BTW, yellow submarine... why is your submarine red?

youhaveactivatedmytrapcard.gif

:=)

It was the first image I could find and I was too lazy to modify it. Or I could be colorblind. Use the explanation that fits best.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DaBuddaDa said:
There is no built in support, though I can't imagine how you'd possibly build or mine anything using a controller. It's really a mouse-centric game.
I play it occasionally with a controller using a program called Total Game Control. But it's absolutely not ideal, mouse control is crucial for most specific tasks- certainly for building stuff.

mike23

epmode said:
So I guess this game just doesn't run at 2560x1600? I see a Terraria config file in my Documents folder but it's not editable by a standard editor.

You can just resize the window while it's open. I think it maxes at 1920x1200 at the moment though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom