• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo new update!

All right, for those eager to get on the server, as I said, I'm waiting for the updated server mod. As soon as I get that and get it setup, server will go up.

In the meantime, for all those who STILL haven't bought the game yet, Tiy tweeted that the game will be 50% off in the middle of the week.

Tried it out for a few minutes in a new world. Some pretty neat stuff so far:
- Night's Edge sprite has been improved. It also seems that the stats are tweaked a bit, since it seems stronger and faster. It looks like a critical hit system may have been added too, as I have been killing some zombies in one hit with it.
- Music for the Corruption has changed, it now sounds a bit creepier. Of course, now those previously annoying thorn bushes are destroyed when they are touched, making it a bit easier to wander through the Corruption.
- I found the above-ground Jungle in this new world, and I obtained a Jungle Rose.
- Of course, there are the new GUI changes. Now when you use Orb of Light, an icon pops up allowing you to see how much time is left. Plus, lots more numbers.

DarkKyo

I haven't spent much time with this game since launch and it looks like a lot has been added since then.. probably time for a revisit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Demonite ore in hell you say? And I'm glad I mined for some hellstone earlier this morning as not I have a good 200 bars and just need to craft the armor and leggings to complete my hellfire set. I made the helmet but gold ore is hard to find.

Grapple hotkey is nice (E).

anddo0

Sounds like the patch upped the difficulty quite a bit. I regret not framing hellstone while it was still easy.

I'll be sticking to softcore for sure. Hardcore sounds scary.

Hardcore - Drops all Items and deletes your character on death, requiring you to start a new character. On death you will become a ghost that can not interact with the world until you log out.

The ghost part sounds a little like Demon's Souls.

Haha, so a toilet counts as a "comfort object" and a bathtub counts as a "flat surface object" - I'm going to force the guide to live in the bathroom.

Sophia

Houston3000 said:
Haha, so a toilet counts as a "comfort object" and a bathtub counts as a "flat surface object" - I'm going to force the guide to live in the bathroom.

The bathroom is too great for him. :(

Sophia

Marsipolami said:
GAF server isn't up?

No, it's not. From Harlan's post on the same page as yours:

HaRyu said:
Woohoo new update!

All right, for those eager to get on the server, as I said, I'm waiting for the updated server mod. As soon as I get that and get it setup, server will go up.

In the meantime, for all those who STILL haven't bought the game yet, Tiy tweeted that the game will be 50% off in the middle of the week.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
confuziz said:
server is up, but has a password?

Server is only up right now for testing purposes. We're not done prepping it yet. When its ready, I'll take the password off, and announce that you guys can come on.

Don't worry... it'll be worth the wait. ^O^

Maybe I should throw in a evil laugh.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

confuziz

Banned
HaRyu said:
Server is only up right now for testing purposes. We're not done prepping it yet. When its ready, I'll take the password off, and announce that you guys can come on.

Don't worry... it'll be worth the wait. ^O^

Maybe I should throw in a evil laugh.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yea I thought so =P

confuziz

Banned
Zzoram said:
Is this game any fun alone? How do you play with GAF?

Join the server through the 'multiplayer' button =P. Server info is on the first page of this thread. I think it's way more fun!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hyped for the update. I'm probably going to start a new world with the new update, but it'll be tough since I've done a ridiculous amount of building in my current world. I'd hate to leave my underwater lair behind. :(

Then again, I'll be able to put toilets and thrones and bathtubs in my new structures. :)

Linkup

I want to do a Terraria 4 pack, really curious about this and figure for $3.75 I can't go wrong. I did a Borderlands 4 pack that went smoothly. Paypal, today, $3.75. Can I get three brave souls to join in? Reply/PM etc.

atre324

a few things:
-The toilet needs to be scaled up to match the bathtub, or the bathtub needs to be scaled down

-Chinese lanterns are neat but don't seem to match the aesthetic of anything in my house. I would love to use them as hanging lanterns if they didn't have the chinese character on them.

-Statues look awesome

-I wish you could hang banners from wooden platforms, not just blocks

-I am saddened about not being able to wear multiples of the same accessory :( I guess the fastest move speed you can get now is the set bonus from the armor + 1 aglet (5%) + 1 anklet (10%) + hermes boots?

-Incorporating all the new furnishings into existing houses/bases is really annoying

Nearly all the new items are crafted so unless you're short on supplies you're going to have everything except the first few items on the list in about 30 minutes, but the new furnishings look really great when placed.

Do people want me to post the recipes for all the new items? I typed them up for another forum I post on, but I don't know if posting them all is considered a spoiler or if people want to see a huge list of blacked out stuff lol

Drazgul

HaRyu said:

My body is ready.

Is there any approval/whitelist process to join or can I just casually waltz in (haven't really kept up-to-date with Terraria, been waiting for this patch, so dunno if the server software even supports whitelisting these days)?

demolitio

atre324 said:
Do people want me to post the recipes for all the new items? I typed them up for another forum I post on, but I don't know if posting them all is considered a spoiler or if people want to see a huge list of blacked out stuff lol
That'd be really helpful for me so I'd appreciate it if you did. I guess just spoiler tag them to be safe.

I'm excited about the furniture since I'm at the point in this game where I got the items I want and now I just want to build shit.

Zzoram said:
Is this game any fun alone? How do you play with GAF?

I got the game yesterday, I'm having a blast in SP.

I was up till 4am playing...I haven't gone on a gaming binge like that in a long time. Mining can get a bit tedious, but once you upgrade your equipment things really starts to pick up. I'm probably not going to jump into the MP for awhile. There is still a lot of things for me to discover. :D

Quick questions:
1) What is the next building station I need after i've finished making the iron anvil, and alchemy stations, furnace?

2) How do I get people to move in? According to the wiki, i've more than met the requirements for the Merchant (I've got a huge house with multiple rooms and like 120 silver coins), but he still hasn't moved in.

atre324

demolitio said:
That'd be really helpful for me so I'd appreciate it if you did. I guess just spoiler tag them to be safe.

I'm excited about the furniture since I'm at the point in this game where I got the items I want and now I just want to build shit.

kk

• New Item : Battle Standard: 10 Tattered Cloth + 5 Wood (at demon altar?)
• New Item : Piano: 4 Bones + 15 Wood + 1 Book
• New Item : Loom: 12 Wood
• New Item : Bench: 8 Wood
• New item : Dresser: 16 Wood (not a storage item)
• New Item : Bathtub: 14 Iron
• New Item : Red Banner: 3 Cloth (at Loom)
• New Item : Green Banner: 3 Cloth (at Loom)
• New Item : Blue Banner: 3 Cloth (at Loom)
• New Item : Yellow Banner: 3 Cloth (at Loom)
• New Item : Lamp Post: 3 Iron + 2 Glass + 1 Torch
• New Item : Tiki Torch: 3 Wood + 1 Torch
• New Item : Barrel: 9 Wood + 1 Iron Bar (functions as chest)
• New Item : Chinese Lantern: 5 Cloth + 1 Torch
• New Item : Cooking Pot: 10 Iron Bars + 2 Wood
• New Item : Safe (purchased from Merchant for 50 gold)
• New Item : Skull Lantern: 10 Bones + 1 Torch
• New Item : Trash Can: 8 Iron (holds items like barrel/chests, doesn't seem to delete them but don't quote me lol)
• New Item : Candelabra: 5 Gold Ingots + 3 Torches
• New Item : Pink Jar: 4 Clay (you can't plant seeds in these)
• New Item : Mug: 1 Glass (placeable)
• New Item : Keg: 14 Wood
• New Item : Ale: 1 Mug (at Beer Keg)
• New Item : Bookcase: 20 Wood + 10 Books
• New Item : Throne: 20 Cloth + 30 Gold Ingots
• New Item : Bowl: 2 Clay (placeable)
• New Item : Bowl of Soup: 1 Bowl + 1 Mushroom + 1 Goldfish (at Cooking Pot)
• New Item : Toilet: 6 Iron
• New Item : Grandfather Clock: 3 Gold + 6 Glass + 10 Wood (displays the exact time when right clicked)
• New Item : Statue: 100 Stone

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Drazgul said:
My body is ready.

Is there any approval/whitelist process to join or can I just casually waltz in (haven't really kept up-to-date with Terraria, been waiting for this patch, so dunno if the server software even supports whitelisting these days)?

The rules for the server are anyone can drop by.
The catch is for you to be able to actually do anything OTHER than kill enemies, you'll have to register on the server and wait for your clearance to be raised.
Everyone who registered before today have at least Trusted clearance, w/ a few of you having VIP clearance.
Anyone who signs up from this point forward will have Probation clearance. All you can do is dig and build, but that's it. You cant use explosives, carry water, carry lava... these are a few of the things you must have higher clearance to do.
Probation clearance isnt very long. If I'm watching the server, and deem you're not psycho, you'll get jumped up to Trusted, and I'll let you know.

As for the status of the server, STILL NOT READY YET. I'm waiting for the updated server mod to drop, w/c it still hasnt yet. Again, when its ready, I'll let you guys know.

dalin80

Banned
The game seems to keep moving further and further away from what I enjoyed at the original release.

Loved mining resources to build up a huge building and large scale engineering projects but now you cant do bugger all between the endless swarms of enemies no matter where you are.

Its been turned into a hack and slash grind.

Spent a session today trying to put a new roof on my building only to lay less then a handful of blocks while defending from cuthulu, a goblin army, new larger slimes and metric shit-ton of zombies/eyes.

In the end I just said fuck it and gave up, it should at least have the decency of not making you constantly click to swing your sword.

dalin80 said:
The game seems to keep moving further and further away from what I enjoyed at the original release.

Loved mining resources to build up a huge building and large scale engineering projects but now you cant do bugger all between the endless swarms of enemies no matter where you are.

Its been turned into a hack and slash grind.

Spent a session today trying to put a new roof on my building only to lay less then a handful of blocks while defending from cuthulu, a goblin army, new larger slimes and metric shit-ton of zombies/eyes.

In the end I just said fuck it and gave up, it should at least have the decency of not making you constantly click to swing your sword.

I kind of have to agree with this sentiment.

The game was just convenient, relaxing, fun.
But with 1.5 and it's new enemies , those mfucking cactuses (thankfully fixed now) and all the new trash items to make silly potions and vanity stuff , it made getting around and inventory managment a huge chore.

Now with ruining endgame light sources (the new light orb is pretty useless when traveling, and my armor no longer glows) and adding more fluff (and especially a bunch of decorations that don't fit into the style of the game at all) everything becomes even more of an inconvenience.

Thankfully I got my molten pickaxe and 2 pieces of molten armor before the patch, because mining in hell is a huge pain with the lava spawning hellstone, less light and butchered potions
I think I may just roll back to the 1.4 client or wait till someone makes a hybrid 1.4 - 1.6 mod.

In the end cthulus eye and the eater of worlds are still a joke if you have good armor and a jungle sword/flamarang so I don't see the point of these changes other than make the game needlessly annoying and grindy for those just starting out and those trying to terraform their favorite world.
(which they'd have to recreate AGAIN just to get the new chests n shit, fuck that I spent hours making a smooth path to the corruption and jungle and making a few farms)..

So they did increase enemy spawn? Because a blue slime spawned in a 2-square shadow in-between my friend and I. It's gotten ridiculous. Think I may just go back to our old world, check out the new stuff and than take a long break and wait until 2.0 or something.

Retro

On one hand, I can understand some of the complaints, especially about lighting.

The Orb of Light and Molten armor basically made torches pointless. Once I had mine, I didn't bother leaving torches along my dig routes to find my way around anymore. It was annoying to see how dim/slow it was when I first started today, but you know what? I actually kind of missed the survival aspect of carrying torches (and Glow sticks)

In the hour or so I've been able to play since the patch, I've used more torches than I have in the last month. With the changes, the Orb of Light feels like an upgraded Miner's Helm so you can use a proper Helm. That's it. Having it on at all times completely negated the need to worry about light.

I haven't noticed any significant increase in mobs; maybe you just don't have enough NPCs in your town yet? The number goes down as your town grows.

And having both Cthulu and a Goblin invasion show up while you're 'just trying to put up a roof' seems like over exaggeration. I was building some stuff in a new character today and it didn't seem to be a problem in the slightest.

And I actually liked the potion and herb component, it was something new to seek out and utilize. And the new furniture seems perfectly suited to the game world AND is something I've been really eager for.

Bottom line: This was an overhaul patch they managed to sneak some content into. We all knew what it was going to be before the patch launched; that doesn't make it bad, but did anyone expect them to add new bosses or biomes?

The Orb of Light is next to useless now. Iluminates a lot less, hell when I swing my molten pickaxe I get more light than that, and it moves really slow (Not like it was particulary fast before)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom