• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wired said:
we've been somewhat busy on the server, be sure to check out the top floors of the apartment complex if you get the chance :)
I'll pop in quick to check it out. I claimed a spot last night, great idea. Hopefully no one steals my loot hahhaha

PRETTY AWESOME, LOVE IT, the beach!

duckroll

Any idea if the Night's Edge is worth it? I finally founda Muramasa in the Dungeon, and I have both Light's Bane and the Fiery Greatsword. If I gathered the materials from the jungle to make the Blade of Grass would it be worthwhile to craft all 4 swords into Night's Edge?

Fewr

Question from a (still) neophyte: how do you manage to take screenshots that big?
Is there a program that'll help me take photos of that size?

Wired

duckroll said:
Any idea if the Night's Edge is worth it? I finally founda Muramasa in the Dungeon, and I have both Light's Bane and the Fiery Greatsword. If I gathered the materials from the jungle to make the Blade of Grass would it be worthwhile to craft all 4 swords into Night's Edge?

Personally I prefer the Muramasa, you don't need to spam the button to attack and if you equip a pair of feral claws it's wicked fast. And since it has no real kickback they just stand there and take it. Might want to wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer though :p

I guess I'm late to the party but is Terraria worth it? I've got Minecraft but never really thought it lived up to the hype people give it. I'm kicking myself for not picking it up in the Steam sales.

Enco

Sourtreats said:
I guess I'm late to the party but is Terraria worth it? I've got Minecraft but never really thought it lived up to the hype people give it. I'm kicking myself for not picking it up in the Steam sales.
It's a 2D Minecraft with things to actually do (bosses to fight and things that are fun to try and collect).

Twinduct

Sourtreats said:

Never give into hype on any game. Core fans will undoubtedly believe the hype is justified, but in reality, you might just not end up liking it and that could solely be blamed on the hype.

Personally I believe this game is worth the hype it gets, as it is fun as fuck. But do some research before you commit, go to youtube and look at a few of the numerous Let's play vids, this will give you an idea on if this game is for you. Spending an hour watching videos of actual gameplay should help determine if this is worth it or not.

At the end its your money being spent and if you move in with false pretenses of what the game is about, then you'll just end up hurting yourself and deny yourself from enjoying the game.

Enco

Twinduct said:
Never give into hype on any game. Core fans will undoubtedly believe the hype is justified, but in reality, you might just not end up liking it and that could solely be blamed on the hype.

Personally I believe this game is worth the hype it gets, as it is fun as fuck. But do some research before you commit, go to youtube and look at a few of the numerous Let's play vids, this will give you an idea on if this game is for you. Spending an hour watching videos of actual gameplay should help determine if this is worth it or not.

At the end its your money being spent and if you move in with false pretenses of what the game is about, then you'll just end up hurting yourself and deny yourself from enjoying the game.
Agreed.

I fell into the hype pit of Minecraft and wasted my money on a building designer program.

Enco said:
Agreed.

I fell into the hype pit of Minecraft and wasted my money on building designer program.

That's how I felt. Don't get me wrong, It was fun at first but after a few days I got tired of it. I'm going to take Twinduct and watch a few Youtube videos of Terraria and see if I like it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:

Wired said:
Personally I prefer the Muramasa, you don't need to spam the button to attack and if you equip a pair of feral claws it's wicked fast. And since it has no real kickback they just stand there and take it. Might want to wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer though :p

Depends on your loadout for armor and accessories. If you're wearing Shadow Armor and have at least one Feral Claw equipped, the speed up is significant. I actually do Shadow Armor + two Feral Claws myself when I use Night's Edge (but I mainly run around w/ Jungle Armor, since I enjoy using spells more)

If you're using Night's Edge w/o any weapon speed boosts, its not really worth it.

Enco said:
Agreed.

I fell into the hype pit of Minecraft and wasted my money on a building designer program.
Same here. I did enjoy Minecraft a lot though for a while. But it got pretty stale and boring since I'm not that much into building stuff.

Terraria is a lot more fun to me since it has so many items that you can find. Almost everything is in the game that you feel could be useful at some point. For example, I was kidding around and asking my friends when you get the double jump item. 1 hour later my friend actually finds an item that gives you the ability to double jump. And there is a lot of stuff like that. This is more of a proper game than Minecraft is (or at least was, back when I played it).

So I bought it, having a blast even if I've died a few times.

What are these though?

Twm9w.png

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Info trickle:

From Blue's Twitter:
Terraria_Blue Blue
HC mode in 1.0.6 will be more to be like we originally wanted(deletes char), and we've added a MediumC mode with a middle ground difficulty.

Twinduct

Sourtreats said:
So I bought it, having a blast even if I've died a few times.

What are these though?

Twm9w.png

Good on you, the game is a damn blast and with the content updates, you'll soon feel you've gotten twice back from what you paid.
Just re-read my paragraph early, I hope I didn't come forward as being a demeaning or anything.

As I stated I really love this game, but didn't want you to follow blindly, considering what you mentioned with Minecraft. It happens too easily with Indie games =)

So, I finally prepared myself to face the Eater of Worlds, making an arena just next to the Corruption so I'm not bothered with Eaters of Souls. I summoned the guy and ran to my arena, just to have him disappear on me.

I then that looked up and saw that there apparently is a bug that causes the EoW to not be able to leave the Corruption. :(

Twinduct said:
Good on you, the game is a damn blast and with the content updates, you'll soon feel you've gotten twice back from what you paid.
Just re-read my paragraph early, I hope I didn't come forward as being a demeaning or anything.

As I stated I really love this game, but didn't want you to follow blindly, considering what you mentioned with Minecraft. It happens too easily with Indie games =)

You weren't at all. After watching a few commentary videos explaining some of the basics, I pretty much decided I liked the idea. I'm enjoying the mining exploration more fun than it was on Minecraft.

Finally got around to playing this game. After a few deaths, I managed to clear a spot and build my very own wooden house. Now I'm slowly exploring my surroundings, I built a forge, and now I'm in the process of replacing my wooden walls with brick ones.

Unfortunately, I can barely get out of my place anymore during the day, since those soul eater assholes started to show up. They're killing me every single time. :(

HenryHSH

duckroll said:

It was definitely worth it for me. The clicking is not so bad because everything dies fast (1 or 2 hits). I make room for 2 Feral Claws and put on my Jungle gear when I want attack speed with my Night's Edge. With Molten gear, Night's Edge will do around 45 damage to mobs.

SteelAttack said:
Unfortunately, I can barely get out of my place anymore during the day, since those soul eater assholes started to show up. They're killing me every single time. :(

That sounds like you got the Corruption literally in your front lawn.
You might want to start a new game or move to another area, away from the purple grass where these guys spawn.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
HenryHSH said:
It was definitely worth it for me. The clicking is not so bad because everything dies fast (1 or 2 hits). I make room for 2 Feral Claws and put on my Jungle gear when I want attack speed with my Night's Edge. With Molten gear, Night's Edge will do around 45 damage to mobs.

Jungle Gear?

Jungle Gear doesn't give a speed bonus anymore. It was taken out in the last update.

SteelAttack said:
Finally got around to playing this game. After a few deaths, I managed to clear a spot and build my very own wooden house. Now I'm slowly exploring my surroundings, I built a forge, and now I'm in the process of replacing my wooden walls with brick ones.

Haha, sounds unlucky... If you don't want to start a new game go out and dig away all the purple grass so it's as far away from your house as possible. Either plant sunflowers right at the edge or use stone to stop the corruption from spreading back towards you. Either that or pack up and move away from it. You're really not prepared for that until you got some gold equipment.

Check out my luck today:
5wcwh.jpg

Those were just two of the many hearts I managed to get today. I went from having a little over one row to having nearly two full rows. And I only played for about an hour before I left to go somewhere this morning.

Becquerel said:
I then that looked up and saw that there apparently is a bug that causes the EoW to not be able to leave the Corruption. :(
I think that was an intentional choice, not a bug.

Last night I summoned the eater 3 times, all of them when I was a ways into the corruption, and it still disappeared every time. That's a bug.

Fitz

charlemagne said:
Had my first goblin army, and ended up with 5 pairs of rocket boots. I thought they were supposed to be rare?

Shit, I've had 4 invasions in my world so far and not a single pair has dropped yet.

charlemagne said:
Had my first goblin army, and ended up with 5 pairs of rocket boots. I thought they were supposed to be rare?

They are rare; you just got extremely lucky. Most people have to face 3-4 armies before finding one.

chixdiggit

Need some direction...
I currently have....
A full set of Gold armor/weapons/tools.
A castle
Nurse, miner, shop keeper, gun smith.
Two full rows of hearts
3 mana stars (though no magic to use them.
I have been as deep as hell.

What do I do next? I have yet to kill any bosses. I think I might have found where the land is corrupted??? but I can not mine with gold pick axe????

Becquerel said:
That sounds like you got the Corruption literally in your front lawn.
You might want to start a new game or move to another area, away from the purple grass where these guys spawn.

Houston3000 said:
Haha, sounds unlucky... If you don't want to start a new game go out and dig away all the purple grass so it's as far away from your house as possible. Either plant sunflowers right at the edge or use stone to stop the corruption from spreading back towards you. Either that or pack up and move away from it. You're really not prepared for that until you got some gold equipment.

Thanks guys. Restarting was my only option. Found out the soul eaters were spawning off a huge-ass pit practically in front of my house. I packed what i could and left.

chixdiggit said:
Need some direction...
I currently have....
A full set of Gold armor/weapons/tools.
A castle
Nurse, miner, shop keeper, gun smith.
Two full rows of hearts
3 mana stars (though no magic to use them.
I have been as deep as hell.

What do I do next? I have yet to kill any bosses. I think I might have found where the land is corrupted??? but I can not mine with gold pick axe????
Next should be farming both Eye of Cthulhu and Eater of Worlds. Especially Eater of Worlds since that's the one that gives scales to craft the Nightmare Pickaxe. If you want I can play with you, I also need to farm Demonite to finish the Shadow greaves.

chixdiggit

Sgt.Pepper said:
Next should be farming both Eye of Cthulhu and Eater of Worlds. Especially Eater of Worlds since that's the one that gives scales to craft the Nightmare Pickaxe. If you want I can play with you, I also need to farm Demonite to finish the Shadow greaves.

Thanks for the help and offer. I wont have time right now but I may take you up on that later.

bengraven said:
I haven't played this game since the first week it was released.

Has it gotten even better?
Yes

There's now above ground jungles, desert, and ocean biomes; there's TONS more enemies including lava slimes, hellbats, demons, desert snatchers, bats, skeletal miners, vultures, sharks, jellyfish, crabs, a new sub boss, etc, etc; there's "vanity" gear slots now and an entire clothing crafting system with a new clothier NPC; there's an entire alchemy system with a plethora of plants to collect and craft a dozen+ potions that give you different buffs - which means there's also a buff system now; bunch of new items and weapons for all ranges of characters (new low end items plus absolutely devastating top-tier weapons); and then there are of course numerous balance enhancements and some updated sprite work. The next patch that should be hitting any day now is making major enhancements to the UI - color coding, being able to lock your action bar, loot all and auto-sort buttons for chests; plus the dungeon is being overhauled (swinging spike balls, keys, locked chests, etc...).

Not sure if I'm missing anything.

Peagles

I read somewhere that I can plant a sunflower to stop the corruption spreading, but my corruption patch is right next to a small desert, and I can't seem to plant one on corrupted soil...?

Will the corruption spread into the desert, or do I not need to worry?

Peagles said:
I read somewhere that I can plant a sunflower to stop the corruption spreading, but my corruption patch is right next to a small desert, and I can't seem to plant one on corrupted soil...?

Will the corruption spread into the desert, or do I not need to worry?
Sunflowers can only be planted on green grass.

The dryad will sell you Purification Powder for super cheap. Toss it on the grass and you'll be able to plant sunflowers. Alternatively you can buy grass seed from her to and dig out the dirt with the corrupt grass and replant green grass so you can place the sunflower.

Either way, the desert will block it from spreading for now.

Mordeccai

Just killed the Eater of Worlds a few times, I personally find it much easier to spam Vilethorn while wearing meteor armor on him than using the Ball o' Hurt.

Peagles

Houston3000 said:
Sunflowers can only be planted on green grass.

The dryad will sell you Purification Powder for super cheap. Toss it on the grass and you'll be able to plant sunflowers. Alternatively you can buy grass seed from her to and dig out the dirt with the corrupt grass and replant green grass so you can place the sunflower.

Either way, the desert will block it from spreading for now.

Cheers!

I think my problem is I don't have the dryad...? I only have the Guide, Nurse, Merchant, and Demolition... guy...

Good to hear the desert will stop the spread though, thanks.

Peagles said:
Cheers!

I think my problem is I don't have the dryad...? I only have the Guide, Nurse, Merchant, and Demolition... guy...

Good to hear the desert will stop the spread though, thanks.

You need to beat a single boss for the Dryad to move in.

demolitio

Holy hell! I think I found an area I shouldn't touch until I have A LOT better equipment. Some old man needs to be set free from a curse and I take a few steps into the dungeon I guess and these big skulls come out and kill me in one hit...Scared the shit out of me and robbed me of my money. :(

Peagles

Inferno313 said:
You need to beat a single boss for the Dryad to move in.

Ahh okay, thanks for that :)

The Eye of Cthulhu keeps summoning itself automatically and I don't think I'm strong enough to fight it so I just freak out and quickly save and exit! Bastard came into my house without even knocking!

I went to venture in the Underground Jungle, and I found this Zombie with a hat. I like it! And this Staff of Regrowth has a surprisingly great attack stat and speed.

I'm having a lot of fun just making crazy designs with lava and water. I propose we have an "art gallery" on the server when 1.0.6 hits.

An idea I have is making the GAF logo with it (pretty simple, I have more complex ones in mind too).

41A65B7B3E267F934E67D32A88498943883B6A79

E7C3D19FCE43F80CF7ECEFB0CEBEC566A623695A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom