• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone else noticed the game running a little more sluggish than it did before? I am assuming it is related to the enhanced lighting perhaps...

Chocoboko

I am sure it has been said before but I freaking LOVE the new lighting effects. I love how the room lights up when you swing certain items. It is such a cool effect.

Also noticed you can create colored torches which look great as well. I love flying down a hole in the ground being surrounded by color.

Remfin

has anyone else noticed the game running a little more sluggish than it did before? I am assuming it is related to the enhanced lighting perhaps...
My screen definitely tears now, and I'm on a pretty sweet computer and I don't think the CPU ever gets above like 20%

Atomski

Can't wait to get home from work.. cravin some more Terraria.

Edit: I wish there was a world even bigger than the max size.

Vlad

Just go to the dungeon and bring the wire cutter. Wires, wires everywhere.

It's not the wires I'm having trouble getting. I can just buy those, even though it seems odd that I can't craft wires from my copious amounts of copper. It's the iron necessary for the timers and pumps that's stalling me.

bengraven

Haven't played in months...the last time I played was a month after release.

Then I see the patch notes from the last 8 or 9 months and I don't want to play yet...they keep adding new shit that when I finally do play it will be a different, huge, better game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
....I need to stop. I think my health is in danger.

Ha, I feel ya. I've logged almost 8 hours since last night. Between the update and my new file, I'm having a hard time pulling myself away since there is ALWAYS so much shit to do.

This game is just so good. My GOTY is either this or Rayman, not sure which yet.

Jira

Quick question: I just crafted a Cloud in a Balloon and got an Angry Cloud in a Balloon. Are the special modifiers random?

Yes, there's a chance for no modifiers to be applied, positive modifiers, or negative modifiers to all weapons & accessories.

Turfster

Maybe pump the water out, build your thing, then pump the water back?

This is... not really an option for this hellevator, that of course after about 500 feet ran into huuuuuuuuuuuuge underground oceans. Ah well. Hope they like all the water they're getting in hell.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I hooked up a chest statue to a switch in my main base. FYI, I recommend experimenting OUTSIDE of your base, not in it.

pulled the switch, it spawned a mimic which proceeded to destroy me and most of my NPCs. lol.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone is having connection issues (either w/ connecting to the server, or you're just trying to host a server yourself), let me know in this thread, or via PM. I'll help out w/ the troubleshooting.

Things to keep in mind:

-if the HOST computer is on a router, you will not only have to find your real IP address (use www.whatismyip.com), but you will also have to forward your ports on your router. You will also probably have to assign a static ip to the HOST computer.

-if the HOST computer is not on a router, it doesnt necessarily mean the modem you are using isnt ACTING like a router. Yes, certain modems DO act like a router, annoyingly. You may have to check around (do a google search on your modem model number, and your ISP too), and see if its possible to even login to your modem. If you can login, more than likely you'll have to forward ports, just like a router.

Kalnos

Banned
HaRyu, I have never had issues allowing others to connect, but I have had some other odd issues. For some reason after the patch dynamite exploding causes my connection to timeout for about one second, causing me to disconnect from vent/terraria. Any idea?

Connection speed: 30 Mbits down / 3.5 Mbits up

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
HaRyu, I have never had issues allowing others to connect, but I have had some other odd issues. For some reason after the patch dynamite exploding causes my connection to timeout for about one second, causing me to disconnect from vent/terraria. Any idea?

Connection speed: 30 Mbits down / 3.5 Mbits up

Almost sounds like you're getting kicked from a server for using explosives. W/c is impossible at this point, since there's no server mods that work w/ 1.1, as far as I'm aware.

Have you only been using one server, or have you checked to see if the issue exists on any server you get on?

Kalnos

Banned
server, or have you checked to see if the issue exists on any server you get on?

I'll try another server when I get the chance and it's not just Terraria but vent/steam also disconnect for about one second only to re-establish connection.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try another server when I get the chance and it's not just Terraria but vent/steam also disconnect for about one second only to re-establish connection.

Doh, sorry, my bad. Didn't really understand the issue.

That's really odd, I could see Terraria maybe getting D/C'd, but an explosion in Terraria knocking out Vent/Steam itself? Is anything else running on the computer at the same time that would also be hogging your internet? (torrents, messenger programs, etc) Is your computer running on wireless, or an ethernet connection?

Jira

My friend and I made new characters and a new world yesterday, since then we've played 20 hours. We got to hard mode earlier, content in the game is essentially doubled with this patch. We tried summoning Eater of Worlds and he destroyed us within 30 seconds flat, murdered our NPCs too. Gotta say though even though it murdered us the new look of the EoW is AWESOME. The mobs in hard mode are seriously no joke, they will tear you apart.

Vlad

Has anybody messed around with the pumps yet? I've been toying with the idea of having a water tower and a lava tower at my main base that I fill up with the various water and lava sources I come across underground. Thing is, as far as I can tell, the pumps will only pump if they're connected to the same wire.

Since they only pump a set amount when the signal turns on, I figured I could rig up two independent pumps on two 1-second timers, but no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get them to function together. As soon as I wired them both to the same timer, they worked just fine.

I guess it works well as a balance thing, as there's no way to pair the pumps otherwise, and dealing with multiple pump systems would be tricky if we weren't restricted this way. Not to mention that it'd be super-trivial to just drain one of the oceans if they weren't limited.

Still, I seem to recall that the developers claimed that the first thing they did with the pumps was dump a pump lava from the underworld up to the surface, so I guess they just did it with a ton of wire.

Dreavus

I think I'm going to wuss out and just keep my character from the previous patch on my new world. I'm too used to have a cobalt shield now!

parasight

Just played 7 hours straight. So much content. I love the difficulty being way harder now. I'm addicted to Reforging all my stuff until I get the best stats.

1.1 is sooooooo good.
Put in about 14 hours since it dropped haha..

Almost finished off my Adamantium armour set, damn that stuff is hard to find. Cracking every demon shrine I'm seeing.

If anyone's got any of the souls for trade, let me know. Need 5 more Sight, 2 more Might and 7 more Fright for my items if anyone can help.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gotta get my hands on some of these combined accessories. Also, cobalt stuff may not be the most powerful but I think it's really cool.

Voidguts

started over from scratch today and spent ~6 hours playing.. wearing gold armor/gold pickaxe. I haven't played since they first added potions and it's kinda blowing my mind how complete the game feels now. I found a sky island and the chest was locked, never encountered that before so it was a bummer. can't wait to get to the end game stuff.

edit: forgot to mention I LOVE the addition of random stats on tools/weapons!

Drazgul

Do you need to break only 3 demon altars for the new ores, or will more deposits spawn when you break more of them? I did notice that the messages start recycling after you've destroyed the first three.

duckroll

Terraria is fucking addictive. The new patch is pretty solid. I really like the various balances they've tweaked. Some of the combat difficulty especially in early game and with the early bosses actually feel easier now, but actual progression feels much more tiered. Requiring certain NPCs to be rescued first is a good idea, and the new content seems pretty interesting so far. Reforging is a fucking money sink too, especially when there's a change for negative properties. So evil!

Retro

For what it's worth, I found the Wizard last night, so GAF server now has all of the NPCs running around. He sells the Ice Rod for a platinum... so... yeah, hope you guys didn't blow all your coin on Reforging.

The downside, of course, is that the world is much harder now and chunks of it are destroyed. Evil clowns during blood moons toss bombs; who knew?

I'm sorry I haven't been on much lately; my wife is in the hospital and in the scheme of things Terraria is like item #722 on my list of concerns at this point.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm waiting for the server mods to actually release an update...

ATTN PLAYERS
Any player who had an account on the server PRIOR to 1.1, and who either are playing on the server now, or are PLANNING to play on the server, please send me a PM, w/ the username you used to login to the server, and the name of your character that you use on the server (since the username and character name can be different). Remember, I'm only asking those who've played on the server before, not new players who've only started playing when 1.1 hit.
If you are reading this, and you are NOT a GAF member, I can be reached via email.... harlan.ryudo "funny squiggly swirly line" gmail.com

WHY?
No, I am not making the server private. I'm taking a quick census as to who was around, and who's coming back. I also finally figured out a plan on how to prevent certain "events" from occurring, until we are ready for them. I'll reveal those plans when I get the server mod update.

STATUS OF SERVER
Okay, I am PRETTY SURE we will have to reset (new map) when I get the server mod update. Will I require everyone to make new characters again? I don't know, probably not. Unless there's a majority vote on it, you guys can still use the new characters you recently made.

Also, please bear in mind that I will probably allow OLD characters on the server once we shift it to hard mode. Not talking about the map we're using right now, I'm talking about the new map I will make when I have the mods running. However, please note that apparently, current map HAS already shifted to hard mode, so if you're new, you have been warned.

STATUS OF THE OLD MAP
Pre 1.1 map will be archived soon, then I'll put it up for download. I'll probably just place it in a zip file w/ the other previous maps. Also, if you have a map that you want to go into the archive (I guess, I'm calling it the NeoGAF Terraria Map Pack?), you can send me a copy of the map via email (see email above), and I'll put it in (after approval, of course).

IceMarker

For what it's worth, I found the Wizard last night, so GAF server now has all of the NPCs running around. He sells the Ice Rod for a platinum... so... yeah, hope you guys didn't blow all your coin on Reforging.

The downside, of course, is that the world is much harder now and chunks of it are destroyed. Evil clowns during blood moons toss bombs; who knew?

Doing WoF with you is so fun! <3

parasight

Man, I thought I could handle The Twins with just me and my cousin. Boy was I wrong. Those eyes are serious business. 25k health each. I was equipped with an Adamantine Repeater and full Mythril Gear. I guess I need better arrows and Adamantine armor.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, that hurt Aniklade... why you go and say server boring? It make Harlan sad.

Okay, seriously, its nice we have so many people on, but considering how its only been 2 days, and the amount of chaos that's going on, definitely need that damn server mod update ASAP.

Ultratech

Yeah, I got on earlier today and there's a whole bunch of people coming in.

Guess we're super popular all of a sudden? All I know is that they were summoning the Hardmode Bosses and everyone was getting killed all over. (Skeletron's spikes were hitting ppl for 8-12k...that's just crazy.)

balddemon

Banned
Yeah, I got on earlier today and there's a whole bunch of people coming in.

Guess we're super popular all of a sudden? All I know is that they were summoning the Hardmode Bosses and everyone was getting killed all over. (Skeletron's spikes were hitting ppl for 8-12k...that's just crazy.)

wat. is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom