• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

lol retro, i like your reasons for editing.

I never seem to be able to get my point across without typos or clarity the first time through, I'm cursed to forever edit. So I might as well be semi-entertaining when doing it.

As expected, because of the annual Steam Thanksgiving Sale, Terraria now going for $4.99, a 50% discount.

If you're the type of person who feels like giving, the 4-pack has a 50% discount also, going for $14.99.

To anyone on the fence:
This game is worth $30, easily. Getting it for $10 is practically stealing it and $5 quite literally so. With a huge content update (which is described more as a "Free Expansion pack") just a week away (and a Holiday update after that), there is no better time to get into Terraria. I can't think of a single person I've talked to or read the opinion of that regrets buying this game.

I am also seriously considering that 4 pack; one to each of my brothers, one to my father (though I dread getting the mac wrapper to work over long-distance) and one left over to give away to someone who doubts the power of digging... so I can sabotage their future for ever questioning the awesomeness.

ALSO: If you just bought the game, and popped by the server- YES ITS DEAD IN THERE RIGHT NOW. We are all waiting for the update. When update comes, it will live again.

Yeah, I make it a point to be on during my down time, but today is the first chance I've had to sit down with Skyward Sword and I took it. I'll probably be on the GAF server later tonight.

Retro

Has it been on a 75% sale yet?

No. The lowest it's ever been is $2.99 and that was a screw-up by Steam that was never intended to happen.

But more importantly, does it really need to be any cheaper? Considering the testimonials in this thread and the fact that it's cheaper than dinner at Taco Bell (which is about the cheapest place you can eat without going to a soup kitchen), how is $4.99 not a steal? $5 is worth the risk that A). You won't like the game (pretty rare) or B). it might drop slightly lower later... and honestly, if it does drop any in price, you're only saving a buck or two at the most.

Does that really make a difference?

Retro

Pure principle, I hate buying stuff just to see it go on a better sale a day or a week later.

Meh. You'll be saving a dollar and some change at the most. If you want to wait though, just make sure you don't miss the sale. Trust us, we're not just crazy in this thread... this is a game well worth the insanely tiny monetary barrier to entry.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pure principle, I hate buying stuff just to see it go on a better sale a day or a week later.
Best way of avoiding that is to just go with the better sales, whenever they pop up.

Well, if you're actually willing to wait it out, as far as I can tell, the discount on Terraria is suppose to be for the whole Thanksgiving Sale (up till the 27th), its not one of the Daily Deals. If you want to hold out till the 27th, no one's stopping you, but I really doubt it.

Also bear in mind that its more than likely that Terraria will also go on sale again when the Steam Xmas Sale kicks in. But by then, it would have been a few weeks since the 1.1 patch hit, and if you're a new player, I can pretty much guarantee that the server won't be as noob-friendly as opposed to being on the server when I reset it when 1.1 hits next week.

Jira

Meh. You'll be saving a dollar and some change at the most. If you want to wait though, just make sure you don't miss the sale. Trust us, we're not just crazy in this thread... this is a game well worth the insanely tiny monetary barrier to entry.

Indeed it is, I saw it the day it was first shown and I was following it so feverishly that I played 100 hours within the first week. This new update essentially doubles the size of the game making for another 100 hours easily. The eventual goal is to have so many items in the game that you can't actually hold them all. Buy it.

Retro

It was 2.49. I should know, i took advantage of it :p

My mistake. I think we can both agree that's a ridiculous price and Steam clearly fucked up (since there's no way it would get that low on purpose). It can't be said enough, though; the amount of time people invest in this game has been compared to Oblivion. Fuckin' Oblivion.

Indeed it is, I saw it the day it was first shown and I was following it so feverishly that I played 100 hours within the first week. This new update essentially doubles the size of the game making for another 100 hours easily. The eventual goal is to have so many items in the game that you can't actually hold them all. Buy it.

Ahhhh, it's you, from the Guild Wars 2 thread (awesome job in there, by the way). Glad to know you're a fan of Terraria too. And 100 hours goes sailing by.

ameratsu

Just to chime in regarding price: I actually didn't buy it while it was $2.49 that one day. When it went up to $5 during the day (was only $2.49 because of a mistake), I felt miffed out of principle. It's not that I couldn't afford $5, it's that I want the best possible deal. After it went up in price, i got all self-righteous about it and decided not to buy it.

I bought it during a sale some time later for $5 and felt like a complete ass. This game the bargain of the century at $2.49, but seriously it is worth every penny at $5 or $10. I am a cheapskate when it comes to video games, but seriously just buy it. You won't regret it.

Somnid

I got it for $2.50 because I heard good things. It's like Cavestory, I've just feel I've underpaid for it. Totally would have given them $10 if I knew what I know now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it during a sale some time later for $5 and felt like a complete ass. This game the bargain of the century at $2.49, but seriously it is worth every penny at $5 or $10. I am a cheapskate when it comes to video games, but seriously just buy it. You won't regret it.

I got it for $2.50 because I heard good things. It's like Cavestory, I've just feel I've underpaid for it. Totally would have given them $10 if I knew what I know now.

Don't you just love guilt?

Retro

I briefly considered getting a Bundle and keeping a copy for a GAFfer, and hiding a code somewhere in the next world so someone could find it....

Then I realized you would actually need a copy of Terraria to win a free copy of Terraria. Sometimes I think about making a list of what's wrong with me, but I don't have that much time for such a long list (especially with 1.1 coming out).

Sophia

Tidbits from the Terraria IRC chat;
There will be no gender-specific armor; armors will have two sprites which changed based on the gender. The female armor sprite will have normal pants so there most likely won't be 'chainmail bikini'-type situations.

Woot!

A friend of mine gifted it to me when it was on sale, and I feel bad about it, because I've put more hours into it than any other game in my Steam collection. :(

I briefly considered getting a Bundle and keeping a copy for a GAFfer, and hiding a code somewhere in the next world so someone could find it....

Then I realized you would actually need a copy of Terraria to win a free copy of Terraria. Sometimes I think about making a list of what's wrong with me, but I don't have that much time for such a long list (especially with 1.1 coming out).

You'd probably find a problem with the list once you actually made it anyhow, beyond simply not having enough time.

Nessus

I only just started playing Terraria (w/ friends) and I managed to get one of the best swords, beat all the bosses, etc in a few days.

Did your friends give you a bunch of powerful items, etc.?

Cause I've got like 25 hours logged with the game and I'm no where near strong enough to take on a boss yet. I can't even set foot in the Underworld because standing on Hellstone hurts me.

Retro

Was dinking around on my phone last night, reading the Teasers again for the hundredth time, when I spotted something with my phone's deeper zoom depth;

xKYrG.jpg

Crystals. I wonder what they're for. I thought it might be Coral at first, but I don't think Coral grows sideways... so... crystals.

Did your friends give you a bunch of powerful items, etc.?

This is why we're not giving away materials and only the most essential of quality-of-life items like Lucky Horseshoes (and only on request); Terraria is all about exploration, gathering, and adventuring. If somebody is giving you all the things you need to explore, gather and adventure for, what's the point?

So yeah, as tempting as it is to use Mod access to generate items and materials for people, I think I'm gonna ask Harlan to remove that feature for me so I have to dig around for stuff too. I can't remember the last time I actually went hunting for materials to craft something and that's half the fun of this game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I feel like crap for being away for so long on the GAF server. I moved to FL about the time the last patch hit and life has been busy. I am going to try to get on when I get on my PC. Harlan even made me VIP so I feel like I should be playing this as I love the game.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Was dinking around on my phone last night, reading the Teasers again for the hundredth time, when I spotted something with my phone's deeper zoom depth;

xKYrG.jpg

Crystals. I wonder what they're for. I thought it might be Coral at first, but I don't think Coral grows sideways... so... crystals.

Your OCD is astounding and scary, on so many levels.

Update w/ what we're doing w/ the server:
I am currently dicking around w/ the server mod, trying out some additional plugins for use when we do the server reset. So far, tests are positive, but nothing definite, considering how we don't know how many of these mods I use will actually still work when the update hits.

One thing though, considering how its been a while since most of you have logged on, most of you have probably forgotten your user id's, as well as passwords. Not a problem, since I'm wiping the database clean for the next update, so all of you will have to re-register anyway.

Vlad

xKYrG.jpg

Isn't amethyst already in the game? Maybe it's just remodeled amethyst?

Personally, I'm hoping it is, as I have a heck of a time spotting all the gems (especially diamond) in their current form. Having grey blocks with a speck of the corresponding color and a small sparkle is still quite easy to overlook when you're exploring. Changing all the natural gemstones to easy-to-see crystals like that would be downright awesome.

Retro

I feel like crap for being away for so long on the GAF server.

There hasn't been that much to do, even I've been away from it for a while (every couple of weeks though I get the itch to build something retarded). Despite adding lots of furniture and cool decorating options, 1.0.6 didn't add much in the way of new content and almost everyone petered out after the first week. It just didn't add anything new that we hadn't seen before.

Don't feel bad, it kind of happened to everyone.

Your OCD is astounding and scary, on so many levels.

I was checking the width of various items (statues, actually, looks like they're 2 bricks wide) and scrolled past. That's when I noticed the odd shape behind the text.

Isn't amethyst already in the game? Maybe it's just remodeled amethyst?

Yes, but this is some kind of crystal formation, not something inside the rock but actually growing on it. The other gems (Amethyst, Sapphire, Emerald, Topaz, Ruby and Diamond) are actually in clumps of stone. This is something entirely new and different.

And, for what it's worth... I've stock piled everything I've ever found, including Dirt. I think my home world's cache of Diamonds is less than 10, after crafting a Phaseblade. So you're not alone; those fuckers are hard to come across.

Retro

You can choose where NPC spawn now. That's pretty neat.

Yep. They also appear to have names (possibly given by the player?); the Guide is named Bradley, the Demolitionist "Bazdin", the Dryad "Celestia".

The blue guy is indeed a Goblin (he makes a reference to being an outcast and carrying spiked balls) and has the Reforge option. He's named "Stezom".

Fairies appear to come in blue, yellow and pink colors, maybe more (still picking over the video).

sooo much stuff.... nerdgasm

Edit: Wall of Flesh, holy fuck! Fighting that sumbitch with lava everywhere is going to be a pain in the ass... time to stock up on Obsidian Skin pots.

Mecha Eater of Worlds.... Skeletron Prime with legs and spikes... yikes.

Fairies appear to be enemies too... there's a new kind of stone called "Pearlstone".

The blue "Rainbow rod" is called "Ice Rod" and creates glowing blue platforms of ice... wonder how long they last (they probably melt quick).

At 1:17 the player runs towards water, jumps in and turns into a Merman (complete with a debuff icon, but no timer...)

Holy Water appears to 'bless' anything it touches... the player is chucking it everywhere in the desert and turns the sand white.

There's hidden passages linked to switches now... holy shit. You can see it at 2:13, he hits a switch and the stone in front of him disappears revealing a passage.

About 17 seconds in, you can see one of the new NPCs, tied up in the dungeon waiting to be rescued.

Looks like a Corrupter and Heart statue 28 seconds in.

A new kind of Fireplace (maybe, it's red) and some kind of pot / vase statues at 2:39.

Wings or Blue Rocket boots, and they appear to use Mana...

Looks like two new spells at least; Cursed Flames (Green fireballs) and Crystal storm (lots of little projectiles).

And it looks like I was right about the crystals, there's purple and blue ones growing around.

..... This is gonna be a long week.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Trailer is exhilarating.

I did talk to Harlan yesterday, hope to be back in more often now. I'm still VIP too but region locked OH NOES ><

There's hidden passages linked to switches now... holy shit. You can see it at 2:13, he hits a switch and the stone in front of him disappears revealing a passage.

Isn't that where he reforges the weapon too? Seems like it was player made using the new switch mechanics.

Retro

Isn't that where he reforges the weapon too? Seems like it was player made using the new switch mechanics.

Yep, he's the reforge NPC and it looks like the player decided to put the Goblin guy in a hidden house, that's all.

Yes sir, I like it. Was there a bit where he went into space?

I hadn't noticed that, what time in the video? Is it around 1:06 when he's fighting Falcor? Because yeah; the sun is still out but the sky is dark and full of stars.... holy crap, maybe a new Space level above the usual sky.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh... the traps I can make with what they've shown in the trailer...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Edit: Oh, and some more stuff Retro didn't list down:

-Falling boulders (ala Indiana Jones traps)
-Looks like you hold the spellbooks in your hand now, when casting spells
-bouncing laser shots
-new weapon: crossbows
-saw a harp as an item
-saw a bell as an item

Lumine

Found out this week I lost my character. I played this with a friend at his place, but he had to reformat his hdd last week and completely forgot about it. All my items/weapons/armour sets gone. :(
Ah well, 1.1 looks like good enough reason to start over anyway. :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Found out this week I lost my character. I played this with a friend at his place, but he had to reformat his hdd last week and completely forgot about it. All my items/weapons/armour sets gone. :(
Ah well, 1.1 looks like good enough reason to start over anyway. :)

If you were thinking of coming to the server when the update hits, we would have required you start a new character anyway. :p

Retro

Skeletron Prime has 30,000 HP and The Destroyer has 80,000. Don't think we'll be blowing through this content in a week, especially with all the craziness going on during those fights.

Was there a bit where he went into space?

o7t5d.jpg

Someone asked about it in the IRC channel;

[20:06] <DevilBro> Tiy http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/sky-jpg.23806/
[20:06] <DevilBro> space biome ?
[20:06] <@Tiy> no space biome
[20:06] <@Tiy> but going up high enough = space
[20:06] <@Tiy> sort of

I suppose that means the atmosphere extends upwards into 'space' but there's not actually anything up there that would constitute calling it a 'biome'.

IceMarker

First time I connect to the GAF Terraria server in months and I go head first into a goblin invasion at spawn.

Thursday... will revive the server and then some.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
First time I connect to the GAF Terraria server in months and I go head first into a goblin invasion at spawn.

Thursday... will revive the server and then some.

I'm not quite sure, but I'm pretty sure that as long as the server is running, time does pass normally in-game. What that basically means is that after a long period of no one being on at all (or at least, 7 in-game hours pass), the first person to log on (w/ 200 HP) will inevitably suffer a goblin invasion. This is probably the reason why the server seems to have a high amount of goblin invasions almost daily, its because of that lull during the day when no one bothers to come on.

I made plans for a hardcore character, but it fell apart because I had gotten myself killed and quite a bit of the server world I play on was already explored and dug for ore and items. I think the idea to have a hardcore character will revive with 1.1 when our world will reset.

I found that the Demonite Armor was more than adequate for fighting anything, and the Hellstone Block Sword (the big flaming one) was pretty powerful in itself. I got the Night's Edge for the heck of it since I knew it would be a weapon the others on the server didn't have. The only vanity items I really cared about were easy to get.

I'm not much of a builder as I already spend quite a bit of time with various projects. Plus I mostly like to build for convenience and not make huge fancy houses and the like (I made little forts on the way down to the underworld to act as spawn points). I was going to start on a texture pack, but I think that may be falling apart as well.

Retro

Yeah, I was just rattling them off as things you might want to try, in case you hadn't considered them before. I know I was shocked to find there was an actual game involving Sims in The Sims; I had always just built houses.
JUWnj.gif

If none of those reasons above tempt you, there's a shitload of new stuff coming out in 4 days that probably will. If not, and you're done with Terraria, that's fine; for $10 it's hard not to get your money's worth and if you managed to get it for $5 or less, it was easily worth the time you spent in it (which sounds like enough).

I didn't mean to come off as a rabid fan, by the way, sorry if it sounded like that.

Retro

Hmm... the media page on the Terraria site was updated today (http://www.terraria.org/media.html) with some new screenshots. This one caught my eye;

ss2.png

(click for big)

Wow. Love that lighting and the possibility of finding little structures underground. Very interesting.

3 more days! (though it is worth pointing out that Blue, though no longer a member of the development team, mentioned that he would love to see Redigit launch early.)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... the media page on the Terraria site was updated today (http://www.terraria.org/media.html) with some new screenshots. This one caught my eye;

Wow. Love that lighting and the possibility of finding little structures underground. Very interesting.

3 more days! (though it is worth pointing out that Blue, though no longer a member of the development team, mentioned that he would love to see Redigit launch early.)

Oh sure, THAT caught your eye, but yet you failed to point out...

ss9.png

click and hold to enlarge this sucker
EVIL CLOWNS.

WHAT THE HELL MAN.

WHAT
THE
HELL

Forget Retro mass summoning evil bunnehs, or sharks. He's gonna start summoning EVIL CLOWNS.

That's right... EVIL GODDAMN NIGHTMARE FUEL FUCKIN CLOWNS.

Do you hear that? That's Retro laughing liked the crazed hysterical evil mad man he is. HIDE YOUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN!

I got this game a few days ago, thanks to a Gaffer. The trailer looks very interesting, but I've only just started just in the starting area. Built my first house and another house to enclosed the NPC guide so he doesn't die.

I guess I should just be exploring and finding equipments and fight bosses?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I got this game a few days ago, thanks to a Gaffer. The trailer looks very interesting, but I've only just started just in the starting area. Built my first house and another house to enclosed the NPC guide so he doesn't die.

I guess I should just be exploring and finding equipments and fight bosses?

Your initial priorities are to increase your HP and MP, get better equipment (up to at least Gold-type equipment), and try and make a grappling hook. You'll more or less be set for the easy bosses, if you want to tackle them (Eye of Cthulu or Devourer of Worlds).

That should get you started, but generally, open-world game, so you can proceed as you see fit. Right now, most of us consider the game "completed" when we've been to all the biomes, and killed all the bosses. Its not like the game ends, but its a goal to shoot for.

Good news for the dev; the fall sale was very good for Terraria. The game is back in the Steam top 20 sellers and among the top 10 games currently being played on Steam.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Good news for the dev; the fall sale was very good for Terraria. The game is back in the Steam top 20 sellers and among the top 10 games currently being played on Steam.

Considering how there really wasn't that much advertising for it this time, that's pretty good.

IceMarker

So what I'd like to see from Terraria-GAF after the release of 1.1

1. I'd like to see everyone who was active before active again! (That's you too Wired.)
  2. I'd like to see a brand new world generated as soon as that sucker goes live.
  3. I'd like to see Terraria-GAF finally use the official Mumble voice chat server, there's a channel in there just for Terraria that hasn't been used in months.
  4. I'd like to see some more awesome freaking tutorial areas! (Not that I use them, they're just fun for me to run around in.)

I'll be on Terraria around 8pm PST tonight (2 hours from this post) if you guys would like to hang out on the GAF server one last time before the big change.

FINALBOSS said:
WTB Mac version :(
There's a Mac wrapper floating around the Terraria Online forums, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom