• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryHSH

The Gaf server is looking pretty good. I'm actually very surprised how well the game runs in multiplayer and how its completely lag free. I'm not sure if I should credit the netcode or HaRyu's computer.

I followed the advice I was given on houses and got one built with the guide moving into my foyer type room. :lol

Not sure how the hell slimes are leaking into my cavern below my house though, unless they can just randomly spawn in there?

Sarcasm

What cost is the GAF server. Cause I am currently hosting a server on a server box on west coast. Server box has 60mb down and 12 up.

Retro

Ah, too bad the server went down, we had lots of people there at the end. Was actually really fucking awesome to start a new character and experience the joy of just digging for *anything* useful again. Probably won't keep that character (he looked cool at first but I realized too late he looks a tad.... emo), especially with 1.0.6 HOPEFULLY right around the corner (I am thinking this weekend maybe, but I say that every weekend).

Was a blast as always, love this game.

corrosivefrost said:
I followed the advice I was given on houses and got one built with the guide moving into my foyer type room. :lol

Not sure how the hell slimes are leaking into my cavern below my house though, unless they can just randomly spawn in there?

Slimes spawn underground naturally, nothing you can do about that.

HenryHSH

Sarcasm said:
What cost is the GAF server. Cause I am currently hosting a server on a server box on west coast. Server box has 60mb down and 12 up.

I think GAF server runs on a home PC, or maybe a home server since it shuts down every night.

Retro

HenryHSH said:
I think GAF server runs on a home PC, or maybe a home server since it shuts down every night.

Retro Harlan runs it off what I believe to be his home PC, free of charge. It shuts down when the PC goes to sleep, approx. 2 hours after he heads for bed (usually around midnight).

I'm stuck in the daily grind right now. Trying to get good gear and heart shards.

I've gone down a few layers. Past normal dirt, to the point of where the music changes and Skeletons and Undead Miners start spawning. The bats are annoying... like in any other game. I have 20 mana (1 star) but have nothing to use it with. I've found 3 Enchanted Boomerangs... great weapon... but come on now, I need something else.

Used a map viewer to see what all my world was looking like. Dungeon was in BFing nowhere, which is good, since I'm still very new to this.. Don't want to go hunting for bosses right now or anything. The Corrupt is just East of me, so I can't venture far that way, out west is mainly deserts (and sand pretty much ruining any caves there) and a giant ocean, and the only way down is by brute forcing most of my way through 30 block layers with bombs and pick axing... I can't wait until I get better stuff.

So far, I've got the Boomerang as my main, an Iron Helmet, Copper for the rest of my character. I've got two regen health rings (awesome), hermes boots, anglet (or w/e for running faster). I crafted a hookshot, which makes exploring soo much easier now. I don't have to carry a crap ton of wood to make platforms for everything, and if I fall in dark water, I'm no longer boned. Everything else I have is probably the norm for someone as far as I am. Glow sticks, glowing mushrooms, blocks.. etc etc.

Spent 20 hours on this thing since I got it Saturday night.... It's killing me. Any advice?

Teknoman

I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. Every time I left click to place the workbench, even when in hotbar, my character just tosses the bench, and then I end up picking it back up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Teknoman said:
I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. Every time I left click to place the workbench, even when in hotbar, my character just tosses the bench, and then I end up picking it back up.

have you hit esc and closed the crafting screen?

duckroll

This is not a good game at all. I would not recommend it to anyone. It destroys lives, and all interest in other forms of entertainment. Awful. :(

elfinke

Teknoman said:

Snuggler has it - close your inventory and place the item you want to use (the bench) in one of your hot key spots first. Then just select it and use it as though it were a sword or health item.

I spent the first 15 minutes of my game time randomly throwing around dirt and wood before I figured what the hell was going on!

DJ_Lae

I still throw stuff accidentally from time to time.

My cousin and I were playing the other night and both of us kept tossing stuff at one another. I kept finding weird things in my inventory before I realized that he'd thrown them and I had automatically picked it up.

Instro

So I've put a few hours into the game in single player, I'm really digging it. I'll have to jump on the gaf server in the coming days.

HenryHSH

Teknoman said:
Ohhhh. Guess I really was doing it wrong.

Now to figure out how to place a door...

Doors are 3 blocks high and require blocks above and below them.

edit: typos...

edit2: Just got a bunny hood! :eek:

duckroll

Instro said:
So I've put a few hours into the game in single player, I'm really digging it. I'll have to jump on the gaf server in the coming days.

If you know a few friends who are playing the game or who just bought it, I would actually recommend playing multiplayer on a brand new world in a private capacity. It's much more fun. The GAF server is pretty established, and it's great to visit it for ideas (or supplies), or just to say hello. But it's not really a world I would want to play it, especially not as a noob.

Instro

duckroll said:
If you know a few friends who are playing the game or who just bought it, I would actually recommend playing multiplayer on a brand new world in a private capacity. It's much more fun. The GAF server is pretty established, and it's great to visit it for ideas (or supplies), or just to say hello. But it's not really a world I would want to play it, especially not as a noob.
Hm yeah I was kind of thinking that might be the case. From the limited multi I've played, I'd probably rather do any serious exploring/building on a fresh world.

Started playing this yesterday, but wasn't too interested at first.

Then I asked my brother if he wanted to play multiplayer with me. Completely changed opinion after a little while of playing. I started to really get into it and now I'm having fun collecting just random things and digging. It seems like it wouldn't be fun, but I can't stop. I'll just be digging randomly, and then I'll see something glowing off in the distance and set off to go get it, or see a small cave or pool of water. I haven't even really built anything yet, just dug and crafted new tools and weapons and such.

I keep collecting plants and seeds. Do I need those for anything?

PigSpeakers said:
Started playing this yesterday, but wasn't too interested at first.

Then I asked my brother if he wanted to play multiplayer with me. Completely changed opinion after a little while of playing. I started to really get into it and now I'm having fun collecting just random things and digging. It seems like it wouldn't be fun, but I can't stop. I'll just be digging randomly, and then I'll see something glowing off in the distance and set off to go get it, or see a small cave or pool of water. I haven't even really built anything yet, just dug and crafted new tools and weapons and such.

You want to start building a houses. One for you, and for others as well. Don't put a table AND chair in your house, otherwise the guide will move in... and it's hard to get him out into his own place. After you build a house for the guide, build an extra one. Once you hit 50 silver, a merchant comes into town. You can buy and sell there. Find a crystal heart? A nurse moves in. So on and so forth... Also, zombies will knock on your doors but they can't break in unless it's a "Bloodmoon." It'll announce it in the bottom corner if a bloodmoon has risen at night, and everything (including rabbits) start attacking you.

Teknoman

Didnt someone say they might restart the GAF server after awhile, or am I thinking of something else?

Also is it best to just play the game in the lowest or highest resolution possible. I can see advantages to both so far, but not sure if a close up view is worth going low res in the long run.

jbMKOi.jpeg

This game is going to sap alot of my time *_*

I am still farming skeletons for a damned hook haha...I am having no luck at all with this. On the plus side I have found a few hearts while messing around looking for skeletons.

Log4Girlz

Snkfanatic said:
I am still farming skeletons for a damned hook haha...I am having no luck at all with this. On the plus side I have found a few hearts while messing around looking for skeletons.

I got my first hook quick. I have like 3 extras now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Becquerel said:
So, I found an Angel Statue. Apparently, it does nothing. But it's not Goggles, which actually do something. My world is falling apart. :(

Keep those Angel Statues. Even though they don't do anything now, they might do something in a later patch.

You could always give it away. People actually want Angel Statues (because its one of rare items to find). The other coveted (but useless) item is the glorious Whoopee Cushion. At least the Whoopee Cushion does SOMETHING (farting noises!).

Majukun said:
there are some stones that i can't destroy...what material is that and how can i destroy it?

You'll need a Nightmare Pickaxe or higher to destroy whatever it is you're trying to destroy, probably. If you don't have one, you can try throwing some dynamite at it, but that only works on certain stones.

Whats the stones look like (pic would help)?

ScRYeD

Snkfanatic said:

Piranha also drop hooks, so kill them when you see them as well. For me they have a better droprate than skeletons.

Majukun said:
there are some stones that i can't destroy...what material is that and how can i destroy it?

Not sure, but if you have a low quality pickaxe (copper or something) that is probably your problem. Gather enough gold and make yourself a gold pickaxe, that should help.

ScRYeD said:
Piranha also drop hooks, so kill them when you see them as well. For me they have a better droprate than skeletons.

Damn, I keep forgetting they drop them. Thanks

Majukun

HaRyu said:
You'll need a Nightmare Pickaxe or higher to destroy whatever it is you're trying to destroy, probably. If you don't have one, you can try throwing some dynamite at it, but that only works on certain stones.

Whats the stones look like (pic would help)?

the color is dark grey and dust comes from it when i try to destroy it,apart from that,it looks like any other stone/metal

oh and it's very rare and when i found it it was only one "rock"

from what materials i can forge a nightmare pickaxe?

I got mine from a piranha too iirc, but really early. I got it like a few minutes after encountering the first skeletons/piranhas.

Also, I fucking HATE those slimes and bats. I've reached my first lava and these bastards constantly knocked me into it. I died like 4 times of getting knocked into lava. >:[

@Majukun:
Is it a purple-ish shade of blue? Cause that's most likely demonite which you can mine with a gold pickaxe, too.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Majukun said:
the color is dark grey and dust comes from it when i try to destroy it,apart from that,it looks like any other stone/metal

Nightmare Pickaxe is made from demonite and shadowscale, which you probably will have to get from bosses.

Becquerel said:
Also, I fucking HATE those slimes and bats. I've reached my first lava and these bastards constantly knocked me into it. I died like 4 times of getting knocked into lava. >:[

If you're having trouble w/ that, then you should try and find a Cobalt Shield (found in dungeons). Cobalt Shields cancel the knockback effect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
confuziz said:
What do I do against those...well funny looking snakes in the underground?
Each section of their body has a different life bar, so you have to keep hitting them until you kill one section.

I suggest a flail if you have one.

Retro

phosphor112 said:
I'm stuck in the daily grind right now. Trying to get good gear and heart shards.

Spent 20 hours on this thing since I got it Saturday night.... It's killing me. Any advice?

You're pretty much playing it as intended. Keep digging for metal to improve your armor up to Iron and then to Gold. More Life Crystals is a good thing too. Boomerangs are pretty decent weapons actually, as it saves the trouble of lugging around arrows or bullets. The hookshot makes getting around a lot easier so you've got that at least.

If you're looking for a new weapon, try crafting a Broadsword (shortswords are the little stabby ones and kinda suck) from whatever material you can. Don't worry about corruption until you're rocking gold armor at least. Maybe try building a bit to get some NPCs to move in, as you'll blast through things (literally) with a few trips to the demolitionist.

Oh, and fun fact; an Aglet (10% run speed increase) is actually the name for the little plastic thingy on the end of shoelaces. Yay.

Teknoman said:
Ohhhh. Guess I really was doing it wrong.

Now to figure out how to place a door...

Doors are tricky at first. 3-tiles high (a good rule of thumb is "just above your head") and to place them, kind of click above where the knob would be, about face-level. If you click too low they don't really place. It's slightly wonky, but you get the hang of it quickly.

duckroll said:

Harlan, Hydeout and I have been tossing ideas around for when 1.6 hits and we will definitely be making it more friendly to starting players. We're going to set the main town away from the spawn point a bit so people don't spawn into an overwhelming mega-city filled with Hydeout's pixel art that can kill them, Hydeout's lava pits that can kill them and Hydeout's penchant for randomly tossing grenades that can kill them (and himself, which is amusing at least). We're going to build a little tutorial structure around the spawn and give people some good advice and rewards for getting out of it (and a fast escape for veteran players who don't need it).

Log4Girlz said:
So, noob question...what's the next step after Light's Bane? The sword is already hitting kinda weak :(

Actually, Light's Bane is kinda quick for a broadsword, and the damage is respectable for that tier. If you're ready to move on, we're talking Phaseblades (meteorite), Blade of Grass (Jungle) or Muramasa (dungeon, and probably the hardest to get of these). Alternatively, you can try out non swords like Maces (Ball-o-hurt from shadow orbs, though to me it's a slight downgrade).

If you're comfortable smashing shadow orbs, there's a 50% chance after each that a meteorite will land at midnight that night, but 100% chance after 2 or 3 orbs that you'll piss the Eater of Worlds off... and if you've never dealt with him, he can be a handful.

PigSpeakers said:

Plants are invaluable to making the new alchemical potions introduced in the last patch. Take a plant to the Guide and he can tell you what you'll need to make each potion type. Some of them can be really really valuable early in the game (Spelunker Potion, though the gold ore needed is a bit of a rarity early).

You can craft Clay Pots out of clay, which you can then plant seeds in (some decorative flowers grow by default, use your pickaxe to clear them). This will allow you to set up your own plant farm for mass-production. GAF server has a really awesome one set up if you want to see how those work (two of the plants need special treatment to reach full maturity).

Teknoman said:
Didnt someone say they might restart the GAF server after awhile, or am I thinking of something else?

See Above. We'll be rebooting the GAF world when 1.0.6 hits.

Becquerel said:
So, I found an Angel Statue. Apparently, it does nothing. But it's not Goggles, which actually do something. My world is falling apart. :(

Pretty much every Terraria player has a chest somewhere where they're keeping every Angel Statue they find in the hopes that one day, they actually will do something, and something amazing, and they'll have a shitload of them instead of everyone who threw theirs away. Little do they know that the devs are trolling them at a massive scale.

... I have two chests full.

Majukun said:

Sounds like Ebonstone, in which case you don't really need to mine it at all yet. A Nightmare Pickaxe requires Demonite (it's a sort of greyish-purple stone found near corruption and dropped by bosses) and Shadow Scales (which are only dropped by bosses).

HaRyu said:
If you're having trouble w/ that, then you should try and find a Cobalt Shield (found in dungeons). Cobalt Shields cancel the knockback effect.

I don't feel confident enough to beat Skeletron yet. As soon as I get a full set of golden armor, I'll try to go into the Corruption, find a Shadow Orb, and kill the Eye, tho. Could do the summon too, I have a demon altar very close to my spawn.

Edit:
Also, my first blood moon is going to rise at the end of this day (which I will continue after work, where I am right now lulz). I'm not sure if I should bother killing the enemies outside of special ones (i.e. Groom), currently the monsters are mostly just a bother to me.

Also, speaking of the Eye of Cthulu, would you suggest I go smash Shadow Orbs or craft the summon item at the altar like right after blood moon? I'm currently rocking a gold broadsword, and mostly silver armor (only golden pants), also have a ton of throwing knives, shuriken, jester arrows and an enchanted boomerang. Your input?

r.gun

Neo Member
Didn't expect to like this game as much as I do! Bought it during the Steam sale and it is really a ton of fun. Playing co-op with my bro-in-law adds even more to it as we explore the caves together!

Actually, MP makes the game's progress a lot easier, or rather, less time-consuming. One person mines while the other holds torches and defends the miner from monsters, instead of constantly having to defend yourself, lul.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that's the demonite they added to the world.

You normally get it from bosses, but I think it requires a gold (?) pickaxe to mine.

Majukun said:
here is a image of the rock i can't destroy (i have a silver pickaxe)

2i894wi.jpg

Yes, that is indeed demonite. You need a gold pickaxe or better to mine that. You'll need to get I think 12 gold bars to get a gold pickaxe, but it's resources well-spent cause it's the best tier you can get without needing to grab more rare minerals (demonite, hellstone, meteorite), so try to get it ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom