• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
HaRyu said:
You already registered before, but it looks like you registered again with a slightly different username. I seem to be getting a couple of players who keep doing this.

Do you want me to delete the 1st account, or both accounts so you can re-register?
Could you delete all of the currently registered usernames? My original one didn't want to work it seems and I got confused with the changes to the server, sorry.

Edit: Many thanks.

balddemon

Banned
Twinduct said:
Whoo whoo, 1.06 tomorrow!
Link

OH SNAP.

jor7H.gif

Retro

More on the exact timing of 1.0.6;

Blue said:
For those of you who are curious we are in the EST timezone. So Tomorrows patch will be out 19 hours to 28 hours from now.

That was posted at ~2:30 EST, so pretty much any time after 10AM tomorrow but could be as late as 6 or 7PM.

So in other words, by tomorrow night. I would imagine a lot depends on the Steam approval process, which is why they can't give an exact time. It's not like flipping on the kitchen light, I would guess.

So yeah, make any last minute preparations (like stockpiling building materials). The Devs have said in the past that the game was launched early and that 1.0.6 is closer to what they wanted to have for launch. In that way, we've only been playing the pre-release test version of it, and in theory... the real game is about to launch.

Twinduct

Yeah I forgot about the timezone. I was so happy! Tomorrow is a public holiday. Now I'll only get my hands on it by 8pm tomorrow! ... boooo :<

Retro

Whoo hoo, what exciting times we live in when a tweet about MUD is worth posting. Still, I think most people will enjoy the change;

Blue (via Twitter) said:
So, just saying... In 1.0.6, Ash and Mud no longer fall due to gravity when placed or dug.

Retro said:
Whoo hoo, what exciting times we live in when a tweet about MUD is worth posting. Still, I think most people will enjoy the change;

That actually upsets me a little. Sure it was annoying but it was the risk you had to take in order to dig in it.

Retro

Blue just tweeted a reply to somebody and stated that the 1.0.6 Changelog won't be up before the update, so unless they continue to drop little details there won't be any major news tonight.

Grimm Fandango said:
That actually upsets me a little. Sure it was annoying but it was the risk you had to take in order to dig in it.

I was just talking to Harlan about this, and I think for me it's a mixed bag. I was fine with Mud (it meant you had to be careful in the Underground Jungle), but Ash made Hell especially annoying. So I would have been fine with Mud staying 'muddy', but the change for Ash is fine by me. Even though loose Ash seems much more likely to crumble underneath you.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
I was just talking to Harlan about this, and I think for me it's a mixed bag. I was fine with Mud (it meant you had to be careful in the Underground Jungle), but Ash made Hell especially annoying. So I would have been fine with Mud staying 'muddy', but the change for Ash is fine by me. Even though loose Ash seems much more likely to crumble underneath you.

I'm mixed about it too. The good news is that I can now use ash/mud for art builds again. Yay.

Stop It

Retro said:
While happy that I will no longer die due to being crushed, I was just getting used to the mud/ash = trouble idea, ah well.

I guess Terraria will be laptop friendly, so at least I may be able to try the patch tomorrow on my sisters laptop as I wont be home until Saturday.

Stop It

Well, just before the new patch, I have acquired me a new weapon, the Night's Edge (Lawsuit from Tim Langdell pending).

2011-08-08_00001mfvv.jpg

Yes, I need to get to designing my house properly, heh.

The mud was pretty annoying... a better solution in my opinion would of been like in a lot of games with falling bricks. The mud could shake for a couple of seconds and then fall, it would make tunneling through it a lot easier as you could quickly put up blocks or plant grass to reinforce it. Really what made it annoying was the random pattern with which is fell, sand is fine in my opinion and I think it was a cool idea to have other blocks (like mud) that are affected by gravity

Actually, I hate to go off on a tangent but one of the features I wish was in the game but I know never will be is falling boulders and being able to craft support planks. Like as you're mining you have a chance to unearth a big 3x3 boulder above you that you'll have a few seconds to prop up with a plank before it crashes down (planks being placed like walls underground) they'd only be destroyed by dynamite. It would add a new element of danger to just digging like crazy and give more use for dynamite.

Anyways... 1.06 tomorrow - WOO! Right when I'm working on moving to a new apartment!

I finally got the game after months of lurking LP's and this thread. I'm loving it so far. I have a few super newb questions that I couldn't seem to find in the guide:

Is the Guide a pretty important NPC? The fool died on the first night right in front of my doorless house. :lol

Are wood walls eventually going to be able to be knocked down by higher level enemies? Just wondering so I can prepare for teh worst

Sophia

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I finally got the game after months of lurking LP's and this thread. I'm loving it so far. I have a few super newb questions that I couldn't seem to find in the guide:

Is the Guide a pretty important NPC? The fool died on the first night right in front of my doorless house. :lol

Are wood walls eventually going to be able to be knocked down by higher level enemies? Just wondering so I can prepare for teh worst

The answer to both is No. The guide will show you crafting recipes with items, but other than that he's pretty useless.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
FantasticMrFoxdie said:

If you have no idea what materials are needed to make what items, and you don't use the Terraria wikis, the Guide is pretty important.
You can't kill him permamently anway, so you really cant get rid of him. :p

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
The only things enemies can knock down are doors, and that's only the goblins. Zombies can OPEN doors, but only during a blood moon.
Otherwise, there are enemies that go through walls, and you really cant do anything about them (The bosses and the worms.)

Sophia

HaRyu said:
If you have no idea what materials are needed to make what items, and you don't use the Terraria wikis, the Guide is pretty important.
You can't kill him permamently anway, so you really cant get rid of him. :p

"Important." Right... that's why we keep tossing his voodoo doll into Hell's lava any chance we get? :p

Mordeccai

Just started to try my hand at building a castle of my own, and by God, its taking forever. Whats bugging me the most at the moment is removing all the dirt walls underground, it takes sooo long. Maybe building a basement and underground forge wasn't such a good idea afterall.

Retro

Mordeccai said:
Just started to try my hand at building a castle of my own, and by God, its taking forever. Whats bugging me the most at the moment is removing all the dirt walls underground, it takes sooo long. Maybe building a basement and underground forge wasn't such a good idea afterall.

1. Dig a small crack from the surface down to where your basement rooms will be.
2. Dig out a few more adjacent cracks to approx. where your basement will be. You need not be accurate.
3. Dynamite that fucker.
4. Profit.

Actually, I think you can skip steps 1 and 2 (though they are necessary for dungeon wall). Get to a demolitionist and see if that works.

And on that note, they need a 'wallbuster' bomb that only breaks background walls.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right folks, the server itself will be down tomorrow, until I get the update, the server mod update, and I'm sure I can import things in.

Sophia

Retro said:
And on that note, they need a 'wallbuster' bomb that only breaks background walls.

I actually tossed sticky bombs around and they seem to not destroy certain types of bricks. Mainly, Silver/Copper/Gold.

Not the most effective way, at any rate.

Alright, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

This was allowed by HaRyu, because the update is coming tomorrow.

I've always wanted to flood hell, and it worked :D

West Shore before breaking flooding:
leftshore.png

And pictures of hell:
hell.png

hell2.png

hell3.png

hell4.png

hell5.png

hell6.png

Retro

Ah, the sun rises, the birds are chirping, and I'm going to be hammering F5 until the patch launches or my F5 button breaks. Who needs birds when the devs might tweet? Who needs sunlight when there's a bright Terraria sun that wears sunglasses when you do... much cooler than the real one that, you know, only sustains life as we know it.

Seriously though, could be 2 hours from now, could be late this afternoon. All we know for sure is "Today", there will be new furniture, drastic changes to the healing and magic systems, and mud/ash won't collapse on you anymore.

It's supposed to be stormy here anyways, so it's not like I could do much outside even if I wanted (and generally, I don't). If history is any guide, it'll probably be after noon...

:( Nooooo I'm leaving for a week without internet in about 3-4 hours. I hope the patch drops before then so I can have take 1.06 Terraria with me.

Sophia

Retro said:
Ah, the sun rises, the birds are chirping, and I'm going to be hammering F5 until the patch launches or my F5 button breaks. Who needs birds when the devs might tweet? Who needs sunlight when there's a bright Terraria sun that wears sunglasses when you do... much cooler than the real one that, you know, only sustains life as we know it.

Seriously though, could be 2 hours from now, could be late this afternoon. All we know for sure is "Today", there will be new furniture, drastic changes to the healing and magic systems, and mud/ash won't collapse on you anymore.

It's supposed to be stormy here anyways, so it's not like I could do much outside even if I wanted (and generally, I don't). If history is any guide, it'll probably be after noon...

Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I'd like the chance to try out everything new before I have to raid in WoW.

Twinduct

Retro said:

Well another 3 hours and it'll be 19 hours for me! ... Fuck me I wish it comes out in 3 hours!

That mud and ash change is so welcome.
It didn't add any challenge whatsoever, all it did was make digging through hell and the jungle a massive fun crushing chore.

I might pick this up again after the patch, the chore hell digging made me quit playing.

PatzCU

I'm going to replay this from scratch post-update. Haven't played really since the game first hit Steam so I'm guessing it will be a brand new experience.

Vek

oh snap, steam just updated terraria for me...

Edit: yup, 1.06 is out! Too bad that it's 1AM here and I have classes tomorrow :'(

NPC’s furniture requirements have changed to work with new items.NPCs now requires one “comfort object” (Chair, Throne, Bench, Bed, Toilet) and one “flat surface furniture” (Table, Dresser, Workbench, Tub, Bookcase) for a room to be complete before they will make it their home.

Does this mean our NPC's all disappear?

webrunner

Gully State said:
Does this mean our NPC's all disappear?

The old requirements still meet the new requirements, you just dont have to have a "chair" and a "table" - you can have a throne and a bookcase, instead.

Sophia

Love all the new items already. This is fantastic.

Now encountering a 150 HP Pinky slime upon starting the world was not. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom