• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Yeah, I tried to set things up in such a way that people can spawn there and then get the most essential info as quickly as possible in a learn-by-doing environment. I tried hard to keep the reading to a minimum and the doing/seeing-it-yourself to a maximum.

You don't see the sky until you get an explanation on day and night. You don't step into an area enemies spawn until you get a weapon and enemy info. You get torches and then navigate a dark passage. You get to actually *see* the crafting stations so you know what the look for.

Really glad people like it and are finding it useful.

The_Technomancer said:
How do I plant acorns?

They must be on grassy soil (not just dirt). Click just above the ground line to place them. They generally need 2 tiles of space on either side to grow, otherwise they'll stay saplings forever. You will also want to keep any other plants (weeds and flowers) from growing around them until they turn into trees.

Retro said:
Yeah, I tried to set things up in such a way that people can spawn there and then get the most essential info as quickly as possible in a learn-by-doing environment. I tried hard to keep the reading to a minimum and the doing/seeing-it-yourself to a maximum.

You don't see the sky until you get an explanation on day and night. You don't step into an area enemies spawn until you get a weapon and enemy info. You get torches and then navigate a dark passage. You get to actually *see* the crafting stations so you know what the look for.

Really glad people like it and are finding it useful.

Yea I thought the intro area was REALLY good, nice job :D

Wired

Oh man, I'm spending way too much time on the server building my tower.... Just can't stop adding and changing it around little by little :p

Retro

demosthenes said:
Yea I thought the intro area was REALLY good, nice job :D

Thanks. I think when 1.0.6 hits, we'll be rebooting the server and the tutorial will actually be semi-level with the surrounding areas. There's kind of a weird canyon on either side. I envisioned people crossing the wooden bridge there and being in a nice little mining town with more tutorials on digging, placing torches on walls/floors, etc.

Wired

He should add another size of world to the game... twice as large as the biggest one we have now! ;) And I'd really like to see more dungeons and stuff hidden around underground. Would give us more to explore and look for. Oh well, it's a work in progress.

Retro

The_Technomancer said:
Is there any way to have a smooth transition between different types of background walls?

Not without using a map editor and even then it can be kind of dicey. If you're doing stripes or something similar, they work (albeit with some heavy black banding between them), but any kind of corner will have sky visible behind.

If you just want different colored rooms, use a door. It hides the point where they meet fairly well.

atre324

Yeah, they really need to at least improve the transition between wood (and stone) and the other crafted backwalls, it's really annoying lol

Anyway, I'm really surprised the update hasn't hit yet, or they haven't at least told us when it would be over twitter/facebook/forums. I'm starting to lose hope that it'll hit this week :(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
atre324 said:
Yeah, they really need to at least improve the transition between wood (and stone) and the other crafted backwalls, it's really annoying lol

Anyway, I'm really surprised the update hasn't hit yet, or they haven't at least told us when it would be over twitter/facebook/forums. I'm starting to lose hope that it'll hit this week :(

They've never told us when a update will hit. Most of the time, they'll tell us there's an update AFTER it goes up. :p

HenryHSH

HaRyu said:
All right, fess up.

Who the hell dug a hole in Tutorial Town?

I did, but I covered it back up with blue bricks. I realized it was a bad idea when I logged back on later and the bricks were removed so I apologize. :[

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, Sgt. Pepper and I spent three hours or so beginning excavation on my world....holy shit this game is huge. We didn't even hit lava.

Man, I'd love to see some screenshots of the GAF server.

I've been sooo busy the last couple of days I haven't been able to log on - still haven't seen the new world or "Tutorial Town". Anyone got some shots?

Speaking of which, I feel kind of lame because so many of my most awesomeness is on my friends server and I always forget to screen-cap and I don't have access when I do think of it. Alot of this stuff is kind of old but I know there's a lot of new players - I built an entire town though in single player I haven't captured yet, the last bridge is part of it except now there's tons of water underneath and an alchemy station/garden on top.

(click for full size)

So this was where my first ever meteorite crash site happened (my character on the far right is at the invisible boundary):
D5CC2DD75E171E77ABD8B49B664E3AAA930EA08F

Built a little seaside shanty in case I died:
D7E9514269A336A96DBE347484F1A6B77814C8BA

Then built a little air area:
99183DCECAEA7E53BA047CD433BEDEDE40BAFF11

And then nothing a little stick of dynamite couldn't clear up:
8BFAC003D5AE556605729677D69E000C1C168301

Got over 340 meteorite ore in the end so I was happy :)

Okay, so I've heard that summoning Cthulu whilst the Eater of Worlds is out will instakill the latter. If I do this with, say, a friend with the Eater in view, will we be able to pick up all the drops or will it just disappear?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
MarshMellow96 said:
Okay, so I've heard that summoning Cthulu whilst the Eater of Worlds is out will instakill the latter. If I do this with, say, a friend with the Eater in view, will we be able to pick up all the drops or will it just disappear?

The Eater of Worlds "dies" if there's no player nearby. So if your friend was near it, it would attack him.

Supposedly, in the next patch, they're gonna make it display "The Eater has fled" instead of "The Eater has been defeated" if players are too far away from it.

I don't know if this has been talked about, but I have to ask. I haven't played in a while (an update or two have passed) but I played a little today and I'm getting some lag spikes which drop me down to like 30 FPS for a few seconds and then go back up to about 60. I have never had this problem before. Always ran at 60 FPS the whole time. Anyone else have this problem lately?

Sophia

HaRyu said:
The Eater of Worlds "dies" if there's no player nearby. So if your friend was near it, it would attack him.

Supposedly, in the next patch, they're gonna make it display "The Eater has fled" instead of "The Eater has been defeated" if players are too far away from it.

Actually, I believe that's the Eye of Cthulhu that "dies" if nobody is near it. For the Eater of World to despawn this way, you need to be insanely far away from it, otherwise it'll follow you.

Piercedveil said:
I don't know if this has been talked about, but I have to ask. I haven't played in a while (an update or two have passed) but I played a little today and I'm getting some lag spikes which drop me down to like 30 FPS for a few seconds and then go back up to about 60. I have never had this problem before. Always ran at 60 FPS the whole time. Anyone else have this problem lately?

That would be the auto-save feature.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
Actually, I believe that's the Eye of Cthulhu that "dies" if nobody is near it. For the Eater of World to despawn this way, you need to be insanely far away from it, otherwise it'll follow you.

Nope, its the Eater, not the Eye.

"Eater of Words message has been corrected when he 'flees'. He will no longer list as 'Defeated'."

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-0-6-progress-part-1-5-intermission.38494/

This is easy to test, before the the latest patch hit, if someone made the Eater appeared (orb or a summon item), if you used a magic mirror or ported far away, he would follow whoever did the summon (or stop and fight whoever was on the way).

Update: Eye doesnt follow, but he doesnt have the "defeated" message. He just doesn't show up. Thanks to the players on the server who participated in the experiment. :p

But since the patch (1.05) hit, if you did the above, he'd never come, and it would say he's "defeated"

However, to be honest, I havent tried a teleport when the Eye is summoned. I'm going to test that now, on the server. :p

Sophia

HaRyu said:
Nope, its the Eater, not the Eye.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-0-6-progress-part-1-5-intermission.38494/

This is easy to test, before the the latest patch hit, if someone made the Eater appeared (orb or a summon item), if you used a magic mirror or ported far away, he would follow whoever did the summon (or stop and fight whoever was on the way).

But since the patch (1.05) hit, if you did the above, he'd never come, and it would say he's "defeated"

However, to be honest, I havent tried a teleport when the Eye is summoned. I'm going to test that now, on the server. :p

The Eater followed me half way across a large map back to my home after it killed me, pre-patch. Likewise, I know the Eye despawned when I died.

SmZA

Sgt.Pepper said:
I'm still 2 gold coins short to get the mining helmet. What items have a nice selling value without being too difficult to find?
Mine sand, make glass. Make bottles, sell bottles. It'll still take a while but mining sand is super easy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
The Eater followed me half way across a large map back to my home after it killed me, pre-patch. Likewise, I know the Eye despawned when I died.

Did you teleport to the spawn? If you ran back, he would follow... a character doesnt usually run fast enough to put that much distance between him and the Eater.

Edit: Doh, you said it killed you. That means you did teleport to the spawn. Never mind. But that was still pre-patch. You can't do that now.

Sophia

HaRyu said:
Did you teleport to the spawn? If you ran back, he would follow... a character doesnt usually run fast enough to put that much distance between him and the Eater.

Edit: Doh, you said it killed you. That means you did teleport to the spawn. Never mind. But that was still pre-patch. You can't do that now.

Just tried it on my current single player save, with screenshots as proof. The Eater does indeed still follow you back to spawn. Or at the very least, it didn't despawn.

Edit: Nevermind. It made it half way of the distance to my house before it despawned. It still travels a pretty large distance tho.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
Just tried it on my current single player save, with screenshots as proof. The Eater does indeed still follow you back to spawn. Or at the very least, it didn't despawn.

Edit: Nevermind. It made it half way of the distance to my house before it despawned. It still travels a pretty large distance tho.

Yeah, the bug ruins any boss brawls near the main spawn if the corruption is some distance away. On my first MP server, we used to do double boss fights back at an area near the main spawn/HQ.

You can still do the double boss fights, but you'll usually have to do it on or near the corruption. Hopefully the bug is fixed in the next patch.

elwes

I just wanted to give a shout out to the harpies in my world for how awesome you all are.

Thank you for making "Operation Air Bridge" a success. Thank you for not hassling me endlessly while I attempted to build my Air Bridge from one floating island to the next. You truly made the project a peaceful, relaxing affair.

:|

Shaft is now only around 200ft from the bottom! Yes it got flooded with the water to the left of it. But all seems to be fine and no massive water damage has been done. Just a collection of it right at the bottom of the map!

But that's me off till Sunday, away camping in the lovely Scottish weather (rain) so wish me luck! Hopefully we've got it to the top by the time I'm back!

Enjoy the weekend folks!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So we have a new map at the GAF server? Awesome if that's the case, hopefully it will still be up and active when I get out of work in a bit. The old world was sweet, but I got there too late and it was all dug up.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
So we have a new map at the GAF server? Awesome if that's the case, hopefully it will still be up and active when I get out of work in a bit. The old world was sweet, but I got there too late and it was all dug up.

Its only a temporary map until the update hits.

DJ_Lae

Retro said:
Talk to him at night if you want to face the nastier of the three bosses. It won't end well if you're not prepared.

First time I did it I talked to him not long before dawn, and I quickly realized how I made a foolish decision even worse.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
MrMister said:
Server is back up guys, come on in, there's only 2 online atm! (Join the red party!)

Odd, that would explain why there was a sudden drop off in players. Thought you guys just got bored or something...

Please let me know if you guys ever have trouble connecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom