• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DaBuddaDa said:
There is no built in support, though I can't imagine how you'd possibly build or mine anything using a controller. It's really a mouse-centric game.

Damn no comfy couch for me :(

Forkball

I am so confused. How do I build a shelter? Is it like Minecraft where you just place blocks? Why don't I have walls in the background, it's just the sky? Can I kill rabbits? WHAT'S GOING ON?

Voidguts

Forkball said:
I am so confused. How do I build a shelter? Is it like Minecraft where you just place blocks? Why don't I have walls in the background, it's just the sky? Can I kill rabbits? WHAT'S GOING ON?

there are background blocks you can craft - placing them also prevents monsters from spawning in your house. you can kill rabbits.. err.. a form of rabbit.. by putting vile powder on them. pretty sure you can do that with goldfish as well.

checked out the GAF server (my in-game name is Midi), saw some really cool stuff.. I would caution anyone who just picked up the game today against going to the server and grabbing a bunch of armor/tools/materials, though. you'll kill a lot of the fun/difficulty of the game for yourself by doing that.

can't wait for the next patch, and especially the "end game" stuff beyond that.

Retro

Logging back on the GAF server to give out Horseshoes, Magic Mirrors, a variety of Iron tools or weapons (two per customer), an Aglet (run speed up) and a complete Archeologist's Outfit. I also have some Mana Crystals (1 per customer) so you can actually use your mirror.... sorry Charsace.

Forkball said:

There's foreground and background walls. Foreground walls are just blocks of material. You can even use raw stone and wood. Background walls need to be created at a workbench. You click to fill in both.

No, rabbits cannot be killed... but god help you when there's a Blood Moon.

Mista Koo said:
So is this game winnable? As in is it purely sandboxish that goes on forever or is there objectives/levels to beat?

You kind of set your own goals, but eventually you will find 1 of every weapon, kill all the bosses, etc., so there are milestones. Most of us who have been at it since launch are builders.

That said, they usually do a patch or two a month and add lots of new things to find and do.

LogicStep

Questions:

I know it has multiplayer, would it be hard to set it up to play with a friend? Say 2 player coop? What about more people, how many can play together? I ask because I see people saying that they can't figure out how to play together.

I just watched a video of 2 guys playing and the game just clicked with me and I need to get it!

zazrx said:
Questions:

I know it has multiplayer, would it be hard to set it up to play with a friend? Say 2 player coop? What about more people, how many can play together? I ask because I see people saying that they can't figure out how to play together.

I just watched a video of 2 guys playing and the game just clicked with me and I need to get it!

I'll start with I haven't tried since the first update after launch but I was never able to get in with or without hamacci. I even had my Internet changed and got a new router (not for the game) and I couldn't get it to work. My room mate and I could just not get into a game together. Seems like your mileage may vary. Many people seem to have no problem from what I can see.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mista Koo said:
So is this game winnable?
Absolutely, definitely, no. It's without a doubt as open-ended as MineCraft in that regard.

As in is it purely sandboxish that goes on forever or is there objectives/levels to beat?
There are concrete objectives and accomplishments. There are bosses (complete with congratulatory messages on killing one), hard-to-find loot, a finite number of environments to discover in a given world map.

However, "purely sandbox" still applies.

LogicStep

VGChampion said:
I'll start with I haven't tried since the first update after launch but I was never able to get in with or without hamacci. I even had my Internet changed and got a new router (not for the game) and I couldn't get it to work. My room mate and I could just not get into a game together. Seems like your mileage may vary. Many people seem to have no problem from what I can see.
Hmm, anyone else? In a video I saw it works with ip addresses right? Can I have more than 1 person join me?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
zazrx said:
Hmm, anyone else? In a video I saw it works with ip addresses right? Can I have more than 1 person join me?

As the one who runs the GAF server, I can assure you can set it to however many people you want (server is usually set to 15, but it never goes that high... yet).

The higher you go, the more powerful your computer should be though. Since we havent stressed test the server, i have no idea whats the max load for my computer.

Its not that hard to setup a server (non-Hamachi). If you have a router, I recommend you use this site: http://portforward.com/

Find your router, click on the Terraria instrucitons, and just follow them. If you have any difficulty or questions about setting up the server, let me know.

LProtag

Damn, the price went up. I was waiting to finish studying before I purchased it.

Does anyone have any spots left in one of the earlier 4 packs? I can pay you right away if you do. PM me.

Ugh.

LogicStep

HaRyu said:
As the one who runs the GAF server, I can assure you can set it to however many people you want (server is usually set to 15, but it never goes that high... yet).

The higher you go, the more powerful your computer should be though. Since we havent stressed test the server, i have no idea whats the max load for my computer.

Its not that hard to setup a server (non-Hamachi). If you have a router, I recommend you use this site: http://portforward.com/

Find your router, click on the Terraria instrucitons, and just follow them. If you have any difficulty or questions about setting up the server, let me know.
I see, thanks!

Retro

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'll youtube some vids later but is this game basically like SOTN/Metroid?

Not entirely. You spend most of the game digging and building. It's not like a randomly generated side-scroller, it's more like... minecraft in 2-D. But with better combat, bosses, loot, etc.

Just bought this, did anyone else have troubles installing the .NET framework before playing? It loads, but then it just sits trying to download it, and never gets anywhere...

Retro

I'm officially out of Iron Bars, I swear we had 6 new people today on the GAF server. Out of my spare horseshoes and magic mirrors too, I even gave up my own so somebody could have one.

Everybody seems to jump into Lava at least once too.

I'm leaving an Archeologist's Outfit in a chest somewhere, along with some torches, some iron bars, a Spelunker Potion and a healing potion. First person to it can have all of it. It is not anywhere particularly dangerous. You can find it by heading right from the initial spawn point.

I would like to also add that HaRyu and I have been hashing out some ideas for the next GAF server and we're going to build in a little tutorial so new players can start off on the right foot. The way GAF server is now, you load up into a mostly dug-out heavily-built up area with lots of stuff going on at once.

New server will hit when the next patch does, and we're discussing putting in some loot and such for new players to find.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
I'm officially out of Iron Bars, I swear we had 6 new people today on the GAF server. Out of my spare horseshoes and magic mirrors too, I even gave up my own so somebody could have one.

Oh, we had way more than 6 people, I can guarantee that. I swear they need to let us keep server logs, or a way to generate server stats...

Retro said:
I would like to also add that HaRyu and I have been hashing out some ideas for the next GAF server and we're going to build in a little tutorial so new players can start off on the right foot. The way GAF server is now, you load up into a mostly dug-out heavily-built up area with lots of stuff going on at once.

Basically, I have some ideas we're gonna try and use in the next world when the update hits. Most of the rules/stuff we have on the current world will carry over, but we'll also be adding some things, and expanding on current ideas. Essentially, we're going to try and keep some content/events occuring, that way the world isnt cleared in 3 friggin days. :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
FrenchMovieTheme said:
Im buying it later tonight. Can i then give it to 3 other peeps? If so i will at no charge.... niners fans only though

You better test them... you know you'll get people faking it. :p

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Sucks if you missed the deal but don't be stubborn, just buy it for $5. It's easily worth that right now, and there are lots of content patches down the road.

Zek said:
Sucks if you missed the deal but don't be stubborn, just buy it for $5. It's easily worth that right now, and there are lots of content patches down the road.
If the price falls down to 2.50 again, then I think all the people who post like this should buy an extra copy to give out. Ya know, seeing as it is easily worth 5 bucks. For me? I'll wait for it to come back down.

Derrick01

Banned
Retro said:

If you guys need some bars I can try and drop some off later. I also have a few piece of copper gear and some equippable items stashed away for my friend...except he chose not to buy it. I don't know if I have a magic mirror but I could drop some other stuff off anyway for newbies.

anddo0

Quick notes:

I hate mud. I really do :/

I stumbled into an underground jungle area with these huge hornets and man eating planets. The good news is I found not one, not two, but three shadow orbs, all within digging range of each other. The bad news, I blew myself up trying to get to one. I'd never used dynamite until now. I had no idea the blast radius was that wide :/

Back to the grind. I'm getting at least two of the three before the night is out.

Also. I'm 0-4 against Eye of Cthulhu. I either flat out die, or it turns day time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
anddo0 said:
Quick notes:

I stumbled into an underground jungle area with these huge hornets and man eating planets. The good news is I found not one, not two, but three shadow orbs, all within digging range of each other. The bad news, I blew myself up trying to get to one. I'd never used dynamite until now. I had no idea the blast radius was that wide :/

Back to the grind. I'm getting at least two of the three before the night is out.

Also. I'm 0-4 against Eye of Cthulhu. I either flat out die, or it turns day time.

What weapon are you using? Armor? Accessories?

Derrick01

Banned
anddo0 said:
Quick notes:

I recommend building a wooden platform in the sky, and another one above it so you have moving space to dodge him. I would also have plenty of range weapons available too. When I fought him and beat him I had a gold bow, at least 100 jester arrows, a few unholy, and like 200 flaming arrows. I also had a bunch of shrukiens, throwing knives and poison throwing knives.

Also make sure you have tons of health potions and those underground mushrooms to be safe. It's a tough fight at first but you'll get it eventually.

anddo0

Exuro said:
Are you using potions? Also, what kind of gear do you have?

HaRyu said:
What weapon are you using? Armor? Accessories?

I'm using a mix of lesser healing potions and blue mushrooms.

I'm wearing all gold armor. My weapons are gold broadsword, gold bow with flaming arrows and shrukiens) My accessories are (shackle, ankle of wind, cloud in a bottle, band of regeneration and feral claws)

Derrick01 said:
I recommend building a wooden platform in the sky, and another one above it so you have moving space to dodge him. I would also have plenty of range weapons available too. When I fought him and beat him I had a gold bow, at least 100 jester arrows, a few unholy, and like 200 flaming arrows. I also had a bunch of shrukiens, throwing knives and poison throwing knives.

Also make sure you have tons of health potions and those underground mushrooms to be safe. It's a tough fight at first but you'll get it eventually.

I'll have to try that. I think I lose a lot of time when he goes underground. I've been fighting him in front of my spawn. Which is all flat land.

I managed to get him down to 600 hp with lot's of life left. But, the sun came up :(

DanDeschain said:
Whats the optimal resolution for this game? I was playing at 1920x1080, but everything looked kinda small.

I would like to know what others think of this as well. I wish this game had a zoom in and our feature. Everything is way to small at 1920x1080.

LProtag

I'm getting stuck on Requesting World Information while trying to get on the server. Any fixes for this?

Edit: Huh, just worked.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
InsertNameHere said:
I'm getting stuck on Requesting World Information while trying to get on the server. Any fixes for this?

Yeah, I'm noticing that some people are trying to connect, but just aren't. I've rebooted the server to see if it fixes the issue.

If anyone has server issues, please let me know. You can PM me, or if you want, just contact me through Steam. So do a search for "Harlan Ryudo", and try and contact me via the Steam messenger.

I'm noticing this is happening a lot TODAY for some reason (i've seen it happen before, but it was rare). It seems to have happened several times today, which is quite odd, its not like a new update kicked in.

Update: It "might" be my end. I need more complaints to be sure, so make sure you let me know if there's any issues.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Kerrby said:
This may be a dumb question but where's the game $2.49 on Steam?

It was 2.49 earlier, for a good couple of hours.

Then I assume they realized they were actually charging too little for it, so they increased the price to $4.99. People who were sitting on the fence when it was 2.49 waited a little too long. :p

LM4sure

Banned
I got it for $2.50. Not sure if it's worth more than that. If you didn't get in at that price I wouldn't recommend spending more.

Derrick01

Banned
anddo0 said:
I'm using a mix of lesser healing potions and blue mushrooms.

I'm wearing all gold armor. My weapons are gold broadsword, gold bow with flaming arrows and shrukiens) My accessories are (shackle, ankle of wind, cloud in a bottle, band of regeneration and feral claws)

I'll have to try that. I think I lose a lot of time when he goes underground. I've been fighting him in front of my spawn. Which is all flat land.

I managed to get him down to 600 hp with lot's of life left. But, the sun came up :(

Yup you need plenty of time to kill him, even with much better gear if you choose to go back and kill him again for loot purposes. My advice if you don't have an eye to summon him with is go to your wooden platform before night and wait because I believe he has a 1/3 chance of spawning right as night comes, so you'll be ready and in position and you'll have all night to fight him.

The wood platforms are also ideal because like you said he goes underground and screws everything up. With the platforms you can shoot under yourself and damage the eye as he tries to come back up since he'll still be above ground. I also recommend a similar strategy for the eater of worlds when you fight him. You'll know why when you first run into him.

Dreavus

I agree $2.49 is a stupidly low price and I can absolutely see why they changed it... it was likely a legitimate mistake. I bought it at $10 and felt it was worth it, so those of you looking for a deal shouldn't immediately dismiss it at 5 bucks only because it was a bit less beforehand.

Kalnos

Banned
LM4sure said:
I got it for $2.50. Not sure if it's worth more than that. If you didn't get in at that price I wouldn't recommend spending more.

I bought it at $10 and I got more play time out of the game than I do out of most $50 games. It's easily worth that much but it's pretty important to research and know what you're buying (I.E. If it's your kind of game) before you buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom