• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drek

Can you run the dedicated server software on a computer that is not logged into a Steam account and that doesn't have Terraria installed?

I'm thinking about setting up my desktop to act as a server for my wife and I to play on our laptops. I'm going to be jumping through some hoops getting it to run on her Mac using the wrapper someone put together, but if I can get that rolling I'm hoping a server would be a small step beyond that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Drek said:
Can you run the dedicated server software on a computer that is not logged into a Steam account and that doesn't have Terraria installed?

I'm thinking about setting up my desktop to act as a server for my wife and I to play on our laptops. I'm going to be jumping through some hoops getting it to run on her Mac using the wrapper someone put together, but if I can get that rolling I'm hoping a server would be a small step beyond that.

I have no idea, never tried. I know Terraria itself won't run w/o Steam, so I would assume the server is the same way.

pr0cs

HaRyu said:
I have no idea, never tried. I know Terraria itself won't run w/o Steam, so I would assume the server is the same way.
Yes you can, it's a loophole that I've used at home.
My kid doesn't have steam (he's 6) but I was able to run terraria for him as a server then disconnect him from steam and run my copy so we can adventure together on the same account.

one of the two machines will get complaints from steam that you need to log back in but the game runs fine still.

User33 said:
Watching gameplay videos, this is basically 2D Minecraft with a greater emphasis on enemies and exploration?
It's much more "video gamey" than Minecraft, as in it follows some more traditional aspects of RPG or Metroidvania style games.

Gear is a much much larger part of the game than gear in Minecraft; for example:

In Minecraft you have 4 levels of armor each of which requires exactly 24 bars (or diamonds or whatever material) to craft. Each armor increases your defense by a static amount. Period. You gain those materials by digging deeper and mining that material. Weapons are similar, you have a handful of different level swords and a bow.

In Terraria you have 3 levels of basic armor that you craft by using material found deeper and deeper underground. Beyond that there are 5 more sets of armor that you craft with unique materials found in different unique biomes or through special conditions such as killing bosses and searching for meteorites. These armors have varying properties beyond armor value (increase melee damage, gives you mana, increases run speed, etc). There are too many weapons to list, spanning many weapon categories (short swords, broadswords, bows, boomerangs, guns, flails, etc) each one with various unique named items with special properties and then on top of that there are magic items that shoot fireballs, magic vines, caustic spray, etc... and well, you have mana so there's a whole casting system.

On top of that you have bosses, mini bosses, you have have set hazardous dungeon environments, things like that. Another major factor is when you build your structures and meet certain criteria various NPCs move into your building(s) - they sell unique items and can restock some basic things like ammo or mana/health for you. I wouldn't say there's a very clear cut goal in Terraria to work towards (they're adding that within the coming patches) but there's a very defined progression that actually has little to do with the complexity of your fortress - unlike Minecraft.

That all probably sounds like I'm putting down Minecraft but I'm not. There are obvious differences in each game beyond just the 3D vs 2D graphics. Really the games are only similar in that you mine materials with a pickaxe and build structures (granted that's a rather unique similarity they share) beyond that they aren't as much alike as may appear at first glance.

Drek

pr0cs said:
Yes you can, it's a loophole that I've used at home.
My kid doesn't have steam (he's 6) but I was able to run terraria for him as a server then disconnect him from steam and run my copy so we can adventure together on the same account.

one of the two machines will get complaints from steam that you need to log back in but the game runs fine still.
Fantastic. Just what I was hoping for because I didn't want to get another version of the game just to run a server.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I still am kind of clueless as to how Terraria is played or what it's all about...but you guys all seem so enthusiastic about it that I had to buy it.

Enco

IPoopStandingUp said:
I still am kind of clueless as to how Terraria is played or what it's all about...but you guys all seem so enthusiastic about it that I had to buy it.
You explore, dig and find treasure. You then summon bosses and fight them.

Firehead

Ugh, I can't get any other NPC, aside for the guide to move into my house. I've created four levels so they can have their own rooms, added chairs and tables to each level, as well. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I found five life crystals and five gold chests in one underworld trek (some cloud jar thing, swift boots, dynamite, some type of arrows and an enchanted boomerang), so that's neat.

Have you put in a light source (torch is sufficient)? Have you made them accessible through platforms? You also might have to put in some more walls, I remember my merchant not moving in until I walled out the background behind the floor/ceiling between first and second floor.

Sophia

Firehead said:
Ugh, I can't get any other NPC, aside for the guide to move into my house. I've created four levels so they can have their own rooms, added chairs and tables to each level, as well. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I found five life crystals and five gold chests in one underworld trek (some cloud jar thing, swift boots, dynamite, some type of arrows and an enchanted boomerang), so that's neat.

Each room needs it's own lightsource, and make sure it's big enough and the NPC can access it. You also need to meet the individual requirements for each NPC. As you have Dynamite and five life crystals, you've met the requirement for the Nurse and Demo man.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for all those who go to the server:

As you are all well aware, we plan to create a brand new world when the update hits.

The problem right now though is that many of you are probably getting a little bored by the fact there's hardly any good loot left to find, and the current world is pretty much cleared.

Here's the question: Would you guys just like a brand new world right now? We'll still get a new world anyway when the update hits. I'm only asking because all the waiting for a new update/new world is just driving me crazy. :p

Sophia

I wouldn't mind a new world, although I think the decision would be best left up to more of the regulars. It felt very hard to navigate around the current server world.

IPoopStandingUp said:
Start: You're a person with a vest, some pants, and a copper pick-axe. You have no where to live.

*Insert Game Play Here*

End: You're a person wearing big glowing red fire armor, with a huge ass fire flail, flying around on rocket boots who kills giant floating 30ft tall skeleton heads for fun. You live in the biggest, most elaborate fucking castle ever constructed.

Make it happen, go!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
Start: You're a person with a vest, some pants, and a copper pick-axe. You have no where to live.

*Insert Game Play Here*

End: You're a person wearing big glowing red fire armor, with a huge ass fire flail, flying around on rocket boots who kills giant floating 30ft tall skeleton heads for fun. You live in the biggest, most elaborate fucking castle ever constructed.

Make it happen, go!

You forgot about the middle:

Middle: You run around crying like a little school girl when either a giant floating eye, big ass worm, or a huge evil skeleton, try to make your body bend in ways no mortal should ever experience. Then they kill you.

Grinchy

Banned
Of course the blood moon happens right when I'm working on a new house. This pic actually doesn't show that many zombies, but there are enough that I can't really build peacefully.

Ms2zx.png

Grinchy

Banned
Hmm, good point. I usually just spend the night killing zombies. This was the first time I've just wanted to keep building.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
Can't you do the 2x2 ditch method in front of your doors?

Not only that, as an alternative, just put a torch or something on the inside next to the door.

Actually... how were they even able to open the door on the far right? You have a plant there, they wouldnt have been able to open it anyway.

Grinchy

Banned
HaRyu said:
Not only that, as an alternative, just put a torch or something on the inside next to the door.

Actually... how were they even able to open the door on the far right? You have a plant there, they wouldnt have been able to open it anyway.
I probably left it open. I was just grappling around when the blood moon message came up, and I just stayed on the roof and watched them pile in lol

kelbear1

Banned
Houston3000 said:

*Insert Game Play Here*

Make it happen, go!

Best summary of Terraria I've heard so far. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Retro

Twinduct said:
I know it comes with the territory, but god damn having to go through all the effort of mining everything again just kills my 'lust' for the game.

That's why I save *everything*.

*EVERYTHING*

I had chests full of Dirt. Had, because I used them to make the inverted temple on GAF server. Slowly building it back up too.

HaRyu said:
Here's the question: Would you guys just like a brand new world right now? We'll still get a new world anyway when the update hits. I'm only asking because all the waiting for a new update/new world is just driving me crazy. :p

I actually tinkered around with a 'starting dungeon' for new players this morning, I'll send the wld file your way as soon as I check to make sure it's not screwy.

Houston3000 said:

*Insert Game Play Here*

Make it happen, go!

Definitely a concise review.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You know, I would love to see someone do a time lapse video of Terraria. I would be pretty cool to see the player advance from digging a tiny hole for shelter to building increasingly advanced houses and settlements until they've warped almost the entire map to their liking.

Hixx

What I learned tonight:

Never go swimming with a full inventory. When you happen upon a golden chest and you're having to fiddle with inventory, you tend to forget to surface. And die. Leaving 2 gold in a random cave half a day away from spawn.

:(

Grinchy

Banned
Snuggler said:
You know, I would love to see someone do a time lapse video of Terraria. I would be pretty cool to see the player advance from digging a tiny hole for shelter to building increasingly advanced houses and settlements until they've warped almost the entire map to their liking.
Yes...please someone make this happen. Those minecraft time lapse vids are amazing.

ScRYeD

HaRyu said:
Tiyuri (the artist) just tweeted:

"**This will NOT be in the upcoming patch** I wanted to let the builders know we haven't forgotten you, working on this: http://t.co/7BSkRgr"

sMLOHl.jpg

SWEEEEEEET.

Taking a wild guess here, but the brown "statue" is probably a dummy you can dress up w/ armor.

Hopefully the bell rings at the hour and you can choose to turn the chime sounds off if you like. Maybe more dyes to make the coat of arms ribbon thingoes and to be able to play the organ/piano would be awesome as well.

First of all, I defeated the Eye of Cthulu. It actually randomly spawned on me (I assume because of me killing so many demon eyes - does that trigger the EoC?). I made myself pretty demonite tools, though I still need to get my hands on more demonite bars and shadow scales so I can craft myself a nightmare pickaxe.

But, that's not all! So, I just encountered a weird glitch. I was out, collecting some fallen stars and 'shrooms and shit. I return home and find one room of my tower partly blasted. Like, a door was missing, some tiles of the floor and one single wall piece. I have no clue what the hell happened, there was no blood moon or such, either, and it was on the third floor on top of that. I assume the nurse, who was living in that room, tried some acid-based medicine or something. :p

Originally, on one tile of the floor that disappeared a half of a golden chest was standing. Usually, you cannot remove the floor below a chest without removing the chest first, right? Well, this one was cut in half, standing on the intact floor tile. It still contained the gel and torches I put in. It just was half. So... I tried removing it with my hammer. I forgot you can't remove chests that have items in it, so this happened:
http://i.imgur.com/BaQ9N.png

After mining 200 or so gold chests, I realized that I still had stuff in it, so I took it out. I was able to remove the chest afterwards, and when placing it, it was full again.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Becquerel said:
First of all, I defeated the Eye of Cthulu. It actually randomly spawned on me (I assume because of me killing so many demon eyes - does that trigger the EoC?). I made myself pretty demonite tools, though I still need to get my hands on more demonite bars and shadow scales so I can craft myself a nightmare pickaxe.

Yes, if you kill a lot of those demon eyes, the Eye of Cthulu can spawn and attack you.

Becquerel said:
But, that's not all! So, I just encountered a weird glitch. I was out, collecting some fallen stars and 'shrooms and shit. I return home and find one room of my tower partly blasted. Like, a door was missing, some tiles of the floor and one single wall piece. I have no clue what the hell happened, there was no blood moon or such, either, and it was on the third floor on top of that. I assume the nurse, who was living in that room, tried some acid-based medicine or something. :p

Originally, on one tile of the floor that disappeared a half of a golden chest was standing. Usually, you cannot remove the floor below a chest without removing the chest first, right? Well, this one was cut in half, standing on the intact floor tile. It still contained the gel and torches I put in. It just was half. So... I tried removing it with my hammer. I forgot you can't remove chests that have items in it, so this happened:
http://i.imgur.com/BaQ9N.png

After mining 200 or so gold chests, I realized that I still had stuff in it, so I took it out. I was able to remove the chest afterwards, and when placing it, it was full again.

If you encounter any strange glitches, it sometimes is caused by that part of the world not loading correctly. You should exit the world and pop back in, it usually fixes it.

Demon eyes are the worst part about night time, they're just so fucking annoying. ~_~

HaRyu said:
If you encounter any strange glitches, it sometimes is caused by that part of the world not loading correctly. You should exit the world and pop back in, it usually fixes it.

But it was loaded correctly. The broken wood tiles and the door that fell out were lying around on the floor, I ran over them and was like "WTF, where did that door drop come from?".
It's like something caused damage to it, like an explosive or something, but I never used any explosives nearby my house.
And the broken off tiles weren't specifically close to each other like what a blast would blow out, either.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone is having problems connecting to the server, please let me know. The server was just rebooted, in case anyone was having issues.

LogicStep

So I need a way to teleport back to the house after being so deep down. How do I do this? Where do I get it? Does it take me back to where I was after I'm in the house?

Retro

zazrx said:
So I need a way to teleport back to the house after being so deep down. How do I do this? Where do I get it? Does it take me back to where I was after I'm in the house?

You can log out of the game and be back at your home upon logging back in. Alternatively, you can use a Magic Mirror item to instantly teleport to the initial spawn or a bed (if you have one).

LogicStep

Retro said:
You can log out of the game and be back at your home upon logging back in. Alternatively, you can use a Magic Mirror item to instantly teleport to the initial spawn or a bed (if you have one).
I see so I gotta wait until I rabdomly find that item.

What about some purple looking stone usually by lava, I can't break it and I have a gold pick, :(

Finally got a hook tonight after farming for around a hour. Of course as soon as one drops another dropped from the skeleton I killed after that one hahah fml.

Also finally saw lava for the first time, I really can't stop mining....I think it is a disease at this point.

Retro

zazrx said:
I see so I gotta wait until I rabdomly find that item.

What about some purple looking stone usually by lava, I can't break it and I have a gold pick, :(

Sounds like Obsidian, you'll need a Nightmare Pickaxe or higher to get that.

Really, the order of things seems to be Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold > Eye of Cthulu > Corruption/Demonite > Meteorite > Hell. With nice little switches to Dungeon/Jungle if you want to get the more specialized armor.

LogicStep

Retro said:
Sounds like Obsidian, you'll need a Nightmare Pickaxe or higher to get that.

Really, the order of things seems to be Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold > Eye of Cthulu > Corruption/Demonite > Meteorite > Hell. With nice little switches to Dungeon/Jungle if you want to get the more specialized armor.
I see, I have a long way to go then. Man I'm hooked to this game. Hours go by and I don't notice, I need to pee but I don't get up until I can't hold it anymore. This is like D2 all over again lol!

The Judge

Great game. Finally reached lava today, but I died accidentally while mining gold next to it :(

Maybe I'll join the GAF server on the new world when the patch comes out.

elfinke

I'm guessing I found 'corruption' and 'jungle' last night. I went for a walk along the extremes left and right of my known map, trusty bucket on my head and an upgraded pickaxe in hand.

After getting ganged up on and then destroyed by about 400 slimes at first, I whittled them down, and destroyed one called 'Pinky'. That was a great moment in my Terraria career.

I then went the opposite direction, and came across a purpley hazed area, with 'soul eaters' and funny mushrooms in it. I built myself a little cavity to hide in while I held down the left mouse button with one hand, and the other hand hovered over 'H'. My 5 hearts of life don't give me much breathing room, and yet, I manage to destroy a great number of these beasts before being overwhelmed as they managed to sneak attacks in between my attack animation.

I also found an entire area made of material I couldn't mine, behind which were some creatures moving that I couldn't quiet make out. Upon leaving that area in disgust with my puny flaccid pickaxe, I got promptly obliterated by some snakey-Contra looking thing.

So I returned to my homely shack, made of dirt, wood and random objects, and decided to craft as much material as I could from all my random pickups, and then to build an entirely new home (at this stage I still don't have an NPC living with me - the 'guide' is seemingly stuck at the bottom of the cave I dug beneath my shack.)

Anyway, this game fucking rocks. The screen shots of some of things you guys have built are nothing short of incredible.

Retro

elfinke said:
Anyway, this game fucking rocks.

Haha, I love this. I was reading your post thinking "Oh god, it sounds like he's having a terrible time and hates this game and curses GAF for hyping it up and wasting his time and money." All of that getting killed and living in a dirt shack...

And then that last line. Really sums up the Terraria experience; it sounds boring and frustrating and yet somehow it's addictive and entertaining even to people who have put weeks of play time into it. This game really does have some magic going on.

After 20 hours of playing, this is where I'm at.

42BBDD608FFCF174D148203D39907828D3AC77EB

Found as many Heart Crystals as I can. I haven't dwelled on the surface much at night... well I've been digging, so I only have 40 mana. I went into the corrupts surface area. Kicked ass, but was afraid to go beyond that. I need a silver/gold pickaxe first so I can dig through that demon stone stuff... Boy, my brother needs to fix his computer so I can get him to help me.. it's tedious doing this things by myself.

One thing that is awesome is the regen rings. It pretty much keeps my health at max, at all times.

anddo0

Done for the day. Tomorrow I take on the EYE! I got sidetracked and maxed out my health and mana. So I'm more than ready now.

myTerraria.jpg

So the game finally clicked for me today. Played about 6 hours @_@

I did get a weird crash (didn't save it). I think I was writing the text in a sign, then left the window. When I came back, it happened. Luckily the auto-save didn't cause me to lose much progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom