• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Mdeezy said:
Im still enjoying this game even though I havent even made any armor or weapons yet :(.....and Im on day 4

LOL. So what exactly have you been doing in the last 4 days? :p

I'll play with you gentlemen tomorrow.

Also is there a problem with setting up spawn points ?

I build a bed, right click it and nothing happens.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
gibon3z said:
I'll play with you gentlemen tomorrow.

Also is there a problem with setting up spawn points ?

I build a bed, right click it and nothing happens.

I assume you mean you place the bed in a room, then right click on it.

Placing the bed isnt enough, there are requirements (quoted from the wiki):
  • The bed must have enough space. The room doesnt have to be any specific shape but area of the room (including the walls, ceiling and floor) must equal 60 or more.
  • Enemies must not be able to spawn in the room, i.e connected area which allows spawns (Dirt wall, Dungeon Brick Wall or no walls) must not be larger than 4 wide or 4 high, a room that is 9 wide and 4 high split with a background wall down the center is usable as a bedroom
  • The room's exterior walls may be crafted from dirt. Only the background needs to be another material. It may be interesting to note that wooden platforms can be used as the room's exterior walls and the bed will work.
  • A bed may be placed in a non-rectangular room, so long as the blocks immediately above it are left clear.

HenryHSH

Retro said:
Talk to him at night if you want to face the nastier of the three bosses. It won't end well if you're not prepared.

He was the easiest for me, but by the time I decided to "free him" my character was OP.

Mdeezy said:
Im still enjoying this game even though I havent even made any armor or weapons yet :(.....and Im on day 4

Day 4 in-game?
zvn24.gif

Luigi87

Having only about 6-9 hours individually, a friend and myself opted to start a new medium sized world for us (we both only had a mix of copper and iron armor at the time).

... We played a lot. Got around to beating Eye of Cthulu, Eater of Worlds (three times, so farmed full sets of Shadowscale armor from the material), and Skeletron. Though my friend did get very dynamite happy at a point @_@ (Now nearly at 20 hours).

I felt so inadequate before, but now I feel much more safe with the new armor.
Oh, and Vilethorn is great...

Need something to lock in items in my inventory. Accidentally threw my Mirror away. Hate walking back to spawn. Also built a nice boss arena near the corruption. The Eye and Eater are easy mode now.

Dr. Pangloss said:
Need something to lock in items in my inventory. Accidentally threw my Mirror away. Hate walking back to spawn. Also built a nice boss arena near the corruption. The Eye and Eater are easy mode now.

Save and quit?

demolitio

Thanks again for the help tonight guys. This game has some serious depth to where there's always something to do. Little did I know that the Guide Voodoo Doll is extremely rare. :p

Those who helped me are welcome to have it if they want. You had to put up with me afterall...lol

kevm3

I hope with the increased difficulty that they don't continually make the game obnoxious. Slime lava that turned into a pool of was obnoxious (thank God they are removing that), cacti are obnoxious (at least make it where you can knock them out the way with your pickaxe or currently equipped weapon), and I've encountered only a few harpies, but that was after I got most of the powerful equipment, so they weren't as much of a challenge as they could've been.

Crazy night. We made it to hell, but we got killed by the lava. Those damn firebats and slimes pushing us around!

Out of the blue we got a message when we came back to spawn after dying. "Someone is watching you." Then that eye appeared out of nowhere, thank god that a minutes back I got the enchanted boomerang which saved our asses. Got 60 demonite from the eye, so I think I should wait until I get a nightmare pickaxe since we found lots of natural obsidian (many water onto of a lava pool for some reason.).

I think next we should farm those bosses to get enough demonite to get some nice things!

HenryHSH

Grinchy said:
Making some progress on the new house. I've had 3 blood moons and a goblin invasion to slow me down.

OljBg.jpg

Looks great! I've been thinking about starting a small world and turning it into a modern city but I should probably finish my minecraft project first.

Grinchy

Banned
HenryHSH said:
Looks great! I've been thinking about starting a small world and turning it into a modern city but I should probably finish my minecraft project first.
That's weird, because I thought of doing something similar. I was going to make towns and stuff with stone roads connecting everything. Maybe put in a school and stuff like that. Maybe have a modern city on one side of the map with skyscrapers and stuff.

Paprikka

I got dropped too, I just figured it was time for it to go offline since the post in the OP says it goes off at 3ish.

The little I saw was neat though, especially the newbie training area. I'll have to gather some stuff and get a better look around tomorrow.

MrMister said:
Server is back up guys, come on in, there's only 2 online atm! (Join the red party!)

What does "Join the red party" mean? I joined the server for a little bit yesterday and was told join the green party and I really have no idea what that means. Great job on the tutorial area. I wish I had gone through that before playing my world for 4 hours.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wired said:
So is the server down or is it just me having problems?

Server is down between midnight to 8 am.

If no one is on around midnight, I tend to shut down the server right there. If someone is on around midnight, I leave the server on. The computer itself will auto-shutdown 2 to 3 hours afterwards (that's why I sometimes say 3-ish).

I'd love to leave this thing running 24/7, but the fans sometimes put out annoying noise when this computer has been running for a while (and my bed is right next to the computer, so its kinda hard to sleep). I might be able to rectify the whole noise thing in the upcoming weeks, but for now, the server times are 8 am-ish to 12 midnight/3am-ish.

Server is back up (a little early), btw.

SmZA

BlueScrote said:
What does "Join the red party" mean? I joined the server for a little bit yesterday and was told join the green party and I really have no idea what that means. Great job on the tutorial area. I wish I had gone through that before playing my world for 4 hours.
When you press [ESC] to get your inventory, up in the top right of the screen you'll see some different coloured shields. Pick the relevant colour to join that party. It's there for PVP but it's also useful at other times because it'll tell you the location of other players on your team. I'm not aware of any other benefits.

Twinduct

Come on 1.0.6! God I hope they release it today (or tomorrow). I really want to play this, but everytime I boot it up I just get so bored (got all the gear :<)

Wichu

Although my PC can't run Terraria (doesn't support XNA), and my Macbook's doesn't either (so Boot Camp is out of the question), I just found out someone's made a Mac OS X wrapper for it which works even on my Macbook! Looks like I have something new to waste my time on :)

Enco

Twinduct said:
Come on 1.0.6! God I hope they release it today (or tomorrow). I really want to play this, but everytime I boot it up I just get so bored (got all the gear :<)
That would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

elfinke

So the GAF server is quiet something to behold O.O Well done to all the contributors.

Spent 5 mins running around (and dying, including falling down a tunnel for ~4800 damage), and noticed a few things which I'll take back to my world (using platforms a little more gratuitously! You can press down to go down platforms!)

My underground maze is full of strategically placed dirt blocks for movement lol.

confuziz

Banned
You all should check out the tower to hell (West ocean, or whats left of it =P) Especially the upper part!

It has a nice little surprise on top =)

I'm Neos btw.

elfinke

confuziz said:
You all should check out the tower to hell (West ocean, or whats left of it =P) Especially the upper part!

It has a nice little surprise on top =)
I only have 8 or 9 hearts, and they're only half full most of the time. I got slapped eater of souls or whatever they're called a couple times while wandering around both left and right of the starting area.

I will return; it's now officially the weekend, I will make time for more Terraria!

confuziz

Banned
elfinke said:
I only have 8 or 9 hearts, and they're only half full most of the time. I got slapped eater of souls or whatever they're called a couple times while wandering around both left and right of the starting area.

I will return; it's now officially the weekend, I will make time for more Terraria!

Use the underground tunnel, it's pretty safe.

coopolon

So last night I was playing and for some reason when day rolled around it was pitch black. I assume this was a glitch especially because of the weird cloud thing occuring near the ground, but with this game, you never really know. I checked the wiki for like eclipse or something and didn't find anything, but just figured I'd ask.

1B3FDDF408BCFEA53667365B27E398372B59B19D

webrunner

Man, my world is wierd. It took forever to find Sand, I've never seen a demon altar or heart container, but i found some demonite ore.. hell, I had demonite before glass!

I'm pretty far down (in the ... third? underground area.. the stoney background, under the dirt-and-stone and just dirt. I've beat mother slimes and stuff.)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
coopolon said:
So last night I was playing and for some reason when day rolled around it was pitch black. I assume this was a glitch especially because of the weird cloud thing occuring near the ground, but with this game, you never really know. I checked the wiki for like eclipse or something and didn't find anything, but just figured I'd ask.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596942892573911693/1B3FDDF408BCFEA53667365B27E398372B59B19D/

That would definitely be a glitch (I mean, the blue line down at the bottom pretty much is a sure sign).

webrunner said:
Man, my world is wierd. It took forever to find Sand, I've never seen a demon altar or heart container, but i found some demonite ore.. hell, I had demonite before glass!

I'm pretty far down (in the ... third? underground area.. the stoney background, under the dirt-and-stone and just dirt. I've beat mother slimes and stuff.)

Where were you looking for sand? Underground? You're guaranteed to run into the desert on the surface.

Demon altars tend to be near or in corruption, just digging down, you'll rarely see any.

Wired

Well I took a screenshot of my tower on the MP server since one day soon when the patch and new world hits it's going to be gone ;)

TerrariaMPtower.jpg

Please ignore the rotten pieces of meat, though they add to the general atmosphere of my home they were never part of the original design!

Retro

That's a crazy-looking tower, to be sure, and menacing. I do worry it will attract Devourers though, which could be a problem... not sure HOW the hell you got a nurse to move into that.

Also, I dunno if this has been said, but with the world editing tools Harlan and I used to build the tutorial area, we can copy and paste chunks of the map. The only thing that's lost in the process are the contents of chests (since that would be cheating), but in theory we can move stuff to the 1.6 map if you guys want to keep it.

Inkwell

Banned
I decided to explore the underground jungle for the first time. I got destroyed every time I ventured in there. The biggest problem is those damn jungle bats. I have a gold sword and silver armor. I haven't really used ranged weapons. I might craft some gold armor before I venture in there again, but something tells me it won't be much different than the silver armor. Is there anything else I should bring, or do I just need to go painfully slow and bring lots of healing potions?

webrunner

HaRyu said:
That would definitely be a glitch (I mean, the blue line down at the bottom pretty much is a sure sign).

Where were you looking for sand? Underground? You're guaranteed to run into the desert on the surface.

Demon altars tend to be near or in corruption, just digging down, you'll rarely see any.

I went sideways, but it took a long time to get to a desert.

I manged to find a demon altar outside of the corruption so, that's good.

Still no health thingies tho.

Inkwell said:
I decided to explore the underground jungle for the first time. I got destroyed every time I ventured in there. The biggest problem is those damn jungle bats. I have a gold sword and silver armor. I haven't really used ranged weapons. I might craft some gold armor before I venture in there again, but something tells me it won't be much different than the silver armor. Is there anything else I should bring, or do I just need to go painfully slow and bring lots of healing potions?

Is it a shortsword or a broadsword? The swinging arc of a broadsword makes it much easier to deal with bats, especially if you can back yourself up against a wall.

Ranged weapons are useful against single bats or bees. For large groups, a good sword with a wide arc is better.

How do I farm Eater of Worlds? My house is very close to the corruption, and there are tons of eater of souls round here. I mostly want the nightmare pickaxe to break the tons of obsidian I found.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
How do I farm Eater of Worlds? My house is very close to the corruption, and there are tons of eater of souls round here. I mostly want the nightmare pickaxe to break the tons of obsidian I found.

To farm either the Eater or the Eye, you need to either break shadow orbs, or create summon items. To even make the summon items, you're going to have to find a demon altar first.

HaRyu said:
To farm either the Eater or the Eye, you need to either break shadow orbs, or create summon items. To even make the summon items, you're going to have to find a demon altar first.
Oh, I've found many demon altars so that's not big deal, but a guy told me to make an 'arena'. I summom the monster, and do I go back to my house or something? I'm assuming I get a message first then the monster appears after a few seconds.

Inkwell

Banned
The Quiet Man said:
Is it a shortsword or a broadsword? The swinging arc of a broadsword makes it much easier to deal with bats, especially if you can back yourself up against a wall.

Ranged weapons are useful against single bats or bees. For large groups, a good sword with a wide arc is better.
Yeah, definitely went for the broadsword. What would be the best ranged weapon to use?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
Oh, I've found many demon altars so that's not big deal, but a guy told me to make an 'arena'. I summom the monster, and do I go back to my house or something? I'm assuming I get a message first then the monster appears after a few seconds.

Ah... you don't neccessarily have to have an arena. Generally, you want a nice flat area to run/jump around, preferably, far from any NPCs (because they will die). Makes things easier. And I normally wouldn't run off until I actually see the monster appear first.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
demosthenes said:
Ok next question. I spawn into my world into my house and the 2 bricks I land on detach and go back into my inventory, any idea why?

The main spawn point is that exact point. If you build anything in that section, its going to break apart. You can't move the spawn point (I know you cant raise it). I dont recall if you can lower it.

Inkwell said:
Yeah, definitely went for the broadsword. What would be the best ranged weapon to use?

I was lucky enough to find a boomerang, and then an enchanted boomerang (both in chests) before I went into the jungle. But those weapons are only good in the sense that they have unlimited ammo - in the wide spaces of the jungle, you'll probably lose a lot of arrows to pits. They don't do a lot of damage to the bees and bats at all, so you'll have to hit them many times.

As soon as I got enough jungle roses (40) and stingers from bees (20), I made a Thorn Chakrum and that really helped in my subsequent explorations. It has relatively high damage and ricochets off walls until it hits an enemy, making it possible for me to hide in "safe" spots and kill those pesky bats. I would recommend this as a mid-level ranged weapn.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Doh, just realized...

Guys, whenever the 1.06 update hits, the server will be taken down for about an hour or so while we prep the new world. Maybe not even an hour, but just warning you guys just in case. I'll post here when the server is back up.

If I use this to change my name will there be any repercussions later? Should I just dump my stuff in a chest and make a new character to be safe? Right now I go as "Chase" but I'd like my name to reflect my GAF tag instead.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Quote said:
If I use this to change my name will there be any repercussions later? Should I just dump my stuff in a chest and make a new character to be safe? Right now I go as "Chase" but I'd like my name to reflect my GAF tag instead.

It shouldn't cause any problems. Its not like you're trying to make your character powerful. All you're doing is changing the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom