• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdeezy

I lost my save on this game :( My characters and worlds are both gone :mad: 79 hours gone....just like that. I wont be playing this anymore sadly

Harpuia

Goddammit, I've been trying to update to 1.0.6 for a while now, and it didn't update. So I just uninstalled Terraria hoping this would fix the problem. Now it's telling me the steam servers are busy every time I try to install. :/

Sophia

dalin80 said:
The game seems to keep moving further and further away from what I enjoyed at the original release.

Loved mining resources to build up a huge building and large scale engineering projects but now you cant do bugger all between the endless swarms of enemies no matter where you are.

Its been turned into a hack and slash grind.

Spent a session today trying to put a new roof on my building only to lay less then a handful of blocks while defending from cuthulu, a goblin army, new larger slimes and metric shit-ton of zombies/eyes.

In the end I just said fuck it and gave up, it should at least have the decency of not making you constantly click to swing your sword.

How the hell did you have Cthulhu AND a Goblin Army at the same time? That's not even possible. o_O

Retro said:
On one hand, I can understand some of the complaints, especially about lighting.

The Orb of Light and Molten armor basically made torches pointless. Once I had mine, I didn't bother leaving torches along my dig routes to find my way around anymore. It was annoying to see how dim/slow it was when I first started today, but you know what? I actually kind of missed the survival aspect of carrying torches (and Glow sticks)

In the hour or so I've been able to play since the patch, I've used more torches than I have in the last month. With the changes, the Orb of Light feels like an upgraded Miner's Helm so you can use a proper Helm. That's it. Having it on at all times completely negated the need to worry about light.

I haven't noticed any significant increase in mobs; maybe you just don't have enough NPCs in your town yet? The number goes down as your town grows.

And having both Cthulu and a Goblin invasion show up while you're 'just trying to put up a roof' seems like over exaggeration. I was building some stuff in a new character today and it didn't seem to be a problem in the slightest.

And I actually liked the potion and herb component, it was something new to seek out and utilize. And the new furniture seems perfectly suited to the game world AND is something I've been really eager for.

Bottom line: This was an overhaul patch they managed to sneak some content into. We all knew what it was going to be before the patch launched; that doesn't make it bad, but did anyone expect them to add new bosses or biomes?

They just rendered the other ligthsources useless, they should have made torches better or something.
I'd still plant plenty of torches to scout out walls for ores, and to light up bigger rooms before this patch, granted I did not have full molten armor set yet. (2 pieces).

Thing is now I basically can't see shit most of the time, and I'm having to use my miner's helm again, wooptie doo.

Survival =/= chore to play.

It does seem like spawn rate is increased, once you stop you get swarmed, especially at night.
I stopped to kill 2 little eyes that followed me , for their lenses, and before I knew it I permanently had 3 eyes and a few zombies onscreen.
Sure made farming lenses easy, but it's an unwanted chore to kill off the constant stream of enemies most of the time.

Wait for dawn I hear you say: NO, that is another stupid chore.
I get night being scary in areas above your gear level and at the start of the game, but it shouldn't be a permanent inconvenience.
It's not difficult the way it is now, it's just annoying because I constantly have to switch weapons to whack down the next few mobs before I move on digging/gathering.

The fluff items are an issue because of inventory space, on a jungle trip if I also do some mining I have to go barebones inventory - I'll have all these fun weapons and ranged weapons and accessories, but I only bother to take what I can equip + 2-3 situational things or I get to spend half my time on an exploring trip dropping stuff ).
Let alone if I go with a friend on hardcore and he dies n drops his shit, then I just get to drop EVERYTHING I gathered so I can get his armor.
Ignore the picking up armor bit if you want to argue about it, it's plenty inconvenient alone.

The very things this game was recommended to me for, and that I recommended it to others for (none of the usual inconveniences like too little inventory space, annoying grind or chore mechanics) have vanished with the last 2 patches.

Wether you think that is a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, we are only arguing that they have changed.
I hate it.

It felt super polished, well thought out, relaxing and fun.
Now it's becoming a chore.
I'm pretty sure that the conveniences and relaxing atmosphere and sandbox gameplay are what makes it so popular, not many people care for frustrating roguelikes.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right folks, got my hands on an updated server mod, trying to work out the bugs. Server will hopefully be up soon.

Ultratech

Well, I spawned a new world and noticed a couple of things.

Corruption has its own music. Or it's different from before.

Dungeons are QUITE a bit tougher. Not so bad in the early parts, but once you get down pretty deep, it can be damn hard to avoid getting hit by stuff.

Also some new enemies in the Dungeon. Not so much hard as they are annoying. Skeletons seem a bit more aggressive though.

I like the new Night's Bane. Looks a lot better.

Light Orb is kinda crappy now. Muramasa's also got the same nerf on its glow. :(

Conversely, the Molten Tools still light up stuff just fine.

Had a funny little glitch(?) where I was in some blocks. Didn't get stuck, but it was kinda funny.

Guess I should be glad I got all my Hellstone stuff pre-patch. :D

Enco

Mdeezy said:
I lost my save on this game :( My characters and worlds are both gone :mad: 79 hours gone....just like that. I wont be playing this anymore sadly
Sucks man. Know what happened?

That's why you always back up. I can see quitting a game after losing so much but Terraria is one game where it's easy to start again I think.

Zero-Crescent said:
I looked at my new world in MoreTerra, and man, they weren't kidding about Hellstone becoming a rarer resource. I can see a bunch of small, scattered pockets, but no large deposits. I've uploaded both maps so everyone can compare.

Old world (1.0.5)
New world (1.0.6)
It's a little annoying it's rarer now, but Hell looks way better, the giant pools of lava they had before didn't make sense. The worst thing is that hellstone spawns lava :(

Treefingers said:
OS X wrapper.
WHAT?! Awesome.

In other news, I now must build a throne room.

Mdeezy

Enco said:
Sucks man. Know what happened?

That's why you always back up. I can see quitting a game after losing so much but Terraria is one game where it's easy to start again I think.
Well I have three hard drives and one died on me but my Steam drive(I have a 1TB drive dedicated only to steam) wasnt the one that died. Some of my other games lost my progress too but the majority of my games still have their save files. I dont know how the hell that happened :(

Gintamen

Just bought it, hope it's as fun as it's supposed to be.^^ Lucky me, to be spared of the patch changes, not knowing what's lost or gained.

Mdeezy said:
Well I have three hard drives and one died on me but my Steam drive(I have a 1TB drive dedicated only to steam) wasnt the one that died. Some of my other games lost my progress too but the majority of my games still have their save files. I dont know how the hell that happened :(

Your world and char are saved in users/your username/documents/mygames
You should always back them up to a seperate drive or at least a seperate folder in a game like this.

It's easy to accidentally delete/lose items or have someone grief your server.

Ultratech

atre324 said:
anyone know if keys get consumed upon use? Or can you just use the same key to open as many chests as you want?

Consumed upon use. At least that's how it worked for Gold Keys and Golden Chests in the Dungeon. They remained locked until you use the key, then you can do whatever you want with it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay guys, server is ALMOST ready to go up.

I do have to warn you guys that Retro and I have found a possible bug, so if it happens to you, this is the fix.

ISSUE: When you try to login into Multiplayer, at the player select, once you pick your character, game crashes.

CAUSE: I believe its TShock related (the server mod that we're using). If while playing on a TShock server, your character is affected by a teleport (either you use a warp command, or the admins teleport you somewhere), it somehow will cause the bug next time you login. It appears it somehow corrupts the server.dat file thats in your Terraria user folder. Server.dat is the file that keeps track of the previous servers you've been on.

FIX: Go to your Terraria user folder, and delete server.dat.

Some of you have VIP access on the server, so you have the ability to warp. Please remember that THIS WILL AFFECT YOU IF YOU USE IT. However, it only corrupts the server.dat file, so your character file shouldn't be affected. The admins are aware of the bug, so we're not going to teleport people until the issue is fixed (unless you want us to).

risk

My BF and I are having problems draining the ocean into hell. He made a long tube-like hole from the ocean down to hell and is emptying the water into a type of jug made out of bricks. The jug won't fill up and it seems like the water is frozen.

Is there any other way to drain the ocean into hell?

risk said:
My BF and I are having problems draining the ocean into hell. He made a long tube-like hole from the ocean down to hell and is emptying the water into a type of jug made out of bricks. The jug won't fill up and it seems like the water is frozen.

Is there any other way to drain the ocean into hell?

Look on previous page I posted several pictuers :)

And you have to make your tank above hell. You're making it in hell.

Harpuia

Sigh, I figured I'd try like 5 hours later, and nope, Terraria still won't install, steam gives me the same error over and over again. :/

parasight

I just have a question for the folks who run the GAF server. What do you use to edit the map? Say I just want a few buildings transferred into a new world, can I do that easily with the editor?

Ahh, did the server die? I can't connect again.

On the other hand, the update destroyed my garden; I can't plant fireblossom seeds in pots in the lava for some reason...

Remfin

I'm sure glad I played a bunch before this latest patch, because the lava changes, lighting and absurd potion nerfs have killed it for me. I sure hope they change their minds...

risk

demosthenes said:
Look on previous page I posted several pictuers :)

And you have to make your tank above hell. You're making it in hell.
Ah thank you! Time to find a lot of lava right before hell then.

dalin80

Banned
Marrshu said:
How the hell did you have Cthulhu AND a Goblin Army at the same time? That's not even possible. o_O

no idea, I didnt even summon cthulhu, It had just gone night when the 'being watched' message came up on the screen, I think I was about half way through the sheer boredom of of 10000 mouse clicks to killing the invasion when he turned up.

So far the more they have added the less fun the game has become.

Retro

Server just went down for the night.

Apologies to everyone who tried to build and couldn't; the server software is still very twitchy and has at least one game-crashing bug in it. Harlan mentioned transferring apartments tomorrow.

Sophia

Retro said:
Server just went down for the night.

Well, at least we got the mushroom farm started. It's a bit further down then I would have liked, but it'll do.

Assuming nobody beats me to it, I'll grab some seeds from my solo world and plant them.

elwes

Haven't had a lot of time to check out the new changes, but I'm REALLY enjoying the ability to mass transfer my inventory into chests. Makes stockpiling resources for building very nice when I can max out my inventory space, go to an empty chest, click one button, and then keep on gathering.

Just got the game today. After barely surviving one night I decided to build an underground fortress. Unfortunately I did some digging and found another open chamber. Ever since Zombies have been seemingly popping out of thin air from that side of the cave. I've sealed that off with stone blocks but one seems to keep appearing in my sanctuary! Glitch or do these things really pop out of the ground?

2dj761f.jpg

Not a glitch, they'll spawn off-screen underground until you replace the walls and make it a 'proper' building. Right now it's just regular underground.

NBtoaster

I thought I heard they were making the corruption and removal of it more significant in the new patch? Doesn't seem to be anything like that in the patch notes.

duckroll

confuziz said:
They either changed the requirements of silk or I got a huge bug, but I simply cannot create it!

I think you need a loom now. There are a lot of new furniture items and changes to what you need to craft certain types of items.

Can anyone explain a bit about the keys and chests?
-Do I have to make a new world to see the new chests? (I really don't want to)
-Do they hold different stuff that I can't get in my old world through opening shadow orbs and normal chests? I already have most of not all of the accessories anyhow.
-Anyone got a screenshot of the chests?
-Where are they found

Some generic questions:
-king slimes: haven't seen them at all yet in my 1,4 world.
-bones? I haven't had a single drop ever, aren't they supposed to drop from skeletons?
-do you still use your normal grapple hook over the vine whip? it seems rather inconvenient to get around with fast since you need to shoot 3 vines each time.

edit: thanks vlad.

Vlad

SneakyStephan said:
Can anyone explain a bit about the keys and chests?
-Do I have to make a new world to see the new chests? (I really don't want to)

Yes.

I haven't been playing this long, but I'm guessing that anything that gets added in patches that's part of world generation (biomes, chests, etc) will require you to make a new world to see it, as it seems like the whole world is generated at once when you start a new one.

-bones? I haven't had a single drop ever, aren't they supposed to drop from skeletons?

They don't drop from the skeletons you find randomly underground, they drop from the skeletal monsters in the dungeon.

-do you still use your normal grapple hook over the vine whip? it seems rather inconvenient to get around with fast since you need to shoot 3 vines each time.

You don't need to shoot all three each time. I pretty much only shoot the one and hit jump to disconnect it. I'll only ever use more than one when I need to adjust the position I'm hanging in mid-air.

Carcetti

I've just started this and I want to build a proper stone castle/dungeon somewhere, now the question is:

In the long term, is it safer to build a floating fortress or an underground lair for your main base?

DryvBy

I just got this game last night. It's funny how different personalities are with this game, like my friend and myself.

Friend: "I hate this game. It doesn't tell me what to do."
Me: "I love this game. I can do what I want to do."

However, tonight we're going to co-op and I'm hoping I figure out more. I really had no idea what I was doing and couldn't even craft. But still had fun digging around. I love this SNES/Genesis 16-bit era of graphics games are being released in. Between this, Minecraft, and 3D Dot Game Heroes, I'm in love with (some of) this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom