• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, the patch sounds awesome (torching unicorns, fuck yeah) and Dec 1st is the perfect time to get back to this.

Retro

balddemon said:

jTEBW.gif

Now I know when I need to finish Skyward Sword by, approximately.

Love all the new stuff too, the statues spawning critters is a nice touch. Hopefully there are 'invisible' buttons (since they currently show up even without a wrench) so we can have stuff like... well.... death traps.

balddemon said:

There are no words about how awesome this image is.

December 1st?! Man I wish they delayed it another week, that's the week right before finals D:

But this update sounds amazing. I might want to go into blackout mode now until it hits.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I picked this up for a few mins to show my friend and OMG THE ROCKET BOOTS ARE RUINED.

Please tell me there is some other way to fly.

Retro

Atomski said:
Great to see this thread pop up. Im going to start a new character when the patch hits.

I think that's probably everyone's plan. 1.0.6 introduced a lot of decorative items which felt more like a high-level upgrade. 1.1 is adding so much new stuff... a reboot sounds perfect.

Dice said:
I picked this up for a few mins to show my friend and OMG THE ROCKET BOOTS ARE RUINED.

Please tell me there is some other way to fly.

Ah, haven't played since they were changed, huh? The only way to really 'fly' now is to pop a Gravitation Potion (1 Bottled Water, 1 Fireblossom, 1 Deathweed, 1 Blinkroot and a Feather at any Alchemy Station). You'll be able to reverse gravity and float up and down.

GazzaScotland said:
Not played this in a long time, seeing the new screens makes me want to jump back in. Get into the swing of it before the update.

Reckon I'll probably start a fresh toon over the weekend, fully deck him out in prep for the update.

ZZMitch

Having not played this game since summer I feel like it is going to be a whole new experience when I get into it again over winter break.

Retro

vareon said:
hnggggggggggghhhh. November will be a torture.

I'm actually kinda glad it's December 1st. This gives me time to enjoy Halo Anniversary and Skyward Sword, and almost a whole month to enjoy 1.1 before various Christmas gifts and such take over.

I would hate to have Terraria and Skyward Sword compete for my time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Considering how this is the BIG UPDATE, its pretty much assured server will be reset w/ a new world.

Retro and I are currently working out the plans as to how to handle the reset. If you were around when we did the previous reset, you know we had to wait a bit while I tried to find out if the server mods worked. As it stands, I'm pretty sure the update will screw up the mods again, so the server will probably be offline when the update hits, until I can grab updated mods.

Now, even though a lot of us worked hard and spent countless hours building up a character, I'm pretty sure a lot of us also havent played the game in a while, so I'm requesting that when you get on the server when the update hits, that you use a brand new character. I'm not going to enforce this rule w/ an iron fist (unless of course you pop up on the server w/ a built-up character and cause mass chaos, then I'm booting your ass), but I think it would be best we use all new characters anyway.

I'm also well aware that we all want a shot at the bosses. At least if we all start over with new characters, we won't have incidents where we clear all the bosses in two days. Its also a bit hard to schedule boss fights when we have players from all over in different time zones. Its because of all that, I have to pretty much declare that if you come to the server, you're coming to build, gather resources, or just chat w/ other players. If you're going there for the Adventuring aspect, you might be disappointed that content was completed before you had a crack at it, so don't really go to the server for that.
UPDATE: If the previous paragraph didnt make sense, I basically mean, "Don't log on to the server expecting a boss fight". I do not mean "No boss fights whatsoever." Boss fights will pretty much be first come, first served.

That's just some initial things I wanted to get out of the way. We still have a month before it hits, and as I gather more info about what to expect, I'll have a more detailed plan about the server reset, and let you guys know. If you guys have any suggestions for the server (like what you'd want to see, rules you'd like established, etc), please mention it.

Retro

With all of the new content coming, I'm definitely looking forward to a clean server and character. I get the feeling not many people ended up starting new characters for the last patch, so this is a good opportunity to do so. That's definitely my plan and I would encourage others to do so as well, if only to extend the life of the experience. It's much more fun to dig for ore and treasure with people at your own level.

It seems like not many people used the Tutorial, so I think we can safely retire that particular aspect. Having people log in right at the GAF-Hub should work fine.

Bosses can always be summoned later once the Mods are back up to speed, so it's not like you'll *never* be able to kill a boss on GAF server. If people want, maybe we could schedule weekly boss-spawning events where people get on and we whip up any bosses people want. We did quite a bit of enemy spawning at the arena when we were bored, so I don't see any problem with it.

Obviously the dungeon will be looted eventually, the supply of hearts and chests will dwindle, etc. Nothing we can do about that except show up before it happens.

We don't know how the new Corruption event is going to be activated, but if it turns out that it kicks the world into "hard mode", it might make the game somewhat newbie-unfriendly (I don't mean that as an insult). Something we'll have to look into.

But damn is it nice to be talking about Terraria again and getting ready to take that plunge again in the near future. I missed playing this all fucking day with GAFfers. Seems like lately only a couple people log on (which is a shame because I built sooooo much shit.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna start fresh with the update. I've been in the mood to get back to Terraria lately, but I'm gonna just deal with the blue balls for now and hold out for until update for maximum enjoyment. I feel that I still have many hours of digging, looting and dying ahead of me.

Vyer

ZZMitch said:
Having not played this game since summer I feel like it is going to be a whole new experience when I get into it again over winter break.
Same here. Barely scratched the surface back in June, might try to get more involved this time around.

vareon

Question: If I installed the game on my laptop, can I install it again on my PC (using the same account) and play the same world?

I'm not familiar with Steam, this (and Sequence) are my only Steam games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
vareon said:
Question: If I installed the game on my laptop, can I install it again on my PC (using the same account) and play the same world?

Unless you copy and paste your save file from laptop to PC, you won't be able to. I think they have plans to add cloud saving, which would enable you to play on the same world between between laptop and PC, but it's not available yet. If you have your own server, you could visit it from any device, but I'm guessing you don;t.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
vareon said:

I'm not familiar with Steam, this (and Sequence) are my only Steam games.
You need to use my guide in the OP to enable cloud-saving. It's not all that tricky.
Snuggler said:
Unless you copy and paste your save file from laptop to PC, you won't be able to. I think they have plans to add cloud saving, which would enable you to play on the same world between between laptop and PC, but it's not available yet. If you have your own server, you could visit it from any device, but I'm guessing you don;t.
Wrong, I made sure you could do it within the first 24 hours of playing :p You need Dropbox and to make one symbolic link per computer you're playing it on, but it's really pretty simple.

ZZMitch said:
Seriously... I have missed out on so much, it's going to be almost more surprising to see everything that's new to me when I pick it back up than it was playing for the first time when the game was so sparse.

Retro

Red just tweeted that the Terraria Soundtrack is now available on Bandcamp, and includes 5 tracks from the next update; http://re-logic.bandcamp.com/

More importantly, it includes a custom banner with three never-before seen sprites;

2j5kl75.jpg
m77s5y.jpg

All three are tied up; one appears to be a bald blue guy (A Goblin?), a red-haired girl with some kind of hook-like tool on her back, and a wizard.

So, it looks like there are at least 3 new NPCs in 1.1, and they need to be rescued. I'm guessing the girl with the tool is some kind of engineer or mechanic from which we'll buy mechanical components or tools like wires, switches, etc.

Retro

I'm just hoping there's some way to control where NPCs move in, or things are going to get messy with NPCs scattered all over the place. Especially on GAF-Server where we've just sort of built everywhere. Not that it matters once we reboot things, but still...

As for the album itself, Tracks 9 to 13 aren't in the game yet so give 'em a listen. Also, track 10 is named "The Hallow" and 12 is "Underground Hallow". It's all tinkly and fantasy-sounding, so I'm guessing this is the new Biome (with the colored trees and blue grass).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hawkian said:
Wrong, I made sure you could do it within the first 24 hours of playing :p You need Dropbox and to mak

Damn, the things that can be done with computers these days! I have dropbox so maybe I'll check that out, but I do hope they add cloud saving in the next patch so I don't have to stop being lazy.

balddemon

Banned
gotta say, i'm pretty fricking pumped. comes out right before finals though lol, and i gotta ace my calc final to pass the class, so idk how much i'll be playing.

vareon

Hawkian said:
You need to use my guide in the OP to enable cloud-saving. It's not all that tricky.

Wrong, I made sure you could do it within the first 24 hours of playing :p You need Dropbox and to make one symbolic link per computer you're playing it on, but it's really pretty simple.

Seriously... I have missed out on so much, it's going to be almost more surprising to see everything that's new to me when I pick it back up than it was playing for the first time when the game was so sparse.

I use dropbox for pretty much I do today, so I'm familiar with it. I'm just wondering about the purchase. I don't have to purchase the game again for another PC, right?

Retro

balddemon said:
gotta say, i'm pretty fricking pumped. comes out right before finals though lol, and i gotta ace my calc final to pass the class, so idk how i'll be graduating.

Fixed that for ya.

kevm3

Hopefully there are more interesting kind of invasions to where the traps you set can actually be put to great use. I'd also like a sort of monster hunting mode where hunting out rare and dangerous beasts can net you a skull/you can mount their heads.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
vareon said:
I use dropbox for pretty much I do today, so I'm familiar with it. I'm just wondering about the purchase. I don't have to purchase the game again for another PC, right?
Steam allows you install games on as many servers as you want :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:

That's true, but even if you had Terraria on multiple computers, the problem is that your character and world files are tied to the computer they are on, they're not in "the cloud". I think someone figured out how to synch the user data, but I have no idea how. (It might be on the official Terraria forums)

vareon

Hawkian said:

That's what I wanted to hear, nice. Tnanks!

I tried your Dropbox thing with another game and it worked like magic. Shouldn't have problems with Terraria.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
HaRyu said:
That's true, but even if you had Terraria on multiple computers, the problem is that your character and world files are tied to the computer they are on, they're not in "the cloud". I think someone figured out how to synch the user data, but I have no idea how. (It might be on the official Terraria forums)
..it's me, and it's in the OP! :)

kevm3

It would be really interesting to start the GAF server in hardcore mode where everyone is required to use new characters. That would really emphasize teamwork instead of a reckless rush to grab up all the items and beat bosses.

duckroll

kevm3 said:
It would be really interesting to start the GAF server in hardcore mode where everyone is required to use new characters. That would really emphasize teamwork instead of a reckless rush to grab up all the items and beat bosses.

Difficulty is not a server setting, it's a character setting.

IceMarker

kevm3 said:
Just everyone nicely to start a new Hardcore character, better yet Mediumcore for lulz.

vareon

Looks like there's going to be a retail version: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/11/headup_bringing_binding_of_isa.php

Independent German outfit Headup Games announced that it's secured the worldwide publishing and distribution rights for a Collector's Edition of Re-Logic's Terraria, as well as the European rights to Edmund McMillen and Florian Himsl's Binding of Isaac -- bringing both downloadable PC games to retail shops for the first time.

The company will release the Collector's Edition of Terraria, the Minecraft-esque sandbox game presented in sidescrolling 2D with retro-style sprites, in the first quarter of 2012. The retail version of this game will be localized into non-English languages, and will include "various goodies", such as exclusive game content.

As for The Binding of Isaac, the top-down action RPG that just released via Steam a month ago, the indie game will receive a Holy Edition in Europe that will contain "several physical additions to please every fans darkest desire." Given the dark story of the game, these are sure to be disturbing!

Might be interesting to see what the Collector's Edition holds.

Retro

Oh, hey, new page. For those playing at home, Patch 1.1 is slated for December 1st, just like the thread title says.

vareon said:
Might be interesting to see what the Collector's Edition holds.

..... Slime paperweight and Eye of Cthulu Key-chain or bust. Also include a Guide Voodoo Doll.

Seriously, I would import this just to get any kind of exclusive in-game goodies they might offer.

balddemon

Banned
nah i'll pass calc man, its pretty easy. more worried about my research papers in english and child development.

anyways, i'm getting so hyped for this patch. i don't even know why. maybe all the new content. it's just so exciting, and i had so much fun with terraria when it came out...lookin to have some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom