• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
PigSpeakers said:
Someone flooded the tutorial area with lava? I was wondering why when I came in for the first time I spawned in lava.

I make backups of the server every couple of hours, so that sort of thing was easy to fix. Someone also bombed the tower, and I'm assuming it was the same guy. That's been fixed too.

Retro

HaRyu said:
I make backups of the server every couple of hours, so that sort of thing was easy to fix. Someone also bombed the tower, and I'm assuming it was the same guy. That's been fixed too.

I think what happened is, someone bombed the tower and the lava ran down into the tutorial area. Then the assclown dug around and set up barriers so it would pool directly under the spawn point.

Wired

Had a pretty good run today, a bunch of us fought 15 Eyes of Cthulhu and 6 Eater of Worlds. Not to mention that one battle with all the bosses at the same time, which was pretty epic. And then I had the luck of getting another pair of rocket boots which I gave away so yeah.

parasight

Built a few arenas (Spikey Lava, Jungle Dome, Aquarium) to PVP in and let me tell you, I really underestimated how fun the PVP is in this game. I spent around 100 hours playing co-op with friends and we never really bothered to fight, but with the right set of rules it can be loads of fun. One rule that I think is necessary to enjoy PVP is NO COBALT SHIELD. The fights are just too stale when using it. Without it, it allows for people to fall in lava, bump into spikes, etc. Then you can make weapon-specific matches (really enjoy Vilethorn matches).

But probably my favorite and funniest is a Spiky Balls match. They don't do much damage but when you build an arena with small platforms and decent height, everyone races to the top so they can rain down a barrage of spiky balls, making it difficult for everyone below them to climb up.

I'll post some screenshots of our arenas when I get around to it. Thinking about rebuilding MK Town from our old Minecraft server; a bunch of Mortal Kombat inspired PVP levels.

I can't wait till they add more PVP-dedicated modes like CTF.

Grinchy

Banned
Gully State said:
I could've sworn the wiki said having two types of walls was OK. And neither of the bricks are dungeon walls. I guess I'll have to dismantle and repaint.
I've noticed that walls were an issue for me when using a bed for a new spawn point. If I were you, I'd just fill in the wall completely, set your spawn point, then tear the section of wall down and make it the way you want it. The spawn point should stay.

Also, WTF is with griefing? I've never even tried playing this game online but I don't understand what people get out of that. Hopefully, if it doesn't exist already, someone will make a mod so that every item placed will show who placed it. Then if something gets griefed, you know who did it.

ASilva

Neo Member
Is anyone up for a Terraria 4-pack? I already have the game but i would like to gift it to 2 of my friends. I'm willing to pay for 3 of the 4 games in the pack (just give the extra copy for free to the host). Need a host from the US, i can paypal

Wired

Grinchy said:
Also, WTF is with griefing? I've never even tried playing this game online but I don't understand what people get out of that. Hopefully, if it doesn't exist already, someone will make a mod so that every item placed will show who placed it. Then if something gets griefed, you know who did it.

Don't really get it either, sure it's fun joking with people but the worst I've done is bricking someone in and surrounding them with lava. Which is extremely harmless since you can either just mirror out or fill it up with some blocks. Oh and I also built a giant wee-wee out of dirt which I filled with lava, yes somewhat immature but hey I was VERY tired and somewhat high. sue me. But going all out and destroying stuff, yeah I don't get it.

webrunner

Grinchy said:
I've noticed that walls were an issue for me when using a bed for a new spawn point. If I were you, I'd just fill in the wall completely, set your spawn point, then tear the section of wall down and make it the way you want it. The spawn point should stay.

Basically this:
boy_kicking_sand_castle_postcard-p239296789346901647qibm_400.jpg

Retro

Wired said:
Oh and I also built a giant wee-wee out of dirt which I filled with lava, yes somewhat immature but hey I was VERY tired and somewhat high. sue me. But going all out and destroying stuff, yeah I don't get it.

Yeah, that was where my home tower is now. Took 2 seconds to fill it with sand and dynamite it away. It was worth the chuckle.

THAT sort of thing is fine. Logging on and chucking dynamite into peoples' projects is retarded.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
And then all of a sudden, the stupid anti-grief protection decides to start working today, of all days.

Aterra! You can come back now.

To those who will probably get nailed but the anti-grief protection, please let me know, so I can unban you. I'm tweaking the stupid settings so it wont be that bad, and I'd prefer to ban people manually, that letting the server do it automatically.

EDIT: Probably best to PM me, or contact me via Steam. Also, let me know what you were doing at the time when the ban kicked in, because it helps me figure out what the stupid bugs are.

Fewr

Grinchy said:

ne875i.gif

While trashing some of my inventory into a lava pit, I accidentally pressed Q while holding my Nightmare Pickaxe. Luckily I just made a Molten Pickaxe, but I don't like it as much.

VandalD

HaRyu said:
Aterra! You can come back now.

Thanks again for that! I was in the process of typing up a reply about getting banned for "abuse of .." some kind of blocks when I decided to just try to log back in. Nice server you guys have going. Cool stuff to see. Will have to try to get in when the next game update rolls around.

Quote said:
While trashing some of my inventory into a lava pit, I accidentally pressed Q while holding my Nightmare Pickaxe. Luckily I just made a Molten Pickaxe, but I don't like it as much.

I feel the same. If only the molten pickaxe were a bit faster.

The Molten Pickaxe breaks everything in one hit (except Meteorite, Hellstone, and Ebonstone which take two hits) while the Nightmare Pickaxe takes two hits to break everything except dirt, sand, clay, and mud which it still breaks in one hit... it swings faster but not double the speed. So Nightmare's faster for breaking through dirt, mud, sand, and clay but slower for everything else... especially meteorite, hellstone, and ebonstone.

The Molten Pickaxe gives off light when you swing it to, which is a big advantage if you don't want to waste inventory with a stupid light orb or a bunch of shine potions... even more-so if you don't wear Molten Armor or wear vanity items over it.

Hey guys, I have some MP issues. Basically, I've never been able to play online. Both my friend's and my attempts to hop onto each other's games end up with a "connecting" message that keeps going forever.

Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance.

demolitio

Good to hear there's a system in place for griefing though. Every time I hop on the server, it seems like a new chunk is taken out of the apartment complex area. I did have to laugh at the one sign that mentioned not taking the bed and someone added a footnote that said they took the bed anyway. I don't know if it was griefing or just a silly joke since the materials are easy to get, but that made me chuckle a little bit and also fear building anything myself since I know my luck and how it'd be first to be completely blown up...haha

I'd just like to say thanks for all those who helped me in this game and I made sure to pay it forward with someone new to the server by giving them some decent gear that'd help them survive the beginning. I thought it'd be better than selling the stuff for the shitty prices the merchant gives you. :p

Pay it forward!

elfinke

demosthenes said:
Got playing this game way too late @.@....

Soloed Skeletron though :D
Skeletron actually gave me the least amount of grief out of the big tree bosses. Cthulhu destroyed me a number of times before I was geared enough to actually take him down. EoW was similar in that regard. But by the time I got around to Skeletron I whooped him without breaking a sweat. Still a cool boss fight though :D

demolitio

So what type of boss battles would you guys want to see in the game in the future? I think a boss battle in the ocean would be cool like a giant squid or something even though I have a fear of all things deep ocean, especially sharks...lol

Some Egyptian style boss in the desert would be cool like a jackal or sphinx, etc.

Mandoric

Banned
demolitio said:
So what type of boss battles would you guys want to see in the game in the future? I think a boss battle in the ocean would be cool like a giant squid or something even though I have a fear of all things deep ocean, especially sharks...lol

Some Egyptian style boss in the desert would be cool like a jackal or sphinx, etc.

I'd love to see a devourer of worlds who actually devoured blocks, or King Lava Slime (quickly, before they patch the lave out!)

Less masochistically, a queen harpy or meteor-related ufo, a tower-sized golem you need to climb the insides of, or a goblin variant that brought picks would all be interesting.

Edit: Also: Mimics.

Soule

Houston3000 said:
The Molten Pickaxe breaks everything in one hit (except Meteorite, Hellstone, and Ebonstone which take two hits)
Don't know about dungeon blocks pretty sure that's not one hit, or maybe it just feels longer cause it's' so boring farming it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
demosthenes said:
Does it give you a msg if you're banned? I can't get on D:

Yes it would give a message.
Based on the time of your post, the server was actually shutdown at the time. Server is back up and running now.

BTW, concerning the accidental bannings: the message in question is Kill Tile Abuse, and this occurs if you attempted to destroy 20 blocks in under 1/60th a second.
There is apparently a glitch in the game where if you're lagging a lot, the Kill Tile Abuse ban kicks in automatically.

Finally, considering the number of PMs I've gotten...
-Only one person has been banned, and no, I'm not providing a name, and to the 2 or 3 of you who know w/c person I banned, don't reveal his name. If he needs to appeal his ban, he'll have to contact me via PM or through Steam (steam id: Harlan Ryudo)
-Anyone who was accidentally banned, that all occurred yesterday, there were only two of them, and they've been unbanned.
-No one else has been banned, all of you are fine (except for the one guy who was banned).
-Server mod software was installed yesterday, giving me greater powers. It also gives me a stupid log that actually lets me see what times everyone has been on (the vanilla flavored server software doesnt do this, w/c was getting annoying)
-The accidental bannings MAY be related to the server mod. I'm not sure. I know that anti-grief protection was in the vanilla server software too, and I know there's been complaints about the anti-grief protection kicking in. It could just be really bad timing that it occurring all of a sudden.
-I would prefer banning people manually, and not letting the server software decide.

As for what's my criteria for banning someone? As of right now, the only two big rules are:
1. Don't mess w/ other people's structures.
2. Don't flood the surface world.

atre324

Soule said:
Don't know about dungeon blocks pretty sure that's not one hit, or maybe it just feels longer cause it's' so boring farming it.

Dungeon Blocks take 2 hits to remove with a molten pickaxe if they're near the dungeon, but once you place them in the center 1/3rd of the map they can be removed in 1 hit

Soule

atre324 said:
Dungeon Blocks take 2 hits to remove with a molten pickaxe if they're near the dungeon, but once you place them in the center 1/3rd of the map they can be removed in 1 hit
That I did not know, so awesome.

Sophia

eggybob said:
I joined and that kicked off. It was awesome. They went down pretty quick though.

Yeah, I'm surprised. I figured Skeletron would last for longer, but he was one of the first dead.

I have however been dully informed by the Server Admin Boss God Harlan that we can summon multiple Eaters of World. :eek:

Retro

demolitio said:
So what type of boss battles would you guys want to see in the game in the future?

A Chinese-style dragon that shows up after you've cleared all the sky islands and have a grappling hook. He stays well above the ground and players have to hook on and ride on him while trying to attack his head. All the while he twists, turns and loops to try to throw the player off.

I'd like to see a boss that randomly appears from random meteor strikes (ala The Blob or Ghidrah); like a 5% chance each strike (which is like a 2% chance per day). You'd get to the meteor and out of the center would spawn some kind of awesome space boss.

Hell also needs a proper boss too. In fact, I would love it if they added sub bosses that just hang out in the dirt until you find them. So you'd be digging along and all of a sudden unearth some kind of ancient evil that's been asleep for ages.

Also, I want dinosaur fossils so I can collect the pieces and make a museum.

Ultratech

I see now...this explains why I couldn't lay down Spikes on my Tower anymore, since I was getting a message saying I didn't have permission to do so.

Retro said:
I'd like to see a boss that randomly appears from random meteor strikes (ala The Blob or Ghidrah); like a 5% chance each strike (which is like a 2% chance per day). You'd get to the meteor and out of the center would spawn some kind of awesome space boss.

Hell also needs a proper boss too. In fact, I would love it if they added sub bosses that just hang out in the dirt until you find them. So you'd be digging along and all of a sudden unearth some kind of ancient evil that's been asleep for ages.

Also, I want dinosaur fossils so I can collect the pieces and make a museum.

So... an alien boss, Satan or Uber Bone Dragon, or some giant Skeleton-type T-Rex?

Darklord

Banned
Grinchy said:

It can be funny when done right. Like when Jeff from Giantbomb decided to fill his friends castle with lava. Going in and fucking shit up constantly is just annoying though.

Retro

Ultratech said:
So... an alien boss, Satan or Uber Bone Dragon, or some giant Skeleton-type T-Rex?

For me, a meteor boss would have to be a Ghidrah-inspired monster; some kind of multi-headed dragon. Maybe he just flies around near the meteor and shoots lightning down at you. That'd be a great way to introduce electrical based weapons too.

Hell boss should be some kind of king fire imp decked out in Bone Dragon armor.

And the hidden underground bosses should be like larva or something, some kind of nasty bug.

Fitz

Cthulu needs to be added, the whole thing sans one eye, and it should be on a new, deeper tier and he should be insanely hard to take down. It would be a multi phase fight, starting off you fight a bunch of tentacles in the new cavernous area. The second phase would be a transitional phase where he slowly climbs through the earth up to the surface giving you a chance to take his health down more easily, but he spawns lots of creatures/tentacles to try and defend himself. Then the last phase he is flying around in the sky bombarding you with attacks and calling down small meteors on your position thus slowly wrecking the battlefield around you.
That's what I'd like to see.

Would like to see the Ocean expanded too. Like a underwater dungeon (Atlantis), new enemies and an underwater boss. Of course, giving us an item that lets us breathe in the water as rare drop or in a golden chest in the underwater temple.

atre324

Retro said:
For me, a meteor boss would have to be a Ghidrah-inspired monster; some kind of multi-headed dragon. Maybe he just flies around near the meteor and shoots lightning down at you. That'd be a great way to introduce electrical based weapons too.

Hell boss should be some kind of king fire imp decked out in Bone Dragon armor.

And the hidden underground bosses should be like larva or something, some kind of nasty bug.

I bet they'll add something like an alien boss when they add (supposedly) the whole alien world idea in. Something like, a random world event (like goblin invasions) can cause you to get "abducted" and you then have to fight a UFO in order to get back. Once you beat the UFO you can warp back and forth to the alien world and pillage at your leisure lol. Man, that'd rule

Retro

Sgt.Pepper said:
Would like to see the Ocean expanded too. Like a underwater dungeon (Atlantis), new enemies and an underwater boss. Of course, giving us an item that lets us breathe in the water as rare drop or in a golden chest in the underwater temple.

There's diving helms, those aren't permanent underwater breathing, but it certain helps. Between that and a Gills potion, I think that should be enough. I don't like the idea of completely invalidating water as a potential danger.

atre324 said:
I bet they'll add something like an alien boss when they add (supposedly) the whole alien world idea in. Something like, a random world event (like goblin invasions) can cause you to get "abducted" and you then have to fight a UFO in order to get back. Once you beat the UFO you can warp back and forth to the alien world and pillage at your leisure lol. Man, that'd rule

Yeah, it would. Maybe the meteor-monster is a precursor to an alien invasion (they send their big space monster down to wreck things, then invade once the monster has leveled things. That was the plan in the Godzilla movies with Ghidrah, after all.

Sarcasm said:
Did you guys hear about the Terraria clone?

It seems to me there's an awful lot of 2-D digging games starting to crop up now. There's at least two at an indie game development forum I go to right now. Apparently Terraria is the new Cave Story; an indie dev makes an awesome game and suddenly everybody starts to clone it. It's just like the major games industry, but most don't even pretend they're working on something original when it clearly isn't... dunno if that's honesty or laziness, or which group of developers I should scorn more.

atre324

Retro said:
It seems to me there's an awful lot of 2-D digging games starting to crop up now. There's at least two at an indie game development forum I go to right now. Apparently Terraria is the new Cave Story; an indie dev makes an awesome game and suddenly everybody starts to clone it. It's just like the major games industry, but most don't even pretend they're working on something original when it clearly isn't... dunno if that's honesty or laziness, or which group of developers I should scorn more.

Out of curiosity, what are their names? I gotta admit I am a little excited for Junk Jack on ipad, so I can take my building/exploring desire to go, but I don't know if I can sink tons of hours into any clones

Retro

atre324 said:
Out of curiosity, what are their names? I gotta admit I am a little excited for Junk Jack on ipad, so I can take my building/exploring desire to go, but I don't know if I can sink tons of hours into any clones

I know one of them is called Dungoneer, which is trying to pretend it's not Terraria by putting more emphasis on multiple dungeons (but it still has the whole digging and building elements).

I forget the other one, I'd have to dig through tons of devlog threads to find it. Neither is in very good shape compared to Terraria, but it's the principle of the thing. Indie games are supposed to be more creative, but lately it seems like everyone just wants to grab ahold of whatever is the current indie blockbuster and ride it as long as they can.

Retro

Wired said:
I wish more people were playing this, at least in MP. It's a hundred more times that way, at the very least.

I've been busy the last few days, but I've managed to build a tower and lava-desert. I'm eating at the moment, but after that I'll be gathering materials on a fodder world to come build a big Colosseum for PVP. Not sure where on the MP world I'm gonna stick it, but I'll find somewhere.

Wired

Retro said:
I've been busy the last few days, but I've managed to build a tower and lava-desert. I'm eating at the moment, but after that I'll be gathering materials on a fodder world to come build a big Colosseum for PVP. Not sure where on the MP world I'm gonna stick it, but I'll find somewhere.

Sweet I can help, I've saved every single bit of material I've ever found in my SP world so I could bring a lot of shit if you have a list or something

Wired

tangmaster96 said:
Is terraria better than the original minecraft

Kind of hard to compare them really. I mean sure you can build stuff, of blocks in both of them but Terraria is more of a "game". There's a bunch of weapons and accessories that can't be crafted only found in chests or loot drops. There's bosses and so on.

Mdeezy

Ive put 54 hours into this game and I still havent really done anything lol. I only have iron armor and an iron sword. I have 7 chests full of different items but I really have no idea if I should just keep digging straight down or all over the place like I have been to find better items

Sophia

tangmaster96 said:
Is terraria better than the original minecraft

If you're looking to build stuff, maybe, maybe not.

If you're looking for an excellent adventure game with minecraft-style building? Absolutely.

Mdeezy said:
Ive put 54 hours into this game and I still havent really done anything lol. I only have iron armor and an iron sword. I have 7 chests full of different items but I really have no idea if I should just keep digging straight down or all over the place like I have been to find better items

Holy crap? What are you doing? I've got 51 hours played, and roughly 20 of that was spent on other worlds/toons, and my character has full Shadow armor.

Dig downward, start finding gold ore for armor, build up your stuff, save ranged weapons, increase your life. And save everything you can. You never know when you'll need it.

Eventually you'll want to fight the bosses once you have 200+ HP, full gold armor, and the ranged weapons and items to support you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom