• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
So the game finally clicked for me today. Played about 6 hours @_@

I did get a weird crash (didn't save it). I think I was writing the text in a sign, then left the window. When I came back, it happened. Luckily the auto-save didn't cause me to lose much progress.

Yeah, that bug has been occurring since they did the last patch. We expect it to be fixed in the upcoming one. In the meantime, be aware that when you write on the signs (or tombstones), you might crash the program.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I've shut down the server a little early tonight, expect it back up tomorrow morning at the usual times.

Teknoman

Marrshu said:
I wouldn't mind a new world, although I think the decision would be best left up to more of the regulars. It felt very hard to navigate around the current server world.

I wouldnt mind, but only because i'm a new guy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
my current home:

It's a WIP, as you can probably tell, but it was originally a huge mound of mud so I've made a lot of progress. I'm not sure where to take it from here so I'll probably dig some tunnels and shit under it.

I had a nurse in the area but I'm pretty sure she fell into my moat.

Retro

Snuggler said:
I'm not sure where to take it from here so I'll probably dig some tunnels and shit under it.

Needs a big watchtower coming up on the left side to survey the marshlands about you. Maybe some apartments for the other NPCs too. I love the wooden aesthetic, feels like a luxurious, upgraded version of a ramshackle jungle keep.

My current world doesn't have an above ground jungle. I'll have to remedy that next patch and build a big wooden fortress out there since I really like the look you've got going.

mug

My current residence
3Hvjh.jpg

I'm also working on a massive mansion in the sky and a basement for the chests.

johnsmith

remember me
Spent most of this evening playing it. I think i'm done. It was fun for a bit, I got all the gold equipment, a cloud in a bottle, an enchanted boomerang, and the grappling hook.

But looks like to proceed I'll have to kill the eater of worlds to get shadow scales to get a new pick axe. It seems like way too much work to spawn him and kill him. Especially if you have to do it multiple times to get enough shadow scales.

Somebody motivate me to keep playing.

NBtoaster

firehawk12 said:
Do the NPCs know how to climb platforms?

And, relatedly... how do you delete wood platforms? :lol

Use a hammer.

NPCs don't climb or jump higher than 2 blocks I think, but they will still live in houses no matter their position. When they arrive they will try to get to their house, and probably fail and just wander around near it, but if you go offscreen for a while or quit the game they should be in their house when you return.

Teknoman

johnsmith said:
Spent most of this evening playing it. I think i'm done. It was fun for a bit, I got all the gold equipment, a cloud in a bottle, an enchanted boomerang, and the grappling hook.

But looks like to proceed I'll have to kill the eater of worlds to get shadow scales to get a new pick axe. It seems like way too much work to spawn him and kill him. Especially if you have to do it multiple times to get enough shadow scales.

Multiplayer.

Speaking of which, I guess i'll keep playing SP until you guys start a new world on the GAF server. That way I can get in and explore/build my home on the "ground floor" with everyone else.

NBtoaster

johnsmith said:

Destroying 3 orbs isn't too difficult. Just get lots of dynamite and blast through the stone.

If you run out of nearby orbs don't forget you can go to other worlds.

Retro

firehawk12 said:
Do the NPCs know how to climb platforms?

And, relatedly... how do you delete wood platforms? :lol

No, they don't. Building apartments above ground level is a good way to keep NPCs from wandering off.

Wooden Platforms are removed with the Hammer.

johnsmith said:

Keep at it. You're at the lull point between common metals and more exotic goods that requires you to tangle with some bosses who are kind of poorly built (at least, that's what the Devs have been saying lately).

It gets better once you're over the initial hump of bosses. The dungeon is full of great loot and Hell is fairly interesting. There's also the underground jungle worth considering (and really, you could do that now and get some more loot).

All you need to do to spawn the Eater is smash some Shadow Orbs. If you've killed the Eye of Cthulu, you can get the Dryad to move in. She sells Purification Powder, which turns Ebonstone (the dark stone in the corruption) to normal stone. Alternatively, you can get a rotten chunk (common drop from devourers) and vile powder (made from Vile mushrooms) to make Worm Food.

To get the Nightmare Pickaxe, all you need are 6 scales. Each segment of his body can drop up to three and he's made up of quite a few segments. Once is all you'll ever need, honestly. Even if you don't defeat him, you'll probably still get enough scales from the fight that you won't need to. Unless something has changed, the Eater usually despawns if you take too long or die.

Once you've got the nightmare pickaxe, it's a quick jump to Obsidian (for an obsidian skull) and then you can move to Meteorites and Hellstone.

Paprikka

I didn't realize meteor strikes were so fickle. My first one hit a mountain and gave me enough ore to make the Hamaxe, but my second hit a skybridge I had crossing a section of corruption and didn't even have enough blocks spawned to summon those little fire rock guys. Everything else has been amazing though, I killed the eye and worm bosses and dug all the way to bottom of the map with my new pickaxe, just need to start farming obsidian now for all the cool stuff.

I kind of want to try the dungeon now, but I'm not sure if I could beat Skeletron. Is he much harder than the other two bosses?

Retro

Paprikka said:
I didn't realize meteor strikes were so fickle. My first one hit a mountain and gave me enough ore to make the Hamaxe, but my second hit a skybridge I had crossing a section of corruption and didn't even have enough blocks spawned to summon those little fire rock guys. Everything else has been amazing though, I killed the eye and worm bosses and dug all the way to bottom of the map with my new pickaxe, just need to start farming obsidian now for all the cool stuff.

I kind of want to try the dungeon now, but I'm not sure if I could beat Skeletron. Is he much harder than the other two bosses?

Harlan discovered that meteors essentially break up as soon as they hit something, and then populate whatever bricks are adjacent. If you build a large skybridge, it will hit and only spread into whatever's nearby (i.e. just a few bricks). If another one hits, it will be decent sized (unless it his a skybridge again).

Skeletron can be kind of nasty just because he's always on your ass. He has two arms that reach at you and then his skull comes flying towards you and if you're not fast enough, it can just hover over you and tear you apart.

Best bet is to tear the above-ground parts of the dungeon apart so you can move around a bit and get a decent ranged weapon to hit him with.

The bosses are changing in the next patch, from what I gather from the dev's notes. Doesn't do much to help you now though.

Card Boy

Banned
Defiantly starting a new character now, and not touching multiplayer ever again. I joined a random server i found on the steam forums and people just gave me all these hacked items, now i have max life and acouple good weapon, now my character is tainted.

I will wait till 1.0.6 before starting again.

Retro

Gez said:
Defiantly starting a new character now, and not touching multiplayer ever again. I joined a random server i found on the steam forums and people just gave me all these hacked items, now i have max life and acouple good weapon, now my character is tainted.

I will wait till 1.0.6 before starting again.

Yeah, definitely stick to the GAF server, I've heard similar stories on the official forums. Getting everything handed to you ruins the game since most of it is about exploring and finding treasure. That's why I've been giving out only the most basic of basic convenience items; horseshoes and mirrors. And even the horseshoes take a lot of the early challenges of watching where you leap away.

I flat out refuse to make grappling hooks for people, that's a major game changer. I've made some iron tools for people and a few iron swords, but those are only the second tier and really only help to speed things up.

I think the worst I've done is made a full suit of Iron armor for someone, but they basically spawned into the world as a Goblin Army was about to hit and it would have sucked ass to get raped repeatedly with no explanation.

I think I gave a gun and some musket balls to someone too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NBtoaster said:
Use a hammer.

NPCs don't climb or jump higher than 2 blocks I think, but they will still live in houses no matter their position. When they arrive they will try to get to their house, and probably fail and just wander around near it, but if you go offscreen for a while or quit the game they should be in their house when you return.
Ah, cool. I assumed they needed to figure out how to get into the house before using it.

How do people get those backgrounds in their houses? I just built a simple stone structure above ground that is right about the stuff I've built underground so far, but all I see it sky behind it.

NBtoaster

PigSpeakers said:
How do people get those backgrounds in their houses? I just built a simple stone structure above ground that is right about the stuff I've built underground so far, but all I see it sky behind it.

Make stone or wooden walls.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NBtoaster said:
Make stone or wooden walls.

using the workbench which can be created at any time through your esc/crafting menu

just don't make dirt walls, they're useless, use stone or wood

HenryHSH

Help. I've had the game for three days:
tFoIM.jpg

So far I have defeated all three bosses, explored a dungeon, got the muramasa, full molten armor, molten pick, molten hammeraxe, fiery greatsword, jetpack thing from goblin invasion, a bunch of accessories and somethingfury or furysomething AANNND other things I'm forgetting from floating islands.

I'm playing the smallest size world, which I think has one dungeon. I wish dungeon chests respawn in different rooms with new loot after every bloodmoon. I have nothing left but to collect armor sets and explore the jungle. I have a full set of silver, shadowscale and molten (as mentioned earlier) armors. I also have a meteor suit a necro breastplate and a shit-ton of cobweb. I had another meteor hit before I logged off for the night, so hopefully it'll be enough for completing the meteor set. And I'll have to go back to the dungeon and kill some skeletons for some bones...

My only complaint is that there isn't enough weapons or items. I was hoping for a more diablo-like loot system. A socketing system maybe? The gems are already there.

edit: Pigspeakers, are you the guy that dances with a pig mask on? :p

LProtag

Well, I haven't had time to get into this since I just got it and I have the GREs coming up next week, but it's been pretty fun so far. The only thing that sucks is my internet decides to cut out when I attempt to connect to the server. It takes a while to get on as I have to wait for it to boot back up and try again.

Teknoman

Man forcing myself to stay away from the GAF server before the world is remade is hard. I want to see some of the buildings but at the same time, I know i'll be lured into picking up items that others are giving away...

demolitio

Well, I can't say you didn't warn me Retro. I just got done playing and it's apparently 5AM which I definitely didn't expect. Good thing I'm usually up now anyway so no sleep lost..

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Server is back up people, for those who want to pop on. :p

And guys, they're are currently holding a stress test too:

Tiyuri Twitter:
"ter.optimusprizzle.com Port 7778 Could you guys join this server for a few minutes to help us stress test some server issues? :)"

Huggy

How do you guys haul lava and water? Seems like you scoop a very small amount, so I guess lots and lots of buckets?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Huggy said:
How do you guys haul lava and water? Seems like you scoop a very small amount, so I guess lots and lots of buckets?

There's an exploit you can do w/ just one bucket. That's why one of the rules for the server is "Don't Flood the Server". :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay guys, just for today, brand new fresh world on the server.

Remember, we are going to make a ANOTHER new world for the update, for all i know, that could hit today, tomorrow, next week, whatever. Don't get too attached to this world.

Edit: actually, still think we need a vote on this. All in favor?

I might join if a new world is started - I don't think starting out there now would interest me much, as that the patch is gonna be released soon and you probably heavily looted the current world anyway. :p

Wired

I got the game during the steam sale and so far I've logged in about 36 hours, so at least I feel that I've started to get my money's worth :p

Here's my current home, still working on it:
2011-07-13_00001-1.jpg

Wired said:
I got the game during the steam sale and so far I've logged in about 36 hours, so at least I feel that I've started to get my money's worth :p

Looks great, I would zombie proof your main entrance though (raise it a couple blocks or at least hallway it out to a raised door) so you wouldn't have to put all those bricks up every blood moon

KPunk

Wired said:

2011-07-13_00001-1.jpg

jesus 36 hours already. the game went on sale not even a week ago lol.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, new (but temporary) world is up, to at least tie us over till the update hits. Its not a large map, but like I said, its temporary.

When you spawn in, you'll be dropped into the tutorial town. Head up if you want to skip the tutorial, otherwise, navigate through the rooms. The tutorial town is NOT stocked yet, since this is pretty much a preview.

BTW, the town is walled off underground by a 3 block layer of green dungeon blocks. This is to let you guys know you shouldnt be digging w/in that area.

HenryHSH said:
Help. I've had the game for three days:
http://i.imgur.com/tFoIM.jpg[/MG]

So far I have defeated all three bosses, explored a dungeon, got the muramasa, full molten armor, molten pick, molten hammeraxe, fiery greatsword, jetpack thing from goblin invasion, a bunch of accessories and somethingfury or furysomething AANNND other things I'm forgetting from floating islands.

I'm playing the smallest size world, which I think has one dungeon. I wish dungeon chests respawn in different rooms with new loot after every bloodmoon. I have nothing left but to collect armor sets and explore the jungle. I have a full set of silver, shadowscale and molten (as mentioned earlier) armors. I also have a meteor suit a necro breastplate and a shit-ton of cobweb. I had another meteor hit before I logged off for the night, so hopefully it'll be enough for completing the meteor set. And I'll have to go back to the dungeon and kill some skeletons for some bones...

My only complaint is that there isn't enough weapons or items. I was hoping for a more diablo-like loot system. A socketing system maybe? The gems are already there.

edit: Pigspeakers, are you the guy that dances with a pig mask on? :P[/QUOTE]

You are crazy and I love you for it.

<-Michael.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, since its a new world, Skeletron hasnt been defeated yet.

No one kill him until we get a few more people on. So if you want to participate in the Skeletron brawl, drop on by. Be warned though, the fight will go by pretty quick if there's more than 3 people. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom