• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinAmano

So a buddy of mine gave me this as a gift. I have played about 10 or so hours and I now have:
-Gold weapons and Helmet
-Silver Armor and Grieves
-12 or so hearts and 4 Mana Stars

And basically nothing else. I get destroyed anytime a big monster comes out.

What should I do to get better weapons/Items?

Thanks.

Ultratech

ShinAmano said:
So a buddy of mine gave me this as a gift. I have played about 10 or so hours and I now have:
-Gold weapons and Helmet

Thanks.

I'll just post this:

This is pretty much the most standard progression of the game (read below though):

1) Dig and find ore; Copper, Iron, Silver, then Gold and construct each armor/weapon as you have enough
2) When you have Gold armor kill Eye of Cthulhu
3) Use dropped Demonite to create a Demonite Weapon for yourself
4) Buy Purification Powder from your new Dryad or stock up on Dynamite
5) Venture into the Corruption
6) Descend into the chasms and, using the Powder or the Dynamite, reach and break 3 Shadow Orbs - this will summon EoW
6B) Alternatively, collect Rotten Chunks and Vile Mushrooms, create Vile Powder and then, at a demon alter, craft Worm Food to summon EoW
7) Destroy the Eater of Worlds
8) Use Demonite and Shadow Scales to craft a Nightmare Pickaxe, and as much Shadowscale Armor as you can
9) Find and rummage through your Underground Jungle
10) Find and pillage your Floating Islands
11) Summon Skeletron at the Dungeon and defeat him
12) Pillage the Dungeon for all the phat loot (don't forget to steal the books, candles, lanterns, and spikes either)
13) Start collecting Obsidian and craft yourself an Obsidian Skull
14) Descend into the Underworld and collect Hellstone
15) Craft Molten Armor and the various crafted Molten Gear and collect the drops

There are Goblin Invasions and Meteorites to collect as well but since those are almost completely random there's really no way to fit them in.

If you're just getting gold armor you're literally at the very beginning. That being said the whole thing can be mixed up quite a bit. It's best to look at the Underworld, the Underground Jungle, and the Dungeon as all the same tier - it doesn't really matter what order you go to them. Basically, the only true straight line progression is that you need to face the Corruption and EoC/EoW to get a Nightmare Pickaxe before you can go to the Underworld and collect Hellstone.

Basically, either attempt to kill the bosses for better stuff or heads towards the jungle and grind for materials there. Dungeon's got some nice stuff, but you gotta beat Skeletron before even wandering in there unless you wanna get insta-killed.

webrunner

Ultratech said:
I'll just post this:

Basically, either attempt to kill the bosses for better stuff or heads towards the jungle and grind for materials there. Dungeon's got some nice stuff, but you gotta beat Skeletron before even wandering in there unless you wanna get insta-killed.

Just a note about:

You can do this a LOT earlier if you're good at not dying to enemies (ie, keeping them away with knockback) and if you do you can get a chakrum, blade of grass, and jungle armor pretty easily skipping a head a bit in the progression.

I had full jungle armor and a chakrum before beating the Eye.

Somnid

webrunner said:
Just a note about:

You can do this a LOT earlier if you're good at not dying to enemies (ie, keeping them away with knockback) and if you do you can get a chakrum, blade of grass, and jungle armor pretty easily skipping a head a bit in the progression.

This. EoC was murdering me before I had some jungle gear, especially due to lack of good ranged weapons. Finding a boomerang and taking it to the jungle to kill hornets and make a chakrum really helped.

ShinAmano

Yeah I tried the Eye and it destroyed me.

I made it to the Jungle and dug around in there for a while but did not collect anything special. I have yet to find 'corruption', floating islands or the underworld. (unless teh underworld is where the lava is.)

Also I got my ass handed to me by the skeletron and the skulls on the other side of the castle.

webrunner said:
Just a note about:

Yeah, that was the the list I posted. I was basically just trying to map out the progression for new players that kept saying they got gold armor and were in a rut, didn't know how to proceed. You can realistically totally mix it up... you can kill EoW before EoC, you can do so in Silver Armor, you can collect Jungle Armor first if you think you can survive all the damn wasps in the jungle without good armor, you could get lucky and find a meteor and bore it out with dynamite early on in the game. It's all pretty open ended but you need to get that Nightmare Pickaxe eventually if you ever hope to craft any of the hellstone items.

ShinAmano said:
-Gold weapons and Helmet

Thanks.
Stow the Gold Helmet for now and craft a Silver Helmet. Equipping a Silver Helmet, Armor, and Grieves, will net you a +3 defense bonus, effectively putting your defense at the base level of the Gold Equipment set. When you get enough Gold Bars, craft and equip the Gold Armor and Grieves to get that +3 Defense set bonus.

As for better weapons, you'll need to either:
- Search the underground for chests. Spears and Enchanted Boomerangs are common finds, and they should help you keep some enemies at range.
- Smash a Shadow Orb in the Corruption, which will likely cause a meteorite to fall, and if you're lucky, drop a Ball o' Hurt flail. Then again, you usually need purification powder to deal with the Ebonstone blocking you. When you find the meteorite impact site, the Meteor Heads are plentiful and annoying, but the meteorites you can mine make it worth the risk. With meteorite bars you can easily make a Phaseblade sword or the Meteor Hamaxe.
- Explore the Underground Jungle. The enemies are tough (Might want to avoid the Man-Eaters unless you have an easy shot at them), but the Jungle Roses and Stingers can be used to create the Blade of Grass, one of the best swords in the game.
- When the GAF server comes back up, wait for a Goblin Army invasion to occur. You can snag a Harpoon from them

And remember, if the Eye of Cthulhu is summoned automatically (The message "You feel an evil presence watching you" or something like that pops up), you can cancel the summoning by using Save and Quit. It'll take you back to your spawn point, but from the sound of it, you're not quite ready for Eye of Cthulhu.

ShinAmano said:

I made it to the Jungle and dug around in there for a while but did not collect anything special. I have yet to find 'corruption', floating islands or the underworld. (unless teh underworld is where the lava is.)

Also I got my ass handed to me by the skeletron and the skulls on the other side of the castle.
You can't enter the dungeon until you beat Skeletron. If you try, a bunch of insta-death skulls appear to take care of you.

Blu10

ShinAmano said:

Corruption is the area where the sky gets dark, the ground, grass, and trees are purple, and you have these weird looking flying things attacking you. You want to go into the openings in the ground there. They are pretty deep so be careful jumping down. I threw a torch down there, waited a few seconds for it to hit the bottom and then jumped in after it. If you have cloud in a bottle you can double jump right before the end, or hook a wall with your hook shot thing.

webrunner

ShinAmano said:

For the jungle you'll need to be int he underground portion (you'll start seeing wasps, and the fly traps will be "man eater" and not "Snatcher:") - then you kill the wasps for stingers, the man eaters for vines, and look for little red flowers to get Jungle Roses.

But if you have some hearts, good armor, and a boomerang of some kind, the eye shouldnt be too hard.

(oh, if you're lucky enough to find a Gravitation Potion you can use it to find a flying island, might be something cool there too!)

Retro

demosthenes said:
GAF still down :(?

Yeah, Harlan hasn't logged into Steam in more than a day. I forget where he said he lives, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had some thunderstorms roll through and knock out his power. We had some dicey ones roll through the mid-Atlantic yesterday.

Since he's basically hosting it for free and doing a good job of maintaining it with backups and server-monitoring tools, I don't think we have room to complain if his power goes out or something. I guess just hang out on single player or try to set stuff up with friends.

Core Zero

Silver/Gold should be enough in terms of armor to bring down EoC. A couple of things to help:

-Use a long flat surface. Make one if you need to. Wood platforms are ideal because you can shoot down through them. Which leads to...

-Use shurikens. Buy a good sized stack (at least 100, more to be safe) You can pick up a good percentage up after using them, they fire fast, and they can hit multiple enemies, meaning they'll kill the mini-eyes and still hit EoC, making the first phase easier. No other ranged weapon you'd normally have at that point will do that, which makes the fight incredibly annoying. I'd use them for the whole fight, but if you have another powerful ranged weapon (shakrum, jester's arrows) you could use them for phase 2.

-Make lots of potions. It seems that right now, the game is balanced around potion-spamming when solo-fighting bosses.

-Any mobility-assisting items you can get are good to have. Hermes boots, aglet, cloud in a bottle. They will help you outmaneuver EoC on a flat surface.

This is the strat I used for the Eye the first time, I was in silver gear and had ~8 hearts.

Retro said:
See the little lines in your background wall? Those are considered gaps by the game, which technically makes your room incomplete and unable to be used as a safe house. Once you fill in those little gaps it should work fine.

And they are working on making backgrounds easier to manage, I think in the next patch too.

Actually, a room/shelter can have 4x4 gaps in the walls, and still be considered complete. As long as no one gap is bigger than that, you can have multiple "windows", as far as I know. However, in the picture webrunner posted, it looks like there's a 1x10 or so gap, so it does need to be filled in a bit. Just wanted to point out that windows are possible in NPC rooms, to add a bit of character.

Retro said:
Yeah, Harlan hasn't logged into Steam in more than a day. I forget where he said he lives, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had some thunderstorms roll through and knock out his power. We had some dicey ones roll through the mid-Atlantic yesterday.

Since he's basically hosting it for free and doing a good job of maintaining it with backups and server-monitoring tools, I don't think we have room to complain if his power goes out or something. I guess just hang out on single player or try to set stuff up with friends.

I'm not complaining...I just have so many items I want to offload elsewhere :p

Mirror's, regen rings, refresh rings, cloud bottles, obsidian skulls, 23 hearts. I was helped and now I want to do some helping!

bathala

Banned
webrunner said:
Does anyone know why this doesn't work:

AuTcH.jpg

Do beds not work once you get to the lava layer or something? I know they dont work in the Jungle and Corruption but every underground bed so far has worked except for this one.

:("
it looks like ur house walls r not completely sealed up. i can see lines of openings

Holy crap. I feel like every other night (in-game) has been a blood moon now. When I first started playing it was just every couple of nights, but now it's almost all the time. I had it when I was trying to dig up my second meteor and let me tell you, fighting a million meteor heads or whatever coming from every direction while trying to dig is NOT fun. But I managed. Also about three or four goblin invasions. And before I'd fought the eye of cthuhlu, I was getting warnings from him all the time.

Today I found out that the maps do not left to right loop :( I was kind of hoping they would and maybe they'll add that in an update sometime.

ShinAmano

Blu10 said:
Corruption is the area where the sky gets dark, the ground, grass, and trees are purple, and you have these weird looking flying things attacking you. You want to go into the openings in the ground there. They are pretty deep so be careful jumping down. I threw a torch down there, waited a few seconds for it to hit the bottom and then jumped in after it. If you have cloud in a bottle you can double jump right before the end, or hook a wall with your hook shot thing.
Yeah I found it last night. I got assaulted by about 1000 'eaters'. It was getting late so i decided to build a fort there so i could spawn, but I came up short on silk so I could not make a bed, but the house is in place. Just as i was finishing the Eye came after me so I teleported back to the main place.

I did not get anything new in terms of items outside of a feather from a harpy. I tried to build a tower to the floating islands but harpies and jungle bats would not leave me alone. That and I dont know how to make the depth meter work.

lol Blu...

webrunner

ShinAmano said:
Yeah I found it last night. I got assaulted by about 1000 'eaters'. It was getting late so i decided to build a fort there so i could spawn, but I came up short on silk so I could not make a bed, but the house is in place. Just as i was finishing the Eye came after me so I teleported back to the main place.

I did not get anything new in terms of items outside of a feather from a harpy. I tried to build a tower to the floating islands but harpies and jungle bats would not leave me alone. That and I dont know how to make the depth meter work.

lol Blu...

Put the depth meter in your accessories, then your main HUD will have a depth listing.

Same with the clocks and the time.

After being stuck around the gold teir for a while I finally made a ton of progress over the weekend. I ended up getting a full set up molten armor/molten tools and took out all three bosses. I have just started to search around the dungeon. I thought the game would sort of lose steam once I reached this point, but there is still a lot of things I want to do. Hell I spent about 2 hours just organizing all of my chests and loot.

Is there more to hell than just getting hellstone? It didn't seem like there was much to explore. Just kill what comes at you and get hellstone. If there isn't I hope they change that in an update sooner or later. Of all places hell doesn't have a boss?

Retro

RepairmanJack said:
Is there more to hell than just getting hellstone?

- Snag a Hellforge.
- Flamelash & Sunfury farming.
- Treasure chests usually have some hell-exclusive items.
- Money. Dunno if it's changed, but I used to go down there and farm imps for halfway decent currency.

Hopefully they will add more in the future as hell is a little underwhelming in terms of content and overly frustrating in terms of enemies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I'm back, server will be up in a bit. WTF did I miss, btw? Did we get a new update yet?
Long story short: Important connections were chewed, thereby severing my connection. Being w/o internet since Monday has made me go into withdrawal.

Stupid woodland creatures.

Edit: BTW, since during the downtime I was messing around w/ the configuration settings for the server mod, I'm not going to have the server mod up and running, at least not tonight. Server mod should be up and running tomorrow.

Edit #2: Oh it figures...
The IP has been changed! New IP for server:

Retro

HaRyu said:
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I'm back, server will be up in a bit. WTF did I miss, btw? Did we get a new update yet?
Long story short: Important connections were chewed, thereby severing my connection. Being w/o internet since Monday has made me go into withdrawal.

Stupid woodland creatures.

No update, not until next month at least.

Welcome back, hope whatever critter was chewing your cables choked.

Edit: More like arma-dildo, amirite?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
demosthenes said:
Just got kicked for throwing an explosive device :(

Bleh.. stupid config/permissions.

Luckily, I've set it to kicking only, not banning, you can come back on.

Edit: okay, i think i fixed the explosives problem.

Vlad

Retro said:
- Money. Dunno if it's changed, but I used to go down there and farm imps for halfway decent currency.

Speaking of which, what the heck is money good for anyway? I figured there'd be something useful and expensive eventually, but none of the NPCs seem to be offering anything really worth saving up for. If I remember correctly, the gunsmith has something super expensive, but otherwise nothing was really jumping out at me.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, to all those who're coming to the server, in preparation for the update, please register. When the new update hits, only registered players will have the ability to build/dig.

when you get on the server, type: /rules
for more info on how to register

Vlad said:
Speaking of which, what the heck is money good for anyway? I figured there'd be something useful and expensive eventually, but none of the NPCs seem to be offering anything really worth saving up for. If I remember correctly, the gunsmith has something super expensive, but otherwise nothing was really jumping out at me.

So far, only for buying items that only the NPCs sell, and quick healing from the Nurse.

Vlad said:

There needs to be a "money gun". A gun that shoots, well, money.

Retro

Built a big ass Melee PVP Colosseum just to the left of the Ebonstone Tower (so left of GAF HQ). It has stands enough for plenty of participants, though unless your resolution is really high, you'll have a shitty view from the nose-bleed seats.

I do need to add a few more spikes to finish it, but for the most part it's done. I was thinking I might toss a few chests with basic gladiatorial-themed weapons (Spears, some light armor, etc.) in the lower levels to prepare people before a fight. Might be interesting if we set up some PVP rules in advance (i.e. you can only use weapons and armor provided).

Plenty of seating for both Red and Blue team spectators, there's box seats as well if you happen to own a Gladiator or two. We'll have to keep the sand clear of cacti and vultures, though.

Vlad said:

The Arms Dealer sells a fairly expensive gun component for the Sandgun, but otherwise that's about it. Mining Helm, if you didn't save up early to buy it. I'm hoping a lot of the decor items Tiy keeps showing off on his twitter account are going to be gold sinks... I have too much money at the moment and that'd be a nice place to spend it (that, and I don't feel like hunting all over the world for cosmetic goodies).

atre324

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but there's another teaser image from Tiy on his twitter now:
xb7gJ.png

I know it's not in the next update but I really can't wait for them to drop 1.06 :(

atre324 said:
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but there's another teaser image from Tiy on his twitter now:
http://i.imgur.com/xb7gJ.png

I know it's not in the next update but I really can't wait for them to drop 1.06 :(

Really liking everything thats being shown. I'm kind of hoping some of them can be used rather than just for show. Like the vault, trash can and stuff. I still think the piano looks too small and weird compared to the rest though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, a friend just gifted me this on Steam and I'm charmed so far ^^

Just a couple of newbie/OCD things:
-How do you get rid of excess walls (background stuff that goes outside the borders of your house)?
-How do you get rid of wooden platforms?

Also, my guide got raped by zombies pretty early on... I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to a Wiki (at least at first) like Minecraft, but it looks like there's no other way for getting a basic grasp of crafting and stuff, right?

webrunner

B-Genius said:
Hey guys, a friend just gifted me this on Steam and I'm charmed so far ^^

Just a couple of newbie/OCD things:
-How do you get rid of excess walls (background stuff that goes outside the borders of your house)?
-How do you get rid of wooden platforms?

Also, my guide got raped by zombies pretty early on... I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to a Wiki (at least at first) like Minecraft, but it looks like there's no other way for getting a basic grasp of crafting and stuff, right?

Hammer.

Your guide will come back if you have a house for him.

Wired

I have various stuff that I'm willing to share with new players if they are interested. Gotta help out when you can and besides I need to clear out some crap in my storage world

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For those who might get annoyed when the IP for the server keeps changing.

Server address: gafterraria.dyndns.org

I'm not QUITE sure, but when I had it tested before, there seemed to be more lag than usual when using it? You guys are welcome to use that though. I'm not going to ask to put it in the OP until I'm sure the lag problems are minimal.

Retro

HaRyu said:
Drunk with power.

Mildly intoxicated at the most. Besides, making it rain a few hundred bunnies is hardly the worst thing I could be doing with my moderator access. Even if that's somehow considered terrible, I've also been teleport-bungie-launching people and that's been a BLAST. So there.

I mean, I could make it rain lava slimes or summon a hundred Dungeon Keepers, but I don't because I am only mildly intoxicated with power. And most of the time, there hasn't even been anyone else on I could affect... I'm mostly just trying things out.

And Bunny Rain is hilarious.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit... and I thought i fixed it.

Quote (the player named Quote), you were only kicked, not banned. Nothing to worry about!

ATTN EVERYONE ELSE: Still trying to get the explosive anti-grief thing under control. Be warned that using explosives will kick you off (but not a ban)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom