• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vek

You could make some dirt walls at both edges of your screen/plot of land to block them out.
Next to those walls I like to dig a small hole that they fall into but can't jump out of, and when a critical mass is collected, I pour lava over them :D

markot said:
Can I build turrets or something so zombies leave me alone when I am trying to build my house >_<?!

(Just started playing the game for the first time)

So... hmm. how do I get gear? I know how to make stuff, but how do I get armour and crap so im less squishy?

Also should I play single player or what >.<?

Mine for materials and then build it. Check out the Terraria wiki for order of strength for ore.

vareon

Lol good work Retro, first thing I saw when I entered the thread is a huge FFFFUUUUUUUU-

Oh well, time to get occupied with other games for a while.

Retro

markot said:
Can I build turrets or something so zombies leave me alone when I am trying to build my house >_<?!

When you're first starting out, dig at night, build during the day. Zombies and Demon Eyes are much tougher than the slimes you'll fight during daylight, so just dig down and look for ore and then build a bit when you return to the surface.

markot said:
(Just started playing the game for the first time)

So... hmm. how do I get gear? I know how to make stuff, but how do I get armour and crap so im less squishy?

Also should I play single player or what >.<?

We set up a brief tutorial on the GAF server; gafterraria.dyndns.org

At the very least you'll walk out with some gimmie materials / weapons and have a general knowledge of the game, plus be able to ask advice directly.With there not being a lot going on, chances are someone (i.e. me) will be more than happy to hang out and show you the ropes a bit.

I'll be off and on through the day.

vareon said:
Lol good work Retro, first thing I saw when I entered the thread is a huge FFFFUUUUUUUU-

Oh well, time to get occupied with other games for a while.

Well, as I said, it's annoying seeing all of these awesome things and knowing they're further away than I thought (I seriously was thinking October). But, as Grimm pointed out, there's already a shitload of games coming out this autumn. It will be nice to know that after the Demon Souls / Gears of War / Halo CE:A / Skyward Sword / Skyrim / etc. madness starts to slow down a bit, a free Terraria Expansion will be waiting.

And that's definitely not a FFUUUUUUUUU- moment.

Grinchy

Banned
Retro said:
I would add one additional note when using TEdit2: it cannot copy chest contents. If you try to do something as move a building a few tiles to the right, whatever was inside any chests you copied will be gone for good.

And, as HaRyu said, using a map editor sucks the fun out of building, which for me is like 90% of the game. Apart from major terrain projects and moving buildings around (for example, if I want to put in a cool bridge but I'm one tile shy of perfect), I don't use the map editor at all. I haven't even bothered to import old buildings (I prefer to build anew anyways).
Wow that's good to know. As far as building with an editor, I'm the kind of guy who will annoy everyone in the Minecraft thread because I like it as vanilla as humanly possible. I can't see myself building anything in either of these games with an editor. Without death and challenge, what's the point?

And maybe no update until December? I know everyone else will be pissed by that, but I'm just glad to know that I can make a new world now.

Retro

Grinchy said:
And maybe no update until December? I know everyone else will be pissed by that, but I'm just glad to know that I can make a new world now.

Or build something on the GAF server...
So lonely...

Retro

LDk0t.png

The pink thing is some kind of enchanted hammer enemy, you can see it in the video below. It is definitely not friendly.

NPZDj.png

Windows and (I'm guessing) Mithril Bricks.

ulqma.png

n7EDL.png

Holy shit, a video too!

Those spectres or whatever look badass.

Also I'm really curious about the new (?) rocket boots in the video. We saw a glimpse of them in a picture a few weeks back.

Retro

Grimm Fandango said:
Those spectres or whatever look badass.

Also I'm really curious about the new (?) rocket boots in the video. We saw a glimpse of them in a picture a few weeks back.

I'm not so sure they are new; perhaps a new color scheme is in place so mobility items are blue, combat are red, magic are green, etc. In that screen, the Cloud in a Bottle and Rocket Boots both have blue effects, but they're not draining mana, for whatever that's worth.

Also, catching a few things I didn't see earlier:

ulqma.png

New "Buster Sword" in the 5th slot, for those looking to complete the Cloud Strife look.
"Holy Water" stacks up to 250 at least.
Some kind of Silver Bell in the 8th slot. Unintended reference to a Christmas release date?

Retro

No official updates, sadly; sorry to get everyone's hopes up with a bump.

2u3wit2.jpg

However, I've been bored lately so I added a ton of stuff, including the Graveyard above, a half-dozen or so random towers across the landscape, and some major upgrades to the above-ground jungle (left of spawn).

There's 2 platinum floating around in said jungle area; one each in two chests. And since money is always good (even if you don't have anything to spend it on yet), you might as well log on and get it. Not like 1.1 is going to break money, right?

gafterraria.dyndns.org / port: 7777 .... happy hunting (well.... for the next hour or so, then the server goes down until 8 AM eastern tomorrow).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Man, they made hell a lot harder since the last time I played (months ago). Was trying to show a friend how to play multiplayer last night on one of my old worlds and the mobs down there coupled with the healing cool down was insane.

Retro

balddemon said:
Maybe I"m retarded but ican't get on the server using either the direct IP or the gafterraria.dyndns.org thing. Is it uP?

gafterraria.dyndns.org works fine for me, connects me right to GAF server.

MrMister said:
You do realize I played Terraria on a mediumcore character for 18 hours straight yesterday.

Yeah, but you're not on the GAFServer so I'm all lonely =(

balddemon

Banned
youtube comments said:
is&#65279; there is a release date?
ThisIsDex 11 minutes ago

@ThisIsDex It's looking to be somewhere between November and December&#65279; right now.
demilogic 9 minutes ago

That loooks cool. I like that drill he used...looks a lot easier than a pickaxe lol.

Brazil said:

FUUUUUUU- that was great. So many additions already that are worthy of 1.1

Thoughts:
-torches/glowsticks have own dedicated key like grapple hook
-I want that rocket launcher
-drill is fast and sweet
-new lighting looks great in motion
-new ore (cobalt, mythril, adamantite) seems to form like a meteorite crash? I hope finding them underground won't be too aggravating
-grapple hook has longer reach now? Go to 2:00 and see.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Time for some analysis!

-Looks like they're gonna give us the dummies so we can display our armor.

-Wooden pillars are new. We (well, when I say "we" I mean "Retro") built a structure on the server that has faux pillars (a treehouse). Looks like Retro is gonna have new crap to play with in building. ^O^

-The new backdrop effect is awesome, makes you wonder if they'll change when you hit the any other biomes on the surface.

-I see a harp?

-Looks like they're giving us glass walls, so now we dont have to have the big glaring holes in our buildings anymore. I wonder if they're gonna give us stained glass to play with too.

-EDIT: and I just saw the post on the actual Terraria forums. Someone pointed out that there's a new rod/wand, and there's new statues (gargoyles?). Also looks like they fixed the wall blending issues.

Salsa

Man i wonder if its time to go back. After playing 30 hours back when it came out i still think there's not enough incentive..

Retro

Wow... more importantly, what else is hiding in those images...
Left to right in image one (daylight):

1. Those are some thin Wood Walls creating the columns there. I wonder if the wall system is being overhauled to allow single tile placement rather than the big clumps they appear in now.

2. Angel Statues have a purpose now, it seems.

3. The Wood tiles are blending into dirt, as does the Grey Brick... looks like everything is finally going to blend nicely.

4. Mithril Armor standing alone means armor stands or mannequins, finally.

5. Glass background walls, finally.

6. Gargoyle / Gryphon statue.

7. More smooth transitions between Wall objects; the dark brick is only a single tile wide and there don't appear to be any gaps as normally would occur with wood walls. Yay for indoor chimneys without strange glitches.

8. A new background in the basement; rocks with wooden barriers holding them in place. Interesting.

9. More armor stands/mannequins in the basement too.

10. Is it just me, or does the player sprite here appear to be wearing some kind of white backpack?

11. Another statue, but facing the player.

12. Cobalt Armor on display.

Left to right in image two (Blood Moon):

1. The Hotbar has Excalibur, Clockwork Assault Rifle, Adamantite Chainsaw, and Adamantite Glaive in the first 4 slots. Dirt Block in slot 6, Adamantite Drill in 7. No idea what's in slot 5 (looks like an Adamantite version of the Mithril Repeater we saw earlier to me), slot 8 has something called a Rainbow Rod in it (new caster weapon?). Slot 9 appears to be a blue version of the Rainbow Rod, and slot 0 appears to be a ... harp?

2. 60/47 (100%) Could this be a quest tracker, counting the number of enemies the player has slain (for example, Demon Eyes?) towards reaching his goal? 47 seems like an odd number of targets to slay, but it could just be for testing purposes.

3. Chain Lanterns appear to give off a greenish glow now. Neat.

I love these little teasers, speculating about stuff at least helps alleviate the wait.

SalsaShark said:
Man i wonder if its time to go back. After playing 30 hours back when it came out i still think there's not enough incentive..

When did you stop playing? They've added a lot since 'when it came out', including alchemy and plants, vanity items, more weapons, better dungeons, more furniture, harder bosses, more enemies... lots of stuff. And they polished the way Corruption and Jungles are added into the world so it's a little more interesting.

I'm waiting until the next patch to really dig into it, and I would hope most of the people we had dropping by the GAF server every day will come back to experience all the cool stuff we're apparently getting. The servers are best when everyone is on, goofing off, doing side projects and having fun.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Wow... more importantly, what else is hiding in those images... Left to right in image one (daylight):

1. Those are some thin Wood Walls creating the columns there. I wonder if the wall system is being overhauled to allow single tile placement rather than the big clumps they appear in now.

2. Angel Statues have a purpose now, it seems.

3. The Wood tiles are blending into dirt, as does the Grey Brick... looks like everything is finally going to blend nicely.

4. Mithril Armor standing alone means armor stands or mannequins, finally.

5. Glass background walls, finally.

6. Gargoyle / Gryphon statue.

7. More smooth transitions between Wall objects; the dark brick is only a single tile wide and there don't appear to be any gaps as normally would occur with wood walls. Yay for indoor chimneys without strange glitches.

8. A new background in the basement; rocks with wooden barriers holding them in place. Interesting.

9. More armor stands/mannequins in the basement too.

10. Is it just me, or does the player sprite here appear to be wearing some kind of white backpack?

11. Another statue, but facing the player.

12. Cobalt Armor on display.

Left to right in image two (Blood Moon):

1. The Hotbar has Excalibur, Clockwork Assault Rifle, Adamantite Chainsaw, and Adamantite Glaive in the first 4 slots. Dirt Block in slot 6, Adamantite Drill in 7. No idea what's in slot 5 (looks like an Adamantite version of the Mithril Repeater we saw earlier to me), slot 8 has something called a Rainbow Rod in it (new caster weapon?). Slot 9 appears to be a blue version of the Rainbow Rod, and slot 0 appears to be a ... harp?

2. 60/47 (100%) Could this be a quest tracker, counting the number of enemies the player has slain (for example, Demon Eyes?) towards reaching his goal? 47 seems like an odd number of targets to slay, but it could just be for testing purposes.

3. Chain Lanterns appear to give off a greenish glow now. Neat.

I love these little teasers, speculating about stuff at least helps alleviate the wait.

*shakes fist* YOU AND YOUR DAMN EYES THAT CAN SEE INTO FOREVER!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice write-ups, I didn't notice half of that stuff. Strangely I'm most excited about being able to add those glass windows to my structures, it looks so cool. November/December release is fine with me since I plan on getting back to this once the holiday rush blows over.

Retro

Once again, for reference:
Redigit said:
I haven't brought up the release date because I simply don't know yet. There are a lot of things planned for this update, and just because of it's nature, it doesn't make sense to split it up in to smaller parts. You might think of it as being a (free) expansion pack.

The best I can give you for it's release is that it probably won't be any sooner then November, and quite possibly sometime in December. (sauce)

In the meantime, you can hit up the GAF server to see what's up.. my floating island is complete, I built two pyramids (near the Dungeon), added some stuff in the jungle... so... if you're itching to play, there's stuff to see there.

HaRyu said:
*shakes fist* YOU AND YOUR DAMN EYES THAT CAN SEE INTO FOREVER!

Hey, I systematically scanned the images for new stuff because I'm crazy. Don't envy my sickness.

Snuggler said:
Nice write-ups, I didn't notice half of that stuff. Strangely I'm most excited about being able to add those glass windows to my structures, it looks so cool. November/December release is fine with me since I plan on getting back to this once the holiday rush blows over.

Thanks. As someone who has spent 80% of his time just building shit, I agree; seeing the way building materials and walls blend, the (possibly) new approach to walls, as well as glass windows are already giving me so many ideas on how to build new structures that I'm tempted to get on the GAF server and just try things out even though I know they won't actually work.

As for the Holiday Rush, I'm picking up Skyward Sword and Halo: CEA, and I'm considering picking up Dark Souls since I have a little disposable income (thanks to Agent Whiskers, if you haven't been to his thread; jumpawnit.). I may wait on Dark Souls however since those two are likely to occupy more than enough time until Christmas... and Terraria will devour my soul the minute it comes out regardless of where I am in the other two (yeah, I would wait on Zelda to play Terraria, wtf is wrong with me?)

Gravijah said:

Sounds like a few people have had similar problems on their forums, I would try Niro's advice, or just uninstall and reinstall the game (after copying your data files, of course)?

Terraria is honestly shaping up to be one of my favorite games (especially for the price). I'm looking forward to Skyrim the most, Arkham city next and then the 1.1 update to a $10 2d indie game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Themacabre said:
Terraria is honestly shaping up to be one of my favorite games (especially for the price). I'm looking forward to Skyrim the most, Arkham city next and then the 1.1 update to a $10 2d indie game.

It's my most played game of 2011 so far, and easily one of my favorites too. I haven't played it much lately but it's sure to be a game I'll revisit often in the future.

IceMarker

Oh god I thought I had 100 good hours clocked in for 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 but 1.1.0 looks like it's gonna force my steam clock to turn over 200-300 hours!

vareon

HaRyu said:
Time for some analysis!

-Looks like they're gonna give us the dummies so we can display our armor.

-Wooden pillars are new. We (well, when I say "we" I mean "Retro") built a structure on the server that has faux pillars (a treehouse). Looks like Retro is gonna have new crap to play with in building. ^O^

-The new backdrop effect is awesome, makes you wonder if they'll change when you hit the any other biomes on the surface.

-I see a harp?

-Looks like they're giving us glass walls, so now we dont have to have the big glaring holes in our buildings anymore. I wonder if they're gonna give us stained glass to play with too.

-EDIT: and I just saw the post on the actual Terraria forums. Someone pointed out that there's a new rod/wand, and there's new statues (gargoyles?). Also looks like they fixed the wall blending issues.

YYYEEEEESSSSS

As someone who's been playing a lot of Minecraft lately it's interesting to me how these two games are handling updates. Back when Terraria launched it was being updated constantly, like once every week or two while Minecraft had simply been sticking to 1.7. Now Minecraft has been having content patches every couple of weeks or more and Terraria has been stuck at 1.0.6 for ages. It also seems that this huge update is going to coincide very closely to the full release of Minecraft. Assuming at which point Minecraft updates will slow down again (since it'll no longer be in beta) and Terraria will pick up steam and more content patches will be released in relatively quick succession.

Not really comparing the games, I love them both, I just find it funny how their patch cycles are going back and forth like that.

Retro

Gyah, picking up Batman: AC at K-mart today so I can get the $30 off coupon to spend on Halo:CE A a week before Skyward Sword comes out... looks like the Autumn Rush is officially starting for me today, with Terraria the big question mark hanging over everything else. I love being a gamer in the fall, but this year is special for me with Terraria 1.1 as the Indie Icing on my Blockbuster Cake. Might actually give 1998 a run for it's money as Best Year Ever.

Houston3000 said:
Not really comparing the games, I love them both, I just find it funny how their patch cycles are going back and forth like that.

Yeah, I know Redigit has said that he talks to Notch occasionally; maybe they purposely try to juggle patches so they're not stepping on each other's audience.

I don't understand the constant back-and-forth hate between Terraria and Minecraft. Beyond digging and building, they're practically different games; Terraria is more about combat and loot in retro 2-D while Minecraft strikes me as more build-and-exploration centric in a charming 3-D style.

As far as I'm concerned, the debate was over before it got started when Notch gave his approval of Terraria; if the developers are on decent terms, there's no reason to fight.

/rant

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Retro said:
I don't understand the constant back-and-forth hate between Terraria and Minecraft. Beyond digging and building, they're practically different games; Terraria is more about combat and loot in retro 2-D while Minecraft strikes me as more build-and-exploration centric in a charming 3-D style.

At one point they were much closer to each other, but Terraria has since pulled away greatly and become a game very much of it's own. Terraria just has so much more little things that Minecraft does not have, while Minecraft has the 3D immersive survival/horror side to it that Terraria just can't mimick. I can see why they were compared to each other at one point, but not anymore. They are both great games.

I prefer Minecraft myself though. LOL

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
eternalthree said:
How may i request a room at the tower in gafterraria ?

Server Admin here. PM me your user name on the server (you have to register), and what room you want.

And doh, I just realized I havent turned on the server today.

Retro

Just a heads up:Terraria is 50% off during Steam's Halloween sale.

Tiy also tweeted earlier this week about playing a beta of 1.1, so they may be done adding new crap and are preparing too release (though how long they test is anyone's guess).

In other words, if you still haven't given Terraria a try (and why the hell not?), there's no better time than now.

Retro

Fuck. YES.

Tiyuri said:
Terraria 1.1 now has working mechanics, making traps sure is fun! The possibilities are endless.

Wires only appear when you're holding your wrench item. So you can wire up your house without making it ugly! (Source)

Based on this image, there are switches, wires (possibly explosive if this 'trap' is to work), round boulders, single tile backgrounds (look at the dark background stone on the left side of the 'trap'), a "Wrench" item and another shot of the player with a backpack/jetpack/wings.

Hopefully there are pressure switches as well for automatic doors and such.

Fuck Yeah.

Edit: cropped the image because it was originally huge, click it for full-size (though it's mostly just empty terrain).

Retro

Sgt.Pepper said:
This update is taking waaaay too long.

November, possibly December. We're in the launch window now, at least.

hayguyz said:
Is every session in this game different or does it save states?
Whenever you leave a world, both it and your character's progress are saved. If your character is set to a Bed, you'll also spawn at that location (otherwise you load at the default starting point). But everything you built, found or dug is saved.

It also has an auto-save feature (set to 10 minutes) which can be disabled in the options if it causes performance drops.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo traps.

Retro's already seen my preliminary plans for boobytrapping the server, the new news about the update will only make things easier.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

balddemon

Banned
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/bunny-power.61945/

Dec 1stttttttttttttt

Sorry for the long wait since our last post. Even though we've been pretty quiet the last few weeks, we've been very busy getting the game ready for the next update. Right now, we are aiming for a December 1st release.

The new hell boss, Wall of Flesh, is pretty much finished along with two out of three hard versions of the older bosses. You are definitely going to want to bring a friend along if you hope to have a chance against them.

We've also been finishing up a new mechanics system that will allow the players to create some interesting devices. Though, they are still very much a work in progress. Here are a few that I've come up with while playing around today:

Gel Factory
GPQcc.png

Skeet Shoot
2G6KA.png

Du7dl.png

Of course, you're going to want something to do with all the gel you've collected...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom