• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdeezy

Marrshu said:
If you're looking to build stuff, maybe, maybe not.

If you're looking for an excellent adventure game with minecraft-style building? Absolutely.

Holy crap? What are you doing? I've got 51 hours played, and roughly 20 of that was spent on other worlds/toons, and my character has full Shadow armor.

Dig downward, start finding gold ore for armor, build up your stuff, save ranged weapons, increase your life. And save everything you can. You never know when you'll need it.

Eventually you'll want to fight the bosses once you have 200+ HP, full gold armor, and the ranged weapons and items to support you.

Well mostly I sometimes leave the game running while I go do other things to be honest lol. I have two rows of hearts, about 8 slots of mana, and I have about 25 gold bars. I just made a gold pickaxe so I can dig faster.

Sophia

Mdeezy said:
Well mostly I sometimes leave the game running while I go do other things to be honest lol. I have two rows of hearts, about 8 slots of mana, and I have about 25 gold bars. I just made a gold pickaxe so I can dig faster.

Should work on getting all gold armor first. The Pickaxe can wait til later, but the armor is pretty much essential to fighting bosses and exploring the more dangerous areas.

Wired

lol, just lived through a Goblin invasion on the server where I got not one but TWO pairs of Rocket Boots. Didn't even know it was possible to get more than one per invasion.

Wired said:
Kind of hard to compare them really. I mean sure you can build stuff, of blocks in both of them but Terraria is more of a "game". There's a bunch of weapons and accessories that can't be crafted only found in chests or loot drops. There's bosses and so on.

Terraria is definitely great. I'd love to see Minecraft (or a new game) enhanced to the level of Terraria in the 3D space. Would be the game of forever. The only thing that Terraria is really missing for me right now would be mechanisms - ways to enact logic like buttons, elevators, etc. That would significantly open up the game.

Wired

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Terraria is definitely great. I'd love to see Minecraft (or a new game) enhanced to the level of Terraria in the 3D space. Would be the game of forever. The only thing that Terraria is really missing for me right now would be mechanisms - ways to enact logic like buttons, elevators, etc. That would significantly open up the game.

Agreed, would love to see that

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
The GAF server banned me for throwing an explosive device? We were going to farm the bone serpent for Sunfury(s). =/

FFFF.

Stupid anti-grief protection. Thought I turned that off. Ricey, Wired and Pepper were banned because of that, you've been unbanned.

HaRyu said:
FFFF.

Stupid anti-grief protection. Thought I turned that off. Ricey, Wired and Pepper were banned because of that, you've been unbanned.

Can you make it so that it only bans you if you are above a certain depth level?

HaRyu said:
FFFF.

Does your anti-grief have a white list?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Quote said:
Does your anti-grief have a white list?

There's a white list option yes. I can also set it up where only certain people are allowed to do certain things (allowed to build, allowed to use explosives, allowed to use certain items).

I haven't done so yet because of several things:

1. Players would have to "register" for the server. This might be considered annoying, but if the majority feels that this is necessary, then we'll do it. Note that this doesn't mean that you have to be registered to be ON the server, it just means that you have to be registered to receive the permissions to do certain things (like build, use explosives, etc)

2. I'm still learning how to use the server mod.

3. There is no three.

More of a majority rules thing, so if you guys want it, let me know.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Was just about to post this..simple machines would really enhance the game.

Is there a way to take a specific number a certain item? Like I have 10 glow sticks but I want to grab only 3?

Also, I wish if there was a trap door or an inclined surface. It would make my castle look so much better.

duckroll

Like2Drive said:
Is there a way to take a specific number a certain item? Like I have 10 glow sticks but I want to grab only 3?

Also, I wish if there was a trap door or an inclined surface. It would make my castle look so much better.

Yes, right click on the item in the inventory. Each right-click selects 1 of that item.

Lumine

Like2Drive said:

Right mouse click.

Like2Drive said:

You can use wooden platforms, but that's probably not what you meant. A proper trapdoor would nice yes.

Mergesort

I bought terraria during the summer camp sales for like 2.50 and played it for some minutes and realy didn't like it! But a friend kept playing it for days, so i gave it a second try. Now i am 64 hours in to the game and can't really stop, it's just too addictive.
I also have all kind of items and weapons and farms. What i need now is new content, more bosses, more weapons, more mobs and items and new areas.
Holy fuck who played it for less than 5 hours and stoped playing it is stupid(imo), just like i was :)

mns-dna said:
What i need now is new content, more bosses, more weapons, more mobs and items and new areas.
Holy fuck who played it for less than 5 hours and stoped playing it is stupid(imo), just like i was :)

While I can't wait for the update, I started a new character and world in the meantime. So addicting all over again. I have to restrain myself playing through it now though since I'm kinda doing a LP with a friend on it.

kazinova

Grimm Fandango said:
While I can't wait for the update, I started a new character and world in the meantime. So addicting all over again. I have to restrain myself playing through it now though since I'm kinda doing a LP with a friend on it.
Anyone have any clue on when that update is coming?

webrunner

Man, I wish phaseblades were better. I'm tricked out in Jungle stuff and I only just got enough meteorite to make a phaseblade only to find out it's inferior to the Staff of Regrowth.

I wish you could make a Nightmare Pickaxe without scales.

Retro

kazinova said:
Anyone have any clue on when that update is coming?

Tiy said:
1.0.6 will probably be here some time next month. The reason it's taking longer is simply due to the fact that were trying to implement something difficult. Were not announcing what it is because 1) it's not hugely exciting and 2) it might not make it. That said it is an important feature and we felt now was the time to try.

Hope springs eternal that they mean next monday. No idea what the 'not hugely exciting' feature might be, but I was thinking today that maybe it's better server control. For example, Harlan is using a third party program to try and prevent people from vandalizing and abusing the server; perhaps they're integrating that as a built-in feature. Blizzard LOVED to do that; take an essential addon and make it a built-in feature and pretend they were planning it all along.

Retro said:
Is that the GAF server? It's always just a little hard to tell from the screenshot, but I'm pretty sure that's too little.
Nah, that's my world. Figured that was the case, they were taking too much to bloom.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Nah, that's my world. Figured that was the case, they were taking too much to bloom.

When I found a Fireblossom in Hell, it only needed one scoop of lava to bloom it. I surrounded the plant with blocks so the lava didn't move.

Retro

Baby Milo said:
i finally caved and jumped in today

Been nice knowing you, be sure to tell your loved ones goodbye. =)

demosthenes said:
Sofa and I can't get on.

Yeah, I was worried something was screwed up when I switched to Fios, but it seems like it's everyone, not just me.

Retro

Baby Milo said:
hah

i see people talking about bannings is there a ruleset or instructions to how people should generally play?

Nah, that only applies to the GAF server. Harlan (who runs it) has been trying out some third-party moderating software to prevent vandalism. We've had a couple occasions where someone will log in and start destroying stuff just to be a dick. He just installed it yesterday and is still working the kinks out, but in general nobody should be getting any kind of ban unless they're up to no good.

If you do happen to get banned, post here and somebody will fix it ASAP.

But that only applies to Multiplayer on the GAF server. Single player, go ahead and dynamite anything and everything to your heart's desire.

elwes

I'm sure everybody knows this already (I just figured this out a few days ago), but you can left and right click when crafting a bunch of items at once. Makes crafting stacks of things go a lot faster.

What do you guys do when you've collected tons of materials and have all of the weapons/armor/items that you want from a world? My first world is decked out with all NPC's and all accommodations, but I kind of wanted to redo my living arrangements, as well as the living arrangements for the NPC's. Is it easier to just make a new world and use my first world as a piggy bank? How hard is it to get the NPC's to switch rooms?

Sophia

Retro said:
Nah, that only applies to the GAF server. Harlan (who runs it) has been trying out some third-party moderating software to prevent vandalism. We've had a couple occasions where someone will log in and start destroying stuff just to be a dick. He just installed it yesterday and is still working the kinks out, but in general nobody should be getting any kind of ban unless they're up to no good.

If you do happen to get banned, post here and somebody will fix it ASAP.

But that only applies to Multiplayer on the GAF server. Single player, go ahead and dynamite anything and everything to your heart's desire.

Yeah, we don't want any assholes blowing up the GAF tower anymore. At least the damage was minimal... >.>

elwes said:
What do you guys do when you've collected tons of materials and have all of the weapons/armor/items that you want from a world?

Build crazy shit. Like for example, make a Castle... of gold... in the sky. =P

elwes said:
I'm sure everybody knows this already (I just figured this out a few days ago), but you can left and right click when crafting a bunch of items at once. Makes crafting stacks of things go a lot faster.

What do you guys do when you've collected tons of materials and have all of the weapons/armor/items that you want from a world? My first world is decked out with all NPC's and all accommodations, but I kind of wanted to redo my living arrangements, as well as the living arrangements for the NPC's. Is it easier to just make a new world and use my first world as a piggy bank? How hard is it to get the NPC's to switch rooms?

Since I got nearly everything I want from my world and character, I hang around the GAF server doing random stuff with people.

Making a new world and character also brought me back in again.

Retro said:
Been nice knowing you, be sure to tell your loved ones goodbye. =)

Yeah, I was worried something was screwed up when I switched to Fios, but it seems like it's everyone, not just me.
Oh god it's happened: everyone was banned.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yea, I just posted in the group page on Steam and I couldn't sign in this morning and now about 5 minutes ago was denied.

Retro

elwes said:

When I was at a point where I felt like I had found and done everything, I decided to make a 'storage world' for all of my goodies. I decided I want to organize things based around NPCs (plants and alchemy with the dryad, healing items with the Nurse, costumes with the clothier, etc...), so instead of the utilitarian NPC-apartment complex, I gave each their own elaborate building to hang out in with plenty of room for chests.

After that I decided it was alright if I went ahead and checked out the Wiki (which I had only used when stuck in the past), which gave me a lot of additional things to track down that I never knew about before.

Once I had one of every item in the game, I started hanging out on the GAF servers and building stuff there.

I was going to start a new character to experience the game new again when 1.0.6 came out, but since the GAF server was down and I wanted to play, I went ahead and did it tonight. It's been a blast and I find that even on my second time through, I'm not rushing or finding the exploration /digging to be tedious.

So... I guess the Terraria cycle is; Start > Learn > Collect > Build > Multiplayer, with each patch basically kicking you back to the "learn" phase and plenty of visits to the multiplayer server for shits and giggles. Once PVP is a bit better, it might be a blast to screw around in CTF mode or something.

... which reminds me, I still wanted to build a big Colosseum on GAF server tonight... but it looks like Harlan's internet is down or something.

Edit: Completely glossed over your questions:

1. I create a new world for my "Storage World" because I wanted to build a village and do major terraforming (like flooding a chunk of my map to expand the ocean). If you want to use your first world, that's probably easier.

2. Just kill off an NPC (Box em in and feed em lava) and make sure there aren't any rooms that meet all the requirements except the one room you want them to move into. That should work just fine, then.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, this game.

It has so many elements that normally completely turn me off a game. Obnoxious fonts, a terrible UI, bad sound, repetitive music and poor graphics (the pixel art isn't charming or detailed), but somehow, it keeps me addicted. I've put some twenty hours into it (since Saturday - that's a lot of gametime over the weekend), and I don't see anything stopping soon.

Lyphen said:
Man, this game.

It has so many elements that normally completely turn me off a game. Obnoxious fonts, a terrible UI, bad sound, repetitive music and poor graphics (the pixel art isn't charming or detailed), but somehow, it keeps me addicted. I've put some twenty hours into it (since Saturday - that's a lot of gametime over the weekend), and I don't see anything stopping soon.

I was just like you a week or two ago. I bought the game at launch with a friend but we couldn't get a server figured out until a little bit ago. I think we're at 40 hours now and sadly it's dying down. We went from playing multiple hours a day to barely staying in for one. Once we killed all the bosses multiple times, got the best gear, and most of the best weapons there just isn't much to do.

We did start PVPing inside our big giant castle which was fun. It was cool setting off dynamite and making holes. Looked like a war went through. Weapon spoilers...
Then we built little race tracks for the weapons that you control with a mouse.
That brought us back into playing again for awhile.

webrunner

Does anyone know why this doesn't work:

AuTcH.jpg

Do beds not work once you get to the lava layer or something? I know they dont work in the Jungle and Corruption but every underground bed so far has worked except for this one.

VGChampion said:
I was just like you a week or two ago. I bought the game at launch with a friend but we couldn't get a server figured out until a little bit ago. I think we're at 40 hours now and sadly it's dying down. We went from playing multiple hours a day to barely staying in for one. Once we killed all the bosses multiple times, got the best gear, and most of the best weapons there just isn't much to do.

We did start PVPing inside our big giant castle which was fun. It was cool setting off dynamite and making holes. Looked like a war went through. Weapon spoilers...
Then we built little race tracks for the weapons that you control with a mouse.
That brought us back into playing again for awhile.

It's funny how sad people are with this story. "I paid $10 and i only got 40 hours out of it :("

duckroll

That bed doesn't work because your walls are not complete. When you are laying background walls, it is not considered a legit room as long as there are holes. You have to keep tiling the walls until you are unable to tile any more on a given area/spot. I can see lots of seams in your walls, so that's not a legit room.

Retro

webrunner said:
Does anyone know why this doesn't work:

See the little lines in your background wall? Those are considered gaps by the game, which technically makes your room incomplete and unable to be used as a safe house. Once you fill in those little gaps it should work fine.

And they are working on making backgrounds easier to manage, I think in the next patch too.

webrunner

Retro said:
See the little lines in your background wall? Those are considered gaps by the game, which technically makes your room incomplete and unable to be used as a safe house. Once you fill in those little gaps it should work fine.

And they are working on making backgrounds easier to manage, I think in the next patch too.

It's worked fine every other time i've done it like that.. strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom