• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Piercedveil said:
Oh wow, I didn't realize 1.0.6 would be so soon. I quit for a while and am just finding out about the 1.0.5 stuff still. But more to do is always a good thing for me.

Do the developers have a Twitter?

Well, it's been about a month since the last patch... everyone assumes it's going to be today, then tomorrow, then this weekend. Just as HaRyu, I bitch about it all the time on steam.

And yes, they do, though I have managed to avoid Twitter very well up to this point so I don't know what they are. Anyone else want to chime in?

Retro said:
Well, it's been about a month since the last patch... everyone assumes it's going to be today, then tomorrow, then this weekend. Just as HaRyu, I bitch about it all the time on steam.

And yes, they do, though I have managed to avoid Twitter very well up to this point so I don't know what they are. Anyone else want to chime in?

Found the Twitter. That should help me out a bit lol.

Sgt.Pepper said:
You can't make Shadow Armor without scales, which you get from the Eater of Worlds, a long melee weapon is good, and that stupid bow you make with Unholy Arrows do lots of damage since those arrows pierce and can hit multiple times. A good structure to fight is a bunch of wooden platforms not too far from the ground, and you can avoid much more easily its attacks. If you have demon altar near that you haven't used, you can summon the eater of world near your house.

Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I did. When I was fighting him I used the bow, unholy arrows, and I think Jester Arrows too. Once I ran out of those I just hacked him with my sword and healed when needed. Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Managed to craft a pickaxe and a suit of armor with all the demonite I got. I think I threw one dynamite stick too so I got a bit of ebonstone from there as well.

I absolutely need the Robot Hat. It would fit so perfectly with my NeoGAF name.
Robot_Hat.png

Joined the Gaf sever earlier today and was amazed at all the creations. I didn't want to be rude and take anything from the chests but I left a couple of gold coins when I died falling down a pit.

Well things were certainly interesting tonight...

as if a Goblin Invasion following a Blood Moon wasn't enough, Harlan had the crazy idea to summon the King Slime. And summoned he was.
5640489241E39828D6B53A1D54409DCD0CD239C7

But that wasn't enough; our thirst for Ninja Gear grew as our numbers did.
19EF81FD38CA071FD725D9936BC68FEAA26B4019

And he arrived again the very next day, even more pissed off.
89032AA45001F9DFE48647D39DF60D750315CEA0

But our greed knew no bounds. Soon others arrived to help our cause.
15D1360F15A0793B6BC72D205DCFAE4BD12EC83C

And then it got really desperate... I would have no part in this of course...
321196FEA4E110CE2C7F35EB8827935B1A1A00CD

MIA: LiquidMetal's sign (gone but not forgotten).

Bonus, try the brand new Jungle Jym. Additions welcome.
5C77742BF6C21ED150A31DF63D3DCF45EEA6C8ED

So, now that I've beaten both of the starter bosses, where to next? I still need to get all my villagers into their tower, but other than that I don't know what to do.

Retro

Quote, come back! You left just as I was making my way to you.

I have goodies.

Edit: Nevermind, game crashed so I'm gonna just call it a night. Next time I see you, I have a special hat for you.

Retro said:
Quote, come back! You left just as I was making my way to you.

I have goodies.

Edit: Nevermind, game crashed so I'm gonna just call it a night. Next time I see you, I have a special hat for you.
What, no way!? The girlfriend wanted to watch a movie, damn!

demolitio

Man, trying to explore the GAF server is insane since there's something to look at everywhere. I'm going to have to take a tour and figure out where to go next on there. I learned my lesson tonight though...This game isn't something I should play the same day as a procedure as it made me pretty nauseous. I'm hoping turning down the parallax setting will help with that though.

Wired

Bah, so ok I've been standing around forever trying to get the Ninja Pants as they are the one piece I'm missing. First on the Gaf server and then in my SP world. So far no luck what-so-ever. So desperate times and all that.

I'm looking for a trade, I NEED those pants in order to fulfill my potential as a true Ninja, I have no skills now but I know those pants would change everything!

What I have:

-Muramasa

-Flower of Fire
-Magic Missile

-Wizard Hat
-Cobalt Shield
-Cloud in a Bottle

-6 Guide Voodoo Dolls

-And other crap, minerals and stuff like that not worth typing down.

Lumine

Hey can someone tell me what the general way to progress is? My friend and I are almost in full silver/gold and our little home/castle thing is starting to grow... but we're kind of wondering what the next step is? Do we just dig deeper? Do we head into the desert (saw some not too far away) and dig there? Do we head into the purple/corruption area and dig there? (Haven't seen any on this world yet suprisingly). Or do we try to find one of those underground jungle area's I've seen people talk about? I'd rather not miss out or skip some area's and find out they've already become obsolete. Thanks. :)

demolitio

Lumine said:
Hey can someone tell me what the general way to progress is? My friend and I are almost in full silver/gold and our little home/castle thing is starting to grow... but we're kind of wondering what the next step is? Do we just dig deeper? Do we head into the desert (saw some not too far away) and dig there? Do we head into the purple/corruption area and dig there? (Haven't seen any on this world yet suprisingly). Or do we try to find one of those underground jungle area's I've seen people talk about? I'd rather not miss out or skip some area's and find out they've already become obsolete. Thanks. :)
I'm trying to figure out what to do next after taking out the EoC. I want to make sure wherever I go next is safe for what gear I have.

I think I might start playing on the GAF server more. This game is good to start in SP but I can see it being extremely fun adventuring with others and it definitely was the time I went underground and reached the lava but I felt like I was going to die 50 times so I wanted to get some gear first before going back again. Now I think I want to explore online just as much. I just want to know when I should go for the jungle biome since I really want the hero gear so I can look like Link while I listen to OoT music in the background while playing this. For any of you who got the OoT soundtrack recently, try listening to it while playing this game because it fits perfectly...

By the way, thanks you guys for the gear to start me off with. That helped tremendously. I can't wait until I'm at the point where I can help new people out and give them items.

Sophia

Lumine said:

A good next step is to start exploring the corruption, the underground jungle, as well as begin fighting the Eye of Cthulhu/Eater of Worlds. The Eye is easy if you have any decent range weapon or a lot of Shurikens. There's a lot of gear you can make off what the bosses drop. If you get enough hearts (200 HP I believe?) the Eye will start to show up at night.

Also, start making an Obsidian Skull, so that you can mine Meteorite and Hellstone. To make Obsidian appear, you need to make water contact lava. You'll need a good Pickaxe (Nightmare or Molten, the former can be made off the ores from bosses, the latter is from Hellstone) to mine it.

And most importantly, don't worry about "missing out" on stuff. A lot of the current endgame stuff can really be done in any order, except what requires an Obsidian Skull. Go at your own pace, have fun, build some awesome shit on the way, find some floating islands too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wired said:
Bah, so ok I've been standing around forever trying to get the Ninja Pants as they are the one piece I'm missing. First on the Gaf server and then in my SP world. So far no luck what-so-ever. So desperate times and all that.

I'm looking for a trade, I NEED those pants in order to fulfill my potential as a true Ninja, I have no skills now but I know those pants would change everything!

What I have:

-Muramasa

-Flower of Fire
-Magic Missile

-Wizard Hat
-Cobalt Shield
-Cloud in a Bottle

-6 Guide Voodoo Dolls

-And other crap, minerals and stuff like that not worth typing down.
I'm usually on later in the day (like 8pm EST US). I have a pair, lets talk turkey!

Vlad

Marrshu said:
Also, start making an Obsidian Skull, so that you can mine Meteorite and Hellstone. To make Obsidian appear, you need to make water contact lava. You'll need a good Pickaxe (Nightmare or Molten, the former can be made off the ores from bosses, the latter is from Hellstone) to mine it.

And most importantly, don't worry about "missing out" on stuff. A lot of the current endgame stuff can really be done in any order, except what requires an Obsidian Skull. Go at your own pace, have fun, build some awesome shit on the way, find some floating islands too.

Now, I don't even know what the obsidian skull does (just got the game on the Steam Summer Sale, and have avoided looking at the wiki unless I'm completely stuck on something), but I was able to mine meteorite just fine without an obsidian skull. All I had to use was the demonite pickaxe.

Sophia

Vlad said:
Now, I don't even know what the obsidian skull does (just got the game on the Steam Summer Sale, and have avoided looking at the wiki unless I'm completely stuck on something), but I was able to mine meteorite just fine without an obsidian skull. All I had to use was the demonite pickaxe.

The Obsidian Skull prevents you from taking damage from (most, Lava will still kill you) hot objects, such as meteorite and hellfire.

Lumine said:
Hey can someone tell me what the general way to progress is?
demolitio said:
I'm trying to figure out what to do next
This is pretty much the most standard progression of the game (read below though):

1) Dig and find ore; Copper, Iron, Silver, then Gold and construct each armor/weapon as you have enough
2) When you have Gold armor kill Eye of Cthulhu
3) Use dropped Demonite to create a Demonite Weapon for yourself
4) Buy Purification Powder from your new Dryad or stock up on Dynamite
5) Venture into the Corruption
6) Descend into the chasms and, using the Powder or the Dynamite, reach and break 3 Shadow Orbs - this will summon EoW
6B) Alternatively, collect Rotten Chunks and Vile Mushrooms, create Vile Powder and then, at a demon alter, craft Worm Food to summon EoW
7) Destroy the Eater of Worlds
8) Use Demonite and Shadow Scales to craft a Nightmare Pickaxe, and as much Shadowscale Armor as you can
9) Find and rummage through your Underground Jungle
10) Find and pillage your Floating Islands
11) Summon Skeletron at the Dungeon and defeat him
12) Pillage the Dungeon for all the phat loot (don't forget to steal the books, candles, lanterns, and spikes either)
13) Start collecting Obsidian and craft yourself an Obsidian Skull
14) Descend into the Underworld and collect Hellstone
15) Craft Molten Armor and the various crafted Molten Gear and collect the drops

There are Goblin Invasions and Meteorites to collect as well but since those are almost completely random there's really no way to fit them in.

If you're just getting gold armor you're literally at the very beginning. That being said the whole thing can be mixed up quite a bit. It's best to look at the Underworld, the Underground Jungle, and the Dungeon as all the same tier - it doesn't really matter what order you go to them. Basically, the only true straight line progression is that you need to face the Corruption and EoC/EoW to get a Nightmare Pickaxe before you can go to the Underworld and collect Hellstone.

webrunner

Okay so, within the two hours I played (hours 17 and 18, if you want to keep track) since I complained, I found five heart crystals.

Randomizers are fun!

Wired

webrunner said:
Okay so, within the two hours I played (hours 17 and 18, if you want to keep track) since I complained, I found five heart crystals.

Randomizers are fun!

hah, once I went underground and within 5 minutes I had found 7. Of course I already had full life by then and let me tell you to find them before then had not been so easy at all :p

Retro

Houston3000 said:
That's pretty much the most standard progression of the game (read below though):

I would make a few minor additions;

9. If you haven't already, get a Hook from skeletons to create a Grappling Hook.

It really comes in handy in the jungle, which tends to have lots of big, open areas and lots of enemies.

Also, you don't have to craft a Light's Bane; a Demon Bow is fine for people who want to be more range-centric.

Wired

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm usually on later in the day (like 8pm EST US). I have a pair, lets talk turkey!

Ok, sounds good. We're in different time zones but shouldn't be a problem since we've played together a few times already. Currently I'm doing my best to lure King slime out but it's not working too great lol

duckroll

HaRyu said:
Blue recently updated the wiki, explaining all the upcoming features (in the next update, and future updates). There is no news/info, its all stuff we already know, just all conveniently all on one page.

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Upcoming_features

Cool. I'm more interested in the future updates more than anything else. After 50+ hours with the game I feel that I'm pretty much done with the content that's available right now. It'll be fun to return to the game in a few months if the content updates are eventually released, and start a brand new world.

Wired

duckroll said:
Cool. I'm more interested in the future updates more than anything else. After 50+ hours with the game I feel that I'm pretty much done with the content that's available right now. It'll be fun to return to the game in a few months if the content updates are eventually released, and start a brand new world.

Yeah, by now I've spent nearly 100 hours on it. And while I'm not tired of it yet more stuff would help a lot.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Finally going to hop on this game tonight after buying it during the summer sale. Is there a good premade profile for mapping to a 360 pad? Something like joy2key or xpadder? Not sure how I should set up all my commands. Also how do I connect to the GAF server?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
mikespit1200 said:
Finally going to hop on this game tonight after buying it during the summer sale. Is there a good premade profile for mapping to a 360 pad? Something like joy2key or xpadder? Not sure how I should set up all my commands. Also how do I connect to the GAF server?

Here ya go:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/how-to-play-terraria-with-a-360-controller.38431/

As for the GAF server (its on the front page! :p ):
UberBat Server
IP: 173.65.165.253
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

And while we're at it, the Steam Group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neogaf_terraria

Wired

Several hours and NO King slime has been spotted, is it possible we have hunted this elusive monster to extinction already?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wired said:
Several hours and NO King slime has been spotted, is it possible we have hunted this elusive monster to extinction already?

Maybe it has something to do w/ the structure you built?

Wired said:

When I join the server in a little bit, I'll build the structure shown in the Wikia.

King_Slime_Outpost.png

I might add a lava pit beneath it to kill slimes.

Standing with the Water Candle while stationary is key I think.

I have a gold pickaxe! :D

I ventured down, deeper than I never had been in my few hours with the game, and found strange things, unbeknownst to my eyes. Huge, dark slimes, skeletons, undead miners and worms. Then they all killed me, but not before I managed to collect lots of iron, silver and two chunks of demonite ore, which I reckon is useful later in the game.

Now I have a bed and a depth meter! I feel like a pimp and can't wait to play the game again tonight. *does the surly dance*

demolitio

Thanks for the guidance. I've been picking up a lot of meteorite ore and breaking those shadow orbs but the game glitched out on me when EoW was summoned. It's good to know what to do next since I've been finding out the later things the hard way...lol

bengraven

I played some Terraria last night during a local internet outage and I'm loving the differences from the first week I played.

Still haven't noticed anything radically different however, maybe I need to keep digging deeper.

Vlad

So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm trying to stay away from the wiki whenever possible, to keep as much of the game as possible a surprise. If the wiki were laid out so that each article discussed ONLY a certain item, it wouldn't be an issue, but when looking up more info on the cloud-in-a-bottle, I was spoiled that there are
rocket boots
available at some point.

So, with that in mind, what's the deal with the meteors? I've smashed the shadow orbs, which, so far, has prompted three meteor strike notifications:

1) Couldn't find the damn thing for the life of me.
2) Came across it in the middle of a jungle-looking area.
3) It's sitting at the bottom of what I'm guessing is an ocean on the far right of the map. I grabbed some of it, but can't really clear it out due to the sharks and the fireballs that come out of the meteor itself.

I've been smashing shadow orbs left and right to try to get more meteors to spawn (in hopefully convenient areas), and after smashing at least 6-8 of them, nothing.

So, two questions:

1) How does the meteor spawning work, exactly? Will no more spawn since I've got at least a meteor and a half sitting on my world somewhere?
2) Do the shadow orbs ever respawn? If not, I guess I'm SOL as far as making a complete meteorite set if I smash all of them, or is there another way to get meteors to strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom