• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I blew my load early when 1.0.6 hit and basically built all of my crazy ideas into one huge floating castle. The problem is, I ran out of ideas, so... yeah. I had planned to start a new character from scratch, but I just haven't had the drive lately.

I've been replaying Rondo of Blood, thanks to the most Castlevania thread.

atre324

Ditto... I spammed the NPC for recipes and spent around 30 minutes just building all the new furnishings with the scads of materials I already had in storage from my previous 200 hours of play. Fitting the new stuff into my existing house took the most time, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Other than that there's not much draw for me, I contemplated farming a Shadow Key but I don't really need anything from chests anymore lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I haven't played this since the patch that introduced sticky bombs. It'll be like a whole new game if I ever pick it up again.

I really wish this game had 2 things:

1) Power (Mechanical, Electrical, Hydraulic) - Things like levers, switches, wires, motion detectors, ropes, pressure plates, pulleys, anchors, pistons, generators, repeaters, pipes, valves, pumps, etc...

2) Mod Support

I hate to make comparisons but that's what keeps Minecraft relevant after all this time. Add the ability for some die-hard nerd to manually create a 16-bit Arithmetic Logic Unit from within the game and they'd be set for life.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Xenoblade. :p
The inevitable trickle of update news is starting to kick in again. Tiy posted this earlier:

Tiyuri
The 1.1 update is looking amazing, so much high level stuff to do!

Although this doesn't prove anything, lets hope that 1.1 is the next update, not a 1.0.7.

Retro

Redigit said:
I was playing around with "hardmode" corruption today. After setting the world update rate to 100x the corruption spread across a desert, through the jungle, and completely swallowed up one of the oceans. Luckily I was able to stop it on the other side of the world by planting some Hallowed Seeds. Fun times.

2rr2zhi.jpg

Oh yeah, I also found some Cobalt Ore...
2rm9qx0.jpg

Obviously a new sword there too, unless I'm forgetting one. Pretty sure I'm not.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Houston3000 said:
I really wish this game had 2 things:

1) Power (Mechanical, Electrical, Hydraulic) - Things like levers, switches, wires, motion detectors, ropes, pressure plates, pulleys, anchors, pistons, generators, repeaters, pipes, valves, pumps, etc...

2) Mod Support

I hate to make comparisons but that's what keeps Minecraft relevant after all this time. Add the ability for some die-hard nerd to manually create a 16-bit Arithmetic Logic Unit from within the game and they'd be set for life.

Mod support wont happen, as they have mentioned multiple times already. But yeah, they severely need a good traps/mechanics system.

Retro

Looks like at least one part of 1.1 won't require the generation of a new world;

Redigit said:
The new ores will be placed in your world after accomplishing a specific task. You will of course have to find them on your own, though the creatures you encounter underground won't be so easy this time around...

The hallowed seeds are one of the ways to create a new biome that will help to stop the spread of the corruption.

So, it sounds like there's some kind of mechanism that will suddenly make your world switch over to 'hardmode' with rampant corruption, tougher enemies, but new ore scattered around.

... in other words, you reach a point in the game where you flip a switch and suddenly your whole world is 'end game' mode.

Interesting; they don't have to generate a new world or biome, they just change the world you already have. This might also point towards the game no longer requiring a new world generation each patch (which people have been screaming about since, well... forever).

Ultratech

Retro said:
So, it sounds like there's some kind of mechanism that will suddenly make your world switch over to 'hardmode' with rampant corruption, tougher enemies, but new ore scattered around.

... in other words, you reach a point in the game where you flip a switch and suddenly your whole world is 'end game' mode.

Interesting; they don't have to generate a new world or biome, they just change the world you already have. This might also point towards the game no longer requiring a new world generation each patch (which people have been screaming about since, well... forever).

Sounds pretty interesting. Hadn't been on lately, but if they're actively working on 1.1, I'm very tempted to get back on again.

Wonder what other little surprises they've got in store for us...

Hawk SE

I love Terraria, and love how you can make your own Castlevania in many ways (among a plethora of other things).

But how awesome would it be if you had Terraria: Space where you could replicate the look and feel (weapons too) of Metroid?

dalin80

Banned
Give me a enemy spawn rate slider so i can bring back down to a enjoyable level and i might start playing again, game has become far too combat orientated.

Retro

Hawk xSx said:
I love Terraria, and love how you can make your own Castlevania in many ways (among a plethora of other things).

But how awesome would it be if you had Terraria: Space where you could replicate the look and feel (weapons too) of Metroid?

I've been wanting a Samus costume, Arm Cannon weapon (it would work for a Mega Man costume too) and more mechanical / steampunk bits for a while. There must be at least 20 threads about it at their forums. Hopefully it's coming soon.

Ohhh nice updates so far.

C'mon mechanical devices! Me want an elevator or warp device. A mine cart would be awesome too like someone previously mentioned. Kinda like a movable treasure chest.

Ultratech

Grimm Fandango said:
Ohhh nice updates so far.

C'mon mechanical devices! Me want an elevator or warp device. A mine cart would be awesome too like someone previously mentioned. Kinda like a movable treasure chest.

Vehicles would be kinda cool. Like a little drill machine or mini-tank, nothing huge or anything. Make 'em craftable and give 'em HP. Would probably take a lot of work to fine-tune them for the game.

balddemon

Banned
I need to start playing this (and other PC games) again lol. The only thing stopping me is my horribly messy room. There's no space for me to sit on my couch or walk since it's all covered with clothes/crap...I'm still hyped to play that last patch. Anything totally awesome?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
And more breaking news:

holywater.png

Okay, assuming what we're seeing aren't redesigned items (but they might be, so keep that in mind), I see:

-new sword
-a new spear/glaive
-drill (huzzah)
-chainsaw?
-new hammer
-new flail
-holy water
-red armor set
-new boots
-two new shields?
-a NES cartridge
-a diver's mask

Retro

There's a lot going on in that image.

On-screen:

First, he's chucking bottles of Holy Water. You can see the splashes / shards and it appears to be turning the material it hits into a different material type. Since there's Ebonstone around, I'm thinking maybe the Holy Water is used to 'purify' Demonite into, say "Angel-ite", which explains the 'Holy look' of the new sword and hammer. They look like angelic weapons.

Not sure what's up with the Holy Water itself; it doesn't appear to be in the inventory, but one is clearly being thrown. There's a larger bottle of the Holy Water with "165" over it, so perhaps they are changing the method for using missile weapons; you pick them up and can 'throw' them at any time.

Nevermind: "You can now directly use items that are being held with your mouse (instead of always dropping it.) This also enables you to place items without putting them on your hotbar first. "

Guess that will make placing Torches easier too.

Second, the armor is red; something we haven't seen before, alluding to yet another new material type. It's also used on three inventory items (Polearm, drill, 'chainsaw').

Is that a new background too? It looks like the rocky layer, but corrupted.

Player sprite has some degree of flicker on him, not sure what that's from, could be anything.

Inventory:

Obvious new Sword, Polearm, Hammer, Mace (looks like the Morning Star, could this be their "Castlevania"-themed pack? I was hoping for Metroid first =p).

Odd placement of the Orb of Light, right there in the second slot. Maybe it won't suck anymore?

We've known about Drills before, this is just a new look.

The "Chainsaw" in the 5th slot looks more like a rifle barrel to me, plus he's carrying bullets but no other gun. He's carrying arrows too, but now Bow, so I could be wrong.

The Bottle in the 9th slot doesn't match the holy water he's throwing, so I have no idea what that could be. Maybe it's a new potion type or 'Evil Water' used to corrupt? No clue.

He also appears to be carrying 220 of some soft blue dirt I don't remember seeing before.

Equipment:
New Boots, perhaps an upgraded version of the Hermes boots. The blue color makes me think 'water-walking', but that's just a random guess. For all we know, they could just have liked the color blue.

Looks like some kind of inverted teardrop or crystal, not sure what's up with that. Some people have suggested it's a "Cloud in a Balloon", a combination of Shiny Red Balloon and Cloud in a Bottle.

Could be a new icon for the Depth Meter, or some kind of other meter... Perhaps a Geiger Counter for detecting radioactive material deposits? Maybe that's what he's using the Holy Water to purify; some kind of highly dangerous material.

Not sure what's up with the snorkel-looking thing. It may be it's just that; a new accessory-version of the Diving Mask.

New Shield too, no idea what it could be for. Symbol doesn't ring a bell either.

IceMarker

My god, this really already does feel like a truely major content update worthy of the mercurial number 1.1! Huzzah for consistency and henceforth!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Guess what time is it?

ADVENTURE TIME!

No... Terraria news update. Why would it be Adventure Time?

werewolf.png

Awoooo.

Retro

Wow.

- Multi-colored trees (Autumn? Enchanted?)
- New grass shade (semi-corrupted? Enchanted?)
- Lycanthropy (assuming that's the player)
- Fairy Familiar (assuming the above)

Full Moon seems to suggest Lycanthropy too. Fairy Familiar also appears to be the only light source unless the player has a potion active as well.

Unicorn seems to fit as an 'enchanted' creature. Maybe they're doing a whole Fairy Tale theme.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Any hints as to when this'll hit? I haven't played in awhile (got burnt out), but I'd love to start over when beefy content hits.

Enco

Lyphen said:
Any hints as to when this'll hit? I haven't played in awhile (got burnt out), but I'd love to start over when beefy content hits.
This.

I really want mp. I always burn out with these types of games.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:

Well, they have been saying that 1.1 is suppose to be an "expansion".

There's no indication that what they've been showing off is 1.1, it could be 1.0.8 for all we know, but I suspect that it'll probably be 1.1 that we're getting next.

Darklord

Banned
I hope there are some new bosses. I want to start a new world but it's annoying having to get all the NPC's again, will they show up if you bring your main character in?

Eternia

I wouldn't mind the ability to allow/block generic villagers or guards to join your towns. I have a bunch of grand ideas to build but I'm putoff by how barren they would all feel. Just have a signpost to 'toggle' vacancies and that would be super.

I hope the next update brings something nice nonetheless.

Retro

Lyphen said:

Werewolves, Holy Water, Whips... Halloween-ish, maybe (Though I hope before then).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
I hope there are some new bosses. I want to start a new world but it's annoying having to get all the NPC's again, will they show up if you bring your main character in?

If you already have a character built up (and at this point, its no excuse not to have a character that's built up by now), if you make a new world, as long as you use a character that meets the requirements for each NPC, you're good. (minimum number of HP, how much cash the character has, character must be carrying a gun, character must be carrying a bomb).

The only two NPCs you have to do a little work for would be the Dryad (go kill a boss) and the Clothier (go kill Skeletron).

Once you have the NPCs you want, just make a new character and pop him into the world.

Retro

New colored lighting; http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/lighting-update.57631/

Redigit said:
I spent the last few days updating the lighting system to allow light based on RGB values. It's still pretty rough right now, but I think it is looking pretty good so far. There is a small performance hit, so it is of course going to be an optional setting.
Old:
light-a1.png

New:
light-a2.png

Redigit said:
I think the next thing I want to add is a gem + torch recipe to make colored lights.

It also looks like the Red Armor from the last screenshot is now less mech-looking and more mythological-looking with wings instead of weird jet-exhaust-looking things.

One More, cuz it looks so goooooood....
lightb.png

Retro

I'm looking forward to colored light objects (lamps, etc.) for aesthetics. I can't say I will use them everywhere, but I would love to have my Alchemy Laboratory lit with ghastly green light, my library lit with soft golden candles and my shrines and churches lit with soft blue.

I hope they make all of the lighting soft, and allow it to grow harsher by adding multiple lights in the same area. Some of those colors are just a bit too extreme. I also hope they don't change the color of the lights already in the game, or I'm gonna have to go back and replace a ton of them.

vareon

Everytime this thread is bumped my heart skipped a bit. So many good hours in this game. Wanted to go back but I'm waiting for...I don't know.

Retro

vareon said:
Everytime this thread is bumped my heart skipped a bit. So many good hours in this game. Wanted to go back but I'm waiting for...I don't know.

I'm seeing 1.1 being released before Halloween; I base this on the fact that there's lots of horror-themed stuff in it and absolutely nothing else. It's worth repeating that 1.1 has been called a full-fledged expansion of the original game, rather than just a content update.

Again, I'm just guessing and basing this on what we've heard from the developers so far so I can't say for certain, but I would expect very big things in Terraria in the next month or so.

Wired

Retro said:
I'm seeing 1.1 being released before Halloween; I base this on the fact that there's lots of horror-themed stuff in it and absolutely nothing else. It's worth repeating that 1.1 has been called a full-fledged expansion of the original game, rather than just a content update.

Again, I'm just guessing and basing this on what we've heard from the developers so far so I can't say for certain, but I would expect very big things in Terraria in the next month or so.

Hope you are right, maybe then I can find a reason to get back to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom