• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paprikka

Ultratech said:
Busted up some Shadow Orbs last night on my little world, and had a Meteorite fall...into the ocean.
Tons of fun, ya know? Trying to mine a meteorite with sharks, jellyfish, and Meteor Heads flailing all around you. Managed to get most of it with some Dynamite, but barring a way to breath underwater, it's gonna be hard to get the rest of it.
If you have some waterleaf and coral you can mix it with a bottle of water to make a gills potion that lets you breathe water instead of air.

duckroll

Ultratech said:
Busted up some Shadow Orbs last night on my little world, and had a Meteorite fall...into the ocean.
Tons of fun, ya know? Trying to mine a meteorite with sharks, jellyfish, and Meteor Heads flailing all around you. Managed to get most of it with some Dynamite, but barring a way to breath underwater, it's gonna be hard to get the rest of it.

You can create breathing stations underwater with some creative block building. First you need to be standing on solid ground underwater. Then...

XXXXX
XX[]XX
---------

Build something like this, where [] is your character, and X are whatever blocks you want to use. Then break the two blocks immediately to your left and right. This should drain the water you were submerged in a little bit, creating an air pocket just above you which allows you to jump and recover breath. Alternatively you can do this:

XXXXXXX
XXX[]XXX
------------

And then cut away the four blocks immediately to your ledt and right. This might lower the water level around you such that you are no longer submerged.

Ultratech

I'll take that advice into consideration. Thanks.

Forgot about the Water Breathing Potion. May have one of those someplace if I look hard enough. If not, I can get the mats to make one pretty easily.

cametall

HaRyu said:
Yep, extremely rare. Also somewhat nearly useless. At least it makes fart noises. :p

It's also an excellent way to get your friend to accidentally dump a bucket of lava on your head while creating a new mine shaft.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ultratech said:
So, first time playing this game (single player). 3 days, 16 hours. That's about 5 hours per gameplay session...

To the point, is there any way to easily find the meteors? I found some corruption not far from my home and busted a couple shadow orbs. The second one made a meteor fall, but I have no idea how far from the shadow orb itself the meteor drops.

Any tips anybody might have on hunting meteors?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
drizzle said:
So, first time playing this game (single player). 3 days, 16 hours. That's about 5 hours per gameplay session...

To the point, is there any way to easily find the meteors? I found some corruption not far from my home and busted a couple shadow orbs. The second one made a meteor fall, but I have no idea how far from the shadow orb itself the meteor drops.

Any tips anybody might have on hunting meteors?

It isnt really that complicated. Just run from one side of the map to the other. If you don't see one, then it's either hit a sky island, or down in corruption chasm. Meteors can pretty much fall anywhere from the sky.

HaRyu said:
It isnt really that complicated. Just run from one side of the map to the other. If you don't see one, then it's either hit a sky island, or down in corruption chasm. Meteors can pretty much fall anywhere from the sky.

How do you know they fall? If I start a new game on a small world design, do they start there or do they need time to fall?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
HaRyu said:
I made a medium sized world, and it's also my first world, so I have no idea how big it is. If it's just that then, good.

Also had my first goblin invasion the other day. Endless stream of goblins. At least I managed to get 2 gold, right after I bought my mining helmet too!

demosthenes said:
How do you know they fall? If I start a new game on a small world design, do they start there or do they need time to fall?
Every time you break a Shadow Orb, there's a 50% chance that a Meteor will fall the next night.
Also, if one spawns, the game tells you with a tooltip on the bottom left of the screen

Enco

I don't know how but I lost 1 platinum (100 gold). I dropped it in my house by accident and it was gone. The guide was right there so I bet he stole it -.-

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
drizzle said:
I made a medium sized world, and it's also my first world, so I have no idea how big it is. If it's just that then, good.

Yeah, once you get the hang of it, just running back and forth along the surface won't be too hard. Especially w/ a combination of the Rocket Boots, Hermes Boots, and Cobalt Shield.

drizzle said:
Every time you break a Shadow Orb, there's a 50% chance that a Meteor will fall the next night.
Also, if one spawns, the game tells you with a tooltip on the bottom left of the screen

Spawns at midnight, 50% chance after a orb has been smashed. There is also a 2% chance a meteor will spawn w/o a smashed orb.

I am not sure if the meteors will actually start falling if you havent smashed any orbs on a new world, I usually assume they start falling after the first orb has been smashed (doesnt exactly say in the wiki).

BTW guys, I want to put the original map the server was using up for download. Any recommendations for what file host to use/avoid?

backlot

HaRyu said:
I am not sure if the meteors will actually start falling if you havent smashed any orbs on a new world, I usually assume they start falling after the first orb has been smashed (doesnt exactly say in the wiki).
I'm pretty sure I've gotten the "A meteorite has fallen" message before smashing orbs. I got one very early on but wasn't equipped enough to explore and find where it fell for quite a while.

Wired

At the 60 hrs mark in amount of time I've played the game. That's just insane I tell you. Talk about getting value for you money. Still haven't had a goblin invasion on my SP world, getting annoyed... really do want those rocket boots lol

Wired

Drazgul said:
Just go to Documents\My Games\Terraria and copy the files there into same folder on the other PC.

Yeah what he said, though if you just want the character just copy the files in the Players folder, obviously :)

demolitio said:
Don't remind me. That was the worst part about losing my world. I just put the voodoo doll in my chest at my base and now it's gone. :(

I have remorse..

I think I have a spare. You can have it if you want. I'll just leave it on the GAF server with a sign.

Ultratech said:

Check my post to see how I did it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29314124&postcount=2324

Just fortify yourself from the outside enemies and build some air pockets. Flippers are pretty much necessary and a Diving Helmet is nice to have.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
You can create breathing stations underwater with some creative block building. First you need to be standing on solid ground underwater. Then...

XXXXX
XX[]XX
---------

Build something like this, where [] is your character, and X are whatever blocks you want to use. Then break the two blocks immediately to your left and right. This should drain the water you were submerged in a little bit, creating an air pocket just above you which allows you to jump and recover breath. Alternatively you can do this:

XXXXXXX
XXX[]XXX
------------

And then cut away the four blocks immediately to your ledt and right. This might lower the water level around you such that you are no longer submerged.

Grimm Fandango said:
I think I have a spare. You can have it if you want. I'll just leave it on the GAF server with a sign.

Check my post to see how I did it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29314124&postcount=2324

Just fortify yourself from the outside enemies and build some air pockets. Flippers are pretty much necessary and a Diving Helmet is nice to have.

Both are much more time and effort than just making these.

Wired

phosphor112 said:
You know, I could have used all that obsidian you guys probably got!! *shakes fist*

It's REAAAAALLY hard making hellstone bars =/

I'm making an obsidian generator under my tower, you could go there when it's done

cametall said:
It's also an excellent way to get your friend to accidentally dump a bucket of lava on your head while creating a new mine shaft.

I found 2 extra ones the other day on Gaf server.. i put them in one of the gold chests at the "seaside resort"... though, there is no sea now. lol.

Wired said:
I'm making an obsidian generator under my tower, you could go there when it's done

Nice. Can you grab lava/water with buckets? The lava area near the tut base was apparently used for obsidian farming.. considering most of the water next to it is gone and there are obsidian blocks laying in the lava... I kinda want to restore it back to it's former glory.

AceBandage said:
Fuck Eye of Cthulhu....
I got him to 200HP and he runs away.
That's happened to me like 4 times now... He was down to 1100 hp once.. got hit by a fallen star... which does 1000 damage... I jump at the star (and him) to attack.

Sunrise....

both him and the star go away.

FML.

Sofa and I spent some time in her world, broke some orbs got 3 meteors to fall.

Killed Eater of Worlds :D

Can a meteor fall in a body of water? On the west coast of the map tehre is a body of water about 225 blocks wide and pretty deep. So our meteor is there or on a floating island :|

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd suggest equipping a watch and starting the eye exactly when sunset begins.

Also, using shurikens makes it a lot easier/faster to kill him if you have around 150 of them, since they hit him multiple times.

Nirolak said:
I'd suggest equipping a watch and starting the eye exactly when sunset begins.

Also, using shurikens makes it a lot easier/faster to kill him if you have around 150 of them, since they hit him multiple times.

Do shurikens arc like throwing knives? Cuz throwing knives kinda just poop out.

demosthenes said:
Can a meteor fall in a body of water? On the west coast of the map tehre is a body of water about 225 blocks wide and pretty deep. So our meteor is there or on a floating island :|

Yup. You need to search every area exposed to the sky for the crash site. It can be anywhere.

Wired

phosphor112 said:
I found 2 extra ones the other day on Gaf server.. i put them in one of the gold chests at the "seaside resort"... though, there is no sea now. lol.

Nice. Can you grab lava/water with buckets? The lava area near the tut base was apparently used for obsidian farming.. considering most of the water next to it is gone and there are obsidian blocks laying in the lava... I kinda want to restore it back to it's former glory.

Yeah you can use buckets to move water and lava. And utilizing a glitch or whatever you want to call it you can get unlimited lava or water from a single bucket. Only problem is that doing it for lava takes forever unless there's a method I'm not aware of.

Speaking of which the obsidian generator is ready! Anyone feel free to use it but since filling it up with lava takes forever if you have the time please fill the tank now and then

Ace and me went like men and fought with gold/silver tier armor against both the eye and Eater of World. Awesome run, we both got a piece of shadow armor and the pickaxe/sword/axe.

Our special eye farming arena, reminds me of a cake.

demolitio said:
Thanks man. You didn't have to do that though. I do want to take out the guide now since he broke into my house so he's going to have a rough day here soon.

No problem. Just take some pictures/video of his demise :)

Inkwell

Banned
I may have goofed a bit. I found a Staff of Regrowth and didn't really pay attention to it. Later, I crafted a Blade of Grass sword. It was then that I realized the staff actually did decent damage, and was a fast weapon as well. Now I'm wondering which of these weapons to use. I could have used my jungle roses to start crafting jungle armor.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Due to being frustrated the new update hasnt hit yet, new map was generated, and is now up and live.

A tower/apartment complex is now part of the preview, as well as a mine entrance. The tower is to the left of tutorial town, while the mine is to the right.

For those who dont want to bother making a house, you're all encouraged to pick a room in the tower and make it your own. You can redecorate the room you choose, however you want. You can even knock out the exterior wall and add a balcony and/or windows.

Been saying I'd post a screenshot of my 1.0.5 single player world for awhile so here it is.

Click for Full Size. Sorry the tiles aren't full fidelity I had to zoom out quite a bit in Terrafirma and didn't want to do too much more stitching.

I'm pretty happy about my skull 'o lava in my house. Just wish the apartments were a bit taller so you could pass underneath it.

Maybe I'll make a crazy lava design over the Hell shaft.

edit: oh and Houston that looks great.

Wired

we've been somewhat busy on the server, be sure to check out the top floors of the apartment complex if you get the chance :)

elfinke

So I fell victim to a quirk that is probably intentional but is really rather annoying. When showing items to the guide to work out what you can craft them to, if you hit ESC to close the dialogue the item appears as a lose item in the game world.

This is fine, unless it is day time and the items you were looking at are those fallen star items.

It's even less amusing when you have 20 or 30 of them :(

Aside from that, my little world has come along nicely. The nurse, guide, demo-man and merchant have moved in with me. I'm no longer a naked man instead I'm running around in some kind of armour and have some gold items. This games' pacing is immaculate. Just as I was petering out with copper everywhere but nothing exciting to do with it, I happened upon a sky island with gold everywhere (and a lucky horseshoe) and some caverns down beneath (lava too, with some mineral I couldn't mine with a gold pickaxe) and suddenly it was like an all new game :)

Great stuff.

Sophia

elfinke said:
So I fell victim to a quirk that is probably intentional but is really rather annoying. When showing items to the guide to work out what you can craft them to, if you hit ESC to close the dialogue the item appears as a lose item in the game world.

This is fine, unless it is day time and the items you were looking at are those fallen star items.

It's even less amusing when you have 20 or 30 of them :(

Aside from that, my little world has come along nicely. The nurse, guide, demo-man and merchant have moved in with me. I'm no longer a naked man instead I'm running around in some kind of armour and have some gold items. This games' pacing is immaculate. Just as I was petering out with copper everywhere but nothing exciting to do with it, I happened upon a sky island with gold everywhere (and a lucky horseshoe) and some caverns down beneath (lava too, with some mineral I couldn't mine with a gold pickaxe) and suddenly it was like an all new game :)

Great stuff.

I've accidentally clicked off Fallen Stars trying to move them. Lost 10 that way once. Very annoying mechanic because if you click at the right spot in the UI, you'll drop an item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom