• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmm... Haven't stayed up until 3am digging in a while. I'm about 20 gold ore from having a full set of gold armour. Already started grabbing demonite too, but it's pretty rare so far. Love it.
There's a much faster and much more rewarding way of getting Demonite. In fact you can probably skip Silver and Gold Armor and pickaxes entirely because of it.

Grinchy

Banned
After not having played this game since the first week(spent 20 hours and exausted all the orignal content), I came back later tonight to the GAF server and proceed to play for 5 hours. I feel like im playing a brand new game or something. This game has come a long way and is so polished now.

I played some SP earlier and that's how it was for me. I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. It feels like it's been so long since I was deep into this game.

Anyone know if spawning Eater of Worlds from the orbs is bugged? You see the green text come up by even after breaking 5 orbs he still wouldn't spawn. This was for the first EoW, not the hardmode one.

I spawned him after breaking three orbs, but then when I magic mirrored back to my house he didn't follow me. :(

IceMarker

Good show tonight lads!

I shall be on tomorrow night on the NeoGAF server (Harlans) around the same time.

And make sure the world doesn't go into hard mode until most of us have at least Shadow Armor.

looking to finally grab this to play with my GF... BUT is there a way to CASUALLY play this game at all then? from reading about it it seems that hardcore is the only way to go in this and i'm afraid we won't have enough time to fully commit... but at 2.50, it seems like such a steal! (but then MOST discounted steam games do, you can't play em all though)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Playing on the server tonight... was it like blood moon once an hour?

Edit: I have silver armor and a gold broadsword and gold pickaxe. Still feel extremely weak when I enter the jungle.

vareon

Just played it about 30 minutes. I love the start of Terraria: You are a weak-ass character trying to explore a huge damn world with dangers in every corner. I hope I don't become a godlike character too soon.

My target is now to gather a good armor than start to make a better house.

And make sure the world doesn't go into hard mode until most of us have at least Shadow Armor.
I wouldn't wish Hard Mode on unsuspecting players, that's for sure. Your server needs to make sure everybody are bad enough dudes not just in armor and weapons, but in spirit and arrogance.

I hope I don't become a godlike character too soon.
Don't worry, you won't. You pretty much have to earn awesome-status.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
looking to finally grab this to play with my GF... BUT is there a way to CASUALLY play this game at all then? from reading about it it seems that hardcore is the only way to go in this and i'm afraid we won't have enough time to fully commit... but at 2.50, it seems like such a steal! (but then MOST discounted steam games do, you can't play em all though)

Choose Softcore difficulty. Hardcore "character" mode means your character loses everything upon death. Not to be confused w/ HARDCORE MODE w/c activates when you kill Woffy. (Yes, I'm calling it Woffy. Something that EVIL needs a cute name.)

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Soloed Wall of Flesh last night, I only cheated a little bit by backing up my save so I wouldn't have to keep finding voodoo dolls. It was a hell of a fight. Demon Scythe with Jungle Armor works very nicely. The worms he sends after you drop health and mana so it helps a lot if you're careful to collect them, I used a Hunter potion so I could locate them easily. A Water Walking potion lets you walk on the lava, though it's better if you prepare a bridge in advance.

kazinova

Has anyone determined how to get and use pumps. Our group started over, new world, new characters, and while we are now where near that kind of progress I just want to have an idea of what to aim at collecting to have the ability to put a waterfall in front of our house.

Has anyone determined how to get and use pumps. Our group started over, new world, new characters, and while we are now where near that kind of progress I just want to have an idea of what to aim at collecting to have the ability to put a waterfall in front of our house.

I figured out how to use wires, but not the pumps yet. Tbh even even tried. You may need to put the receiver and emitter and connect it with wires as well, as there's no "pipe" item.

kazinova

Pumps are purchased fromt he mechanic? Or are they crafted?

I know you need to save the mechanic and buy the wrench from her.

batbeg

Thank you thread title. I bought this game which I understand to be some kind of 2d Metroidvania Minecraft or something, which looks awesome.

Eternia

Iron bars with wires to craft them and then connect them with wires to some kind of switch. I used an input pump where water is collected and output pump above where the water is dropped. I can only seem to get them to pump once per switch hit though, I wanted something continuous but not sure if that's possible.

Kalnos

Banned
If you're joining a server hosted by someone else you shouldn't have to forward ports, are you sure that the person hosting has port 7777 forwarded properly and that they are hosting on that port? They could also have some Windows setting (like the firewall) preventing others from joining. If no one can join then it's probably the fault of the host.

Hamachi will work every time, if you're really having a hard time just google "Terraria with Hammachi" or something similar.

I have been hosting just fine for the past few patches and I have never had to help anyone else with firewall settings, they have always been able to connect without any trouble.

kazinova

Iron bars with wires to craft them and then connect them with wires to some kind of switch. I used an input pump where water is collected and output pump above where the water is dropped. I can only seem to get them to pump once per switch hit though, I wanted something continuous but not sure if that's possible.

If only water could activate the switch...

Vlad

I haven't gotten to the point of the mechanical stuff yet, but I did see some timers on the guide's crafting menu at one point. The description for them sounded like they automatically trigger once every 1/3/5 seconds, so that might work.

There's timer switches, that can activate every 1 , 3 or 5 seconds.

*edit*

What Vlad said.

Eternia

I haven't gotten to the point of the mechanical stuff yet, but I did see some timers on the guide's crafting menu at one point. The description for them sounded like they automatically trigger once every 1/3/5 seconds, so that might work.

There's timer switches, that can activate every 1 , 3 or 5 seconds.

*edit*

What Vlad said.
Yeah, that did it. While partially flooding my starting area because I stopped paying attention to it lol

Awesome, I like how I'm not even looking around the world so far outside of the Dungeon. This wiring system changes everything, lighting works with them too. :eek:

Vlad

Ok, so anybody who's about to head into their dungeon should make sure to turn Autopause OFF. There's a bug where if you talk to one of the bound NPCs with Autopause turned on, they won't actually get rescued, they'll just sit there, forever tied up, thanking you repeatedly for rescuing them.

Took me three separate trips from my NPC tower to the dungeon and back before I resorted to looking up the way to free them.

weeskwee

Banned
i started playing again last night. got a couple hours in which is about how much i played it when the game first released. i just feel like i am getting nowhere.

i dig a small fort into the side of a hill, collecting a lot of dirt and stone. then i go out and chop down a few trees and kill a bunch of green blobs. then i craft a workbench, doors, and torches. then i'll start expanding the inside of my fort at night while zombies and eyeballs try to break down my door all night. repeat for a few days.

so do i start digging downwards to see the more crazy stuff. what's the next thing i should focus on after all that i have done already?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i started playing again last night. got a couple hours in which is about how much i played it when the game first released. i just feel like i am getting nowhere.

i dig a small fort into the side of a hill, collecting a lot of dirt and stone. then i go out and chop down a few trees and kill a bunch of green blobs. then i craft a workbench, doors, and torches. then i'll start expanding the inside of my fort at night while zombies and eyeballs try to break down my door all night. repeat for a few days.

so do i start digging downwards to see the more crazy stuff. what's the next thing i should focus on after all that i have done already?

yes dig down i also suggest digging a small ditch or mote infront of your doors so the zombies cant break the door down they just keep jumping

i just started out, first timer here...

so yeah same as above i have my safehouse built, i didn't know zombies could eventually get THROUGH the doors though? i just hear them nagging on it and think that's ok hmm?

so anyway i have major trouble finding IRON ORE... i have gone underground quite a bit in 3 different places but no luck hmm... i did find a couple separated blocks but no actual VEIN of it... i cannot craft the more advanced stuff without it right?

i just started out, first timer here...

so yeah same as above i have my safehouse built, i didn't know zombies could eventually get THROUGH the doors though? i just hear them nagging on it and think that's ok hmm?

so anyway i have major trouble finding IRON ORE... i have gone underground quite a bit in 3 different places but no luck hmm... i did find a couple separated blocks but no actual VEIN of it... i cannot craft the more advanced stuff without it right?

I think you have a higher chance of finding iron ore just by walking on the surface.

Vlad

I think you have a higher chance of finding iron ore just by walking on the surface.

It does seem that way. I've noticed the occasional iron deposit lying around on the surface, and most of the veins I've found of it do tend to be higher up. Once I get further down, I tend to see mostly gold, silver, and copper (oddly enough).

I'm having the same issue as Winnie, in that I'm facing a severe iron shortage. Lots of the wiring-based stuff uses it, and I've got maybe two bars of the stuff stockpiled and no ore.

I think I'm going to have to just stock up on the potions that show the ores and run around on the surface or something.

ameratsu

- Dig a mine. progress downwards until the music changes (background will also go from reddish colour to reddish with grey spots). This is a relatively safe place for a noobie but you should find decent pockets of beginner-type ores. Make sure you stock up on torches first, though.
- build a furnace to refine the ore you find in your mine.
- make new weapons/tools/armour from the ores you find as you see fit.

That should get you started without spoiling anything.

It does seem that way. I've noticed the occasional iron deposit lying around on the surface, and most of the veins I've found of it do tend to be higher up. Once I get further down, I tend to see mostly gold, silver, and copper (oddly enough).

I'm having the same issue as Winnie, in that I'm facing a severe iron shortage. Lots of the wiring-based stuff uses it, and I've got maybe two bars of the stuff stockpiled and no ore.

I think I'm going to have to just stock up on the potions that show the ores and run around on the surface or something.

Just go to the dungeon and bring the wire cutter. Wires, wires everywhere.

weeskwee

Banned
- Dig a mine. progress downwards until the music changes (background will also go from reddish colour to reddish with grey spots). This is a relatively safe place for a noobie but you should find decent pockets of beginner-type ores. Make sure you stock up on torches first, though.
- build a furnace to refine the ore you find in your mine.
- make new weapons/tools/armour from the ores you find as you see fit.

That should get you started without spoiling anything.

Thanks! Great advice.

IceMarker

I'm home and ready to continue progress on my new GAF-only character on the NeoGAF server! (gafterraria.dyndns.org:7777)

I'll be on Mumble as well! (chi.eoreality.net:64739)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom