• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
google tells me that this game is getting steamworks (achievements, cloud saves) at some point isnt it?

might hold off starting it until then.

lord knows I got enough games to play right now.

Sophia

funkystudent said:
google tells me that this game is getting steamworks (achievements, cloud saves) at some point isnt it?

might hold off starting it until then.

lord knows I got enough games to play right now.

I wouldn't hold off.

dream said:
Thanks guys.

This gets so claustrophobic once I dig a decent amount. Now I'm worried because I'm running out of torches.

Torches can be made at any time, so you can just take down spare wood with you.

Just bought the game today on Steam and checked out the GAF server. Wanted to give kudos to everyone who's been working in there - a ton of fantastic constructions - the tower to the sky, the guitar, airship - everything looks fantastic. Hoping to put some time into the single player and learn more of the basics and hopefully will be able to make some cool contributions in the future.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, I didn't know about cloud saving. That's gonna be awesome since I can run Terraria on my netbook and my work computer.

elwes

Marrshu said:
With Eater of World you really want a good ranged weapon. A gun, Starfury, Vilethorn, Ball O'hurt, etc Once you have one of them + the mana and healing pots (I usually take around 20 or so to fight EateR) you should be ready.

Wow, I am nowhere NEAR ready. I don't have any of those weapons, nor do I have mana...

Do you find those weapons via random drops from enemies further underground? I'm still rocking an Iron Broadsword. :lol

Retro

Should be three Magic Mirrors and 3 Horseshoes for anyone who needs them on the GAF server. First chest inside of the GAF HQ. Get em before they're gone.

dream said:
Now I'm worried because I'm running out of torches.

Just carry some Gel and Wood with you, or make them in bulk before you head down. Later on, you'll find some items (Bright Potions, Orb of Light, Molten Armor) that can make lighting a little easier.

elwes said:
Wow, I am nowhere NEAR ready. I don't have any of those weapons, nor do I have mana...

Do you find those weapons via random drops from enemies further underground? I'm still rocking an Iron Broadsword. :lol

Mana was an odd issue for me too because it's not immediately apparent how to get it. Take a Fallen Star to the Guide and he'll point you in the right direction.

As for weapons, most of those are found. If you're looking to upgrade from an Iron Broadsword, seek out Silver and Gold first.

Sophia

elwes said:

Yeah, I'd get a Gold Broadsword + Gold/Silver armor at least. Save Shurikens too. They're extremely useful for both the Eye and Eater.

ScRYeD

Retro said:
As for weapons, most of those are found. If you're looking to upgrade from an Iron Broadsword, seek out Silver and Gold first.

Another little tip once you've moved on from silver and gold armors also weapons I think, you should store them away since they have future uses.

dream

So I found enough iron to make an anvil, crafted new gear for myself, dug around a bit, made a house for my guide, and now I'm kind of confused. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do next?

Jobacca

Neo Member
Nurse just told me she doesn't give happy endings. This game sucks haha

I'm fascinated by my tunnel network I have made. But it's really an odd feeling knowing that I have so much more to explore.

The M.O.B

dream said:
So I found enough iron to make an anvil, crafted new gear for myself, dug around a bit, made a house for my guide, and now I'm kind of confused. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do next?

Dig all the way down to the lava area and make a molten armor, then try fighting some of the bosses.

I tried taking a screenshot, but apparently "Print Screen" didn't work, but, I found this.. grey... claw looking thing coming from the ground inside a cave... it didn't hurt me when I walked up to it, but when I tried hitting it with a hammer I got hurt like.. 20hp.

What is it?

Derrick01

Banned
phosphor112 said:
I tried taking a screenshot, but apparently "Print Screen" didn't work, but, I found this.. grey... claw looking thing coming from the ground inside a cave... it didn't hurt me when I walked up to it, but when I tried hitting it with a hammer I got hurt like.. 20hp.

What is it?

A demon altar most likely. You can't do anything to it but you'll need to find one when you have certain ingredients for items that can only be built using one.

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Demon_Altar

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
phosphor112 said:

What is it?

Its a Steam game, so you hit F12 to take a screenshot.

And from your description, definitely a demon altar.

Wallach

Wish I had the money to grab this, looks pretty interesting. Won't be able to make a deposit until tomorrow when it goes back up to ten bucks, blargh.

im playing the game and i like it but i don't get the point of the game. if everytime you start, the world is randomly generated, how do you progress? you collect all this loot or whatever to what end?

Retro

dream said:

Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold. Don't rush down to hell level. I went down there in a full gold armor/gear and was promptly stomped... and that's when it was a CAKEWALK (no bats or lava slimes, Fire Imps were 2 or 3 at a time, but could be killed with lava...).

I'd suggest after getting as much Gold gear as possible, you head towards the Corruption and start finding some Demonite. Make sure you're finding Life Crystals, gems, and accessories. The next step is going to possibly put you up against some bosses like the Eye of Cthulu and you'll want potions, a respectable ranged weapon (or shurikens from the Merchant) and be ready for a fight.

First thing to make with demonite is a Nightmare Pickaxe (ask the guide for ingredient list) so you can harvest Meteorites. Before you go smashing shadow orbs though, you'll want to at least tangle with the Eye as a sort of bench mark.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
im playing the game and i like it but i don't get the point of the game. if everytime you start, the world is randomly generated, how do you progress? you collect all this loot or whatever to what end?

It's not randomly generated each time. Once you create a new world, whatever you do in that world is saved.... or it should be unless you've found some kind of new bug or something.

HaRyu said:
Its a Steam game, so you hit F12 to take a screenshot.

And from your description, definitely a demon altar.

I totally forgot that worked for Non-valve games. Man I'm dumb. I use it on TF2 CONSTANTLY.

EDIT: Yeah, it's a demon's altar. I'm having trouble finding useful areas. I run around, find a cave. run down into it, and they end up not going too far. When I do dig down, I find nothing. Don't know what to do.

Retro said:
It's not randomly generated each time. Once you create a new world, whatever you do in that world is saved.... or it should be unless you've found some kind of new bug or something.

oh i see. so in the world you generate, you can progress to an end-game and fight bosses/etc?

Retro

FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh i see. so in the world you generate, you can progress to an end-game and fight bosses/etc?

Yep, and in future patches they are adding even more things to do at the end-game. Right now there are three bosses, tons of loot, lots of building materials, and quite a few little side-things to do. It's not a standard game by any means and the game really only ends when you want it to.

Most of us who have found everything and done everything have been building. Some of us do pixel art-esque stuff, some make buildings.

Some people build elaborate adventure maps.

The next patch will, from what we've heard, add some inventory management changes and such in preparation for patch 1.1 which is supposed to be a fairly significant upgrade.

joesmokey

Been playing this non-stop since the Steam sale. It's pretty awesome, I feel guilty for grabbing it for so cheap.

I haven't done any adventuring or anything yet, been sticking mainly to digging. Do you have to be pretty well geared up for bosses/dungeons and such?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
joesmokey said:
Been playing this non-stop since the Steam sale. It's pretty awesome, I feel guilty for grabbing it for so cheap.

I haven't done any adventuring or anything yet, been sticking mainly to digging. Do you have to be pretty well geared up for bosses/dungeons and such?

Pretty much. Your equipment should pretty much be anything higher than Gold before you try the harder stuff (meteors, corruption, hell, jungle, bosses)

I mean, you COULD try... hell, you might be really skilled. But for most people, I would advise waiting till you're above Gold-tier equipment. Or at least in a group.

Sdawg36

Got the game during from the steam sale, and its sooooo addicting. Now I just need to keep mining to get some decent equipment since the desert I spawned in has corruption on one end and a jungle on the other and I promptly get my sorry butt handed to me quickly. I did make it a priority to surround the guide in a sand pit and left him for zombies after he got in my house the first night and got my killed multiple times by opening the doors for the zombie mob. Saw some cool stuff on the GAF server like the big tower and guitar, hopefully when I have some armor and a decent weapon I'll try to see the rest of it without getting mobbed by slime,lol.

Wark

I picked this up during yesterday's sale and I'm enjoying it so far. I just jumped on the GAF server and I'm really impressed by it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wark said:
I picked this up during yesterday's sale and I'm enjoying it so far. I just jumped on the GAF server and I'm really impressed by it.

Heh, glad you enjoyed it.

BTW everyone, server shuts down at 12 midnight (Eastern), in case people aren't aware of the times. The server should be back up tomorrow morning, sometime after 8am.

joesmokey

Holy crap, I built a Light Saber! I don't even remember how I found the Meteorite Bars, but this thing is so awesome.

Hell is pretty hard... Time to gear up as recommended and just hunt for ore. I'm not having any luck finding Moonglow. I really want more Spelunker Potions, they're so amazing for mining.

demolitio

Thanks for the help tonight. I can already tell I'll be too addicted to this, but I'll take whatever I can get that takes my mind away from bad news...haha.

Retro

joesmokey said:
Holy crap, I built a Light Saber! I don't even remember how I found the Meteorite Bars, but this thing is so awesome.

Hell is pretty hard... Time to gear up as recommended and just hunt for ore. I'm not having any luck finding Moonglow. I really want more Spelunker Potions, they're so amazing for mining.

Moonglow only blooms fully at night. Wait for nightfall, hunt some up and plant the seeds in a pot. Harvest them at night and you should always get plenty of seeds to keep things going.

The hardest ingredient, at least to me, is the gold ore.

demolitio said:
Thanks for the help tonight. I can already tell I'll be too addicted to this, but I'll take whatever I can get that takes my mind away from bad news...haha.

Happy to help. The learning curve is a bit high, but once you get a feel for digging, smelting, crafting, building, and fighting, it gets addictive quick. Sorry to hear about your 'bad news' (I've been avoiding the rest of GAF because of Dance with Dragons spoilers, so if I missed a thread about it, sorry), hope Terraria helps.

Building for me has been a very relaxing experience. Digging gets very zen like and addictive, but building is just so mellow and creative, I find most of my time is spent making cool-looking shit.

demolitio

Retro said:
Happy to help. The learning curve is a bit high, but once you get a feel for digging, smelting, crafting, building, and fighting, it gets addictive quick. Sorry to hear about your 'bad news' (I've been avoiding the rest of GAF because of Dance with Dragons spoilers, so if I missed a thread about it, sorry), hope Terraria helps.

Building for me has been a very relaxing experience. Digging gets very zen like and addictive, but building is just so mellow and creative, I find most of my time is spent making cool-looking shit.

Yea, it's definitely more difficult than Minecraft in the beginning since there's so much going on it's overwhelming. You definitely taught me a lot and have me eager to play more. Yea, I bought the game to give me something to do after tomorrow's doctor's visit to get my mind off of it. Game's have been my refuge for two years now as I haven't been able to work, so cheap games like this that have a lot of depth are exactly what I'm looking for since it keeps you busy. Hell, a friend got me Minecraft for the exact same reason about a year ago. Now I hope to get him involved with this game. Building is definitely a relaxing experience that takes your mind off of things while giving you a reason to come back some more to make your creations even cooler. I still need to finish my Minas Tirith creation on MC but my friends stopped playing. Terraria definitely has more freedom in the building aspect so I'm excited.

Thanks again though. I think I would've been too overwhelmed to continue tonight but I had the guide links all up ready to read. Now those guides are easier to understand since I have some knowledge of the game.

LogicStep

I managed to set it up with a friend with Hamachi and that was much easier to do. Played for 3 hours before I started to get tired of it. Really fun game!

elwes

I convinced a friend to get this tonight. Spent most of our time messing around so he could learn the game, but we accomplished one thing of merit.

js2421.png

daviyoung

Banned
Got it on the Steam sale. A couple of points:

1. It's ridiculously addictive

2. I really struggled with the basic gameplay at the start.

3. Night lasts too damn long.

saunderez

daviyoung said:
3. Night lasts too damn long.
Night never worried me because I was always underground. Go underground and build barricades both above and below you to protect yourself from slimes while you mine seams of metal/gems/whatever the hell you need.

elwes said:
I convinced a friend to get this tonight. Spent most of our time messing around so he could learn the game, but we accomplished one thing of merit.
Awesome, a tomb fitting for The Guide!

Randomizer

Got this today and put it on to try for a couple of minutes, ending up spending 3 hours playing and haven't even scratch the surface of this thing. I started on a medium map which I have now found out is probably a bit to big to solo so I'm going to make a small map. Also did anyone else find that they are not able to play this in 1920x1080 everything is just way too small on my 40" HDTV I had to set it to 720p which helped but I'm wondering if there is a sweet spot anyone have any suggestions?

Retro

1820j.jpg

Ahha, we have fun though... when we're not accidentally killing people by giving them Anti-Gravity potions and watching them splatter on the underside of objects above them... Gotta remember to farm some more horseshoes today, that and lava have been the biggest killers on GAF server and they both could be fixed quite easily.

Oh well, next patch should be soon (fingers crossed) and that will add some inventory improvements and maybe a few new items. Gonna be a hard push to 1.1, though... that's the one that's gonna be bursting at the seams with awesome.

See everyone in game if you stop by the GAF server, I should be on off-and-on through the day to help people along. Once you get over that learning curve, it hooks ya quick.

Finally bought this over the weekend on the Steam sell and it is so damn addictive. Already threw about 6-7 hours into it and feel like I have barely started at all. I started on a Medium world becuase I wanted a lot of exploring to do. So much fun. The only thing that frustrates me so far is using the hammer on the walls takes so damn long.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
God, so many people came on the server yesterday. If I missed you, sorry about that. :p

Yesterday was pretty much a learning experience for at least the regulars who've always been coming to the server. As Retro mentioned earlier, lava was a big killer yesterday, but not because players went underground to where the lava was, but because we used lava for pits outside one of the homes. Also, a lot of overzealous new players accidentally (or purposely) messing up structures/walkways/pretty much everything. :p

Stuff was given away, HQ storage pretty much looted, someone tapped the White Mage's ass (yes, I'm gonna keep mentioning that, because its FUNNY), and there was even an impromptu Boss Rush session. Overall, good times.

I think the highest amount of players we had at one time was 12. That may not sound like a lot, for an online game, but it was a lot for us. To be safe, I've bumped up the max player amount to 30 today.

Remember everyone, when the update hits, we're going to have a fresh world on the server. The current world will be archived, and I'll have a link for download so you guys can run around in it at your heart's content. Luckily, I've also backed up the world a few times, so there's several "states" of the current world (current state and Pre-Steam Sale state). So don't worry too much about "messing" up the world when you hop on, its not like we can't fix it. (However, when the new world goes up, PLEASE don't mess that one up. :p )

So played on the GAF server for a bit yesterday, with Retro and Snuggler and all. It was a blast, although I lost all the money I collected in singleplayer from dying to much haha.

Loving the game, can't wait to play some tonight

Anyone playing on the server want to put their steam ID? I tried to add you yesterday Retro I believe.

Mine is Snk_Fanatic

Snkfanatic said:
So played on the GAF server for a bit yesterday, with Retro and Snuggler and all. It was a blast, although I lost all the money I collected in singleplayer from dying to much haha.

Loving the game, can't wait to play some tonight
You can buy a Piggy Bank from a merchant for 1g and store your money in there (along with any other items you have)... actually if you're on the GAF server there already is a piggy bank laying around. Stuff you store in a piggy bank is only accessible by you unlike chests which anyone can loot from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom