• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
confuziz said:
I still don't get the house thing. I have made a pretty big house of stone and stone wall, complete with doors and all the other stuff that's needed, but the guide isn't coming back in. What am I doing wrong?
The NPCs actually do wander around outside, especially during the day.

If you want new NPCs though, you have to build more houses.

Hixx

confuziz said:
I still don't get the house thing. I have made a pretty big house of stone and stone wall, complete with doors and all the other stuff that's needed, but the guide isn't coming back in. What am I doing wrong?

Each NPC needs a seperate house. If you only have one, that's yours. Second is the guides. Third is for any NPC you meet the requirements for and so on.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
The NPCs actually do wander around outside, especially during the day.

If you want new NPCs though, you have to build more houses.

They wander too much. I've even tried locking some of them away in their rooms, but it seems when I'm not looking somehow they find their way around. I'm starting to think I have traitors on my server, freeing my slaves when I'm not looking. :(

confuziz

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Each NPC needs a seperate house. If you only have one, that's yours. Second is the guides. Third is for any NPC you meet the requirements for and so on.

Woops. =P

Edit : how do I make those big wooden platforms, not those tiny ones?

Ah I see they make them look like that when I build stone around them

duckroll

confuziz said:
Woops. =P

Edit : how do I make those big wooden platforms, not those tiny ones?

Ah I see they make them look like that when I build stone around them

Each wooden platform is 1 pixel. You can just keep placing then to make a big long one.

Peagles

So I got Terraria in the Steam sale and I think I'm addicted. I played it virtually all day yesterday, and my eyes feel funny. They're all red and sore...
terraria-eyes.png

Is this normal?

Lumine

This is indeed an awesome little game.

I played it for the first time last night. I made a world together with a friend. Actually, we ended up re-making it a couple of times because we didn't have much luck. Like our spawn-point being in the middle of the sea or that purple crap. Or not a single cave nearby. Well, we kinda learned along the way that we just have to dig more. Our first NPC should show up in our house soon I think. Also I made a gold sword for myself and a silver pickaxe for my friend. Oh yeah and I found some cool item that lets me jump twice as high, which is pretty awesome. I can't wait to play more.

Oh and what's this about a new update? Can anyone link me to its details? Does this update mean our world and characters aren't retroactive with the patch? Should we wait for the patch and start over? I'm a little confused.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Lumine said:
This is indeed an awesome little game.

I played it for the first time last night. I made a world together with a friend. Actually, we ended up re-making it a couple of times because we didn't have much luck. Like our spawn-point being in the middle of the sea or that purple crap. Or not a single cave nearby. Well, we kinda learned along the way that we just have to dig more. Our first NPC should show up in our house soon I think. Also I made a gold sword for myself and a silver pickaxe for my friend. Oh yeah and I found some cool item that lets me jump twice as high, which is pretty awesome. I can't wait to play more.

Oh and what's this about a new update? Can anyone link me to its details? Does this update mean our world and characters aren't retroactive with the patch? Should we wait for the patch and start over? I'm a little confused.

The world usually aren't retroactive, by the fact that if they add certain new things (new biomes), you wont see them in a current world, you'd have to generate a new world. This doesn't apply to EVERY patch, but it has applied to most patches. The devs did say for this next update, that they recommend a new world to be generated.

Characters are fine, you don't have to generate a new one for each patch (unless you want to try grinding a new world from scratch). You have to remember that characters in this game are like characters from Monster Hunter. You don't get stronger from getting more XP and by leveling up. You get stronger by all the loot you find. At the very least, your equipment might be gimped or made stronger, depends on what happens in the patch. We do know that the next update will in fact change around a lot of stats/abilities of armor.

You could just wait for the new update, but we really don't know when it will hit, and you'd probably get bored waiting. Just play now, don't worry about it too much, and decided about making a new world when it hits.

BTW guys, the server is now live.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
confuziz said:
How many NPC's are there in total, and are all available at the start? (if you have built houses for them ofcourse).

The NPCs are:

• Guide: available from start
  • Merchant: minimum 50 silver coins in inventory (not in chests/piggy)
  • Nurse: minimum 100 hearts(HP)
  • Demolitionist: a bomb in your inventory
  • Arms Dealer: a gun in your inventory (space gun and sand gun do not count)
  • Dryad: defeat a boss first
  • Clothier: defeat Skeletron first

Retro

Had a half-awake dream that I got up this morning and not only had 1.6 hit, but they had given us a 1.1 preview since it took so long. There were tons of new building items in addition to the ones previewed and they had added Chinese-style dragon bosses so big you had to grapple onto them and ride them around your world as they tried to twist and turn and shake you off.

Woke up, only Tiy is on and he doesn't post patch details. Was really hoping to see the patch this week, starting a new character the other night on GAF server made me twitchy to jump in anew.

IceMarker

Terraria needs voice chat so badly... until then I shall make a temporary channel whenever I'm playing the game and I'm on the official GAF Mumble server. I switch between my Steam backlog, some FPS' games, HoN, and Terraria nowadays.

EDIT: Every time I try and join the UberBat server at the enter port screen, when I hit accept, my screen freezes with the music still playing for a few seconds and just stays at the enter port screen. It was working fine yesterday...
EDIT2: I guess the server isn't up would be why! Feed me Harlan!

So we had a path to hell I think to the right of HQ and I was going down at the start I noticed a lot of water. And then I noticed big pools of lava. So I funneled the water down and was able to make near 500 obsidian. :D

atre324

Retro said:
Had a half-awake dream that I got up this morning and not only had 1.6 hit, but they had given us a 1.1 preview since it took so long. There were tons of new building items in addition to the ones previewed and they had added Chinese-style dragon bosses so big you had to grapple onto them and ride them around your world as they tried to twist and turn and shake you off.

Woke up, only Tiy is on and he doesn't post patch details. Was really hoping to see the patch this week, starting a new character the other night on GAF server made me twitchy to jump in anew.

This is the first thing I check every morning too lol

SmZA

Retro said:
"You know you've been playing too much Terraria when..."

KPunk

i've played this game for about 5 hours by myself, and wanted to join the GAF server to learn a lot more. looking throughout the pages i wasn't able to find the server info...can anyone help lol.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
KPunk said:
i've played this game for about 5 hours by myself, and wanted to join the GAF server to learn a lot more. looking throughout the pages i wasn't able to find the server info...can anyone help lol.

UberBat: The Unofficial NeoGAF Server

IP: 173.65.165.253
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

Zzoram

So every time you play the game it's a new generated world? Or do you create a world, play until you're bored, then generate a new world? Can you carry over stuff to a new world? Do you kill all the bosses and get the NPCs again in every new world you generate? For multiplayer, do people bring stuff into your world, and can they make major changes in your world with/without your consent?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
So every time you play the game it's a new generated world? Or do you create a world, play until you're bored, then generate a new world?

You play either in a world you generated, or someone else's world (if multiplayer). You don't HAVE to make a new world, but updates tend to add new things that usually require a new world to be made anyway.

Zzoram said:
Can you carry over stuff to a new world?

Whatever your character is carrying can be carried between worlds, yes. If you use a piggy bank, your stored items in piggy is persistent between world.

Zzoram said:
Do you kill all the bosses and get the NPCs again in every new world you generate?

New world means fresh world. You'd have to kill the bosses all over again, and make the NPCs appear all over again. But if your character is powerful, that won't be too much an issue.

Zzoram said:
For multiplayer, do people bring stuff into your world, and can they make major changes in your world with/without your consent?

As mentioned earlier, anything your character is carrying can be brought over, so you can essentially transport goods back and forth.

And yes, if you can do major changes in your world, you can do major changes in other multiplayer worlds. Yes you can do it w/o consent, but its frowned upon (and possibly get you a temporary ban from the GAF server). If you're on the GAF server and would like to modify something, ASK.

Zzoram said:
So every time you play the game it's a new generated world? Or do you create a world, play until you're bored, then generate a new world? Can you carry over stuff to a new world? Do you kill all the bosses and get the NPCs again in every new world you generate? For multiplayer, do people bring stuff into your world, and can they make major changes in your world with/without your consent?
Characters and Worlds are completely separate - everytime you open the game you choose what character you want to play and THEN you choose what World you want to play on with that character. You can generate a new world or load onto one of the worlds you've already generated and saved.

If you generate a new world all the bosses will be there. NPCs are spawned to the world so they won't be there when you start a new world because there's no rooms for them to live in but as soon as you build a few suitable rooms they'll start moving in based on your progress in that world. The Guide will be at the spawn like normal, then if you have enough HP already a Nurse will move in, a Merchant if you have enough gold, a Demolitionist if you have a bomb, a Arms Dealer if you have a gun, then the Dryad will move in as soon as you kill the first boss, and the clothier will move in when you kill Skeletron.

You can make major changes to multiplayer worlds - destroying other people's structures though is considered griefing and will get you banned most places.

Zzoram

So can you have multiple characters?

Do characters have any attributes that level up or skills to unlock, or is it purely about your skill and loot?

Zzoram said:

Do characters have any attributes that level up or skills to unlock, or is it purely about your skill and loot?
Characters have health, mana, and gear. There are no levels.

If you spend time on your first character and collect extra Life Crystals, Mana Gems, and craft an extra strong set of armor; you can essentially create a new character, give him all that gear and have him eat the Mana Gems and Life Crystals and he'll literally be the exact same as your initial character.

duckroll

Zzoram said:

You can have multiple characters. You pick a character whenever you select to play single player or multiplayer, before you choose a world. There is no leveling in the game at all, everything is based on loot and skill. You can find/craft items in the games which when used permanently increases the character's max HP and max MP, but that's about as far as it goes in terms of character stats. Everything else is determined by equipped armor and accessories.

Zzoram said:

You can have multiple characters.

So far you can raise your hp and mp.

Right now the primary level up system is leveling up your gear.

IceMarker

Zzoram said:

You can have multiple characters, I'm unsure if there's a limit...

The only attributes you can 'level up' is your max health and max mana which is achieved by collecting stars falling from the sky (mana) or finding crystal hearts deep underground (health). Every other attribute such as speed, defense, damage, etc. is due to what armor, weapon, or accessories you have.

Harlan turn on the GAF server already!

Zzoram

Sounds like a cool game. It was $4.99 during the Steam sale? I'll pick it up during the next sale. I'm still slowly finishing The Witcher 2 because I've been really busy.

duckroll

Grimm Fandango said:
Do meteors fall straight down? I was going to build a very tall wall right underneath a floating island because I know sky bridges can muck it up.

As long as there's something on top to catch the meteor as it falls it should be fine. You can reinforce skybridges too by just added a thick roof across.

duckroll said:
As long as there's something on top to catch the meteor as it falls it should be fine. You can reinforce skybridges too by just added a thick roof across.

Wait you mean if you add more layers to the skybridge, the meteor crash site won't have a pathetic amount of ore? How thick of a bridge is best?

Oh and I also only need 1 more Mana Crystal so I really don't need my skybridge anymore.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
Wait you mean if you add more layers to the skybridge, the meteor crash site won't have a pathetic amount of ore? How thick of a bridge is best?

Oh and I also only need 1 more Mana Crystal so I really don't need my skybridge anymore.

Yeah, the more material there, the better, not really sure how thick, someone has to go to a impact site and try to measure how deep it is, that should more or less give you your answer.

Do meteors actually fall and impact the ground, or are they simply generated? Is it possible to be present where it occurs and watch? What if you have a server with enough people to observe the whole map at once?

UncleSporky said:
Do meteors actually fall and impact the ground, or are they simply generated? Is it possible to be present where it occurs and watch? What if you have a server with enough people to observe the whole map at once?

I don't think you could have enough people on to watch everywhere or even want to do it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
UncleSporky said:

That's actually a good question. I don't think we actually see the meteor impact itself. We just get a message, and the area is replaced w/ meteorite. I'd love to see a meteor hitting something.

You could try and get enough people on the map to witness an impact, but it might just be in the code that it always happens offscreen, so if the map is 100% covered, the meteor impact may never occur. Just a theory.

If you built a skyway like I did (bridge attaching towards the floating islands), meteors will only have a portion of their ore compared to one that strikes the ground. Somehow if you have the entire ground covered, chances are it might hit a floating island instead!

I play on a server with close friends and we've actually had 2 meteors strike a floating island.

Enco said:
Pretty sure pressing H uses the potion further at the top of your inventory so put the ones you want to use before all the others.

I still haven't gotten a goblin invasion :(

Thanks for the heads up... I usually sort my stuff weakest to strongest.. so I guess it's time to switch that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
How do I know I'm ready to take on some bosses? At least Gold level armor/weapons?

Solo? If you've got Gold-tier or lower, you could try... chances of survival are extremely low though, unless of course you have some mad skillz.

How much HP do you have?

Edit: wait sorry, you'd HAVE to kill a boss anyway to get above Gold-tier (doh). So yeah, get up to Gold-tier first.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, trying to get into this for the first time. Built a basic shelter, stockpiled some torches and platforms, and started digging zig-zag straight down. Anything I need to know as a beginner GAF?

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, trying to get into this for the first time. Built a basic shelter, stockpiled some torches and platforms, and started digging zig-zag straight down. Anything I need to know as a beginner GAF?

Keep going, you'll reach hell eventually.

Retro

The_Technomancer said:

Don't go into water over your head.
Copper -> Iron -> Silver -> Gold
Watch that first step (until you have a Lucky Horseshoe)
Save *everything*.
Leave and return to a world to instant teleport.
Kill every skeleton you see until you get a hook.

Visit the GAF server for a quick tutorial and freebies (if they're still there and someone hasn't dug it all up to create a pit to hell.

Retro said:
Don't go into water over your head.
Copper -> Iron -> Silver -> Gold
Watch that first step (until you have a Lucky Horseshoe)
Save *everything*.
Leave and return to a world to instant teleport.
Kill every skeleton you see until you get a hook.

Visit the GAF server for a quick tutorial and freebies (if they're still there and someone hasn't dug it all up to create a pit to hell.

This most importantly. I was helped a lot. We can help you get on your feet.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know if I like the change to mud blocks. Did they really need some weird, seemingly random gravity effect applied to them? It makes tunneling through the jungle kind of annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom