• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
elwes said:
That's weird...I tried to run a server last night with a very similar build (more RAM) and the game was laggy as hell for me. It was fine for my friend. Everything was rubberbanding and any action I performed was delayed.

I can watch youtube videos and download at the same time the server is running, not causing any real lag, as far as I'm aware. I haven't tried to play any other games on it at the same time (except maybe for the Civ World facebook game).

Task manager says TerrariaServer using 676,120k of memory. I also have the main Terraria program running, and its using 288,400k of memory.

ScRYeD

Drazgul said:
Gah, is there still no way to quickly move items (like shift+click) from inventory to chests and back? I last played at 1.0.1 and one would think such a rudimentary feature would've been implemented by now. I hate having to drag everything by hand.

1.0.6 update will have those feature+more.

Retro

charsace said:
I have a whole bunch of cobwebs, but no bones. Need to get that necro armor.

Bones are gonna come from Dungeon skeletons, and no where else. You'll need to kill Skeletron to get down there.

Drazgul said:
Gah, is there still no way to quickly move items (like shift+click) from inventory to chests and back? I last played at 1.0.1 and one would think such a rudimentary feature would've been implemented by now. I hate having to drag everything by hand.

As Scryed mentioned, inventory management is getting a nice overhaul in the next patch. From the comments posted today, it sounds like they launched Terraria early because there was a huge demand for it thanks to all the videos posted about it. To hear the devs describe it, we've basically been playing the Beta version of the game and 1.6 will sort of be the 'launch' version. All of the little quality-of-life things are going to be brought up to snuff (for example, remembering the last few MP servers you connected to).

Stitch

Gold Member
Retro said:
From the comments posted today, it sounds like they launched Terraria early because there was a huge demand for it thanks to all the videos posted about it.
Yes, this and also because some asshole leaked the alpha.

Grinchy

Banned
ScRYeD said:
1.0.6 update will have those feature+more.
Finally!

That's one annoyance I've always had with the game too: inventory management. Also, now that I play at 1200p, everything is really tiny and it's hard to make out what the items are sometimes in my inventory. I hope we can tweak things like this one day.

mug

elwes said:
That's weird...I tried to run a server last night with a very similar build (more RAM) and the game was laggy as hell for me. It was fine for my friend. Everything was rubberbanding and any action I performed was delayed.
Are you running the terrariaserver exe then joining or are you hosting a game after starting up the app?

I bought this yesterday on the Steam sale just because if I waited if would be more. Looking forward to playing it, I'll try it later if I still have working hands from my Super stardust session

HenryHSH

Gah! I had Iron chestplate and helmet, then I got enough silver to make a silver chestplate and helmet and now I have enough to make a gold chestplate. I guess I'll put the gold one in a chest until I have a complete gold tier.

MNC

After all the hype I actually have yet to actually get fond of this game. So far I harvested alot of bricks and stuff but it all felt pretty lackluster. I dunno, I'll play more of this tomorrow, see if I can get a hit.

Drazgul

Retro said:
As Scryed mentioned, inventory management is getting a nice overhaul in the next patch. From the comments posted today, it sounds like they launched Terraria early because there was a huge demand for it thanks to all the videos posted about it. To hear the devs describe it, we've basically been playing the Beta version of the game and 1.6 will sort of be the 'launch' version. All of the little quality-of-life things are going to be brought up to snuff (for example, remembering the last few MP servers you connected to).

Yeah reckon I'll just wait until 1.0.6 hits before starting to play again, then. Hopefully it'll add some additional end-game goals as well - I'm generally speaking not a completionist so getting the lower-tier armor sets / weapons for example doesn't really interest me since I'm rocking full Molten gear already.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ok I'm persevering, adding rooms to my crappy house now, getting a few people in, one of the things that I'm finding hard to grasp is the inventory system & crafting etc, it's a little complicated, I really hope the new patch fixes that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Grinchy said:
That's one annoyance I've always had with the game too: inventory management. Also, now that I play at 1200p, everything is really tiny and it's hard to make out what the items are sometimes in my inventory. I hope we can tweak things like this one day.

I wish there was a way to either destroy items or check a box that keeps them from being added to my inventory. There have been too many times that I dumped a ton of unnecessary items only to accidentally move close to them, causing them to be added back into my inventory.

Grinchy

Banned
It's not much to look at yet, but I've started working on my sky tower. It's nice and phallic so far, just like a man's tower should be. I just need to work on its looks as I go on. The specific shape of it is too generic, so I plan to change that by messing with the borders of the sections. And of course I'll make the head top of it look more complex. That is where the bedroom will be.

ZwNnj.png

Derrick01

Banned
Dwayne said:
There's no such thing as a town portal in this game right?

You mean something to take you back to town right? There's a Magic Mirror which does that for I think 20 mana. If you ask Retro he might even have some extra ones to give away on the Gaf server.

It really is a huge help. Completely changes the way you play.

Sophia

Snuggler said:
I wish there was a way to either destroy items or check a box that keeps them from being added to my inventory. There have been too many times that I dumped a ton of unnecessary items only to accidentally move close to them, causing them to be added back into my inventory.

One of those (a way to destroy items) is coming next patch.

HenryHSH said:
My guide just died, I thought he was immortal? :O

Nope, all the NPCs can die. As long as there's a home, they'll come back.

Relax.MX

Very good game! so far the best buy of the sales

But I can not find any NPC (the guide does not want to stick to the house)...im 10 hr XD

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Relax.MX said:
Very good game! so far the best buy of the sales

But I can not find any NPC (the guide does not want to stick to the house)...im 10 hr XD

If its been 10 hrs, and he's not staying in the house, its possible the house isn't NPC compliant.

Drazgul

NPC's need a light source, table & chair plus a door in order to move into a room. Also make sure you make a proper back-wall instead of dirt or air. The other NPC's will come once their respective requirements are met and there are free rooms available.

Mdeezy

HaRyu said:
If its been 10 hrs, and he's not staying in the house, its possible the house isn't NPC compliant.
My NPC is doing his own thing lol. At first hes was underground in a little cavern I built and when I reloaded my game he was in the top floor of my house walking back and forth. He hasnt left that spot yet though so guess hes happy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Gez said:
Forgive my ignorance but when is 1.0.6 coming out? I can't see this info on the Official forums and the SPUF.

Days, weeks?

There's no hard date yet, but usually when they start trickling information, it'll usually be soon.

Relax.MX said:
Any suggestions?

PD: Some spanish-speaker who wants some multiplayer?

Take a pic of your home and post it here on the forums, we can usually tell w/ a glance. Its a Steam game, so hit F12 to snap the screenshot.

Drazgul said:
NPC's need a light source, table & chair plus a door in order to move into a room. Also make sure you make a proper back-wall instead of dirt or air. The other NPC's will come once their respective requirements are met and there are free rooms available.
Also:

-The room needs to be a minimum of 4x5 or so
-The door to the room can't be shared with another NPCs room
-There can't be more than 3 or 4 blocks worth of platform in place of wall bricks
-Make sure the room is completely covered with background walls

Some of those rules may be a tiny bit bendable (I don't think you technically need a door if you have a platform opening and you can have some holes in your walls if the room is big enough) but follow all those steps at first just to be safe.

saunderez

Houston3000 said:
This isn't true. I tend to make a long row of rooms separated by doors and the NPCs will move into those rooms if they're furnished correctly. Just remember to leave enough space between the doors and the table/chair/bed. The head of the bed can be up against a wall but anything else needs clearance.

Conceptor

Is it possible to place a spawn point underground in your tunnels? We were about 2.5-2.9km down and kept dying and getting back was a little annoying. We followed the wiki but weren't able to get a spawn point set up :(

Relax.MX

How I can break it?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/relaxmx/screenshot/560913328456746930?tab=public

I feel like I'm going very slow, do I need to play multiplayer to get more items?

Houston3000 said:
Also:

-The room needs to be a minimum of 4x5 or so
-There can't be more than 3 or 4 blocks worth of platform in place of wall bricks
-Make sure the room is completely covered with background walls

Some of those rules may be a tiny bit bendable (I don't think you technically need a door if you have a platform opening and you can have some holes in your walls if the room is big enough) but follow all those steps at first just to be safe.

Retro

Dwayne said:
There's no such thing as a town portal in this game right?

As others have mentioned, there's a Magic Mirror. I've been trying to hand them out on the GAF server but my chest is running low. I'll farm some up and get on the GAF server tonight (assuming the storms in the area don't knock Comcast out... again). Think you'll be on around midnight EST?

Relax.MX said:
How I can break it?

I feel like I'm going very slow, do I need to play multiplayer to get more items?

Golden Pickaxe or Higher. Looks like you're using Iron.

And no, there's nothing available exclusively in one mode or the other as of yet (that may change, but right now it's identical).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Conceptor said:
Is it possible to place a spawn point underground in your tunnels? We were about 2.5-2.9km down and kept dying and getting back was a little annoying. We followed the wiki but weren't able to get a spawn point set up :(

Yes, you have to make a room and place a bed in it. You can set spawn points at the bed.
What I usually do is make a room where I can place a bed, and I also put one chest there.

The reason for the chest: What if you need to get back to the surface ASAP?

Simple: Break the bed w/ a hammer. But before you use your mirror (or killport yourself), put the bed in the chest, that way if you go by there again, you can place the bed and set your spawn point.

Dwayne

Retro said:
As others have mentioned, there's a Magic Mirror. I've been trying to hand them out on the GAF server but my chest is running low. I'll farm some up and get on the GAF server tonight (assuming the storms in the area don't knock Comcast out... again). Think you'll be on around midnight EST?

Unlikely! I've found saving and exiting seems to have the same effect.

elwes

mug said:
Are you running the terrariaserver exe then joining or are you hosting a game after starting up the app?

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Am I supposed to start the game first, choose to host, then start up the server?

Derrick01

Banned
Is there any other easy way to get obsidian other than this generator exploit? It looked a little tough to make for someone who has a hard time building fancy things like me :lol

Drazgul

Derrick01 said:
Is there any other easy way to get obsidian other than this generator exploit? It looked a little tough to make for someone who has a hard time building fancy things like me :lol

Not sure what you mean by the generator, but I just dug down from the edge of the map (this was a few versions back, but then at least the water was infinite there, it didn't drain at all) all the way to the underworld/hell/whatever, and flooded part of it. More obsidian than I'll ever need. :p

saunderez

Conceptor said:
Yep. Same conditions as building a spawn point on the surface. Right click on the bed once you've set up the room.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Derrick01 said:

Other than manually bringing a bucket of water that you can splash onto water, not really.

Retro

Dwayne said:
Unlikely! I've found saving and exiting seems to have the same effect.

That works too, but the devs recently asked people if removing that 'feature' would be a game breaker, which tells me they're considering removing it.

Anyways, if anyone wants a Magic Mirror (and 20 mana to use it) or a horseshoe, I have some left and am logging on... NOW.

Derrick01 said:

1. Find a big damn body of water.
2. Dig a big hole under body of water.
3. Dig down to big damn body of lava.
4. Connect big damn body of water to big damn body of lava
5. Profit.

Derrick01

Banned
Drazgul said:
Not sure what you mean by the generator, but I just dug down from the edge of the map (this was a few versions back, but then at least the water was infinite there, it didn't drain at all) all the way to the underworld/hell/whatever, and flooded part of it. More obsidian than I'll ever need. :p

The video on this page is the generator I was talking about

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Obsidian

It'd probably be easier for me to do it your way though. I'm not good at building stuff yet.

I think I'm finally starting to get it. Also, Zombies are really annoying.

Apart from what my screenshot should tell you, I got the anvil, and a chest now. Any ideas how to improve my mongrel's house? Underground or up?

And how do I know if I have mana or not? I found the fancy mirror that sends you back home.

Drazgul

Sgt.Pepper said:
And how do I know if I have mana or not? I found the fancy mirror that sends you back home.

You'd have blue mana stars on the upper-right of the screen, pretty much like those life hearts. In order to get mana you need to find fallen stars in the night (they despawn in the morning) and combine them into mana stars.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
I think I'm finally starting to get it. Also, Zombies are really annoying.

Apart from what my screenshot should tell you, I got the anvil, and a chest now. Any ideas how to improve my mongrel's house? Underground or up?

You have no mana right now. You'd see stars on the right side of the screen.

See any falling stars? Pick those up, but dont use them. Collect ten, then bring up your crafting menu (you dont need a bench). You should be able to create a Mana Crystal. Use those to raise your MP.

As for improving the house, its entirely up to you how to improve it (matter of choice, really), but if you want to prevent zombies from opening the doors during a blood moon, lower the ground level at the doors. If there's a height of 2 blocks from the ground, the zombies won't be able to open the door. This also applies to the goblins during a goblin invasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom