• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Vlad said:
So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm trying to stay away from the wiki whenever possible, to keep as much of the game as possible a surprise. If the wiki were laid out so that each article discussed ONLY a certain item, it wouldn't be an issue, but when looking up more info on the cloud-in-a-bottle, I was spoiled that there are
rocket boots
available at some point.

So, with that in mind, what's the deal with the meteors? I've smashed the shadow orbs, which, so far, has prompted three meteor strike notifications:

1) Couldn't find the damn thing for the life of me.
2) Came across it in the middle of a jungle-looking area.
3) It's sitting at the bottom of what I'm guessing is an ocean on the far right of the map. I grabbed some of it, but can't really clear it out due to the sharks and the fireballs that come out of the meteor itself.

I've been smashing shadow orbs left and right to try to get more meteors to spawn (in hopefully convenient areas), and after smashing at least 6-8 of them, nothing.

So, two questions:

1) How does the meteor spawning work, exactly? Will no more spawn since I've got at least a meteor and a half sitting on my world somewhere?
2) Do the shadow orbs ever respawn? If not, I guess I'm SOL as far as making a complete meteorite set if I smash all of them, or is there another way to get meteors to strike?

Once you smash the first shadow orb, you've opened the floodgates so to speak. Every midnight, the game checks to see if a meteorite is gonna strike. The chances are only higher if you have broken a shadow orb for that day. Otherwise, its pretty small chances.

BTW, that first meteor probably hit one of the sky islands, in case you didnt check yet. Otherwise, its in a chasm somewhere.

As for the shadow orbs, there's a limited number, but like I mentioned, the metoerites will keep spawning.

As for if you have so many meteorites, does that prevent any more from spawning? I'm not quite sure. I once read somewhere that yes, if there's 3 meteor impact sites already, more meteorites won't spawn until you clear up at least one. However, I've never been able to find the source again (I thought it was on the wiki), so I don't know if that's correct. I've NEVER seen more than 3 active meteorite craters at a time though, but that's just me.

Relax.MX

All of you make a new world in each update? sincerely, that remove my desire to continue for now ...

I thought it would also update our world

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Relax.MX said:
All of you make a new world in each update? sincerely, that remove my desire to continue for now ...

I thought it would also update our world

You really dont have to make a new world. Seriously, I still have a world way back from update 1.03 that I still use.

We're not even sure what in the new update would require one to generate a new world anyway. So far, about the only new thing that would possibly require a new world is the spike ball traps in the dungeon, as well as the locked chests.

New world would also mean you'd have to kill the bosses again, and the new update is suppose to retweak the bosses, as well as make healing a little bit more strategic/harder.

For the NeoGAF server, we're definitely generating a new world though.

Vlad said:
You're not helping your chances by smashing more than one orb in quick succession.

There's something like a 2% chance a meteor will hit every night. When you smash a Shadow Orb the chance a meteor will strike the next night is increased to 50% then it drops back down to 2% for every subsequent night. If you run around and smash all the Shadow Orbs in one day, the chance a meteor will strike the next night is still only increased to 50% and then back down to 2% for each subsequent night. If you smash one orb per day than every night you'll have a 50% chance of a meteor crashing until you run out of orbs to smash, then it's back down to 2%. You can never have more than a 50% spawn chance.

You always have that 2% chance though and your character is persistant so you can create a new world - hell name the world "Meteor Hunting" - then just switch to that whenever you want to smash an orb and hope a meteor lands. Bring the ore back to your "home" world and make your stuff. There's no drawback to switching worlds back and forth.

Thanks to Retro:
quoteterraria.png

elfinke

Just jumped on the server to drop off some superfluous items I've picked up in my travels today
a couple harpoons, a magic mirror and some ball o' hurts

The tower looks amazing guys, well done!

webrunner

Is it possible for a meteor to land on your house?

Also, is it possible for the meteor to land where someone is watching (ie, actually see it land?)

Enco

webrunner said:
Is it possible for a meteor to land on your house?

Also, is it possible for the meteor to land where someone is watching (ie, actually see it land?)
I believe so. I think someone in this thread got his home destroyed by one.

Not sure about the second one.

Relax.MX

Houston3000 said:
This is pretty much the most standard progression of the game (read below though):

1) Dig and find ore; Copper, Iron, Silver, then Gold and construct each armor/weapon as you have enough
2) When you have Gold armor kill Eye of Cthulhu
3) Use dropped Demonite to create a Demonite Weapon for yourself
4) Buy Purification Powder from your new Dryad or stock up on Dynamite
5) Venture into the Corruption
6) Descend into the chasms and, using the Powder or the Dynamite, reach and break 3 Shadow Orbs - this will summon EoW
6B) Alternatively, collect Rotten Chunks and Vile Mushrooms, create Vile Powder and then, at a demon alter, craft Worm Food to summon EoW
7) Destroy the Eater of Worlds
8) Use Demonite and Shadow Scales to craft a Nightmare Pickaxe, and as much Shadowscale Armor as you can
9) Find and rummage through your Underground Jungle
10) Find and pillage your Floating Islands
11) Summon Skeletron at the Dungeon and defeat him
12) Pillage the Dungeon for all the phat loot (don't forget to steal the books, candles, lanterns, and spikes either)
13) Start collecting Obsidian and craft yourself an Obsidian Skull
14) Descend into the Underworld and collect Hellstone
15) Craft Molten Armor and the various crafted Molten Gear and collect the drops

1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Done
5. They kick my ass

XO..

My armor is gold and my weapon is Enchanted Boomerang+Light's Bane and alla the hearts...

Is this normal? This is the only part of meteorite I could find, neither down or to the othe side(s) was anything else. Most pics I've seen with meteorite there's a big ball of fire around. Also, Harpies are really fucking annoying geez.

Relax.MX said:
1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Done
5. They kick my ass

XO..

My armor is gold and my weapon is Enchanted Boomerang+Light's Bane and alla the hearts...
Are you having a hard time descending into the chasms? You can't really do it easily without a grappling hook so make sure you have one of those. If not you can dig down through the dirt along the chasm and when you reach the bottom of the chasm use the purification powder to dig through the wall at the bottom so you can reach the Orbs... as of the last patch or two all the chasms are connected at the bottom with a horizontal tunnel.

If you're finding it too hard you have a couple alternatives though.

1) Play it safe and hover around the edge of the Corruption, do your best to kill the Flying monsters and run in and pick up any Vile Mushrooms you can. Eventually you'll have enough to craft some Worm Food and summon the Eater of Worlds without having to venture deep down into the corruption to smash the orbs.

2) Have you gotten any Meteorite Messages? A Gold Pickaxe is all that's required to mine Meteorite and with enough of it you can craft Meteor Armor which is pretty decent and may help you.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Is this normal? This is the only part of meteorite I could find, neither down or to the othe side(s) was anything else. Most pics I've seen with meteorite there's a big ball of fire around. Also, Harpies are really fucking annoying geez.

http://i.min.us/jbInr4.jpg
Looks like the meteor landed on the very edge of a floating island, it's possible and normal that it wouldn't produce as much ore. Basically when the meteor hits it surveys the surrounding blocks and REPLACES them with meteorite. Since it hit at the edge half the meteorite didn't have any blocks to replace (just thin air) so it produced less than normal. It's basically the natural occurance of the problem people have with meteors hitting their skybridge and only providing a dozen ore or so.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
Looks like the meteor landed on the very edge of a floating island, it's possible and normal that it wouldn't produce as much ore. Basically when the meteor hits it surveys the surrounding blocks and REPLACES them with meteorite. Since it hit at the edge half the meteorite didn't have any blocks to replace (just thin air) so it produced less than normal. It's basically the natural occurance of the problem people have with meteors hitting their skybridge and only providing a dozen ore or so.

This is very important to keep in mind for those of you who are building sky bridges. If you really don't care for meteorite, then its not a problem, but if you're eagerly awaiting those meteors, you may want to hold off on making that skybridge until after you've acquired all the meteorite you want.

NG28

Anyone else get crazy memory leaks from this game? My computer will just freeze up and I have to restart the damn thing.

elfinke

NG28 said:
Anyone else get crazy memory leaks from this game? My computer will just freeze up and I have to restart the damn thing.

Yeah my old laptop really struggles after a while of playing.

I'm at a point in the game now where I realise that selling my all of my gold armour earlier was a mistake :(

Now that's 2 lots of ore to mine.

NG28

elfinke said:
Yeah my old laptop really struggles after a while of playing.

I'm at a point in the game now where I realise that selling my all of my gold armour earlier was a mistake :(

Now that's 2 lots of ore to mine.

How much RAM does it have? My pc has 4gb, I feel like this shouldn't be happening.

elfinke

NG28 said:
How much RAM does it have? My pc has 4gb, I feel like this shouldn't be happening.

Oh wow, no that leaves me for dead! The laptop I've been playing on has something like ~1260mb RAM, 256mb of which is 'shared' to the video card (Geforce 6150), leaving 960mb for the system.

At least, that's what dxdiag tells me.

Hell makes Terraria really chug.

bengraven

Houston3000 said:
This is pretty much the most standard progression of the game (read below though):

1) Dig and find ore; Copper, Iron, Silver, then Gold and construct each armor/weapon as you have enough
2) When you have Gold armor kill Eye of Cthulhu
3) Use dropped Demonite to create a Demonite Weapon for yourself
4) Buy Purification Powder from your new Dryad or stock up on Dynamite
5) Venture into the Corruption
6) Descend into the chasms and, using the Powder or the Dynamite, reach and break 3 Shadow Orbs - this will summon EoW
6B) Alternatively, collect Rotten Chunks and Vile Mushrooms, create Vile Powder and then, at a demon alter, craft Worm Food to summon EoW
7) Destroy the Eater of Worlds
8) Use Demonite and Shadow Scales to craft a Nightmare Pickaxe, and as much Shadowscale Armor as you can
9) Find and rummage through your Underground Jungle
10) Find and pillage your Floating Islands
11) Summon Skeletron at the Dungeon and defeat him
12) Pillage the Dungeon for all the phat loot (don't forget to steal the books, candles, lanterns, and spikes either)
13) Start collecting Obsidian and craft yourself an Obsidian Skull
14) Descend into the Underworld and collect Hellstone
15) Craft Molten Armor and the various crafted Molten Gear and collect the drops

There are Goblin Invasions and Meteorites to collect as well but since those are almost completely random there's really no way to fit them in.

If you're just getting gold armor you're literally at the very beginning. That being said the whole thing can be mixed up quite a bit. It's best to look at the Underworld, the Underground Jungle, and the Dungeon as all the same tier - it doesn't really matter what order you go to them. Basically, the only true straight line progression is that you need to face the Corruption and EoC/EoW to get a Nightmare Pickaxe before you can go to the Underworld and collect Hellstone.

Wow, 5 hours played and I'm still at part 1. I have no idea what to do.

bengraven said:
Gold is mostly found when you get to the rocky part (background is stones/rocks instead of sand). For some reason there are many near lava..

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
I feel like there's no need to rush through it anyway. I'm at like 50 hours and I'm still finding new shit all the time.

bengraven said:
Well, the beginning is kind of slow going - it's fun though... speeds up significantly once you kill the first two bosses. It becomes less and less linearly progressive and more about exploring various environments in search of the rare artifacts they hold and, even more so, to collect all these common ores you're working with now - not for weapons and armor - but for building materials.

Retro

demosthenes said:
Nice, just soloed Eater of Worlds my first time :D

Will be MUCH harder when potion timer goes to 60 seconds :D

But from what we've been hearing from the Developers, those fights will change so they aren't quite so cheap. No word on specifics, though.

Plus, Critical hits.

Retro said:
But from what we've been hearing from the Developers, those fights will change so they aren't quite so cheap. No word on specifics, though.

Plus, Critical hits.

Yea I think it will be a lot harder to solo. After I beat him I realized I didn't really need the shadow scales anymore haha.

Went down to hell and got 500 hellstone bricks without dying, was very happy :)

So me and Crazy Hobo spent a bunch of time draining lava into one giant tank.

A30130D73B523E17D7BCD3A8C2653DB83FD2A9B9

However there is still much lava beneath it. Our plan might be to make a new tank just before it reaches the Hell area. Tomorrow's work I guess.

elfinke

elfinke said:
Oh wow, no that leaves me for dead! The laptop I've been playing on has something like ~1260mb RAM, 256mb of which is 'shared' to the video card (Geforce 6150), leaving 960mb for the system.

At least, that's what dxdiag tells me.

Hell makes Terraria really chug.

Lol, I was way off. Have 1024mb of ram, and 64mb of that was configured for VRAM.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BlueScrote said:
So how many times am I going to fall into that lava before the world is rerolled?
Probably not a lot. And it's actually right next to the hell tunnel/drop (maybe about 2-3k feet down). We were looking for some water to dispense for some obsidian and after I left they really went to work. Really cool.

Or you may fall out of clumsiness.

I need to start a new world, my friend gave me a whole inventories worth of dynamite and I ended up destroying my whole building and tunnels when dicking around with the stuff. Was extremely fun though.

What is the fastest way to build a tunnel straight to hell? Molten pickaxe and build a 3 width tunnel or use explosives?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Straight down and when you see water/lava, double pad it with stone or mud until you get past it. You don't have to alter your path just because water/lava is beneath you. Obviously carry a mirror to respawn up and mark your path with torches. I'm sure others will have different advice.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sourtreats said:
I need to start a new world, my friend gave me a whole inventories worth of dynamite and I ended up destroying my whole building and tunnels when dicking around with the stuff. Was extremely fun though.

What is the fastest way to build a tunnel straight to hell? Molten pickaxe and build a 3 width tunnel or use explosives?

2 width tunnel is big enough. Explosives will tend to get expensive, so that's not really optimal.

Its a fairly simple process (just gets amazingly boring). You may want to bring a horseshoe, diving helmet, and flippers just in case, but you'll definitely want a Magic Mirror (or if you don't really care about dying, you don't really have to).

At some point during the dig, you're going to run into water (and later lava). You have two options at that point, do a process of laying down some blocks beneath you while alternating w/ digging the layer right below your feet, -or- just keep digging, and either bring the water w/ you, or vent it off somewhere.

On my single player world I picked the absolute worst place to dig from. I must have been bringing an ocean w/ me, had to make so many side pockets for air. Then I ended up going through several lava pockets which netted me a bunch of obsidian.

Though it was eventually a good thing. I dumped a ton of water into hell which covered the place in obsidian, so I was able to run around a bunch and not have to worry.

edit: Can not wait for lava slimes not to spawn lava.

You dig straight down, 2 blocks wide. When you get just above water or lava you fill the area below you with stone/dirt (replacing the water/lava) then dig through the stone/dirt you just placed to create an air tunnel through said liquid.

If you don't have a lucky horseshoe or don't trust your ability to grapple/double jump at the bottom than it's not a bad idea to bring a small pool of water with you that you can land in when you jump down. Alternatively, you can place a tile or two of cobwebs at the bottom to catch you but it'll slow you down and you'll have to remember not to destroy them by accident (or to replace them if you do).

Sophia

The drop rate of Goblin Invasions on the server seems to suck. I even went to my awesome farming spot
the jungle gym
and all I got was spiked balls and gold. :\

Also, tower mostly fixed-ished..... however you want to call it. At least it doesn't look like someone took a bomb to it anymore.

Wired said:
Seems like someone has amused themselves with blowing stuff up on the server. Great.

Wonder if we should keep the IP address GAF-only, ie use PMs to share it or use the special email tag so that you need to quote the post to see it.

I'd consider that a last resort though. Building the attraction is half the fun for me.

Any tips for efficiently mining for gold ore? I'm 18 hours in at this point and still haven't crafted a full set of gold armor (I've got a gold broadsword/pickaxe/chestplate). Just need boots and helm.

webrunner

Go a bit deeper. And do the 'see through walls' tricks like putting torches in the walls, hitting them with boomerangs, etc. Gold's the rarest mundane mineral but it tends to be found in big deposits once you find them.

Also, a spelunker potion might help but it's hard to get those at that point in the game.

Also if you can find a flying island with a gold house on it, it'll usually also have gold ore.

Houston3000 said:
You dig straight down, 2 blocks wide. When you get just above water or lava you fill the area below you with stone/dirt (replacing the water/lava) then dig through the stone/dirt you just placed to create an air tunnel through said liquid.

If you don't have a lucky horseshoe or don't trust your ability to grapple/double jump at the bottom than it's not a bad idea to bring a small pool of water with you that you can land in when you jump down. Alternatively, you can place a tile or two of cobwebs at the bottom to catch you but it'll slow you down and you'll have to remember not to destroy them by accident (or to replace them if you do).

Haha, I feel stupid XD Oh well...the end result helped me pour a ton of water into hell giving me a lot of walkable surfaces.

webrunner said:
Go a bit deeper. And do the 'see through walls' tricks like putting torches in the walls, hitting them with boomerangs, etc. Gold's the rarest mundane mineral but it tends to be found in big deposits once you find them.

Also, a spelunker potion might help but it's hard to get those at that point in the game.

Also if you can find a flying island with a gold house on it, it'll usually also have gold ore.

Haven't found a boomerang yet. Man I really should read up on the wiki. I feel like I'm getting unnecessarily punished for not reading it..

I play on my desktop. If I copy my character and world files to a flash drive and then copy them to my laptop I should just be able to use them right? Then I would obviously need to redo the process to update my desktop, correct?

demosthenes said:
I play on my desktop. If I copy my character and world files to a flash drive and then copy them to my laptop I should just be able to use them right? Then I would obviously need to redo the process to update my desktop, correct?

Correct...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom