• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gully State said:
Haven't found a boomerang yet. Man I really should read up on the wiki. I feel like I'm getting unnecessarily punished for not reading it..
Nah, the enchanted boomerang is just an item you'd find in a chest - the wiki wouldn't help you there. It's not too special, it's a good weapon and it sparkles so you can throw it in the dark to help you see things. It's easier to just spam the boomerang on the wall than it is to place torches which I think was his only point.

You just need to go deeper. The lava layer will have a lot more ore and you can easily survive that with Silver armor. If you take one Blinkroot (found underground), one Moonglow (found in the jungle at night), and one single gold ore you can create a Spelunker potion. It lasts 5 minutes and will make ALL the ore, chests, and pots sparkle brightly on your screen even through walls in total darkness. If you don't know how to make potions you just need an Alchemy Station (Table with a Bottle placed on top) and a bottle of water (stand next to water with a bottle in your inventory and you can craft one) plus whatever ingredients - show the guide the bottle of water and he'll teach you them.

This was fun to build. Took so many lava trips to fill it though.

30Igm.jpg

I didn't mean it to but it looks like Krang of TMNT.

I was expecting a never ending bucket that I didn't have to keep refiling. Yeah that would have saved me time down to hell but I still would have had to fill the tanks.

Sourtreats said:
Fuck. That's an hour wasted. How do you do that?
The infinite lava trick is the equivalent of dumping half a bucket of lava per click (at least unless u build an elaborate generator)... and you can't click more than like once per second or it screws up. Still would have taken awhile to fill that much up.

Enco

1.0.6 will probably be here some time next month. The reason it's taking longer is simply due to the fact that were trying to implement something difficult. Were not announcing what it is because 1) it's not hugely exciting and 2) it might not make it. That said it is an important feature and we felt now was the time to try.
Source

That sucks. Hopefully the new feature does come out and hopefully it's awesome.

Enco said:
Source

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it's a selective looting feature. Although I don't see why that would be difficult to implement so I doubt that is what it is.

Enco

glaringradio said:
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it's a selective looting feature. Although I don't see why that would be difficult to implement so I doubt that is what it is.
That would be amazing. No more stupid mud, rotten chunks, gel, sand etc.

The capture the flag mp they talked about would be great too.

I'm guessing it's alternate worlds or a portal to different worlds. That seems the most realistic for this update. I'm guessing MP will be in a more rounded update (e.g 1.5).

Retro

Maybe outer space. I've been hoping they add moons and weird alien planets you can travel to. That and I'd like a private rocket base for my town.

Kinda sad it's gonna be next month, but that's really only a week or so away. He didn't say the middle of next month, just 'sometime next month'.

Oh well, at least this means I can spend the weekend doing something else instead of refreshing the Terraria forums.

Lumine

I would like to see a little teleport thingy/building. Something you can build and place wherever you want to reduce travelling times. At least I'm at a point in this game where I would feel that this would be very convenient. :p

New area's and content would be very cool too of course. ;)

elwes

I just wanted to say that worms shouldn't be able to tunnel through lava. I spent 15 minutes building a lava moat to completely encase our floating safe room right above hell, only to have a worm plow on through without so much as a "how do you do?"

duckroll

elwes said:
I just wanted to say that worms shouldn't be able to tunnel through lava. I spent 15 minutes building a lava moat to completely encase our floating safe room right above hell, only to have a worm plow on through without so much as a "how do you do?"

They live in Hell, why shouldn't they be able to tunnel through lava?

Enco said:
Source

Hmmph...

Unfortunate, they were on such a roll with quick updates - they kind of set an expectation for a week or two and then, bam... two months. While I would love to learn what they're implementing is crazy like other dimensions or something I highly doubt that - not only did they say it wasn't exciting but that's not even planed for the 1.1 update they've already talked about.

I'm assuming it's some kind of new server functionality, maybe a UI where you can host worlds and join through lists and such. Seems like that might be hard to implement and not too exciting since it has nothing to do with gameplay.

Eye of Chthulu spawned on me last night for the first time while I was digging and so I had to fight him in this small 7 x7 man made cavern all the while skeletons and bats are dropping from the top. I manage to get him down to like 900 health despite all this (went through a ton of my pots- I'm mostly decked out in silver armor) and with everything under control, the bastard decides to flee. What an exercise in aggravation.

Retro

Just a head's up, I (along with various people helping out during the day, and robot supervising...) have a project going quite a ways left of HQ, in the middle of a desert. Look for the lava, you can't miss it.

There's a large part underground I have to finish off too, but I made sure the underground highway is complete and unobstructed. Should be pretty cool when I finish it.

Just wanted to let people know since things look wonky in that area.

Retro said:
Just a head's up, I (along with various people helping out during the day, and robot supervising...) have a project going quite a ways left of HQ, in the middle of a desert. Look for the lava, you can't miss it.

There's a large part underground I have to finish off too, but I made sure the underground highway is complete and unobstructed. Should be pretty cool when I finish it.

Just wanted to let people know since things look wonky in that area.

Haven't been on in a few days (I'm Michael) but I've been exploring my own single player map, do we have any new ppl to the server? I have some extra items to hand out now: regen ring, the shoes that let you sprint, etc. I'd rather not put them in chests though.

I just have to chime in and say, "Goddamn is this game addicting!!" I picked up Terraria during the Steam Summer sale as kind of a throw in based on a few recomendations in the sale thread. I've tried not to spoil myself too much with the Wiki and haven't even tried multiplayer yet but this game is just so hard to put down. It's like the old Civilization-style "one more turn" only this time it's "just one more tunnel" or let me make one more improvement to my house.

Yesterday after work I smashed my first Shadow Orb, got my first Meteor, killed the Eye of Chuthulu, and fought off my first Goblin Army invasion. Before any of this happened I was tunneling and in a chest found a Dark Lance, which basically doubled the damage I was doing with my gold sword and makes zombies and enemies in the corruption area laughably easy. I slaughtered the Goblin Army, although they overran my house and all of my NPCs died except for the gunsmith who was cowering in a room upstairs. Thankfully they all respawned quickly.

Then the next night the Eye of Chuthulu shows up when I was completely unprepared and managed to kill me when it had only 300 hp left. The next night it showed up while I was building a stone house next to the Ocean on the left side of my map (my second meteor fell down there, after my first landed in the corruption of all places) and I beat that sucker down.

Now that I'm building up a decent amount of Meteor and Demonite bars does any one have any suggestions on what to craft? The meteor armor doesn't look much better than my gold set and the only ability I have that uses mana right now is an orb of light.

I bought a ton of games from the Steam sale for only like $60 but this game is keeping all the rest on the waiting list. Good times.

I hope the next update is making sand and mud do less damage. The underground jungle is a serious pain in the butt because I don't know how mud works still. It just seems to sort of fall randomly to me, and coupled with the bees, bats, and maneaters, the jungle is exhausting.

I did notice that the tagline for Terraria when you open it changed from "Shut up and Dig Gaiden" to "Sand is Overpowered", so maybe.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's back to what it was. Strange.

Retro

PigSpeakers said:
I did notice that the tagline for Terraria when you open it changed from "Shut up and Dig Gaiden" to "Sand is Overpowered", so maybe.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's back to what it was. Strange.

It alternates back and forth for me.

Acerac

Banned
I like how, just like Minecraft, the game has super frequent updates... until it becomes wildly successful at which point the updates get absurdly reduced in frequency.

The game is awesome and totally worth the money, but it is interesting how that happens. Perhaps this one update is an anomaly and the ultra frequent updates will return soon. I doubt it.

Well, just went on the GAF server (guess that gives away my name, oh well). It was pretty impressive all of the towers and tunnels. Didn't look around for too long, but liked what I saw.

Vlad

PigSpeakers said:
I hope the next update is making sand and mud do less damage. The underground jungle is a serious pain in the butt because I don't know how mud works still. It just seems to sort of fall randomly to me, and coupled with the bees, bats, and maneaters, the jungle is exhausting.

Sand is fairly easy, since it ALWAYS falls when there's nothing supporting it. Mud and Ash blocks are a little different, as you've noticed. When you mine any of that, there's a chance that some of the stuff to the sides and top of the block you mined can fall, as well as a few ones adjacent to those. I've seen just a single block or two fall, and I've also seen huge clumps fall, completely burying my character and making me take constant damage until I've dug myself out.

You can always dig straight down without any worries, though, as the mud will never cave in sideways, only straight down.

Now that I'm building up a decent amount of Meteor and Demonite bars does any one have any suggestions on what to craft? The meteor armor doesn't look much better than my gold set and the only ability I have that uses mana right now is an orb of light.

The thing to keep in mind are the set bonuses that you get from each armor group. A full demonite set will give you a boost to melee attack speed, making slow weapons a little better, and making the fast weapons SUPER fast. A full set of meteorite armor lets the Space Gun use zero ammo. The gun itself doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but it can fire the whole length of the screen and fires pretty fast. Unlimited ammo for it can be pretty useful when fighting certain bosses.

KilledByBill said:
After you smash 3 Shadow Orbs the Eater of Worlds will spawn, kill him and you should have enough Demonite and Shadow Scales to make yourself some Shadowscale armor. Make sure you make a Demonite Pickaxe first though if you haven't already.

Like Vlad said though, every armor past gold (Meteorite, Necro, Shadowscale, Molten, Jungle) has special set bonuses that make each one useful for different things. Collect them all.

Wired

After about 117 hours it seems I've lost a bit of steam concerning the game, not that strange maybe and I sure got my moneys worth that's for sure. Going to be interesting to see what the future holds as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wired said:
After about 117 hours it seems I've lost a bit of steam concerning the game, not that strange maybe and I sure got my moneys worth that's for sure. Going to be interesting to see what the future holds as well.
I'm not at that point yet but with that much time put in, I see where you're coming from. It's still fun to help friends build stuff though. For me, it's still very fresh as I've only for around 19 hours hahah

Wired

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm not at that point yet but with that much time put in, I see where you're coming from. It's still fun to help friends build stuff though. For me, it's still very fresh as I've only for around 19 hours hahah

Yeah, I still enjoy helping out and building stuff together. Don't think I'll get tired of that any time soon. I hope that when the patch & new world is up there's some sort of plan and group effort in creating a village or some such at spawn, I like stuff like that. Having a plan and whatnot. I take farming the King Slime for my Ninja pants for example, that was just a bunch of people standing around for several hours mostly talking shit, but it was fun :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Or we could gather and plan where we can work on our own little projects and help each other out. But yes, planning is nice.

Wired

LiquidMetal14 said:
Or we could gather and plan where we can work on our own little projects and help each other out. But yes, planning is nice.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Well I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I can't for the life of me get my bed to activate as a spawn point. Here's my setup.

51671EF2F4E866759D71D190E9C2E648F85A36EA

The outside is still a WIP as I'm planning on making a Sand Castle/Pyramid..

Arg posting this from a library. My power has been out since Thursday night.

Hopefully it comes back on today so I can move that giant lava pit unless Crazy Hobo has already done so.

Soule

Hey gully state is one of the backgrounds walls from a dungeon? If so maybe that is affecting it, try a craftable wall instead (such as wood, stone, gold) and see if that makes a difference if u have a dungeon wall back there.

Retro

Wired said:
Yeah, I still enjoy helping out and building stuff together. Don't think I'll get tired of that any time soon. I hope that when the patch & new world is up there's some sort of plan and group effort in creating a village or some such at spawn, I like stuff like that. Having a plan and whatnot. I take farming the King Slime for my Ninja pants for example, that was just a bunch of people standing around for several hours mostly talking shit, but it was fun :p

Harlan and I were essentially planning on making the Tutorial the spawn point, with a small little village just across the bridge from that. We would have a smaller apartment complex like the one we have now, and keep that area specifically for new players (i.e. no tunnels to hell or shafts that go deep enough to kill from a fall, etc.). We also were toying with the idea of refreshing that area with a terrain editor so every so often new people would be able to dig and find plenty of ore.

Then the large GAF Tower and building areas would all be a little away from that, so people don't log into the server with no idea what to do and start accidentally smashing peoples' work. Moving the personalized stuff away from the spawn will hopefully keep vandalism to a minimum. We had somebody log on and blow up a bunch of rooms last night and flood the tutorial with lava. I think because it was so close to spawn (and away from where most of us have been building) that it was easier for this person to misbehave.

But yeah, the whole point of the multiplayer servers in this game is to build shit up as a community. Beyond the tutorial, starter town, and the apartment tower (which everyone seems to like taking a room in, just before they vacate and build their own tower / fortress), it's all open terrain free for the taking.

MrMister said:
^ Probably because you have two types of walls as your background in that room.
I could've sworn the wiki said having two types of walls was OK. And neither of the bricks are dungeon walls. I guess I'll have to dismantle and repaint.

Wired

Retro said:
Lots of stuff

sounds good, and maybe you should re-ad Shadow orbs every now and then as well. As it is they get smashed in ten minutes and everyone else never get the chance.

webrunner

Can I just give a tip to everyone who wants to gear up without farming EOW? FIND YOUR JUNGLE.

You don't need any special kinds of picks or anything, everything is just really tough enemies, but if you're careful you can farm the materials to make jungle armor, blade of grass, chakrum, etc.

All of these things are a huge boost in power and defense and is probably safer overall then farming for scales.

Lyphen said:
Any way to customize the windowed resolution with this?

You can just resize the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom