• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drek

Can the Eye of Cthulhu spawn underground? I've found a demon alter not too far below my main base and I was thinking about hollowing out the room around it to make an arena there for fighting it. If I wall this arena up with stone backwalls will he still appear? I'd like to make sure no other enemies can wanter in during the fight.

Also, if I make a closed off (with a door) backwalled room with a bed and set my spawn to it just off my arena will I be able to keep fighting Eye of Cthulhu directly after he kills me and I respawn, or will he disappear?

*edit* Also, how are you guys taking the zoomed way out big screen shots? I'd like to make some of those to show off my tunnels and also to give myself a better idea as to where things are located.

Derrick01

Banned
I was finally able to get into the dungeon after accidentally flooding some of it since they put it under an ocean on my world. That Muramasa sword is pretty awesome especially since I have a feral claw and the full shadow set, the thing looks like a blur when I'm swinging it.

Is there anything else of note from the dungeon? I picked up a lot of random magic items and minor equippable items but nothing else I'd deem necessary.

Derrick01 said:
I was finally able to get into the dungeon after accidentally flooding some of it since they put it under an ocean on my world. That Muramasa sword is pretty awesome especially since I have a feral claw and the full shadow set, the thing looks like a blur when I'm swinging it.

Is there anything else of note from the dungeon? I picked up a lot of random magic items and minor equippable items but nothing else I'd deem necessary.

Water Bolt, and Colbalt Shield. I find the shield to be highly worth it in the Underworld. Stupid bone serpents and knock back...ugh.

Derrick01

Banned
Warrior_Keoni said:
Water Bolt, and Colbalt Shield. I find the shield to be highly worth it in the Underworld. Stupid bone serpents and knock back...ugh.

Yeah I ended up with those 2 and some other minor stuff including the ball of hurt upgrade. I guess I'm almost ready to go to hell now.

Drek said:
Can the Eye of Cthulhu spawn underground? I've found a demon alter not too far below my main base and I was thinking about hollowing out the room around it to make an arena there for fighting it. If I wall this arena up with stone backwalls will he still appear? I'd like to make sure no other enemies can wanter in during the fight.
I don't think so but you can just make a bunch of Suspicious Looking Eyes at the Altar and then bring them above ground and summon him. He doesn't summon as soon as you create the eye just when you activate it.

Edit: Apparently you can fight him underground, could be interesting :p

Drek said:
*edit* Also, how are you guys taking the zoomed way out big screen shots? I'd like to make some of those to show off my tunnels and also to give myself a better idea as to where things are located.
Terrafirma

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Drek said:

Also, if I make a closed off (with a door) backwalled room with a bed and set my spawn to it just off my arena will I be able to keep fighting Eye of Cthulhu directly after he kills me and I respawn, or will he disappear?

Eye of Cthulu can be summoned/spawn underground. Me and my friends have fought him several times underground.

Retro

Houston3000 said:

With one minor addition; Terrafirma can show you your entire map.... your entire map. It can seriously sap away any sense of exploration, so if you have a 'Home world' you just want to build in, that's fine... but it ruins a new world, in my experience.

Drek

Retro said:
With one minor addition; Terrafirma can show you your entire map.... your entire map. It can seriously sap away any sense of exploration, so if you have a 'Home world' you just want to build in, that's fine... but it ruins a new world, in my experience.
So it shows the whole world lit up right from the get go? If just the surface was lit up I wouldn't be too perturbed with it, as I wouldn't pan far to the right or left sides. I just don't want to see what is in the darkness below me.

Retro said:
Agreed, it will show you where your jungle, desert, ocean, corruption, dungeon, all your floating islands, etc... so if you want to explore and find those yourself you may want to wait until you open your map with it.

Drek said:
So it shows the whole world lit up right from the get go? If just the surface was lit up I wouldn't be too perturbed with it, as I wouldn't pan far to the right or left sides. I just don't want to see what is in the darkness below me.
Pretty sure it just loads the map 100% zoomed out so you'll see everything unless you have very selective vision and can zoom into the center really really quick.

Retro

Drek said:

You can activate "Use Lighting" to darken everything out if you want. It won't do anything about seeing where your dungeon and jungle are, as well as floating islands... If you're okay kinda knowing where those are, go ahead.

For some people, the temptation might be too great to not poke around and see where all the chests and such are.

Drek

Retro said:
You can activate "Use Lighting" to darken everything out if you want. It won't do anything about seeing where your dungeon and jungle are, as well as floating islands... If you're okay kinda knowing where those are, go ahead.

For some people, the temptation might be too great to not poke around and see where all the chests and such are.
I see. Well I might use it later on then but I'll hold off for now. I chose a "large" world for my first play through (I know, probably bit off more than I can chew) so I'm likely going to have a very hard time finding everything as it is, but I want to at least give it a shot first.

I read somewhere that a pool of water will break your fall, anyone know how deep this needs to be? I'm thinking about building a 3 wide hellevator with wood planks on one side to climb back out, but being able to quickly drop to a pool within each subterranean biome seems like it'd be a big time saver in a "large" sized world.

Drek said:
I see. Well I might use it later on then but I'll hold off for now. I chose a "large" world for my first play through (I know, probably bit off more than I can chew) so I'm likely going to have a very hard time finding everything as it is, but I want to at least give it a shot first.

I read somewhere that a pool of water will break your fall, anyone know how deep this needs to be? I'm thinking about building a 3 wide hellevator with wood planks on one side to climb back out, but being able to quickly drop to a pool within each subterranean biome seems like it'd be a big time saver in a "large" sized world.
My first world was a Large world and I thought it was awesome... didn't find the Underground Jungle though ever. Now-a-days though they have the jungle, desert, and ocean biomes which are more important with special potion materials and such so it could be kind of hard to traverse all around without something like
rocket boots
or sky bridges and
Hermes Boots

You can use cobwebs as well if you don't want to bother with water, or save yourself at the last minute with a grapple or a well timed double jump using
]Cloud in a Bottle
(or find a
lucky horseshoe
)

Grinchy

Banned
Kalnos said:
That settles that.
Wow... I didn't really stay on top of the Terraria pricing story since I already owned it. I can't believe people were sending them angry E-mails.

They must have read something like, "u will only give 50% off instead of 75% off? your greidy and dumm."

Chocoboko

Does anyone know what happens if i pickup a chest back into my inventory if it is full of items. Do all of the items within the chest stay in the chest till I place it again, or are they destroyed?

Chocoboko said:
Does anyone know what happens if i pickup a chest back into my inventory if it is full of items. Do all of the items within the chest stay in the chest till I place it again, or are they destroyed?
You can't, you have to empty a chest before you can pick it up. The new patch (which should be out real soon) is adding a Loot All button which should make this alot easier than it is now.

Chocoboko

Houston3000 said:
You can't, you have to empty a chest before you can pick it up. The new patch (which should be out real soon) is adding a Loot All button which should make this alot easier than it is now.
Thanks! I have a lot of chests to rearrange but was scared to try and pick them up.

Log4Girlz

Are underground jungles and above ground jungles essentially the same type of areas, or do they have different kinds of loot and items spawning?

i'd like to chime in that i just bought the game and I am using macwrapper to play this on Mac OSX. So far, it runs very well and i have had no crashes yet. I do get the occasional slow down here and there, but overall, it runs great and I don't have to bootcamp!

Drek

WonkyPanda said:
i'd like to chime in that i just bought the game and I am using macwrapper to play this on Mac OSX. So far, it runs very well and i have had no crashes yet. I do get the occasional slow down here and there, but overall, it runs great and I don't have to bootcamp!
Have you tried multiplayer? I'm thinking about setting it up for my wife on her Mac so we can play together.

To that end, anyone have opinions on running the server from the same computer someone is playing on? I googled up some comments from people claiming it makes the game very laggy on that system. Is that a legit issue and if so what is the solution most hosts use?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Drek said:
Have you tried multiplayer? I'm thinking about setting it up for my wife on her Mac so we can play together.

To that end, anyone have opinions on running the server from the same computer someone is playing on? I googled up some comments from people claiming it makes the game very laggy on that system. Is that a legit issue and if so what is the solution most hosts use?

I run the server, play Terraria, and do pretty much everything else at the same time, no issues.

Drek

HaRyu said:
I run the server, play Terraria, and do pretty much everything else at the same time, no issues.
What do you have for a system?

I'm looking to do it on a cheapo laptop with an Athlon X2 2.1Ghz, 4 GB ram, and a ATi 3200 HD. It'll only run the server and my instance of Terraria, nothing else.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Drek said:
What do you have for a system?

I'm looking to do it on a cheapo laptop with an Athlon X2 2.1Ghz, 4 GB ram, and a ATi 3200 HD. It'll only run the server and my instance of Terraria, nothing else.

Built this thing a few months ago. Its not a high-end gaming computer, but its good enough, at least for me.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
4 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 460 SE​

Tried the game yesterday; played 3 hours but didn't do shit. Died quite a bit so don't have much money.

Am I just supposed to wander around the map and do stuff as I come to it? I picked a middle-sized map so I'm wondering how long it would take to traverse. And making houses with a bed every so often is not a bad idea is it?

Retro

Grimm Fandango said:
Tried the game yesterday; played 3 hours but didn't do shit. Died quite a bit so don't have much money.

Am I just supposed to wander around the map and do stuff as I come to it? I picked a middle-sized map so I'm wondering how long it would take to traverse. And making houses with a bed every so often is not a bad idea is it?

A small-size map is generally the best choice for a new player; the larger maps tend to have things spread out too much whereas with the smaller maps, it always seems like you're finding stuff.

The game is pretty open ended; in general what you'll want to do is dig around to find metals, so you can dig deeper to find better metals, so you can dig deeper and find gems and rare materials, so you can get your character strong enough to face bosses and even deeper depths. Along the way you'll find coins, treasure chests, accessories and a slew of enemy-dropped materials to craft things from.,

But that's about it. Dig, fight, smelt, build, dig, fight, smelt build, dig... it sounds boring, but once you figure out the general pace of things, it gets its claws into you pretty quickly.

As for multiple beds, it's up to you. You can only be saved to a single one at a time, so you could drop a bed in whatever area you're going to be most active and always log in there, instead of logging in at the surface and then working back down.

Most people tend to make a safehouse at the surface for storage, and various apartments for their NPCs (if I remember correctly, they won't move in past a certain depth, but I've never tried to get them to move in very deep).

Retro said:
A small-size map is generally the best choice for a new player; the larger maps tend to have things spread out too much whereas with the smaller maps, it always seems like you're finding stuff.

The game is pretty open ended; in general what you'll want to do is dig around to find metals, so you can dig deeper to find better metals, so you can dig deeper and find gems and rare materials, so you can get your character strong enough to face bosses and even deeper depths. Along the way you'll find coins, treasure chests, accessories and a slew of enemy-dropped materials to craft things from.,

But that's about it. Dig, fight, smelt, build, dig, fight, smelt build, dig... it sounds boring, but once you figure out the general pace of things, it gets its claws into you pretty quickly.

As for multiple beds, it's up to you. You can only be saved to a single one at a time, so you could drop a bed in whatever area you're going to be most active and always log in there, instead of logging in at the surface and then working back down.

Most people tend to make a safehouse at the surface for storage, and various apartments for their NPCs (if I remember correctly, they won't move in past a certain depth, but I've never tried to get them to move in very deep).

Okay thanks I'll start over on a small map.

Retro

Holy SHIT, the latest 1.6 update thread over at Terraria are getting borderline WoW-Forum quality, there are people bitching about how this patch will ruin everything and they want "The game they paid for, not the game the developers think they should play" and trying to find out how to hack steam so it doesn't auto-update... There's people bitching about lava slimes not dropping lava, people bitching about the game being influenced by PVP too much (really?), and my favorite; people hijacking a thread with a developer post in it to post links to their own suggestion threads.

So glad I have GAF... every time people bitch about "Gaf-Hivemind" or GAF being a shitty forum, I remember how much worse it could be... official forums are always worse.

People are fuckin' morons, I swear. I'm itching for this update so I can make a new world and a new character to get a feel for the new pace of things. I'll keep my Sanctuary World and my current character, but I want to go at it 'fresh' again.

Really, the biggest issue for me with this game is "What do I call my new character so I don't get them confused". I like having my GAF name the same as my character name... so far I've been leaning towards "Retro Jr" or just dressing one Retro up so I know which one is which.... that's probably the best.

If they add a Varia Suit though, I could go back to my long-standing tradition of playing girl characters in online games...

Grimm Fandango said:
Okay thanks I'll start over on a small map.

Yeah, I made a medium sized map to start too and spent a lot of time digging without finding much. Once I went to a small map, it was a huge difference in terms of just finding stuff. Small maps are still pretty damn big.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Retro said:
People are fuckin' morons, I swear. I'm itching for this update so I can make a new world and a new character to get a feel for the new pace of things. I'll keep my Sanctuary World and my current character, but I want to go at it 'fresh' again.

No kidding, but I guess dedicated fanbases tend to be afraid of change. I probably haven't spent as much time with the game as most of them, but I'm excited to see things changed up. New doesn't always mean better but it keeps the game fresh.

Anyways, I'm sitting here at work and I'm all thinking of is how bad I want to get back to this game. Think of all the digging I could be doing right now!

Retro

HenryHSH said:
Can anyone tell me what the purple-ish blocks are and how do I mine them?

That appears to be Demonite. Directly above you in that screen shot is a Shadow Orb, so you're close to corruption. So, yeah, pretty sure that's Demonite.

You'll need a Gold Pickaxe to mine it. Demonite is pretty useful though, so you'll definitely want to mark that area with torches to find it later. Smashing a Shadow Orb is something you'll want to do eventually too (But not yet, you'll want a bit more gold equipment before you tangle with that) and coming at them from beneath is easier than fighting your way down to them.

Snuggler said:
No kidding, but I guess dedicated fanbases tend to be afraid of change. I probably haven't spent as much time with the game as most of them, but I'm excited to see things changed up. New doesn't always mean better but it keeps the game fresh.

Anyways, I'm sitting here at work and I'm all thinking of is how bad I want to get back to this game. Think of all the digging I could be doing right now!

I think anyone who seriously plays it is looking forward to the changes, and people who aren't are just the usual obscenely loud minority hellbent on... whatever the hell somebody would do with a game like this that will never have anything new added to it. Like the crazy poopsockers demanding Vanilla servers in World of Warcraft because they're wearing rose-colored glasses to a time when the game was shiny and new... but busted as fuck.

As for being at work... holy shit, I dunno how you'd do it. I'd be chewing my pens and itching from Terraria withdraws, especially if I had just picked it up. I still play it a shitload and I've reached a point where there is literally nothing left for me to find (I've checked the wiki, I've got at least 1 of everything).

Been a blast helping all the new players though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Holy SHIT, the latest 1.6 update thread over at Terraria are getting borderline WoW-Forum quality, there are people bitching about how this patch will ruin everything and they want "The game they paid for, not the game the developers think they should play" and trying to find out how to hack steam so it doesn't auto-update... There's people bitching about lava slimes not dropping lava, people bitching about the game being influenced by PVP too much (really?), and my favorite; people hijacking a thread with a developer post in it to post links to their own suggestion threads.

So glad I have GAF... every time people bitch about "Gaf-Hivemind" or GAF being a shitty forum, I remember how much worse it could be... official forums are always worse.

LOL. Its not like they can protest w/ their wallets. The game is a one-time charge, there's no subscription fee. Not like they can say "we're not gonna give you our money anymore". :p

BTW, whoever was playing AJB on the server, you were asking if you can pick up glowsticks after you throw them. You can (both the regular ones and the sticky ones), but you need to wait for them to stop glowing.

HenryHSH

Retro said:
That appears to be Demonite. Directly above you in that screen shot is a Shadow Orb, so you're close to corruption. So, yeah, pretty sure that's Demonite.

You'll need a Gold Pickaxe to mine it. Demonite is pretty useful though, so you'll definitely want to mark that area with torches to find it later. Smashing a Shadow Orb is something you'll want to do eventually too (But not yet, you'll want a bit more gold equipment before you tangle with that) and coming at them from beneath is easier than fighting your way down to them.

Yep thanks, I looked up demonite and it glowed in the dark like the screenshot in the wiki. As for Shadow Orb, I don't see it in my screenshot above me...?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
HenryHSH said:
Yep thanks, I looked up demonite and it glowed in the dark like the screenshot in the wiki. As for Shadow Orb, I don't see it in my screenshot above me...?

I think he was mistaken... I see a jellyfish above you, not a Shadow Orb.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've been mining for about 8 hours straight, not found anything interesting, not sure I get this game tbh, I feel like everybody is in on a secret which I don't understand :-(, stuff like this just ends up pissing me off tbh becuase it shows me how thick I am at these types of games, back to shooters and car games I think :-(

God I need a drink.

HenryHSH

lowrider007 said:
I've been mining for about 8 hours straight, not found anything interesting, not sure I get this game tbh, I feel like everybody is in on a secret which I don't understand :-(, stuff like this just ends up pissing me off becuase it shows me how thick I am at these types of games, back to shooters and car games I think :-(

God I need a drink.

I think your problem is that you've been mining for 8 hours. Do something else. :p

Damn, this game is addictive. And I haven't really done anything yet :p

Need to find me more iron, so I can get that Iron Hammer and remove stupid dirt walls (got the wooden hammer now, it is slow as hell to use that thing), replace them with wood and stone and get some people in.

Or I could just built on the surface, but I have a whole layout in mind already...

Retro

mug

HenryHSH said:
It's actually a jellyfish - the orbs glow like that and are usually fairly deep in the corruption.

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
Impossible to resist that at 2,49$ !!
Do you still play? I don't know how the multi work. Is it servers like Minecraft or we connect with some friends on a list?
Yeah, $2.50 is an amazing price. I feel no regret for paying $10.

I wish I knew more about multi, but I haven't even looked into it to be honest. I just didn't feel like it, and I had read that it wasn't the most intuitive thing. But I think it's gotten better with updates and I've still just been ignoring it. It'll be like Minecraft, where I ignore multi for so long until one day I can't play anything but.

HenryHSH

mug said:
It's actually a jellyfish - the orbs glow like that and are usually fairly deep in the corruption.

Yep, I already killed it. :D

I am stupid though. There was a chest under water, and I got distracted trying to manage a full inventory and drowned.

Drazgul

Gah, is there still no way to quickly move items (like shift+click) from inventory to chests and back? I last played at 1.0.1 and one would think such a rudimentary feature would've been implemented by now. I hate having to drag everything by hand.

elwes

HaRyu said:
Built this thing a few months ago. Its not a high-end gaming computer, but its good enough, at least for me.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
4 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 460 SE​

That's weird...I tried to run a server last night with a very similar build (more RAM) and the game was laggy as hell for me. It was fine for my friend. Everything was rubberbanding and any action I performed was delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom