• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sgt.Pepper said:
How do you get lava to the surface? I'd totally make an evil dungeon or something with it.

Craft a bucket (3 iron bars) and scoop up some lava. I made little generators above my design so it wasn't that hard to fill.

Kalnos said:
Nightmare. Use the meteor for a phase blade.

Ok, that's what I thought.

I completed the Shadowscale/Nightmare Armor tonight and built a green phaseblade. I guess I should work on Jungle/Hell stuff now?

So, I've given this game a try and as I feared, it really isn't my kind of game. According to Steam, I've spent about 3 hours on it. I know that seems low, but I'm not even sparked to do anything, and I've forced myself to 3 hours because of all the high recommendations for it on GAF. Would have quit about 30minutes-1hour in otherwise.

I see all the cool screenshots that everyone has posted here, with a bunch of cool shit that they built. All I had was some shitty hut on a hill surrounded by water. And when I tried to dig my way down to explore, I ended up in the dark after I fell into some water, lol.

Shame, seems like such a great game. But fully open world games where you create stuff aren't for me. I prefer a slightly more guided experience, like say Just Cause 2 or whatever. As soon as it starts going over to like Stalker territory, I just like it less and less for some reason.

I still like seeing epic things people make with games like this and Minecraft though. Where's the full scale 2-d enterprise screenshot!

mike23

yellow submarine said:
So, I've given this game a try and as I feared, it really isn't my kind of game. According to Steam, I've spent about 3 hours on it. I know that seems low, but I'm not even sparked to do anything, and I've forced myself to 3 hours because of all the high recommendations for it on GAF. Would have quit about 30minutes-1hour in otherwise.

I see all the cool screenshots that everyone has posted here, with a bunch of cool shit that they built. All I had was some shitty hut on a hill surrounded by water. And when I tried to dig my way down to explore, I ended up in the dark after I fell into some water, lol.

Shame, seems like such a great game. But fully open world games where you create stuff aren't for me. I prefer a slightly more guided experience, like say Just Cause 2 or whatever. As soon as it starts going over to like Stalker territory, I just like it less and less for some reason.

I still like seeing epic things people make with games like this and Minecraft though. Where's the full scale 2-d enterprise screenshot!

Might help if you mentally turn it into a collecting game and try to find all the awesome loot and kill the bosses. That's how I play it.

yellow submarine said:

I started out just like this. Wasted about 3 hours accomplishing little. The game does have a bit of a learning curve and the Wiki is a must.

There is little need to be "creative" in the early part of the game. Just build a simple house then explore the surface a bit. If you reach Corruption, that's about as far as you should go. Then just dig into the ground, leaving torches everywhere. If you come across an area where you can't see the ground, look for other ways around. The game is usually kind to you, letting you find a safer way around. Or you can always just dig into the walls and make your own tunnel. You'll find some ore eventually and that's when you can get more serious.

And while it's not exactly fair to compare it to Minecraft, I dismissed it early because I thought the same: I like actual "games", not creative dirt building. But give it a little more time and you might change your tune.

Retro

yellow submarine said:

Terraria is much more of a game than Minecraft, which felt like a clumsy Lego set at best. The reason you saw people building crazy stuff like Rapture or the Enterprise is because that's just about all you CAN do with Minecraft.

At first, think of Terraria as a Survival game; you're dropped in the middle of nowhere with no resources and a few basic tools. To survive the slimes, zombies and demon eyes, you need to dig. In fact, building a little house should be the third or fourth thing you do.

1. Chop Trees / Kill Slimes. Make Torches (wood + gel). Find Mushrooms and other alchemy-related items on the surface or just below it.

2. Dig, exploring the underground for ore, gems, treasure and enemy drops. Turn ore, gems, treasure and drops into better arms and armor.

Repeat Step 2 until you notice it's dawn.

3. Build a simple house or two to get NPCs to move in. Build a chest and save some loot.
4. Dig, exploring the more advanced biomes (corruption, jungle, dungeon, hell) for more loot.

And those steps will lat you for the rest of the game, which I would estimate to be a good 30-40 hours at least. For $10, that's not bad, is it? Now, at some point, you may also find a material or see a screenshot that moves you to...
5. Realize "Holy shit, I can build a ton of shit in this game!"
6. Build a ton of shit.

But if you never reach those last two, you've still played a great loot-based platformer with heavy exploration / combat elements. Don't feel like this is a building game just because you can build stuff. There's plenty of exploration, combat and loot-whoring... with building on top of it.

Edit: And yeah, hanging out on GAF server can be fun. Not just because of the cool shit people have built, but because taking down a Goblin Invasion (which gets tougher as more people are joining in) or a boss with multiple people is a blast. The co-op exploring is fantastic and it's something I wish they would have put MORE work into (i.e tethering players to each other so you can lower each other into pits or over chasms). As it is, just digging around and playing with each other can be pretty fun on its own.

Retro

KPunk said:
how can i get the server info to join the gaf server..would love to jump along :)

IP: 173.65.165.253
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

It's also on the first page, like the third official post.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
KPunk said:
how can i get the server info to join the gaf server..would love to jump along :)

The info is on the first page of the thread, ya know. :p

Anyway:

UberBat: The Unofficial NeoGAF Server

IP: 173.65.165.253
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

EDIT: *shakes fist* DAMN YOU RETRO!

Retro

HaRyu said:
EDIT: *shakes fist* DAMN YOU RETRO!

Well, it IS my server after all, right?
KuGsj.gif

Edit: To avoid any confusion, I should point out that it is NOT actually my server, HaRyu runs it. However, due to confusion in the past, claiming the server is mine has become somewhat of an inside joke between... well... I guess 3 or 4 people. But I don't want people running around thinking it's actually my server. It'd be up a lot less than it is now if it were mine.

... and 1.0.6 needs to hurry the fuck up already. Finished A Dance with Dragons, my new TV doesn't arrive until Wednesday (and FiOS won't be installed until Saturday), so I'm just treading water until then....

.... shit, if 1.0.6 comes out while our internet is down....

Man, I'm neck deep in copper but hardly find any iron or silver or anything else...

Do I just keep digging or is it just random and not common?
Also, I haven't found any heart crystals *sad panda*

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Man, I'm neck deep in copper but hardly find any iron or silver or anything else...

Do I just keep digging or is it just random and not common?
Also, I haven't found any heart crystals *sad panda*

The closer you are to the surface, the rarer ore veins are. The deeper you go, the more ore viens you'll find (and they tend to get bigger too).

Drazgul

I'd highly recommend that for your first world you generate a small one - it's just easier and faster to find everything you need.

http://i.imgur.com/MG6J2.jpg here you can see a comparison between the world sizes, even small is huge for just one person to explore.

kelbear1

Banned
The game is starting to slow down a bit for me.

I ran into corruption really early near my starting point so I only had a relatively small surface area to explore. So I just explored downwards, and through any caverns I came across. Went and got a nightmare pickaxe while I had silver/gold armor, then went to hell to get a molten set, which went really quickly. All that hellstone is just right there for the taking, it took way longer to get the gold armor pieces.

Now I remembered that there was all that corruption I'd never gone through, but it's kind of too late since all that jungle, meteor, and shadowscale stuff I'd get for exploring isn't going to be any better than the hellstone stuff. They should make hellstone harder to get, or make the resulting products less effective, so that players get funneled towards the other stuff instead. I feel like I accidentally skipped too much of the game.

kelbear1 said:

I ran into corruption really early near my starting point so I only had a relatively small surface area to explore. So I just explored downwards, and through any caverns I came across. Went and got a nightmare pickaxe while I had silver/gold armor, then went to hell to get a molten set, which went really quickly. All that hellstone is just right there for the taking, it took way longer to get the gold armor pieces.

Now I remembered that there was all that corruption I'd never gone through, but it's kind of too late since all that jungle, meteor, and shadowscale stuff I'd get for exploring isn't going to be any better than the hellstone stuff. They should make hellstone harder to get, or make the resulting products less effective, so that players get funneled towards the other stuff instead. I feel like I accidentally skipped too much of the game.
Surprised you skipped Shadowscale Armor

Anyways, the other armor sets are all worth collecting as they all accommodate varying play styles. Shadowscale Armor greatly increases your attack speed, Necro Armor makes you run faster than a mother fucker (which means jumping further to), Jungle Armor makes you a attack a little faster but greatly reduces the mana cost of everything you cast, while Molten Armor has slightly more armor and makes you hit harder with melee. Now, Meteor Armor is a little weaker but not only does it increase your mana regeneration by like three fold it gives the Space Gun cost no mana to fire (so you can shoot forever). The Space Gun is pretty unique in that it shoots lasers which hit multiple targets and also probably the best way to find Floating Islands since it makes a weird sound when it hits land.

Not to mention did you craft you Molten Pickaxe, Molten Hamaxe, Phoenix Blaster, Fiery Greatsword, Molten Fury, and Flamarang using the hellstones? Did you get a Sunfury, Demon Scythe, Voodoo Doll, Darklance or any of the other rare underworld drops? Plus some of the best accessories are found in the underground jungle and one of the best swords is only found in the bottom of the dungeon (the best sword actually requires the highest tier swords from hell, demonite, jungle, and the dungeon to be combined).

I'm sure there's a lot more for you to do. I'm not even going to get into building the most bad-ass castle and village imaginable.

Retro

Drazgul said:
I'd highly recommend that for your first world you generate a small one - it's just easier and faster to find everything you need.

http://i.imgur.com/MG6J2.jpg here you can see a comparison between the world sizes, even small is huge for just one person to explore.

That's actually a bigger difference than I pictured in my head. Someone estimated that each tile is equal to 2 feet, making the Large worlds over 3 miles wide. Pretty impressive.

kelbear1 said:

The other armor there may be worth getting anyways. In the next patch, they are starting to shift their design a little bit. From what we've seen, Jungle Armor will become "Caster Armor", granting players a larger mana pool. Necro Armor is going to become the "Hunter" armor in that it grants higher ranged damage. Shadow Armor will likely remain the "Rogue" armor in that it increases attack speed. The Developers have mentioned that they want to have gear set up so there are certain playstyle-oriented 'classes'.

The defense ratings are apparently getting shifted around a bit so you won't feel like Molten Armor is "the best" but is instead one of many options. It may still have the highest defense, but when set bonuses are taken into consideration, it may not make that much of a difference. Because Molten Armor's set bonus is very melee-centric, it's ideal for up-close-and-personal combat. If your playstyle uses that, then you probably won't benefit much (though it's always nice to collect everything).

Like Houston says, there's a lot of stuff you may not need but is really fun to goof around with. I stuck to Muramasa and Molten Fury for a long time... then I hopped on the GAF server and started to fuck with other gear just for the hell of it. A lot of that stuff is really quite fun and allows you to change up your gameplay a bit.

Yeah, at this point, for a long time actually, I've pretty much had the best gear (though, not a Sunfury yet) and still enjoy running around and spelunking. I kind of have this "collect-em-all" mentality where I just like finding items and hoarding them. I was really excited the other day when I found the blowgun, I collected so many seeds it's insane, I mean... it's a 9 damage newbie weapon but I hadn't got one before so I was just happy to play with it and then throw it in one of my chests. In-fact my chests on my single-player world are stupidly filled to the brim - does anyone need a life-regen ring, hermes boots, shackles, etc... I have dozen plus of each.

I'm really into building to. I may not do some of these extremely elaborate construction projects with all the intricate block work or pixel sprite art but creating a new world and just building a newly themed town or castle is a joy. I built my traditional castle, then I built my village (still improving on it as you can see in my last screenshot), then I built my jungle treehouse, then I constructed my wood-land resort thing, right now I'm in the process of building my sand castle.

Retro

Houston3000 said:
Yeah, at this point, for a long time actually, I've pretty much had the best gear (though, not a Sunfury yet) and still enjoy running around and spelunking. I kind of have this "collect-em-all" mentality where I just like finding items and hoarding them.

I managed to get one of every item in the game, and it took quite a while. The hardest for me were the Robot Hat and the Bunny Hood just because they're tedious to farm. Piranha farm made the Hat easier, but the bunny hood was a matter of roaming around sprinkling bunnies. Even the Whoopie Cushion was easier (or I was just luckier to get two).

I kept a ton of stuff for GAF members, mostly mirrors and horseshoes (of which I am now out of). I don't want to spoil the getting-new-stuff experience for people, though, so I'm not handing out Muramasas and Rocket Boots. But I have a multi-story warehouse of just overflow shit that my individual buildings can't hold. For example, I had a chest of mirrors in my "Mage Tower" (they're magic, it says so in the name) and probably another half chest in my warehouse.

I think once I collected everything and built my city (to store all of those items in), I kind of dwindled a bit until I got on GAF server. Now that we're just holding our breath to 1.0.6, I'm waiting on a New World and New Character to experience the game all over again.

But yeah, if you let yourself, you can end up with hours and hours of time invested without even noticing. Last I looked I was closing in on 400 hours played (though I dunno if it's counting all the times I went to bed with the main menu open by accident).

Darklord

Banned
The corrupted areas are a fucking pain in this game. Just unlimited waves of those flying things attacking you. Half the time I can't even run because they swarm all over me. I'm not sure where to go now because on both sides of me there is corruption and I've already explored the underground area near me.

Retro said:
I managed to get one of every item in the game, and it took quite a while. The hardest for me were the Robot Hat and the Bunny Hood just because they're tedious to farm. Piranha farm made the Hat easier, but the bunny hood was a matter of roaming around sprinkling bunnies. Even the Whoopie Cushion was easier (or I was just luckier to get two).

I think once I collected everything and built my city (to store all of those items in), I kind of dwindled a bit until I got on GAF server. Now that we're just holding our breath to 1.0.6, I'm waiting on a New World and New Character to experience the game all over again.

But yeah, if you let yourself, you can end up with hours and hours of time invested without even noticing. Last I looked I was closing in on 400 hours played (though I dunno if it's counting all the times I went to bed with the main menu open by accident).
I'm up at about 87 hours since release. I haven't gotten every single item though, especially the vanity items - funny enough though the Bunny Hood was the first vanity item I got, followed closely by the Robot Hat and then the Ninja Shirt. Very random drops that I picked up almost immediately upon playing after that patch hit. I still haven't gone through the process of collecting the entire Ninja outfit or crafting the Heroes garb and can't get the Plumbers hat to drop (in fact, I have very bad luck with Underworld drops).

So collecting all that stuff is still a goal of mine but I find, more often, I'm engrossed in building projects and lately I've been stocking up on potions for no apparent reason. Maybe one day I'll need 100 Gravity Potions or 300 Shine Potions... who knows?

This games so fun. I'm slowly getting all my stuff together, just made my first bronze chest piece. Found several deposits of gold ore and need 2 more bars and then I can get a gold pickaxe and mine the demon ore I found.

Grimm Fandango said:
I'm having a lot of fun just making crazy designs with lava and water. I propose we have an "art gallery" on the server when 1.0.6 hits.

An idea I have is making the GAF logo with it (pretty simple, I have more complex ones in mind too).

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540648201824915817/41A65B7B3E267F934E67D32A88498943883B6A79/[IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540648201824916140/E7C3D19FCE43F80CF7ECEFB0CEBEC566A623695A/[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's actually pretty cool! I like the idea, especially if really advanced things were made like that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
I'm having a lot of fun just making crazy designs with lava and water. I propose we have an "art gallery" on the server when 1.0.6 hits.

An idea I have is making the GAF logo with it (pretty simple, I have more complex ones in mind too).

Piercedveil said:
That's actually pretty cool! I like the idea, especially if really advanced things were made like that.

We had decided that when 1.06 hits, the surface world is going to be "zoned" off for different things. One of the zones is strictly for the builders to make statues/pixel art.

Piercedveil said:

Thanks.

And I saved a pic of my most recent design in the server in case someone decides to go ape shit on it haha:

77CA8113D0213B3379B0A23BB4903D39D2CBC88E

HaRyu said:
We had decided that when 1.06 hits, the surface world is going to be "zoned" off for different things. One of the zones is strictly for the builders to make statues/pixel art.

Sweet.

RickA238

Darklord said:
The corrupted areas are a fucking pain in this game. Just unlimited waves of those flying things attacking you. Half the time I can't even run because they swarm all over me. I'm not sure where to go now because on both sides of me there is corruption and I've already explored the underground area near me.

My solution to getting past the corrupted areas is to build a sort of "skybridge" over them, made out of stone blocks. Stone blocks are plentiful and you should have a ton of them, especially if you have done a bit of tunneling, and the flying things can't get past stone walls. I can run past the corrupted area near my house in about 30 seconds now, plus the skybridge is an excellent way to harvest fallen stars at night. Problem solved.

Darklord

Banned
RickA238 said:
My solution to getting past the corrupted areas is to build a sort of "skybridge" over them, made out of stone blocks. Stone blocks are plentiful and you should have a ton of them, especially if you have done a bit of tunneling, and the flying things can't get past stone walls. I can run past the corrupted area near my house in about 30 seconds now, plus the skybridge is an excellent way to harvest fallen stars at night. Problem solved.

Good idea!

A question, can you make a spawn point or waypoint or something in this game? Like when I save and quit, do I always have to go back to my starting point?

Retro

RickA238 said:

Yep, that works nicely;
9YMps.jpg

XQ0nn.jpg

(Pulled back view, it's to the left of the floating island, by the way).

Darklord said:
A question, can you make a spawn point or waypoint or something in this game? Like when I save and quit, do I always have to go back to my starting point?

Craft a Bed, from Wood and Silk (made from cobwebs)

Wired

For those of you that haven't had the chance or, shockingly enough, haven't heard the buzz about the kind of indoor amusement we at the NeoGaf server can offer I'd like like to show a screenshot of our current offerings. Thanks to our tireless work we can now offer a variety of activities to our visitors, all available without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home!

Terraria_indoor_amusement.jpg

Darklord said:
Good idea!

You can make a bed which will allow you to set your spawn point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gully State said:
Which files would I have to move to transfer characters and world across different PCs? Played a ton on my dad's PC this week.
Use my Dropbox Cloud solution, you'll never have to move anything. I think the guide is in the OP...

GRAAAAH! I bea the Eye of Cthulhu (like a pro with shurikens and 2 rows of hearts) and then I went to go see what I could make with the demonite bars I'd made AND I ACCIDENTALLY MADE A STUPID BOW! I hate this. It's the second time I've accidentally made a bow. And then I'm stuck with it. Beating him wasn't so hard once I build my cool wood tower, but I just feel like I wasted so much.

What's the method for beating Eater of Worlds? Should I farm Cthulhu for more demonite and make some armor? And what kind of structure would be good to fight him in? Does it have to be over corruption too?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
RickA238 said:

Hawkian approved
E51F8CA0F3ADF273D0B82E3F88C7A69D5712CA5C

elfinke

So I mentioned earlier how I had a crappy little wooden shack and a bucket on my head and how I kept dying to stupid things, and yet was enjoying the game immensely.

I kind of hit a (figurative) wall a day or two ago. I was wearing a bit of iron gear, had a couple gold weapons/items, tonnes of copper and various minerals (ruby, sapphire etc) had found lava from my mining (not that I could do anything with it, or the hard mineral that surrounded it) and had a fishbowl on my head.

Since I couldn't yet tackle the enemies in the corrupt area nor the jungle area with any great ability, I was kind of bored, thinking I was never going to get any of the cool gear people were waving around (on the GAF server).

So last night I built a wooden sky bridge. And found another island. On this island I found the Starfury (along with a wealth of gold), but alas, with no mana I couldn't use it. But it at least inspired me to continue digging around. I later summoned the Eye of Cthulu with 1 of the many of crafted lenses I had, got him down to ~2400/3000 life before dawn hit and he disappeared (at least I'm guessing that's what happened).

Now with lots of gold, I crafted a new bucketless-gold helm and a gold pickaxe, and trundled off to the jungle area to see how I would cope. Turns out, I coped rather well. Moreover, the jungle is ripe with great stuff to kill and gather. From just an hour of running around in there, I had found an enchanted boomerang, tonnes of stingers (which the Guide tells me can be crafted into some pretty neat things), and materials to make a grappling hook. A handful of crystal hearts for good measure found there way into my inventory also.

And now it's like a brand new game! The grappling hook is a real game changer, making traversing the depths of previously well-trod mines a much more fun task, not having to worry about platforms and stairs and the like to get around.

And the boomerang, damn is that thing fun.

Anyway, I'm gonna summon that Eye again tonight, and see if I can give him whatfor.

Forkball

This game really needs a bigger inventory. There are so many cool and useful items, the amount of space they give you is simply not enough.

PigSpeakers said:
GRAAAAH! I bea the Eye of Cthulhu (like a pro with shurikens and 2 rows of hearts) and then I went to go see what I could make with the demonite bars I'd made AND I ACCIDENTALLY MADE A STUPID BOW! I hate this. It's the second time I've accidentally made a bow. And then I'm stuck with it. Beating him wasn't so hard once I build my cool wood tower, but I just feel like I wasted so much.

What's the method for beating Eater of Worlds? Should I farm Cthulhu for more demonite and make some armor? And what kind of structure would be good to fight him in? Does it have to be over corruption too?
You can't make Shadow Armor without scales, which you get from the Eater of Worlds, a long melee weapon is good, and that stupid bow you make with Unholy Arrows do lots of damage since those arrows pierce and can hit multiple times. A good structure to fight is a bunch of wooden platforms not too far from the ground, and you can avoid much more easily its attacks. If you have demon altar near that you haven't used, you can summon the eater of world near your house.

Wired

Forkball said:
This game really needs a bigger inventory. There are so many cool and useful items, the amount of space they give you is simply not enough.

The added ammo slots in 1.0.6 should help for those who use it... I don't Should be possible to fina a backpack or stuff like that... just another 5-10 slots would help a lot.

Wired said:
The added ammo slots in 1.0.6 should help for those who use it... I don't Should be possible to fina a backpack or stuff like that... just another 5-10 slots would help a lot.

Anything to help inventory. Maybe even a "do not pick up list". Where you could add 5-10 items that your character would just pass.

I need to start building more in Terraria.. I have a small base and an obsidian generator under it but I mostly just mine and explore. I was kind of put off by the building at first but it isn't too bad now.

Also, I found a jungle above ground on a new world I just created. I didn't know that was possible?

Retro

Piercedveil said:
Also, I found a jungle above ground on a new world I just created. I didn't know that was possible?

Was added in the last patch. That's why HaRyu has been holding off on the GAF server, we're waiting for the reboot in case they add something new.

Retro said:
Was added in the last patch. That's why HaRyu has been holding off on the GAF server, we're waiting for the reboot in case they add something new.

Makes sense. I was pretty surprised to see it. I haven't been keeping up with the patches too well lol.

Retro

Piercedveil said:
Makes sense. I was pretty surprised to see it. I haven't been keeping up with the patches too well lol.

I envy you. I've just about broken my F5 key waiting for 1.0.6 to drop. Tiy (one of the developers) apparently said it won't be today on their IRC channel... probably later in the week. I hope.

Retro said:
I envy you. I've just about broken my F5 key waiting for 1.0.6 to drop. Tiy (one of the developers) apparently said it won't be today on their IRC channel... probably later in the week. I hope.

Oh wow, I didn't realize 1.0.6 would be so soon. I quit for a while and am just finding out about the 1.0.5 stuff still. But more to do is always a good thing for me.

Do the developers have a Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom