• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

SneakyStephan said:
Thanks, I'll try, finding a demon forge will be a huge pain in the ass though.

Not really. They're all over the place in the corruption, just not on the surface. Once you're in the corruption, head down one of the chasms there and, at least in the one world I've played on, you should find a ton of demon forges just sitting out there in the open.

By the way, you DO have a grappling hook, right? That's pretty much standard equipment, so if you don't have one, making one should be priority #1.

RetroMG

Somehow I've gone from a total scrub to being completely badass in one night. I couldn't take down any of the bosses last night, and tonight I downed EoC and Skeletron. No idea what's changed.

Retro

RetroGamer42 said:
Somehow I've gone from a total scrub to being completely badass in one night. I couldn't take down any of the bosses last night, and tonight I downed EoC and Skeletron. No idea what's changed.

Dunno, but I like your Username.

Seriously though, once you get past Gold and start crafting a few Demonite or Hellstone items, the game really quickly rolls over for you. Once I had my Molten Fury bow, I was pretty much unstoppable.

So the difficulty changes in the next patch are a welcome change.

Mergesort

Retro said:
Dunno, but I like your Username.

Seriously though, once you get past Gold and start crafting a few Demonite or Hellstone items, the game really quickly rolls over for you. Once I had my Molten Fury bow, I was pretty much unstoppable.

So the difficulty changes in the next patch are a welcome change.
I don't realy know if thats good, because now the mobs will get even more annoying while i am building stuff -.-

Retro

mns-dna said:
I don't realy know if thats good, because now the mobs will get even more annoying while i am building stuff -.-

Well, bosses only show up once in a while, and I'm going to assume that the surface-level creatures (Slimes, zombies, demon eyes) aren't going to get TOO radically difficult. At the very least, none of them will cause any of the new status conditions (though we can use them against them, hello poison throwing daggers and flaming arrows). Shouldn't make surface-level building too bad.

As for subterranean structures and digging networks/sewers, that will probably get a bit more dicey. But really, how often do you potion-spam during regular enemy encounters vs. bosses? I dunno about anyone else, but I rarely used potions outside of boss-fights or accidents (i.e. Whoops, shouldn't have melee'd that lava slime).

What are everyone's favored top-tier weapons? Currently I'm rocking the molten-level sword and flamarang and am fairly happy with those. I'm curious as to what other gear I should be on the look for.

Retro

BlueScrote said:
What are everyone's favored top-tier weapons? Currently I'm rocking the molten-level sword and flamarang and am fairly happy with those. I'm curious as to what other gear I should be on the look for.

I tend to stick with Staff of Regrowth for melee, Molten Fury + Explosive Arrows for ranged. I usually don't carry much else since most of my time in the game has been spent building (i.e hauling around materials).

Hopefully with the changes to armor and the new Status Effects system, we'll see an overhaul of weapons too so there isn't a 'best' weapon, just different choices.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
BlueScrote said:

Weaker than Retro's Staff of Regrowth, I carry Masamune around, reinforced w/ a Feral Claw (sometimes two), to increase the attack speed.

My character is primarily a caster though, so my main mode of attack is actually the Demon's Scythe spell.

Other than that, I also carry a Dark Lance around, which mainly is used to light up things inside/past walls (much more effective than the enchanted boomerang).

ShinAmano

I am rocking Molten Armor and Nights Edge.

I dont really take any damage anymore and enemies are easily defeated.

I am thinking about building a small shrine on the GAF server and donating a bunch of good stuff.

Retro

Fresh from Twitter:

Redigit said:
Hopefully we will have 1.0.6 ready early next week.

Hopefully patch notes will drop sooner than that and we can kind of plan things out. Harlan, anything you think we need to get ready before it drops?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Fresh from Twitter:

Hopefully patch notes will drop sooner than that and we can kind of plan things out. Harlan, anything you think we need to get ready before it drops?

Lessee...

1. For those who haven't done so yet: Please register on the server! Everyone who's registered by the time the update hits automatically gets Trusted privileges: can build/dig, carry water, carry lava. Unregistered players won't be able to do squat. Those who register AFTER the update hits are considered "Proby", and can only build/dig, but nothing else. More info as to what the privilege levels are will go up shortly.

2. There will be a NeoGAF Tower apartment complex on the new world also. Unlike the current world, this one is completely locked out/protected, by room. If you WANT a room (or two or three), please let the admins of the server (me or Retro) know.

3. Anyone w/ bans will have them lifted WHEN the update hits. From that point onwards, there's a 3-strike policy. More info will be up shortly.

4. Do not expect access to the server when the update hits! I'm going to be generating worlds and try and determine a nice optimal world for us to play in. I also need to make sure any server mods I have actually work w/ the new update.

5. Since we're expecting the update supposedly next week, if you have anything important on the server, make sure you get it now.

6. Those of you who are starting building projects now- if you would like your project transferred over to the new world, please let me know.

7. Uhm, those of you who already have rooms in the tower. If you would still like to have a room in the tower, and you really like your current room, I can also transfer that over, but you need to tell me. Otherwise, I will assume you're going to want to make your room from scratch again.

I think that's it for now? Server rules/policies will go up shortly. For those of you who need to ask me for things (tower rooms, etc), you can PM me, contact me via Steam, or if all else fails, you can mention it here in the thread.

HaRyu said:
Lessee...

1. For those who haven't done so yet: Please register on the server! Everyone who's registered by the time the update hits automatically gets Trusted privileges: can build/dig, carry water, carry lava. Unregistered players won't be able to do squat. Those who register AFTER the update hits are considered "Proby", and can only build/dig, but nothing else. More info as to what the privilege levels are will go up shortly.

What is the command for registering on the server?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
BlueScrote said:
What is the command for registering on the server?

/register "username" "password"

Due to a glitch, please keep your usernames all lowercase. The username does not have to be the name your character is, and it does not have to be your GAF username. You can use whatever username you want. The username is for ALL your characters that you use on the server.

To see if you registered properly, use

/login "username" "password"

You won't have to do it now, but when the update hits, if you want access to your privileges, you will have to login.

Retro

Should remind folks that the reason there's a login/pass in the first place is to ensure whatever people build, store and dig on the GAF server isn't destroyed by vandals. We've had two cases now where someone hopped onto the server and purposely destroyed things. The multiplayer aspect of Terraria is amazing when you've got tons of people on all doing their own thing, and Harlan is looking at CTF mods and the devs are working on built-in PVP in the future.

While it's one more step to playing, it really is there to make things better for everyone.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, here's the rules/FAQ for the new world when it goes up, also located at this link:
UberBat/NeoGAF Server FAQ/Rules

--RULES / BANS--
The following are BANNABLE offenses:
Don’t alter/destroy other people’s structures, unless they give you permission!
Don’t flood SURFACE with water/lava.
Don’t dump lava. If you somehow do this by accident, TELL AN ADMIN, CONTACT THE SERVER GUY, POST ABOUT IT ON THE FORUMS, OR AT LEAST TELL THE OTHER PLAYERS IT WAS AN ACCIDENT SO THEY CAN BACK UP YOUR STORY. EVEN IF YOU’RE THE ONLY PERSON ON THE SERVER, THE ADMIN CAN LOOK AT THE LOGS AND SEE ANY THING YOU TYPE INTO CHAT, SO JUST SAY YOU ACCIDENTALLY SPILLED SOME, AND IN WHAT AREA!

1st time bans last 48 hours.
2nd time bans last one week.
3rd time you are banned permanently.

--REGISTERING FOR THE SERVER / MEMBERSHIP--
Players who wish to have the ability to build/dig must register!
( /register [username] [password] , make sure its all lowercase, no spaces, numbers, or special characters! )

Unregistered: no privileges
Probation: registered, can build/dig
Trusted: registered, can build/dig, carry water
VIP: registered, can build/dig, carry water, carry lava, use spikes, use explosives, warp, whisper
Refs: registered, can build/dig, carry water, carry lava, use spikes, use explosives, warp, whisper, summon monsters, kick, teleport

Once you register, you have Probation priviliges, which isn’t much. After you’ve played for a bit (2 hours, give or take), you’ll be upgraded to Trusted status.

To be upgraded from Trusted to VIP, you need to have been coming to the server regularly, and need to be vouched for by another VIP member or higher.

--MISC--
Specific regions/areas of the map are “locked”. You will not be able to alter anything in those sections unless you have the proper permissions.

NeoGAF tower rooms are open to those who want a room. Please check with an admin so he can grant you access. (aka, permissions required)

Don't keep anything important in chests if you don't want other people to take it!

Any high-end items you happen to place in the storage room in NeoGAF Tower will be moved to "The Vault". You can also give those items to the admins/mods, and they will move stuff to the vault. All the really good stuff is located here. The location is like Vegas, you do not speak of it to others. You are allowed to take anything from the Vault, but just getting through the Vault can be a bit of a problem.

I'm probably going to still be tweaking this info leading up to the new update, but I'll let you guys know when its been finalized. If you have any suggestions/changes, please feel free to let me know.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
WOOHOO

Apparently, the new furniture that they said wouldn't be in 1.0.6, will ACTUALLY BE IN 1.0.6!

From Tiy's twitter:

Tiyuri
Most of the new furniture will now be in 1.0.6! And there's Beer too! Coming early next week.

Sophia

Awesome, more things to decorate my totally amazing house in the sky with.

I assume us regulars who have already registered will automatically have trusted/VIP accordingly?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I should be a shoe-in for VIP status. ;)

Anyways, I'm hyped for the update. Cloud saving is gonna be so nice. EDIT - wait, that's not in the next update, is it? :(

Twinduct

Nice. So if they don't get time to add in 'that something awesome' blue was talking about, think they'll announce what it was and schedule it for a future patch? Or just kinda go 'no harm, no foul' and move on?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
Awesome, more things to decorate my totally amazing house in the sky with.

I assume us regulars who have already registered will automatically have trusted/VIP accordingly?

As I said earlier, at the very least, you all get Trusted status.

Some of you will get VIP status, depends on who Retro and I can vouch for, but generally, if you're a regular, and I've actually SEEN you be a regular, you'll probably get VIP status.

Twinduct said:
Nice. So if they don't get time to add in 'that something awesome' blue was talking about, think they'll announce what it was and schedule it for a future patch? Or just kinda go 'no harm, no foul' and move on?

Blue mentioned that there was suppose to be something awesome in the next update? I don't remember. I was under the impression that it was a so-so update (they were even downplaying the hype for it, saying that its probably not at all that special).

Then again, this has been the longest wait for an update since the game started. Its entirely possible they did add something awesome. But I don't want to hype myself up and get disappointed. :p

Sophia

HaRyu said:

Some of you will get VIP status, depends on who Retro and I can vouch for, but generally, if you're a regular, and I've actually SEEN you be a regular, you'll probably get VIP status

Kudos, then. Guess I don't have to worry about it.

And on that note, feel free to remove my floating islands. I want to rebuild them all over when the server starts up anew anyhow.

Twinduct

HaRyu said:

Some of you will get VIP status, depends on who Retro and I can vouch for, but generally, if you're a regular, and I've actually SEEN you be a regular, you'll probably get VIP status.

Blue mentioned that there was suppose to be something awesome in the next update? I don't remember. I was under the impression that it was a so-so update (they were even downplaying the hype for it, saying that its probably not at all that special).

Then again, this has been the longest wait for an update since the game started. Its entirely possible they did add something awesome. But I don't want to hype myself up and get disappointed. :p

I'm completely dumbstruck! Can't find anything of it, really hope I wasn't imagining things! It was around the time where it was mostly confirmed that 1.06 will only really be balances, it was said in a ' don't worry guys, there is new stuff as well ' and then he mentioned that their implementing something, but not announcing it yet ... or something like that.

Gonna end up searching the world now. I'm not crazy!!

1.0.6 does look like an interesting update, judging from the features on the wiki. After all, we'll now have a server history for multiplayer, and annoyances like Lava Slimes, thorn bushes, and cacti will be made less annoying. I also like the grapple hotkey and the potential for a new sprite for Night's Edge (Right now, it's just a purple sword, not good for the ultimate blade).

It might be important to mention that they're apparently looking for beta testers for 1.0.6 (and/or beyond?):
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-beta-testers-club.48771/

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
wilflare said:
is the GAF server running on tmod?
couldn't find all those (register functions) when running my own family/home server

GAF Server is actually using TShock, not TMod.

I'd really like to be Trusted status on the server, I haven't played in a few weeks (so busy plus Dungeons of Dredmor plus waiting for the patch) and I tried to log in today actually and do the registration but the IP wasn't working. I thought I remember hearing it was changed but I didn't write it down and can't find the post.

HaRyu said:
WOOHOO

Apparently, the new furniture that they said wouldn't be in 1.0.6, will ACTUALLY BE IN 1.0.6!

From Tiy's twitter:
Oh god... all over my body

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
I'd really like to be Trusted status on the server, I haven't played in a few weeks (so busy plus Dungeons of Dredmor plus waiting for the patch) and I tried to log in today actually and do the registration but the IP wasn't working. I thought I remember hearing it was changed but I didn't write it down and can't find the post.

Oh god... all over my body

Yeah, it changed:
IP: 173.78.148.132
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

And I know you well enough on the server, Houston, you're definitely getting at least the Trusted status.

VandalD

I registered on the server, but I don't know how much I'll be playing on it. I'll show up every now and then as Aterra I'm sure.

Harpuia said:
I'm seriously wondering postponing my playing of Terraria so I can receive the full benefits of the next update..

I'm feeling the same way. My first world, and the one I've built the most on, is a large world. I want to start a new, small world when the patch hits so I have a place to store all my crap that doesn't take much so long to load, and has the new stuff like dungeon traps. It's making me not want to do much in my current world.

Part of the reason I don't play on the server much is because if I feel like building something there, I'd rather take from the stockpile of blocks and such that I have stored in my world - except it's a large world, and for some reason the load time for that puts me off even bothering.

Come on, update!

IceMarker

I demand auto-VIP for I have many an evil castle to build with ebonstone and lava!~

Sorry I haven't been on lately been trying to get through my Steam backlog.

Retro

Whoo hoo, lots of cosmetic goodies in the next patch. With all of those new bits of furniture and the improved inventory management, I may just have to reboot my Homeworld at 1.0.6.

HaRyu said:

1.0.6 was 'delayed' because they were adding something that was very large but something most people 'wouldn't get excited about'. My guess is, it was something behind the scenes to make the game run better, remove cheating (i.e. duplicating worlds) or something to set the stage for future updates (i.e. rewriting the way save files are handled so they can save more than just a world, like the alternative dimensions or alien planets they've mentioned before). They mentioned that if it proved to be too big of a feature to implement, they would just drop it and release 1.0.6 without it.

The news is definitely starting to rev up, which is nice after so long without many updates. The Devs tend to drop patch notes AFTER the patches go live and they may rush things to get it out this weekend (they've dropped patches suddenly in the past). Guess I better get to building all that cool starter stuff we have planned for the GAF server next update.

Clear your chests out on GAF server and let us know if you want anything preserved for the next world! Next update, as far as I'm concerned, is imminent .

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
MrMister said:
I demand auto-VIP for I have many an evil castle to build with ebonstone and lava!~

Sorry I haven't been on lately been trying to get through my Steam backlog.

Yeaaaah... that reminds me. If you're a player who's going to build something strictly out of ebonstone, you're gonna have to put the structure in the corruption zone.

elwes said:
Are you saving the apartment complex, or is that being completely redone?

I mentioned it earlier, but the tower/apt complex WILL be in the new world/when the update hits. However, unless requested by players, the entire building will just be a shell (empty rooms). If you have a room in the tower, and would like its contents imported over (this does not include stuff in a chest), then you need to tell me. Since the top floors are considered prime real estate, I'll hold a drawing for those rooms, but its only open to those who actually reserve a room before the next update.

Also, the tower may not be the same exact height on the new map (since its dependent on how much surface room the new map has).

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm pretty sure that the new world won't go up immediately. As I said before, I'd have to double check to see if the new update actually works w/ the server mod I have installed. Hell, I'm not even sure if the map editor I use would work w/ the new update. So things like me being able to lock out entire sections, or being able to import things from the current map to the new one, I have absolutely no idea if I'd even be able to do those tasks.

If stuff is incompatible, haven't actually decided yet what to do. I'm sure it'll be compatible at some point, just not sure when. In the meantime, maybe brand new "TEMPORARY" world again? Not sure. We'll see when the update hits.

confuziz

Banned
I got a question, perhaps a silly one.

If the patch comes in, does it automatically applies to my personal world? In other words, I keep my chests in my SP but I can access the GAF server for the new stuff right?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
confuziz said:
I got a question, perhaps a silly one.

If the patch comes in, does it automatically applies to my personal world? In other words, I keep my chests in my SP but I can access the GAF server for the new stuff right?

The patch does apply, but there are some thing you have to be aware of:

1. Stuff you currently own/have in storage might be gimped/changed/replaced (good example of this was the change of Cobalt Armor to Jungle Armor back in update 1.03).

2. New biomes/places do not suddenly appear in your world. For example, when they added the fact that the jungle could now be found on the surface (back in update 1.04), you wouldnt see a jungle mysteriously appear. You'd have to create a brand new world.

3. We know that at the very least, the dungeon is pretty much getting a revamp. Locked chest, spinning ball traps, etc. Those will PROBABLY not suddenly appear in your dungeon (even if you created a world before the new update, but never went into the dungeon). You will have to generate a new world.

Finally, if you somehow dont update, you won't be able to enter the server. So make sure you update.

elwes

I think I might just go and pilfer my room's materials instead of getting it copied over. I'd like to build my own house in the next update. Plus, someone elongated the room I chose so it doesn't exactly fit into the apartment's normal width.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right folks, some more additional rules/guidelines/stuff to expect for the new world when the update hits.

The purpose for the guidelines? Well, aesthetic reasons, mainly. If you've been on the server, you'll notice all the flat ground... pretty much barren landscape (hardly any trees except at the tree farm).

The following info is located here, btw.

Building Guidelines/Plans/Jobs/NPCs

There’s going to be a bit more order to how we handle builds, mainly because it would be nice to have the world not look like the aftermath of some architect’s drunken bender. The following are basic guidelines that everyone should follow.

--THE DISTRICTS--
The world’s surface (as well as some parts underground) are divided up into different districts. These are zoned for specific things, so please keep the following in mind:

TUTORIAL TOWN: no alterations/building allowed. This place is so locked down, that you won’t even be able to build something above the town.

NEOGAF TOWER: the apartment building. You may only modify/alter the rooms you are assigned to. You are allowed to knock out floors if you have adjoining rooms. You are allowed to knock out the exterior wall to your room if you want to extend outside. Please be aware however, that the airspace AROUND the tower is protected, so you would only be able to extend only a certain distance. Also be aware any extensions themselves aren’t protected outright, so you’ll need to inform the admin so he can lock it down.

RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT: located on the other side of the tower, players may build homes. You ARE allowed to build homes outside the residential district, but if you want a home in the district, please try and not make them super huge. Residential district IS locked by default, and like the tower, you will need to ask for permission to build.

ART DISTRICT: one of the bigger districts, this area is strictly for art. No homes! Like the residential district, you can put your art anywhere, but its recommended you keep it in the art district, since its basically the server’s “museum”.

FARMING DISTRICT: a community farm area, players ARE expected to replant anything they harvested.

OUTPOSTS: while not really a district, outposts are areas located at key points where you can set your spawn as well as drop off excess items in chests. Examples are ones at the entrance of the dungeon, the start of the jungle, and one at each ocean.

--TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE--
Fancy-schmancy words for: tunnel systems and bridges.

TUNNELS: the main, convenient, way of getting around the world. There are three main tunnels: Zero Tunnel, Mid Tunnel, and Hell Tunnel. These three tunnels run across the whole map, from one side to another. Connecting the three tunnels are shafts located at important locations on the surface, usually extending all the way down to hell.

BRIDGES: bridges on the surface will, quite frankly, be restricted. You already have an easy way to get around the world (the tunnels) so there’s really no reason for anyone to riddle the surface w/ bridge. If you’re going to build a bridge, we want a REAL bridge. Nice architecture, extravagant, that sort of thing. If all you’re going to do is plop down a single block platform, your bridge is not going be around for very long. Also, Sky Bridges are not recommended, for the mere fact that they’ll probably block meteors from landing. If there’s a Sky Bridge, it probably will only cover the districts (to protect them), but not be any larger than that. The Sky Bridge would NOT run the whole length of the map.

--THE JOB AGENCY: JOBS and QUESTS--
Somewhat related to all the building, the server will have a job/quest board. The Job Agency is mainly there for players who come on the server, and have absolutely nothing to do. Jobs range from resource gathering, to treasure hunting, to build projects.

Some jobs will have a set reward/payment for completion. Other jobs have negotiable pay. Players may also use the job board to find other players to help them with tasks, but they are responsible for any payments. Otherwise, the jobs are mainly created by the admins, and the admins will be the ones paying players.

--NPCs--
We would REALLY appreciate it if you avoid making NPC compliant rooms. Essentially, the key thing is the simple wooden table and the wooden chair. Sure it might screw up your decorating plans, but really, we’re getting all that awesome furniture in the next update (1.0.6), do you really want your room to be marred by a simple table and chair? I don’t think so.

At the moment, we’re going to assume that NPC compliant rooms require THOSE two pieces of furniture. If you noticed, in the new furniture that we’re getting, there are more elaborate designs of tables and chairs. They didn’t mention that the new furniture would be replacements for those two pieces of NPC-compliant furniture. If that’s the case, you’re allowed to use the new furniture in place of the original table and chair.

Why are we picky about NPCs? We kind of hate scouring the world for a NPC if they’re scattered all over the place. At the very least, we would prefer them to all be in the same general area.

--MISC--
Ebonstone and Lava: Okay, really, don’t use these too much. Sure lava pools are nice, but we don’t need them EVERYWHERE. Ebonstone buildings are creepy, but they don’t have to be near everyone where they’ll spawn the corruption monsters. Both of these features are on a case by case basis, so if an admin asks you to change something (or not to use something where you’re building), please do what they say.

Trees: REPLANT TREES. If push comes to shove, I’ll completely lock out certain forests so no one can touch them. I don’t want to resort to that, so please, if you chop down trees, but you’re not planning on building anything in that area, REPLANT TREES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom