• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameratsu

I can't believe I waited so long to buy this game. At $5 this is a steal...

Regarding enemy spawns -- at first it is very annoying, but as you become a better player in terms of skill and equipment, it's less of an issue for me at least.

Shawsie64

Banned
ameratsu said:

Regarding enemy spawns -- at first it is very annoying, but as you become a better player in terms of skill and equipment, it's less of an issue.

Yeah or paying MP with a friend its far easier

ameratsu said:

Regarding enemy spawns -- at first it is very annoying, but as you become a better player in terms of skill and equipment, it's less of an issue for me at least.
It's a steal at $10.

Retro

I don't get the complaint about enemy spawns. I built a fortress in the sky over corruption. I've had to deal with Eaters AND Harpies, not to mention the usual slew of Zombies, Slimes and Demon Eyes that spawn just because I have so much ground up there. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though I am rocking the top weapons in the game.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a player by the name of Alle was accidentally auto-banned by the server for "projectile spamming", which I still have no idea why that's considered a grief/troll trigger. I've unbanned you Alle, so you can come back on. (Again, please let me know if you've been banned! In most cases, its by accident!)

In other news: We've got some meteor impact sites that haven't been cleared out yet, so if anyone needs meteorite, come on down. (I think there's two right now?)

The LogTile plugin that I was testing yesterday, I've disabled for today. It works great, but the problem is that it's a bitch to read the log. Until the info provided becomes a little more user-friendly, doesnt look like we'll be using this plugin on the server for a while.

All right, pool's open, come on in.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
DryvBy2 said:
What's the official Gaf server?

There's two of them now. One that I run, and one that Metalmurphy runs.

For the one I run, the address is: gafterraria.dyndns.org
Ports are: 7777
No Password.

Server Times: 8-ish to Midnight-ish, Easter Standard Time

I might be opening up my server to non gaffers as well, since it seems that only 2 people play there :p, so if you wanna play with gaffers only go for HaRyu's.

Seems like no one wants to start a new character -.-

DryvBy

HaRyu said:
There's two of them now. One that I run, and one that Metalmurphy runs.

For the one I run, the address is: gafterraria.dyndns.org
Ports are: 7777
No Password.

Server Times: 8-ish to Midnight-ish, Easter Standard Time

Cool, I'll try to jump in tonight. My nights are usually Wednesday and Thursday night when I play.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
I might be opening up my server to non gaffers as well, since it seems that only 2 people play there :p, so if you wanna play with gaffers only go for HaRyu's.

Seems like no one wants to start a new character -.-

Actually, lots of non-gaffers come to my server.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Gully State said:
So with the GAF server at its current state, is there any talk of hosting PVP events? Like a castle siege or a heist

Yes. I'm working out the logistics. I "was" going to use a plugin, but from my understanding, it would automatically put everyone on the server in PvP mode, which I'd rather not do (since a few of us only like to be on just to build). Also, the plugin HAS a capture the flag type mode, but there's no "flag" that players can capture, its apparently always invisible. Makes no sense, really.

I'm looking into other options, but when we're ready to start PvP events on the server, I'll let you guys know.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is there going to be a hotfix for the PVE? I don't even feel like playing anymore, I'm not that big of a masochist.

duckroll

So... I dug this express tunnel underground all the way to the far right of the world... and I found this huge empty chasm with jellyfish and random shit falling down from above. I was curious, so I start climbing up to find out why there was no sea....

And I found.....

F325BC6A167F9B2835D95BF20757687050138997

4C9BB8E613AFBB7408B7D6199A7A085EFD3A52D7

WTF! Lololololol.

Ultratech

duckroll said:
So... I dug this express tunnel underground all the way to the far right of the world... and I found this huge empty chasm with jellyfish and random shit falling down from above. I was curious, so I start climbing up to find out why there was no sea....

And I found.....

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541776341500354386/F325BC6A167F9B2835D95BF20757687050138997/img]

[img]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541776341500357932/4C9BB8E613AFBB7408B7D6199A7A085EFD3A52D7//img]

WTF! Lololololol.[/QUOTE]

I've actually had stuff like this happen to me on the server. Whether it was the server's doing or my Internet being crappy, it won't completely load the tile set, so you have weird stuff like that occur.

kazinova

I jumped on the server last night to see what had been built (omg btw) and couldn't figure out how to register to be able to build. Maybe we could get a writeup on the OP of how to register for the server?

Thanks

duckroll

Ultratech said:
I've actually had stuff like this happen to me on the server. Whether it was the server's doing or my Internet being crappy, it won't completely load the tile set, so you have weird stuff like that occur.

Nope, the tileset was completely loaded, the bug is that there's this HUGE span of space on the server which technically shouldn't be there, but it is, and nothing can be there, since it doesn't officially exist. The tunnel I built into the blank area doesn't remain there. When I logged in again, the tunnel just ends at where the world is "supposed" to end (same with the sea as you can see in the pics).

It's kinda awesome, because I can now jump down the void and freefall all the way to hell directly, and just grapple onto the edge of the world before I hit the bottom. Lololol. Lol.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
kazinova said:
I jumped on the server last night to see what had been built (omg btw) and couldn't figure out how to register to be able to build. Maybe we could get a writeup on the OP of how to register for the server?

Thanks

The initial message when you get on the server says" to register, type /rules for more info".

To register:

/register username password

To login after registering:

/login username password

Absolutely loving this game right now. Just made my first Obsidian farm and it kind of looks like a Katamari. I think I need to redesign it though. There are times where the liquids will just float and never drop.
lol.gif

UQkHP.png

duckroll said:
Nope, the tileset was completely loaded, the bug is that there's this HUGE span of space on the server which technically shouldn't be there, but it is, and nothing can be there, since it doesn't officially exist. The tunnel I built into the blank area doesn't remain there. When I logged in again, the tunnel just ends at where the world is "supposed" to end (same with the sea as you can see in the pics).

It's kinda awesome, because I can now jump down the void and freefall all the way to hell directly, and just grapple onto the edge of the world before I hit the bottom. Lololol. Lol.

o_O

Grimm Fandango said:
Y'know, I never understood the need for the collecting area above the main storage area. Does it somehow magically add liquid due to the game's physics?

Yeah, it's an exploit. You drop water and water falls down, however you can fill your bucket with just a tiny bit of water while the rest has already fallen down, hence, creating more water.

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah, it's an exploit. You drop water and water falls down, however you can fill your bucket with just a tiny bit of water while the rest has already fallen down, hence, creating more water.

I know that, I'm talking about the 3 tile area beneath where you dump the bucket.

So is the reason that small area is there in case you can't grab a bucket and don't have to go to the bottom to get more?

Grimm Fandango said:
I know that, I'm talking about the 3 tile area beneath where you dump the bucket.

So is the reason that small area is there in case you can't grab a bucket and don't have to go to the bottom to get more?
Obviously , if you mess up your timing and don't catch the water while it falls then you have a reservoir to refill from.

Enco

Kinda burnt out on this.

My most played game since Oblivion (not sure how lol) but I'll wait for the multiplayer modes before I get back into it.

MrMister said:
Just got an update to Terraria on Steam... but no patch notes.

From the site:

Bug Fixes
Fixed a bug that would cause chests to contain stacks of empty items.
The crafting list now correctly updates after using the container loot buttons.
The direction bathtubs face when placed is now correctly sent to the server. This prevents bathtub duplication issues.
Smashing Obsidian Walls no longer gives Obsidian Ore.
Walls that are automatically placed to fill small gaps are now correctly taken from the player’s inventory.
Fixed a bug that causes Green Slimes to get stuck in the ground and start sinking.
Player ghosts no longer move when typing.
Fixed a bug that would cause mana to sometimes not regenerate when the player has 0 mana.
Slimes no longer chase the player in water when they are not in aggressive mode.
Lesser Restoration Potions and Restoration Potions now only heal for 50/100 life and 50/100 mana.
Lesser Mana Potions and Mana Potions now only restore 50/100 mana.
Changed the way the value of stacked items is rounded to fix selling/buyback inconsistencies.
Some items can now be placed in lava, this includes clay pots and fire blossom seeds.
Fixed a bug that would cause shadow orbs to me smashed during world generation. This was causing meteors to start spawning before the player is at the appropriate gear level.
Generated dirt walls now correctly blend with player placed dirt walls. Player placed dirt walls now have new graphics to differ from generated walls.
Boomerangs now reset correctly when you use your magic mirror if they are still flying.
Mediumcore characters now correctly drop ammo on death.
“Misc” has been reworded to say “Shoes” on the shoes color settings screen.
Item Addition
Added the Sawmill which replaces the Workbench for “advanced” wood crafting. The Workbench is now designated for “basic” wood crafting.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
*yawn* Just woke up from a nap.

If anyone is trying to get on the server, give me a few moments, need to get the patch, as well as the patch for the server mod (looks like its out). Should be up w/in the next half hour.

Oh nvm, that didn't take long at all (only been 3 minutes).

Server back up.

Koomaster

"Added the Sawmill which replaces the Workbench for “advanced” wood crafting. The Workbench is now designated for “basic” wood crafting."

Seriously? What is this business? How many more times are craftable items going to be spread out like this. Eventually we will have to have a separate item for everything we want to craft. Want to create pink vases? Gotta have the glass blowing station. Want to make gold bricks; better have the jeweler's tools. Need torches? Better have a dedicated fire pit. It's starting to get ridiculous.

Retro

Koomaster said:
Seriously? What is this business? How many more times are craftable items going to be spread out like this. Eventually we will have to have a separate item for everything we want to craft. Want to create pink vases? Gotta have the glass blowing station. Want to make gold bricks; better have the jeweler's tools. Need torches? Better have a dedicated fire pit. It's starting to get ridiculous.

I think it's a step in the right direction as there were just way too many items crafted at the Workbench, making the crafting menu too big to sort through quickly. I was surprised they didn't have a 'Furniture Maker's Table' from the start, to keep tools/building supplies and decorative items separate.

Until they make an improved crafting menu (which they haven't mentioned), dividing up the things you make at each station will keep the crafting menu from being overly large.

Vlad

Retro said:
I think it's a step in the right direction as there were just way too many items crafted at the Workbench, making the crafting menu too big to sort through quickly. I was surprised they didn't have a 'Furniture Maker's Table' from the start, to keep tools/building supplies and decorative items separate.

Until they make an improved crafting menu (which they haven't mentioned), dividing up the things you make at each station will keep the crafting menu from being overly large.

This, this, a million times this.

One thing that really bugs the heck out of me is how slow it is to trudge through the crafting menu. It also doesn't help that I like to keep all my crafting stuff (furnaces, alchemy stations, crafting tables, etc) in the same area, so I end up standing within range of all of them at the same time, increasing the amount of stuff I've got to sift through to get at what I want. Of course, that's more of an issue with my own interior design than anything else.

Still, I'd like to see a bit of an overhaul to the inventory screen. Put the armor/accessories stuff in smaller boxes next to the money and ammo slots, and make the crafting menu just display everything currently craftable in the current space without requiring the need for scrolling.

Mergesort said:
You should change your design to something like this:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560915998851691095/ACBF467684B2D94D884C03334F2C2D83DED37159/[/MG]

Not my generator(found on google)[/QUOTE]

Great idea. :D

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4QWvC.png

Worked like a gem. Funny thing is, right after I did this, I found 750 Obsidian in an Underground Jungle.

Metalmurphy said:
The craft menu should be another 5x5 grid with all the stuff in it imo.

I agree.

Retro

In case anyone is curious, I kind of blew my Terraria load after 1.0.6 hit with my giant sky castle. It's not that I am sick of playing, just that I reached a point where I ran out of ideas for stuff and found myself just making generic rooms everywhere.

So, I decided to take a break from it again and should probably be on this weekend.

And yes, I am aware a meteor hit my castle. I'll fix it.

Metalmurphy said:
The craft menu should be another 5x5 grid with all the stuff in it imo.

Ideally, there should never be more than 25 items you can craft at a single workstation, so instead of being a menu, it's more like a 'shop', with all the items you can craft at that shop are always displayed (mouse over to show material 'price'). That would mean making additional workstations, but I am all in favor of that as it means more furniture.

Pretty sure you could get everything narrowed down to 25 items or less.

Ultratech

Yeah...every time I've been getting on lately, there's only 1-2 people on.
Did manage to find some Feral Claws and 2 of those Flowers that reduce Mana usage while tunneling through the Jungle.

@Retro: I mined some of the Meteor that hit your castle. Didn't get it all, but most of it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Vlad said:
This, this, a million times this.

One thing that really bugs the heck out of me is how slow it is to trudge through the crafting menu. It also doesn't help that I like to keep all my crafting stuff (furnaces, alchemy stations, crafting tables, etc) in the same area, so I end up standing within range of all of them at the same time, increasing the amount of stuff I've got to sift through to get at what I want. Of course, that's more of an issue with my own interior design than anything else.

I did this and I thought it was very clever:
GT5bV.png

Using the workbench as my floor and putting the anvil above it, on a wooden platform.

Since we're comparing Obsidian Farms, here's mine:

UfgrB.png

Edit: I just noticed that my "clever" workbench layout shows up in both pictures. Oh well.

Good idea on putting a chest and hellforge in your farm.

*kentucky voice* I say, good sir, that is a mighty fine top hat you got there!

Ultratech said:
@Retro: I mined some of the Meteor that hit your castle. Didn't get it all, but most of it.

Errr Its possible for a meteor to hit your settlements?! If I build a Skybridge above it, will it protect my home?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Good idea on putting a chest and hellforge in your farm.

*kentucky voice* I say, good sir, that is a mighty fine top hat you got there!

Errr Its possible for a meteor to hit your settlements?! If I build a Skybridge above it, will it protect my home?

Yes and No.

A meteor can hit anywhere, however, it will never hit in a place in direct view (its always offscreen, even if its just off screen, its still always offscreen.

Building a skybridge, or some sort of protective barrier (on the server, we have the Nyancat Barrier), will protect stuff on the surface. The drawback being is that if the barrier isnt that thick, it wont leave behind a lot of meteorite. If you dont really care, then a 1 block thick barrier is good enough, really.

Giard

Is this thread dead? Been a while since any posts.

I was wondering if anyone got multiples of the same NPC. On my multi server, we now have 2 merchants and 2 nurses. Is this normal or a bug?

Atomski

Giard said:
Is this thread dead? Been a while since any posts.

Last update was kinda boring. I expected more endgame stuff but really they just added more visual stuff to build. Once I completed a new castle I haven't had much else to do..

Hopefully they will add more endgame content and some PVP stuff would be awesome.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Atomski said:
Last update was kinda boring. I expected more endgame stuff but really they just added more visual stuff to build. Once I completed a new castle I haven't had much else to do..

Hopefully they will add more endgame content and some PVP stuff would be awesome.

That pretty much sums it up for most of us, I think. The only major thing they added was new furniture, and that wasn't too hard to gather.

Server has been awfully quiet lately too. *sigh*

Oh, I've got an idea for the server, I'll let you guys know after I get things setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom