• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston3000 said:
You can buy a Piggy Bank from a merchant for 1g and store your money in there (along with any other items you have)... actually if you're on the GAF server there already is a piggy bank laying around. Stuff you store in a piggy bank is only accessible by you unlike chests which anyone can loot from.

Awesome, thanks for the tip

How can I join a friend's game?

He gave me the server IP, I enter it but it just stuck on "Connecting to Server's IP".

What gives? (I'm very new to the game BTW)

Kalnos

Banned
Like2Drive said:

He gave me the server IP, I enter it but it just stuck on "Connecting to Server's IP".

Did he forward port 7777 correctly? Did you type his IP/Port correctly? If that isn't it he's probably trying to host with a dynamic IP or something.

Enco

Like2Drive said:

Sure you got the right ip?

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

You usually don't have to worry about forwarding. Try hamachi if that doesn't work. It's very easy to use.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
I knew I'd see you playing this one day!

Impossible to resist that at 2,49$ !!
Do you still play? I don't know how the multi work. Is it servers like Minecraft or we connect with some friends on a list?

Is there a "beginners" guide somewhere -- I eventually figured out how to get wood and stuff, but trying to build a house with a workbench in it... I failed miserably and merely constructed two stone walls on either side of my bench with several floating wood panels behind the bench -- it was high enough that i though only I could barely jump out but the slimes kept jumping in too. :|

A "getting started" guide or something would make it much more enjoyable to me.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
corrosivefrost said:
Is there a "beginners" guide somewhere -- I eventually figured out how to get wood and stuff, but trying to build a house with a workbench in it... I failed miserably and merely constructed two stone walls on either side of my bench with several floating wood panels behind the bench -- it was high enough that i though only I could barely jump out but the slimes kept jumping in too. :|

TO THE TERRARIA WIKI!

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Guide:Getting_started

Also, if you're lucky and stop by the server when either me (Harlan or Redshirt), Retro, or Hydeout are on, we can help you learn the ropes.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I Bought this on steam, don't really understand the game atm but for some reason I've spent hours this morning mining this area out, I'm finding it hard to stop, not even sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm thinking about splitting it up into rooms and making a house on top that leads down to it, I don't even know why lol

Can I secure my mine above from nasties? if so how do you do that?

I've bought it off of Steam Sale, as well. Been intrigued to buy it for a while before, tho, mainly because of entertaining Let's Plays of it.

I'm still figuring out the whole game, but I'm at Silver/Gold tier by now and got some Demonite. Also found one of those evil altars. Game is fun, though.

corrosivefrost said:

Here's something I posted a bit earlier in the thread.

Your house needs to have a roof and you can use raw wood as well, don't necessarily need to use stone. Build a box basically, at least 4 or 5 blocks high, using wood and a workbench you can build a door - so after you build your box cut a 3-block high hole in one wall and place a door there. After you got a box with a door use the workbench to build Wood or Stone Walls and fill in your box with those. With slime and wood you can build torches which you can use to light your house (place a torch on the wall).

That will protect you from slimes, zombies, and other creatures. During Blood Moons zombies will be able to break through your door so if you want to prepare ahead of time raise your door about 2 blocks higher than the floor (or just break the dirt away outside your door). You'll have to jump to enter your house but then you'll be safe from absolutely everything in there.

Not-so-ProTip: Hammers remove walls, platforms, doors, and furniture. Axes remove wood bricks if you use those to build your house.

atre324

Ok, I give up on my coral farm. According to the Wiki you need the following conditions for growing coral:

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Coral
Coral grows in the oceans at the ends of the world. It will grow on sand under water at least 5 tiles deep. It also requires to be within 250 tiles of the edges of the map and above the depth of 0 feet.

But if the GAF server has an aquarium further than 250 tiles away from the edge I have no idea why mine isn't growing. It's a layer of sand covered by water, about 20 tiles wide and 6 tiles deep.

Are you guys sure the coral wasn't placed there by whoever made the aquarium to begin with? Have you tried removing it and seeing if it regrows?

Bought the game on friday and put about 6 hours into it. It's great. I don't want to read the wiki because I much prefer finding things out for myself. I find that when I know what's in a game and what's possible, I start seeing the systems in the background and loose any sense of immersion.

kazinova

Outside of the usual "beginner's guide", what should my initial goals be if I want to plunder the depths of my world?

I'm got my floating fortress going and have the forge, workbench, anvil combo. What's my next step? Stock up on ore and bars? Go exploring? Is a gold pick axe the highest tier? The official wiki is only so good at explaining the early and late game goals. It totally ignores the phase of the game I'm in.

Also, do I need to access floating islands to get any good loot?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
kazinova said:
Outside of the usual "beginner's guide", what should my initial goals be if I want to plunder the depths of my world?

I'm got my floating fortress going and have the forge, workbench, anvil combo. What's my next step? Stock up on ore and bars? Go exploring? Is a gold pick axe the highest tier? The official wiki is only so good at explaining the early and late game goals. It totally ignores the phase of the game I'm in.

the molten pickaxe and molten hamaxe are the top tier

edit: as for what to do id head down to the stone layer and farm skeletons for a hook and make a grappling hook

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
kazinova said:

Floating islands are easy to get to (somewhat), the trick is finding them. You can get some decent loot from them.

If the highest tier axe you have is Gold, then you technically haven't even started the mid-phase yet. :p

The reason being is that you need Nightmare or Magma Pickaxe to even get the good ores (meteorite, obsidian, hellstone), as well as to actually break ebonstone (you could use dynamite for ebonstone, but that gets expensive).

Right now, you main priority is to get the Nightmare Pickaxe, but for that, you need Demonite and Shadow Scale, w/c you can only obtain by defeating bosses. Well, you can actually mine Demonite, but they're in tiny quantities. You'll still need to fight a boss for Shadow Scale.

Rygar 8 Bit said:
edit: as for what to do id head down to the stone layer and farm skeletons for a hook and make a grappling hook

Rygar has a point, if you don't have one yet, you definitely need a grappling hook. If you're gonna try and farm bosses, you'll probably have to go down into the corruption chasms anyway to blow the shadow orbs w/ dynamite (or hunt for demon altars so you can craft summon items). The grapple will help out a lot.

kazinova said:

From what I read/heard, floating islands hold rare items that improve everything height-related (Lucky Horseshoe, Red Balloon and Cloud in a Bottle). They're definitely good to have.

Gold is the best ore you can get with a standard pickaxe. You should try getting at least a Gold pickaxe as you'll need that to mine Demonite and I think Meteorite ores. Getting Silver/Gold tier armor is definitely useful too, as it'll protect you better. You might also want to farm 8 gold coins for a mining helmet, it's insanely useful.

As I got silver armor (and golden pants lul) as well as a gold pickaxe and sword, I went on to move to the lower layer of the underground (the one with the grey rocky walls). There you should farm Skeletons for hooks to make a grappling hook, another insanely useful tool.

I also recommend you to farm every iron you find, don't bother with copper as soon as you have reached silver/gold tier with all your equipment, though, unless you wanna sell the shit (which I did).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Majukun said:
bought it ,but i'll play it later.
any advice?

make sure the first time you play it you have a ton of time its gonna suck your whole day away like a time vampire before you even notice what time it is

kazinova said:

Step 1: Kill Eye of Cthulhu
Step 2: Do you have a Grappling Hook? Get One
Step 3: Go into the Corruption with a few stacks of dynamite and your Grappling Hook and climb down into the chasms
Step 4: Traverse the chasms and, using dynamite, dig to the Shadow Orbs and break them with your hammer.
Step 5: Kill The Eater of Worlds
Step 6: Demonite Pickaxe

Alternatively, instead of going into the chasms with dynamite collect Vile Powder (Vile Mushrooms at a Alchemy Station) and Rotten Chunks from the Corruption and find a Demon Alter to create Worm Food. Using Worm Food in the corruption will summon Eater of Worlds. Similarly, if Eye of Cthulhu hasn't spawned for you yet take 6 Lenses to a Demon Alter to craft the Suspicious Looking Eye to summon it.

Retro

kazinova said:

Semi Spoilers marked for people who don't want to know what the do next;

There's good loot everywhere in chests. You'll find a chest at the bottom of the ocean on one side of your map (it's either the left or right shore, never both), usually some flippers or a breathing reed. Those will both help as you encounter underground lakes and such.

After Gold, it does get a bit hazy and I hear they're trying to improve that part of the progression. Your next step will involve Corruption. Try to find more Life Crystals so you have a full 10 at least, then gather up some healing potions, shurikens (purchase from merchant at the very least) or other ranged weapon and prepare to fight the Eye of Cthulu.

That will allow the Dryad to move in and you can buy Purification Powder, which turns corrupted stone into regular stone so you can dig it up.

Hit the corruption, keep an eye out for purple-ish looking Demonite, and use your purification powder to smash a Shadow Orb or two. Be warned that smashing two or three will usually summon the Eater of Worlds, a pretty nasty boss... if he shows up, use your magic mirror (He's tough to fight underground) and get ready for a nasty fight.

Once you smash a Shadow Orb, there's a 50% chance a meteor will crash at midnight... use your gold+ quality pickaxe to carefully mine that (meteorite will injure you if you walk on it)... demonite and meteorite are your next levels of ore.

If you've managed to dig down to where lava is starting to appear, try to introduce water to lava and harvest the results... you'll need a Nightmare Pickaxe (made from demonite) to do so though.

Also, dig down and kill skeletons to get a Hook and show it to the Guide and see what you can make. It's an absolute game changer and pretty essential to getting down to the bottom of the corruption chasms.

Becquerel said:
I also recommend you to farm every iron you find, don't bother with copper as soon as you have reached silver/gold tier with all your equipment, though, unless you wanna sell the shit (which I did).

Eek... you can make bricks out of copper, silver and gold, you know. Don't toss that stuff away, save *everything*....

Houston3000 said:

Bugger, I forgot the Nightmare Pickaxe needs Shadow Scales from the Eater... yeah, gonna need to face both of those bosses down then.

Log4Girlz

Me and a friend were playing on a server, and since I got him into the game I felt entitled to the cloud in a bottle we found in a chest. Didn't tell him what I looted until way later when he asked why smoke was puffing out with each of my jumps :D

Railer

Houston3000 said:
Step 1: Kill Eye of Cthulu
Step 3: Go into the Corruption with a few stacks of dynamite and your Grappling Hook and climb down into the chasms
Step 4: Traverse the chasms and, using dynamite, dig to the Shadow Orbs and break them with your hammer.

Where do i find this corruption?
I've explored a bit and found "jungle" enemies and some caves, but nothing about corruption.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Railer said:
I've explored a bit and found "jungle" enemies and some caves, but nothing about corruption.

the sky will go orange and the ground will be purple and you will be swarmed by monsters

Railer said:
Just run along the surface, like Rygar said the sky will change to red and the grass will be purple. Also purple trees, mushrooms, big holes in the floor, and deadly plants you'll have to cut down. Flying monsters will be everywhere.

Alternatively, instead of going into the chasms with dynamite collect Vile Powder (Vile Mushrooms at a Alchemy Station) and Rotten Chunks from the Corruption and find a Demon Alter to create Worm Food. Using Worm Food in the corruption will summon Eater of Worlds. Similarly, if Eye of Cthulhu hasn't spawned for you yet take 6 Lenses to a Demon Alter to craft the Suspicious Looking Eye to summon it.

Retro said:
Eek... you can make bricks out of copper, silver and gold, you know. Don't toss that stuff away, save *everything*....

I don't care about Copper stuff to be frank. Everything Copper-related sucks balls, lol. And it looks terrible. I'd rather make a gold or silver house if anything.

Derrick01

Banned
oh my god I had skeletron down to 400 health before it turned daytime and I got insta killed. That's what I get for starting the fight halfway through night I guess :(

atre324

hmm... ok I think I know what's wrong. Has anyone seen coral grow in old worlds? Mine is a world from release or close to it, and I just ran to the end of the world and there's no coral in the ocean at all. The oceans are smaller for sure, but I was expecting at least a few pieces here and there... but there's nothing, just that back wall you get below ground (dirt with rocks in it). Maybe coral can't grow in older worlds?

I really don't want to have to start a new world :(

edit: ok no wait, coral is growing in my world, but only in one of the oceans where there is no backwall. I really don't understand this, grr so frustrating

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
atre324 said:
hmm... ok I think I know what's wrong. Has anyone seen coral grow in old worlds? Mine is a world from release or close to it, and I just ran to the end of the world and there's no coral in the ocean at all. The oceans are smaller for sure, but I was expecting at least a few pieces here and there... but there's nothing, just that back wall you get below ground (dirt with rocks in it). Maybe coral can't grow in older worlds?

some of the features from the last few patches require a new world

Retro said:
I agree with this.

Don't sell copper, it's not worth it. Turn them all into Copper Bricks or Copper Walls if you're overflowing with ore, you can also make Copper Chandeliers. None of that stuff is lower tier - it just looks different and half the game is built around the idea of building structures. Copper Walls look kick-ass with Gold Bricks. Honestly, a chest is a couple of iron and a some wood... no reason not to start a storage area filled with chests and materials.

Retro

Becquerel said:
I don't care about Copper stuff to be frank. Everything Copper-related sucks balls, lol. And it looks terrible. I'd rather make a gold or silver house if anything.

Meh, it has its uses;

276bZ.jpg

(Roof on the left, accent bricks on the right).

atre324 said:

With the way patches work requiring new worlds, I don't think it would be admonishable to use one of the map editor programs available online to move your structure to a new world. I haven't done it so I don't know exactly what it entails but you'll loose your tunnels and stuff.

Wessiej

Getting too addicted to this game. For the first time we made a shaft that goes 2500 feet deep, oh my, hell! Didn't found anything there though...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
With the way patches work requiring new worlds, I don't think it would be admonishable to use one of the map editor programs available online to move your structure to a new world. I haven't done it so I don't know exactly what it entails but you'll loose your tunnels and stuff.

We'll be using an editor on the new map to move over some tutorial rooms (among some other things).

Log4Girlz

So, if I dig around randomly, do I get as much ore as going into a pre-existing cavity? I know in minecraft natural caves are usually superior for finding ore. I'm at the stage of the game where I just constructed a grappling hook. Holycrap is the stone layer DEEP DOWN.

Retro

New info on 1.0.6, along with a poll to gather reactions to the post;

Blue said:
So, 1.0.6 is quickly becoming our most major game polishing patches yet. With all the GUI improvements, and all the balance being done, the game is feeling more complete, as to where it would have been if we had released a month later as we had planned, rather than early. While much of what I’m saying isn’t “new feature that hasn’t been revealed” information, it does go into more detail as to why we are making such changes.

When faced with the challenge of balancing a game, you always run the risks of upsetting players who are used to the way the game is currently played. Now that I'm on a developer team working on a game that ten's of thousands play daily, I understand why Blizzard got such a bad rap, but also now see they are just doing what needs to be done.

Terraria 1.0 to 1.0.5 has be seen by many as a BETA released game open to the public, and while we considered it to be full release with a few things we could add, we can see why they thought it was a beta. But 1.0.6 changes that. We've even discussed calling it 1.1 because its such a game changing update, but we want to save that distinction for our first large content update that will add more biomes, enemies and end game stuff. Like an MMO expansion would. So this patch remains named 1.0.6 for those reasons.

While the balance of the game in 1.0.5 does lend itself to seeming perfectly okay in the terms of 'playability', It does not take into account many of the new systems we plan to implement later. Things like PVP modes and more end game content, such as new harder areas and more bosses, require us to get many of the balance changes done now. It's best to get them out of the way, and set how the game should be played going forward, rather than changing it later on months down the line when the new things are added and see how they just don't work in the progression of the game as it is currently.

For those of you with high level characters, we suggest starting a completely new character on a completely new world as you will find your run through the game to be more satisfying with all the changes, especially the dungeon area and boss fights.

Game difficulty is also something we are focusing on this patch. The game itself is going to be about 150% more difficult than it is already. But this doesn't mean new players will find them self in a pickle from the get go. This simply means playing the game on soft-core mode will offer you more of a challenge than it previously did and you will need to play more strategically. Hardcore will seem, even more hardcore now as well with these changes.

The game-play mechanic in Terraria is gearing to be more RPG like every minute we spend working on it. As Re-digit stated in his blog, things like the healing system and magic system have had almost complete overhauls. In our current test build, you can't simply just spam heal yourself with potions anymore to win every battle. In fact, most boss battles will be nearly impossible to win without gearing yourself up fully, and planning out the battle beforehand. They are bosses after all, and shouldn't be complete pushovers that you can just spam heal and spam attack to win. No longer can you just fight the Eater of Worlds through death after death until he is defeated. Of course, theres always the chance we will end up not liking these changes and try to balance it a different way, as until a patch comes out nothing is set in stone.

Damage types have been implemented, and will be utilized going forward for buffs and debuffs to make sure certain kinds of attacks are buffed with one potion and not all of them. This also opens up to us the ability to have more 'class based' game-play. As we can now make newly implemented gears be set to buff all melee, ranged, or magic damages separately. Weapon tool-tips now state what kind of damage they do so you can choose what weapon to bring with you. This also opens up for us the chance to implement enemies that receive more or less damage from certain damage types later on (However that part won’t happen this patch).

With all the game-play changes and enhancements to make the game feel more challenging than your every day sandbox title, we are making sure to improve the GUI.
Redigit mentioned many of the improvements to the GUI in his last Dev Blog and since then, he's put many more into play. Things like; NPCs being able to sell back things you sold to them, and Ammo slots to help declutter your inventory some, make the player able to handle better the new challenges without making them feel overwhelmed. I know a lot of players will enjoy the option to lock their hot bar, so they don’t accidentally click to switch to another item during a hectic battle.

Enemies are also getting some changes to make sure a player who is fighting them wont always die because they can't spam heal any longer. Healing yourself will be simple out of battle, as standing still for a while will regen your health. And the Nurse will find herself being very useful during Goblin Invasions as the battle lasts long, and you won't be able to continuously rely on your potions.

Dungeons now re-quire a bit of exploration to be done before you can just grab all the good gear. The introduction of keys and locked chests has created a sense of ‘working towards a goal’ that was missing in the dungeon before. Along with the new trap (see spinning spike-ball) and an increase in spike spawns in all newly generated worlds dungeons, we feel this makes the place a whole lot more challenging and fun to explore.

Overall the game is more rewarding to play now. It's no longer a "I don't care about getting hurt because I can heal" situation all the time. If you wish to progress, you need to take your time, be cautious and make sure you set your gear a certain way that works for your play style and tactics. In multiplayer, having a team with a meleeist and a ranged player will now seem more useful, as teamwork will bring rise to a feeling of safety and strength.

We hope the new changes bring a more 'satisfied game-play' feeling to players, and the changes don't upset too many people. But as I said, they need to be done if future additions are to work correctly.

Ill leave you with a few more of the ‘smaller’ changes we've made, although a few were very hoped for by many players.

* Cactus no longer cause knock-back (they still hurt you) making running through a desert less of a hassle.
* Thorns are now destroyed after you touch them and receive damage.
* Band of Star Power now adds 20 mana to your maximum, and no longer adds mana regeneration.
* Lava Slimes no longer spawn lava when killed.

We understand how anxious everyone is to have the update, and we know its the longest you’ve had to wait for one. However we still have a bit more testing to do before 1.0.6 is ready for the world to delve into, but we are hoping to get it to you sometime sooner rather than later. (Source)

...Yikes. The game getting insanely hard worries me a little, but to be fair it is kind of a spam-potions cakewalk at the moment. Glad I'm in the mindset to make a new character though, seems like we'll all be learning the new pace of the gain soon.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Log4Girlz said:
So, if I dig around randomly, do I get as much ore as going into a pre-existing cavity? I know in minecraft natural caves are usually superior for finding ore. I'm at the stage of the game where I just constructed a grappling hook. Holycrap is the stone layer DEEP DOWN.

Not really... the only real advantage of finding a cavity is a chance to find pots and chests.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you want to find LOTS of ore, you need to go to where all the lava is in the Cavern layer (the layer above Hell). Ore deposits tend to be huge and plentiful there.

kazinova

Houston3000 said:
Step 1: Kill Eye of Cthulhu

Thanks for all of this help btw.

I have a grappling hook but haven't found a demonic shrine yet. I need to get a better pick axe I guess. Looks like I'm looking for demonite and a demonic shrine.

atre324

Thank god they got rid of lava slime drops, good thing I held off on re-baby proofing my underworld lol. I guess I'll take the time to farm up even more stone so I can replace all the dirt bridges with brick ones

Kalnos

Banned
On a seperate note, I wanted to just make an apology about my not being around for the ‘situation’ with pricing on Steam this weekend. I was at Connecticon from Friday to Sunday. As for the issue itself, we did not intend the sale price to be 75% off at any time, so when the situation was noticed, it was corrected. Hence why it so quickly changed to 50% and caused so many so much grief. We’ve received many angry emails for people blaming us personally, and calling us greedy, but that is simply not the case here.

That settles that.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Log4Girlz said:
Spawn rate is no different, but the fact that you can move so much faster (walking v digging) and have better visibility certainly helps you find ore faster imo. Same reason I thought ore was easier to find in Minecraft in caves.

charsace

Wessiej said:
Getting too addicted to this game. For the first time we made a shaft that goes 2500 feet deep, oh my, hell! Didn't found anything there though...
Where do you see the depth measurement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom