• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started an MP world last night with my cousin and we got a huge cave opening with a bunch of chests right next to the spawn. It kind of felt like cheating. We played it for about 3 hours and were still exploring how deep it went. Started finding bats and dead miners and stuff. Almost fealt like I should have explored a little and built up before going deep in the cave.

It's crazy how fun and addicting this game is. It was enough in single player but MP added even more fun to it.

somato

duckroll said:
This is not a good game at all. I would not recommend it to anyone. It destroys lives, and all interest in other forms of entertainment. Awful. :(

I'm so tired. :( This is all your fault. I want that Starfury back.

MNC

mclaren777 said:
I missed the $5 sale. :(
There's quite some people selling 4 pack copies for 2,50, 3,75 and 5. search around and ask. I think Petrie was one of the people that had it.

Snkfanatic said:
I am still farming skeletons for a damned hook haha...I am having no luck at all with this. On the plus side I have found a few hearts while messing around looking for skeletons.

Dig deeper. Dig to a point where the music changes.... then Dig more. You'll find them (and bats) like nobodies business. By the way, just an FYI, Skeletons jump around like a bunch of lunatics... it's annoying.

Twinduct

Got burned out on this game after putting in around 50 hours. Been skipping the last two updates, waiting for 1.06 to come in. Hopefully with the wealth of new content (balanced content) I can get back to loving the game (not that I hate the game, bought the 4 pack the day it came out)

Cause my questions seem to have been overlooked (maybe due to my editing them in):

Becquerel said:
Edit:
Also, my first blood moon is going to rise at the end of this day (which I will continue after work, where I am right now lulz). I'm not sure if I should bother killing the enemies outside of special ones (i.e. Groom), currently the monsters are mostly just a bother to me.

Also, speaking of the Eye of Cthulu, would you suggest I go smash Shadow Orbs or craft the summon item at the altar like right after blood moon? I'm currently rocking a gold broadsword, and mostly silver armor (only golden pants), also have a ton of throwing knives, shuriken, jester arrows and an enchanted boomerang. Your input?

Retro

Some Updates from the Developers:

We have balanced enemies and bosses to suit the new changes in potion mechanics. You won't just be thrown in having to face enemies at their current 1.0.5 strength. That is the reason this patch is taking longer to come out, we are taking time to run each area with different sets of gear to make sure they arent too difficult, but provide the right amount of challenge to a player.

We've also changed how certain enemies move, to make dodging them not such a hassle. For example, the Eye of Cthulu.

(In response to a whiny post about there being too much focus onfighting in the next patch... apparently 1.0.5 didn't deliver enough flowers to pick for the goddamn hippies.)

We of course are always looking to improve the game without hampering too much the enjoyability people have of a certain aspect of it.

Patches up to this point have been to get the game on more solid ground (Bug fixes, see 1.0.1 to 1.0.3). 1.0.4 was to add the social slots for player appearance differences, 1.0.5 was to finish up a few empty Biomes and make sure the world didn't seem empty. 1.0.6 is to remove the large 'jump gaps' in difficulty for the RPG players and also fix the GUI to make it more user friendly. And once 1.0.6 is out, we will be working on the End Game Content to expand it a bit more. Basically, what I'm saying is that each patch focuses on certain aspect of the game. The builders will get their patch, it just hasn't come around yet, I'll push for it to be after the end game content patch, or to perhaps at least include a few builder things in the 'End Game' patch itself.

mclaren777 said:
I missed the $5 sale. :(

Still absolutely unquestionably worth $10. Easily worth $20. I would be willing to pay $50. Remember that you're not buying a static game either, there's constant updates from the developers and even minor bug-fixing patches have added new content (even if it's just a couple new weapons). There's also the Multiplayer aspect and they're eventually looking to get PVP smoothed out and standardized... so eventually, the game will have side-scrolling customizable deathmatches and CTF... which actually sounds pretty fun.

Becquerel said:
Cause my questions seem to have been overlooked (maybe due to my editing them in):

Eventually you will reach a point where enemies turn into a nuisance. As long as they can't get into your door and the constant growling doesn't bother you, feel free to ignore the zombies. If they CAN reach your door (or your NPCs), throw some sand in front of it and they'll trouble you not.

If you haven't faced the Eye yet, I would suggest waiting on smashing Shadow Orbs. Maybe finish off your gold armor and collect some greater healing potions and shurikens (buy them from Mechant). The eye can be pretty dicey for first-time encounters. By the time you have the defense / potions / shurikens, the eye may just show up on it's own (You'll get a "You feel an evil presence watching you" message just before he shows). If not, grab some lenses and make an Eye at a demon altar.

But yes, I would say that once you're a blinged-up geezer, the eye is your next target.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Tiyuri (the artist) just tweeted:

"**This will NOT be in the upcoming patch** I wanted to let the builders know we haven't forgotten you, working on this: http://t.co/7BSkRgr"

sMLOHl.jpg

SWEEEEEEET.

Taking a wild guess here, but the brown "statue" is probably a dummy you can dress up w/ armor.

Some new objects incoming for builders, won't be in the next update. But coming. On mobile and it won't let me post the image for some reason. But here's the link.

http://twitter.com/#!/Tiyuri/status/90808798268239872

Edit: Too slow!

Tacitus_

So after 25 hours I've got the molten armor and the best sword in the game, Molten Fury for a bow and a handgun. I've killed the repeatable bosses for a couple of times, maimed Skeletron and explored the dungeon and the oceans. Great value for the 2,5 euros I paid for it. Can't wait for the patches for new endgame content.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Tacitus_ said:
So after 25 hours I've got the molten armor and the best sword in the game, Molten Fury for a bow and a handgun. I've killed the repeatable bosses for a couple of times, maimed Skeletron and explored the dungeon and the oceans. Great value for the 2,5 euros I paid for it. Can't wait for the patches for new endgame content.

In the meantime, you need to do a Boss Rush, and a Triple Boss fight. :p

DanDeschain said:
Holy shit @ GAF server. That place is amazing. Thanks for the mirror and tips Harlan!

NP, hope you enjoy the game.

Tacitus_

HaRyu said:
In the meantime, you need to do a Boss Rush, and a Triple Boss fight. :p

I thought Skeletron was a one kill fight? But I might do some boss farming so I could get a platinum coin. And gotta create a lava moat that doesn't destroy items for my tower. And finish my skybridge. And I haven't explored the sky on the western side of my world.

Gah, and I have stuff I should do >_>

atre324

finally finished my herb garden/alchemy tower!

2ykz3o5.png

I have a picture of my main base too but it's not quite done yet, I've been holding off for months though so maybe I should just post it lol

edit: sorry for the huge pic, anyone know how to make it so you have preview images/thumbnails?

so i've hit a bit of a wall, i've got all gold armour, and some demonite stuff (axe, sword, bow) but can't really figure out where to 'go' next. i guess my next task is to try to get the demonite pixaxe but i'm not entirely sure how to get the shadow scales.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
xbulletholes said:
so i've hit a bit of a wall, i've got all gold armour, and some demonite stuff (axe, sword, bow) but can't really figure out where to 'go' next. i guess my next task is to try to get the demonite pixaxe but i'm not entirely sure how to get the shadow scales.

after gold armor you start going after the set piece armor like jungle and necro and molten

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Was just on the Gaf server and it was pretty amazing. The creativity was astonishing. Although, I am so new that all I had was a bucket on my head and was killed by lava multiple times. Even though I was just on it I cannot remember the person who gave me the tour but thank you. (Ruffles)

Keep up the great work guys.

Jobacca

Neo Member
atre324 said:
finally finished my herb garden/alchemy tower!

I have a picture of my main base too but it's not quite done yet, I've been holding off for months though so maybe I should just post it lol

edit: sorry for the huge pic, anyone know how to make it so you have preview images/thumbnails?

That looks amazing.

Holy Fuck Yes!

Finally, I've been hoping they'd add more stuff for building and this stuff seems great

I hope that safe and the wardrobe are both counted as chests - even if the wardrobe only allowed vanity items and the safe only allowed bars and/or money. You'll hopefully be able to dress that statue with armor/vanity items to (definitely seems so since it's just plain wood texture). Pretty excited about that stuff, wish it was next patch - I'd have so many fucking bells.

Just started the game yesterday due to being on holiday. Already put three hours into it and feels like I've barely seen any of the world yet. I'm really, really loving it so far!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
I'm probably confused but I've been able to get demonite ore with the copper pickaxe. Is it another kind of demonite?

No, that's still probably demonite. If Demonite is above ground level (0 elevation), you can mine it w/ any pickaxe. If the Demonite is below ground level, you'll need Gold-tier pickaxe or higher.

For those that cant tell what's "ground level", you are technically underground when the background dirt looks like there's little rocks in it, so there's no little rocks in the background if you're ground level. If you make yourself a depth meter, you can tell that way too.

Enco

Hopefully the bin actually works as one.

And a safe! I've always wanted one! I'm assuming it's a locked chest. Awesomeeee.

Majukun said:
where are the bosses in this game?i have traveled quite a lot but no sign of something resembling a boss

There's 3 bosses, I'll spoiler the text for anyone wanting to figure them out themselves.

Skeletron is a boss that appears when you talk to the old man who is standing in front of the dungeon, a brick building far out in the world, most likely close to or even in the ocean.
Do not fight him at day, he will insta-kill you there.

The Eye of Cthulu and the Eater of Worlds are bosses you can trigger in different ways. First is that they appear at random. Then you can smash Shadow Orbs, black glowing spheres you find in the Corruption (the purple area with the flying bugs). Alternatively, you can craft items at a Demon Altar that allows you to summon them. You'll need Lenses from Demon Eyes for a Suspicious Looking Eye, and you'll need Rotten Chunks from the Corruption Bugs to create Worm Food for the Eater of Worlds.

I'd recommend doing Skeletron last, he's nasty. Eye is comparably easy, Eater is somewhat harder.

If I forgot something or am wrong about something, feel free to correct me, I'm still a noob at this game after all lol.

Sophia

Becquerel said:
If I forgot something or am wrong about something, feel free to correct me, I'm still a noob at this game after all lol.

Nothing as far as I can tell, but, in regards to difficulty.

Eater of Worlds may be easier if you happen to get a weapon like the Ball O' Hurt or Vilethorn early on.

Marrshu said:
Nothing as far as I can tell, but, in regards to difficulty.

Eater of Worlds may be easier if you happen to get a weapon like the Ball O' Hurt or Vilethorn early on.
You can't really get those earlier since they spawn in Shadow Orbs and the Dungeon. You could get lucky if your second Shadow Orb has one at best. Well, as far the very first time you fight tEoW that is

atre324

Jobacca said:
That looks amazing.

Thanks!

Here's my current base, sorry again for the huge image lol
35m2iav.png

In case you were wondering what the rooms are:

Left side, top to bottom: Garden, Laboratory, Library, Temple
Middle, top to bottom: Empty, Guest room, Courtyard/graveyard, workshop, storage
Right side, top to bottom: Empty, Greenhouse/treasure vault, Armory, Dining Room

Below that is an obsidian skull that leads down to my mushroom farm and then to my underground refuge. Also at that level is a horizontal path that runs all the way from the dungeon in the west to the jungle in the east, and then the chute continues down to the underworld.

I still need to fill those empty rooms, probably will take up both with a master bedroom, and make the whole thing look pretty, so I'm nowhere near done....

Just hopped on the GAF server, that place seems amazing. I'm gonna stick to my current world for a bit longer though as I don't want to rush to the higher end content.

If anyone wants to play with me sometime though, especially newbies who also go the game on sale. You should add me on Steam and send me a message when you want to play.

Steam ID: sog_inferno.

Retro

HaRyu said:
Tiyuri (the artist) just tweeted:

"**This will NOT be in the upcoming patch** I wanted to let the builders know we haven't forgotten you, working on this: http://t.co/7BSkRgr"

sMLOHl.jpg

Well, it was a cool city, but I think when that patch lands, I'm gonna have to make an entirely new home world to replace Sanctuary. Hot Damn.

atre324 said:
Here's my current base

Looking good, and I like how each NPC has their own little apartment over each room (though they seem kinda small, poor NPCs need more space). Very cool stuff, I always like to see the guide being in a library (since that's what I did m'self).

atre324

Retro said:
Well, it was a cool city, but I think when that patch lands, I'm gonna have to make an entirely new home world to replace Sanctuary. Hot Damn.

Looking good, and I like how each NPC has their own little apartment over each room (though they seem kinda small, poor NPCs need more space). Very cool stuff, I always like to see the guide being in a library (since that's what I did m'self).

I was thinking that too, but I was thinking I could just try to retrofit my old rooms and then just add more rooms to the top of my house lol

Honestly the idea of Mannequins gets me hot. And tapestries/paintings~

edit: and thanks!

Twinduct

Retro said:

Yeah, think that's my biggest annoyance with this game (and minecraft come to think of it). I've spend quite alot of time building myself this awesome base, this was before the 'surface Jungle' patch. I didn't see this as such a problem, but I ended up spending more time in new worlds and only use one of world's as a dumping ground for all my items.

I know it comes with the territory, but god damn having to go through all the effort of mining everything again just kills my 'lust' for the game.

Houston3000 said:
You can't really get those earlier since they spawn in Shadow Orbs and the Dungeon. You could get lucky if your second Shadow Orb has one at best. Well, as far the very first time you fight tEoW that is
I got the ball in a random chest. Not sure where I got vile, but I've never been to the dungeon.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Did the server pork out on anyone else?

This is a game I can get into. Fun but simple yet has depth (literally and figuratively lol)

ksan

LiquidMetal14 said:
Did the server pork out on anyone else?

This is a game I can get into. Fun but simple yet has depth (literally and figuratively lol)
Yep, server died :(
Was probably gonna get some cool loot for someone from that chest I found in the depths.

I'm kwikkE

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ksan said:
Yep, server died :(
Was probably gonna get some cool loot for someone from that chest I found in the depths.

I'm kwikkE
What's you Steam ID?

And what does the parallax setting do in the video settings? And is there any mods or something to make the game shine more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom