• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
SneakyStephan said:
Can anyone explain a bit about the keys and chests?
-Do I have to make a new world to see the new chests? (I really don't want to)
-Do they hold different stuff that I can't get in my old world through opening shadow orbs and normal chests? I already have most of not all of the accessories anyhow.
-Anyone got a screenshot of the chests?
-Where are they found

Some generic questions:
-king slimes: haven't seen them at all yet in my 1,4 world.
-bones? I haven't had a single drop ever, aren't they supposed to drop from skeletons?
-do you still use your normal grapple hook over the vine whip? it seems rather inconvenient to get around with fast since you need to shoot 3 vines each time.

edit: thanks vlad.

1) King slimes were added in 1.05?
2) Bones drop from skeletons in the dungeon
3) No you don't?

Blu10

Anyone know if I buy a safe, and place it on a multiplayer world, if somone else could come by and use the hammer to take it?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bought the game, loving it

but there is one problem - in my world, iron ore is almost impossible to find. Plenty of copper, silver, but almost no iron...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Yeah, server crashed suddenly, Harlan may be having technical difficulties.

Not the damn woodland creatures this time!

Verizon network issue, its okay now, hop back on. :p

EDIT: Doh, since they had to reboot the modem, it would also mean new IP address.

If you don't want to keep typing it in, use this:

server address: gafterraria.dyndns.org

If you want to use the current IP address number instead, then:
server address(IP Number): 71.180.49.81

ProTip to fellow newbs. Make sure you build your house with a high enough ceiling or no one will move in. :lol

Look at my wood ceiling height on the left VS. my new brick one I built last night.

TdKrI.png

Practically all 4 of them moved in as soon as I put a door in my new house. Buncha squatters!

VandalD

I don't think the new GAF server likes me much! Keep losing connection. I don't know if it's that server specifically, or the game update, or just my crappy internet. I saw lag complaints for the short time I was connected, but I have a feeling I'm the only one getting a total loss of connection.

The little bit I've seen while connected looks great though.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
ProTip to fellow newbs. Make sure you build your house with a high enough ceiling or no one will move in.
Your house to the left is one block taller than the minimum, from my experience. I've had NPCs move into places that have 4 blocks of height inside to move around in. Haven't tried 3 high. Did you not have a table and chairs in the wood house? Maybe the update changed things regarding house height.

KScorp

VandalD said:
I don't think the new GAF server likes me much! Keep losing connection. I don't know if it's that server specifically, or the game update, or just my crappy internet. I saw lag complaints for the short time I was connected, but I have a feeling I'm the only one getting a total loss of connection.

Nah, I keep losing connection as well.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
ProTip to fellow newbs. Make sure you build your house with a high enough ceiling or no one will move in. :lol

Look at my wood ceiling height on the left VS. my new brick one I built last night.

Practically all 4 of them moved in as soon as I put a door in my new house. Buncha squatters!

Uh... they wouldnt have moved into the left one because the wall is made out of dirt. Has nothing to do w/ the room height. Besides, I build rooms that high, and I get NPCs to move in no problem.

VandalD said:

The little bit I've seen while connected looks great though.

Yeah, everyone seems to be having an issue. I'm not really sure the cause right now. I'm looking into it.

LOL Sorry for the Not-so-protip

HaRyu said:
Uh... they wouldnt have moved into the left one because the wall is made out of dirt. Has nothing to do w/ the room height. Besides, I build rooms that high, and I get NPCs to move in no problem.

Thats all woodwall and glass. Not able to use wood? Maybe something bugged out for me, because my guide that died on the first night didn't respawn until I built that second house. I had about 5 rooms in my first house with all the requirements tables/chairs/40 silver. Oh well, I just ended up turning my first house into a sky bridge.

ServBotPhil said:
Need help. Game never crashed before, but now it's unavoidable. Any tips?

I read somewhere that turning off the Options>Video>Frame Skip helps with that.

Huggy

saunderez said:
He means the back wall. Yours is all speckly which indicates its made out of dirt. Dirt doesn't make livable houses.

Just a heads up, new in 1.06:

● ALL placed background walls are now considered ‘house walls’. (Yes even Dirt and Dungeon walls.)

Ettie

Started a single player game to figure everything out. Clear land, build shelter. Set up for NPCs, Guide starts going to and fro through my new place.

Night falls, he continues opening the door and filling my house with zombies and the occasional demon eye. They finally killed him and me both.

Super frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? Can I expect all NPCs to roam at night and let monsters into my town because they aren't smart enough to stay inside after dark?

Ettie said:
Started a single player game to figure everything out. Clear land, build shelter. Set up for NPCs, Guide starts going to and fro through my new place.

Night falls, he continues opening the door and filling my house with zombies and the occasional demon eye. They finally killed him and me both.

Super frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? Can I expect all NPCs to roam at night and let monsters into my town because they aren't smart enough to stay inside after dark?

NPCs don't move at night if their shelter is sufficient. Can you take a picture of it and show us?

So glad 1.06 finally dropped. Gave me some incentive to start playing again last night... Aaaaaand four hours later haha..

Loving the new furniture and banner options. Decked out a gold castle in a new 1.06 world; got banners hanging off everything, a throne room, a vault (full of Safes), a formal room with tables, piano, Grandfather clock.. It's just given Terraria so much more character in the base-building area.

Liking the locked chests everywhere in the Dungeon now too. Gives you a bit more of an incentive to come back to the Dungeon later, extends the game time in there more, which is great.

I think when the next big content patch comes, I'll probably start a vanilla character (up to this point, even my new toons have always carried over a Molten Pick or an armour set or something just to get a quicker start).. For the time being though, for the little additions and balances that 1.06 brought, I'm loving Terraria again.

Ettie

Grimm Fandango said:
NPCs don't move at night if their shelter is sufficient. Can you take a picture of it and show us?

Got the issue fixed. My back wall had a gap in it from where I had leveled out the area before I laid my wood base. Looked sameish as the wood back wall, but wasn't.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Excited to spawn a new world. Now that I know about the world viewed, I'll make sure my jungle isn't at the other end behind two corruptions!

My Apartment on the server (with the pink brick and the out-house) extended off my section in the tower - I have to change those green banners to blue though. Shortbread's being awesome and sharing his space with me, he's the mage down in the wood extension... I'm the dude inside the house with the robot hat.

wgBHh.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Bought this game yesterday for the $5 sale...

I didn't know what I was getting into. This game looks like too much work. I wanted a more casual experience, hell I had to watch the "Intro to Terraria" video on the OP just to learn what the hell I was supposed to do when starting the game.

I mean, I've only played like 20 minutes of the game, but it doesn't seem fun at all. Just hold the mouse button to dig and attack things. Doesn't seem really compelling. I'm sure the drive of this game is the crafting and building, but shit, it looks like that takes time.

Maybe it's my fault for not watching more videos as to what this game actually is. Oh well, I'm not salty. It was only $5 and feel good to throw that money to the developers to support a game that a lot of people seem to love.

demolitio

Now I'm glad I got decent enough equipment to start playing MP. The best part is I didn't die at all after being thrown in the lava 50 times. I really need that cobalt shield but I never got one in SP. :D

I think this game will make my nerve problems even worse with how much you have to click...lol

bs000

Houston3000 said:
My Apartment on the server (with the pink brick and the out-house) extended off my section in the tower - I have to change those green banners to blue though. Shortbread's being awesome and sharing his space with me, he's the mage down in the wood extension... I'm the dude inside the house with the robot hat.

I moved your bathroom. I was hoping you wouldn't notice, but now that there's a picture... xP

I hope you don't mind. I was thinking of using that space for something else.

Alsoooo, I think I figured out why we can't expand past that point. It's because we're so close to tutorial town. The people on the right side of the tower get to expand alot further. Something I didn't really see or think about before choosing my room D:

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I was playing Terraria and a friend asked about the patch notes. I talked over with him and asked if he wanted to see my world.

We spent sometime on my world, killed the monster at the dungeon, found some floating islands, he helped me out with some stuff I didn't know, discussed some different things from the new version, so on and so forth.

We finished doing everything we wanted in our world and he said "now you join mine, so you see how my house is". He opened the server and I joined his world. His path to hell is a mess, no sure way to go there and just too many hazards. I told him we should build a Hellevator together, and we did. Then we find some door and liquid related bugs and had a good time. I looked over at the clock and we've been playing for FIVE HOURS straight.

This game is a fucking menace.

Sdawg36

In case anybody was wondering, spawning a trillion bunnies on a tshock server does not give you a trillion bunnies, but instead 1000 hp fire imps, a few supersonic eye of cthulus, and turns the server to mush. Not that I would do such a thing on my own server :p Really hope that doesnt have a long term effect on my world (not like I dont have a bunch of backups anyways).

Also, does anybody have any tips on making gigantic lava pools? There's not any way to make infinite lava from one click like water is there?

bs000 said:
I moved your bathroom. I was hoping you wouldn't notice, but now that there's a picture... xP

I hope you don't mind. I was thinking of using that space for something else.

Alsoooo, I think I figured out why we can't expand past that point. It's because we're so close to tutorial town. The people on the right side of the tower get to expand alot further. Something I didn't really see or think about before choosing my room D:
Hah, no worries... as long as it's rebuilt :p. Sucks about the limited room though, should of got a room on the other side. Would of also had the benefit of being closer to the hellevator and dungeon.

Retro

Adam Prime said:
I mean, I've only played like 20 minutes of the game, but it doesn't seem fun at all. Just hold the mouse button to dig and attack things. Doesn't seem really compelling. I'm sure the drive of this game is the crafting and building, but shit, it looks like that takes time.

This isn't an uncommon first impression, and lots of GAFfers have said the same and then posted 6 hours later "Holy shit, I've been playing this all day."

Terraria may seem like a 'lot of work', but don't let it overwhelm you. All you need to worry about in the first 20 minutes is surviving, crafting some torches, and digging around. Elements are introduced slowly, in a fairly natural way ("Oh, what does Gel do?" > "Oh, I can dig deeper now" > "Oh, what's that orange stuff?" > "Oh cool, I can make armor now" > etc.), so watching a video of more advanced play (with people flying around with laser guns and lightsabers and shit) can give you the impression that you're moving much slower than you are.

Just dig. Just explore. It's an *extremely* relaxing experience, and yet it can get very exciting (Multiplayer Goblin Invasion says hello) and even more mellow than you might think (just chilling out, building a cool fortress).

If it's not for you, you've already said you're cool tossing $5 away to try it out. But we've had people in this thread bitch about wasting money when it was (accidentally) $2.50 and came back a couple days later full on Terraria addicts.

20 minutes may not be enough. When Harlan gets the GAF server up, try that. We've built a really awesome Tutorial with to-the-point advice and freebies to get you started on the right foot, and more often than not (and often against your better interest) people will give away some nice items to new players. Sometimes just seeing what you can do is enough to encourage people to give it another go, and that usually ends well.

Sdawg36 said:
In case anybody was wondering, spawning a trillion bunnies on a tshock server does not give you a trillion bunnies, but instead 1000 hp fire imps, a few supersonic eye of cthulus, and turns the server to mush.

.... I summoned a couple hundred bunnies just fine yesterday. The npc and item IDs on their wiki are no longer correct, try using names (i.e. "/spawnmob "bunny" 200) instead?

elwes said:
Got bored with my new SP world and went to sign onto the gaf server and it won't let me on. ;( Babbit is sad.

Just a reminder; GAF server usually shuts down ~2 am EST when Harlan's PC goes into sleep mode. Dunno if we've stopped including that info when we post the server details, but it's usually up from 8am to 2am daily. (Lately we've been having trouble with server stability, but it doesn't appear to be the host).

duckroll

So I've spent some time with 1.06, and I'm not really feeling many of the gameplay changes. I feel it's really good that they've actually trying to make big changes (because the original game definitely had issues which needed addressing) but there's still some ways to go before finding an ideal direction for some of these changes.

- Health system revamp.

I don't like it. Regenerating health kinda ruins the long term action pace of a run, especially when travelling across long distances in the overworld, or going deep underground. With regenerating health and severally nerfed potions with longer cooldown times, it seems that the game basically forces/encourages players to wall themselves in when surrounded/weakened, and just wait it out.

I'm not sure if this is worse than the broken potion balance previously, but it's certainly not much better. Regenerating health also completely ruins the feeling of "will I make it or not?!" when you are really low on health, are totally out of healing items, and trying to make your way back to a safe place, or to the next healing item you can find. Such moments are gone forever as long as regenerating health remains.

- Light item nerfs.

This really ruins end-game characters, and takes things away from the game without offering a new or better alternative. With glowing set armors removed, and the Orb of Light seriously nerfed, it basically means that the first light items you have in the game remain the best and only long term viable light sources in the game. It kinda kills the feeling of progression when the stuff you get in late game no longer significantly improve your experience.

I'll rather have end-game light sources reintroduced, but with trade-offs to balance it up. For example, if the Orb of Light attracts more enemy spawns around you, but retains the same level of usefulness as before, that would be neat. And they could also add an end-game armor set that glows like the molten/meteor sets previously, but with slightly lower stats. I would like to see stuff like that, rather than simply taking away a feature.

- New crafting equipment and craftable furnishings.

Fantastic content addition. I really like most of the additions, and the idea of spreading out what you need to craft certain item types really diversifies the variety and feel of the home base. You have make many really interesting rooms and stuff now. Definitely looking forward to them expanding on this even future in future. This is definitely the right direction to go in.

- Mediumcore difficulty.

This sucks. The concept is great, but the implementation sucks. I really hope they tweak this in the next patch, because I really wanted to play something like this. Right now, when you die you drop -ALL- your items, including anything you have equipped, your weapons, etc.

Now, this on its own is a great idea. The idea of having to go back on a corpse run to recover your stuff like in Diablo 2 seems fun. Except the UI in Terraria (still) sucks, and there are no waypoints, no town portals, etc. And dropping your items means that anyone in the server can loot all your shit. Also, recovering all your items will not auto-equip or auto sort them, meaning you get a ton of reorganizing to do right after the shit. It's a huge hassle, and it's less fun than challenging.

Each time you die, it just reminds you that the game still has horrible inventory management, especially when you start picking up tons of garbage on your way back to recover your lost items, and find that you might not even be able to pick up all the shit when you get there without having to throw out garbage.

I think for Terraria's style of gameplay, it would be better if for Mediumcore, when you die you drop all the items in your inventory, but not the items on your hotbar or anything you have actually equipped. This will encourage the player to leave excess stuff back at home, and it will also punish careless players going too deep on mining runs by not allowing them to take their minerals back with them if they die.

Stitch

Gold Member
yeah most the changes suck. a lot.

already played the game for 45 hours so it was definitely worth the money but with the latest changes I'm pretty much done with the game...

duckroll said:
I think for Terraria's style of gameplay, it would be better if for Mediumcore, when you die you drop all the items in your inventory, but not the items on your hotbar or anything you have actually equipped. This will encourage the player to leave excess stuff back at home, and it will also punish careless players going too deep on mining runs by not allowing them to take their minerals back with them if they die.
I think a good alternative would be a gravestone that, when looted, refilled your inventory with the items you lost upon death - it would be like an inventory sized chest that you couldn't deposit into. On top of that, when looting, in general, Armor/Accessories should auto-equip and Tools/Weapons should auto-fill your hotbar if there are empty slots in the order that you loot them. (Remember with the new bottom-right first loot system your hotbar won't fill up with junk if you run over it by accident)

That would basically take all the headache out of re-sorting your inventory/hotbar after death. It would also help when playing through the game, especially as a new character.

duckroll

Houston3000 said:
I think a good alternative would be a gravestone that, when looted, refilled your inventory with the items you lost upon death - it would be like an inventory sized chest that you couldn't deposit into. On top of that, when looting, in general, Armor/Accessories should auto-equip and Tools/Weapons should auto-fill your hotbar if there are empty slots in the order that you loot them. (Remember with the new bottom-right first loot system your hotbar won't fill up with junk if you run over it by accident)

That would basically take all the headache out of re-sorting your inventory/hotbar after death. It would also help when playing through the game, especially as a new character.

Yeah I think there are various implementations they could work on, all of which would be better than it is now. I had to create a new normal character because I got sick of the mediumcore implementation. The gravestones are cool though:

9EC89DEFEBD93D6E1F61CFFD2F8F1DBB123D92CC

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Blue tweeted:

Terraria_Blue: You can expect a small patch (1.0.6.1) by early next week. Going to be fixing a lot of the new bugs.

I'm hoping the d/c issues everyone's been having on the server is a bug.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I got the game due to the $5 sale on Steam and so far it's extremely addicting.

Creating a shelter inside a mountain just seems so natural... >.<

I created a single player large world - can I transfer my world to multiplayer if I wanted to?

Carcetti

In the long term, is it safer to build a floating fortress or an underground lair for your main base?
Do you want to be killed by harpies or do you want to be killed by worms?

I'm thinking about it, now that I'm starting a new world for the new patch since I wasn't that far in the game anyway. Are either of those more likely to wreck my house? i don't mind dying but I do mind renovating all the time.

duckroll

Carcetti said:
I'm thinking about it, now that I'm starting a new world for the new patch since I wasn't that far in the game anyway. Are either of those more likely to wreck my house? i don't mind dying but I do mind renovating all the time.

Monsters can't impact the environment. You'll probably have some problems while hanging around outside trying to build it, but otherwise it's not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom