• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

VandalD

Just got my first Destroyer kill. Didn't get any loot though. I figured there were still plenty of sections for me to kill, so I was still spamming my harp at him, and he died somewhere underground. Very disappointing. Don't make the same mistake.

Love seeing pics of your homes. Good to get ideas.

594772E66F9C93C55D225FEC9094C33E9C0CC314

My place is pretty plain, but I know just about what every chest holds, so I can quickly find my stuff. Haven't had problems with dead NPCs yet either.

L00P

It seems that alt-tabbing causes my game to speed up for some weird reason. Anyone know what's causing this?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It seems that alt-tabbing causes my game to speed up for some weird reason. Anyone know what's causing this?

That's a normal thing. Some people use it as an exploit to make time go by faster in a SP game. One example is making a little lava trap for the jungle wasps to land in, alt-tabbing out, and just waiting for a few minutes. You'll end up killing a lot of wasps and gaining drops fairly quickly.

ameratsu

So I'm playing on medium difficulty, and any weapon/item that I drop when die (and then reclaim) will have its bonus attributes reset to nothing. Is this a glitch or is it normal?

Ultratech

Was digging around for Adamantite and somehow managed to kill 2 Mimics.
Got a Titan Glove and Star Cloak surprisingly enough.
Star Cloak works similar to Starfury, dropping Stars, only it activates any time you get hurt. Even works Underground. :D

IceMarker

My Terraria server "Freedom" is up! (72.19.41.13:7777)
Stop by if the main GAF server is full or if you like hardmode! (I can hold about 10 people.)

OSlSk.png

Only 3 rules off the top of my head:
1. Don't build or dig in the area in and around spawn, this includes from the left side of the castle to the farthest building on the right.
2. Split the hardmode boss loot evenly if someone helped you take them down.
3. Join Blue Party!

--

EDIT: And we're down, thanks for playing whoever stopped by! I usually host every other night starting around 5-10pm Pacific. (If I'm not doing anything else.)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just fought Skeletron Prime solo... issuchathingevenpossible.jpg

Wearing full adamantite armor of the heaviest variety but he still tears the shit out of you. I used angel wings + spectre boots to fly the fuck away while blasting him with phoenix blaster + meteor shot. Having a philosophors stone, if I kept at "running speed" flight I could outmaneuver him enough that I could heal what damage he did to stay even.

I shot all of the 750 rounds I had ready into him and he had only dropped to 23,000hp, so I went at him with the glaive and quickly died. I don't know where the limbs were at in HP, so maybe they took most of the damage. It's hard to aim at the little skull when the limbs are so far away from it coming right at you. Thing is, I think even if I loaded my whole inventory with ammo, I'm not sure if I could finish the fight before morning.

Just fought Skeletron Prime solo... issuchathingevenpossible.jpg

Wearing full adamantite armor of the heaviest variety but he still tears the shit out of you. I used angel wings + spectre boots to fly the fuck away while blasting him with phoenix blaster + meteor shot. Having a philosophors stone, if I kept at "running speed" flight I could outmaneuver him enough that I could heal what damage he did to stay even.

I shot all of the 750 rounds I had ready into him and he had only dropped to 23,000hp, so I went at him with the glaive and quickly died. I don't know where the limbs were at in HP, so maybe they took most of the damage. It's hard to aim at the little skull when the limbs are so far away from it coming right at you. Thing is, I think even if I loaded my whole inventory with ammo, I'm not sure if I could finish the fight before morning.
Problem is you're still using the Phoenix Blaster

I'm barely just reached full Mythril but I find using the Laser Rifle and then switching in the Clockwork Assault Rifle while regaining mana is the best ranged choice at that Stage. Definitely better than the Phoenix Blaster.

weeskwee

Banned
is there a quicker way of placing the back walls of buildings?
is there a way to have the back wall pieces line up properly so there are no gaps or weird overlaps?
i swear placing it is driving me crazy. plus the overlaps make be feel like i'm wasting too many wall pieces.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Walls take up a lot of material to put down. Just slap them on the background until they no longer have an effect, and it'll look good.

duckroll

I hope they add new types of active blocks. Just stone is kinda depressing.

Anyways I have a draw bridge already kinda. I set up pits beside my house that drop into a hole with a bunch of darts on each wall. :p

I fully expect that wired stone bricks are simply the first step to higher tech in Terraria. There's no way they will leave it as it is. Other materials will definitely get something similar in future updates.

But there's another related theme I have noticed with the 1.1 content in Terraria. With everything before 1.1, the world was a relatively low tech place, with a focus on the fantasy aspects of the game. The design dabbled a bit in scifi and technology in terms of the guns and so on, but largely it was about monsters, magic, swords, etc. After 1.1 though, there seems to be a very deliberate attempt at introducing technology and mechanical components into the Terraria world, both in gameplay and in general designs. The Mechanic in the dungeon, the switch/wire system, the addition of more guns and the deliberate balance decision to make them all much faster so players can actually decide to specialize in those types of weapons, and of course the hardmode bosses.

It seems to me like 1.1 has effectively upgraded the Terraria world's tech level as you push through the world content. And it makes me wonder what else they have in mind for future updates. Are we going to eventually see vehicles, sliding doors/shutters, airships, etc? It'll be interesting if the tech evolves up to a solid steampunk level eventually.

Yeah I sense that too duckroll. There's a deliberate sense of evolution in the game. Hell you basically have to invent fire and make a crude shelter to survive the first few nights. If the game decides to get more mechanical, I hope it doesn't get too bloated.

Will F

Picked this up in the Steam autumn sale and just got around to playing it. A few hours in, but wow, this is going to take up a lot of my time!

Wish the beginning had a bit more of a tutorial for new players, but after stumbling around for a bit, a few youtube videos got me on my way. Now I just need to start working on some better gear.

Jira

I've been thinking about where they're going to go next and do you guys think they'll keep implementing new content and biomes through a trigger system similar to the Wall of Flesh?

Kalnos

Banned
I really hope weather is next with some unique enemies spawning based on the current weather or something to that effect.

Dice

Anyone want to trade?
Have: 4 laser rifles, 6 pwnhammers, 2 breaker blades, 1 titan glove, 1 magic dagger
Want: Just one motherfucking Clockwork Assault Rifle!

Fun facts:
-Fought 4 mimics just farming wall of flesh. It's hilarious fighting them first because they are deadlier than the boss.
-I fought it more times, but I just trashed the crappy items, screw reforging.
-Guides in my world have a lower survival rate than juniors in a religious gay black transexual woman driver thread.

VandalD

Built an arena and killed the Destroyer. He's much easier when you have walls to hide behind. Piercing weapons, in my case, the harp, tear him up. Demon Scythe would work well too. Also took out Skeletron Prime. So I guess I'm done with this patch. More content please! Actually still have a fair amount of stuff to get, like the Hamdrax and armor that isn't magic stats. Killing the bosses on my own has been a nice challenge, if a bit frustrating at times. I know some people were concerned about the bosses being tuned for groups. That may be true, but they are soloable if you prepare well.

Anyone want to trade?
Have: 4 laser rifles, 6 pwnhammers, 2 breaker blades, 1 titan glove, 1 magic dagger
Want: Just one motherfucking Clockwork Assault Rifle!
Just got one to drop, if you're watching the thread and still want it. We could trade on the GAF server I suppose. I'm more of a magic or melee person, and I'm sure I can get another to drop at some point. It's still fun seeing how fast I can kill the Wall of Flesh with all my new stuff.

Dice

Eh, I eventually got one myself. Though, I have a sorcerer amulet and wizard hat if you want them. +30% magic damage should come in handy, no?

VandalD

Eh, I eventually got one myself. Though, I have a sorcerer amulet and wizard hat if you want them. +30% magic damage should come in handy, no?
I'm all decked out in Hallowed armor now that I've downed Skeletron Prime, but I appreciate the offer! Also got a nice Sorcerer Amulet. I was just going to ask for some gold if you had insisted on a trade of some sort, otherwise I was just going to throw it at you.

balddemon

Banned
OH gosh I hate reforging stuff. I blew 85ish Platinum on trying to get my Minishark to Unreal, which the wiki says is the best possible for Ranged. I got Deadly, Rapid, and Hasty several times. So I just left it at Deadly seeing as how eventually I'll get a Megashark.

Time to reforge the Sandgun and Star Cannon...

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there any way to set any sort of video scaling in this game for windowed mode? 1080p is a bit too small for my liking.

edit: kind of found a way...set fullscreen res to 720p and then alt-enter into fullscreen and alt-enter back out of it. Tada!

I might play at native resolution anyways...while it is a bit smaller, it's certainly much sharper. I guess that's to be expected.

Is there any way to set any sort of video scaling in this game for windowed mode? 1080p is a bit too small for my liking.

edit: kind of found a way...set fullscreen res to 720p and then alt-enter into fullscreen and alt-enter back out of it. Tada!

I might play at native resolution anyways...while it is a bit smaller, it's certainly much sharper. I guess that's to be expected.

You also see more stuff. Easier to find hidden caves and such.

Grinchy

Banned

I had the same thought when I booted it up yesterday. Playing this game at 1920x1200 makes it really hard for me to see what I'm doing in the UI. I can handle everything else. I wish you could just scale the HUD/UI while playing at higher resolutions. I had to take the resolution way down to be able to play it.

Dice

Different resolutions for different jobs. General running/digging about? 720p. Fighting a boss? 1080p. Digging with a spelunker potion to find rare ore? 900p. I just wish you could change them on the fly.

Someone flipped the server to hard mode and did nothing to contain the corruption. The corruptors almost got the better of our base but I fixed it up. You should now spawn to something like this:

I've been farming Wall of Flesh a lot. Here is my best win so far:

P.S. Godly Adamantite Chainsaw is great against charging-type enemies. It keeps a unicorn at bay and kills them pretty quickly.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Someone flipped the server to hard mode and did nothing to contain the corruption. The corruptors almost got the better of our base but I fixed it up. You should now spawn to something like this:

*sigh*

Those server mods better come out soon...

Dice

Hey Dice is your server still up, or did you change the port/IP of it? I haven't been able to connect to it today.
Not my server, I just did like 80% of everything that was done on it. It has also been down for me.

Different resolutions for different jobs. General running/digging about? 720p. Fighting a boss? 1080p. Digging with a spelunker potion to find rare ore? 900p. I just wish you could change them on the fly.

I've been farming Wall of Flesh a lot. Here is my best win so far:

P.S. Godly Adamantite Chainsaw is great against charging-type enemies. It keeps a unicorn at bay and kills them pretty quickly.

Wat.

How do you kill it so fast @.@

Dice

Wat.

How do you kill it so fast @.@
Helmet form of adamantite armor, godly adamantite glaive, menacing warrior emblem, 4 other menacing accessories. Rush in and stab it... a lot.

I forgot... my shortest-lived guide. I was wondering if he spawned and I missed the message so I tossed a doll in the lava and, I shit you not, the message saying they arrived popped up just as the doll was touching the lava. Total insta-death for my greed. I should have paid more attention to the name of the guide so I could set up a monument for him.

I must have accidentally tossed my orb of light somewhere. :(
Gotta fight the twins so I can have a fairy instead.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why do I progress so slow?

5 days and all I got is a hook & gold pick. Also a nurse!
I'm in the same boat. Just got the same items, too!

But, Cthuhulu's eye is hounding my ass, forcing a save and quit every time I mirror home.

Dice

Eh, what for? I want as much screen estate as possible for everything - especially mining.
I don't like having my face shoved all up in my 23" monitor just to see that block I missed while drilling a tunnel.

Drazgul

I don't like having my face shoved all up in my 23" monitor just to see that block I missed while drilling a tunnel.

Fair enough, I haven't found that to be a problem. Hmm, a magnifying lens accessory that zooms in on your cursor area might be a good idea tho.

duckroll

The Orb of Light isn't completely useless, and considering it's an item you cast from your inventory, it's not really that bad in the current context. What really totally blows is the Mining Helmet. There are so many things wrong with it. First, it takes up an equip slot, which is really a huge deal these days especially when you consider how armor sets are designed, and the stat bonuses for full sets, as well as the stat bonuses that specific helms give. Considering the huge trade off you need to make to even equip the mining helmet (and the fact that it costs money to buy), the uselessness of the helm is inexcusable.

Dice

How bright is it? Like the old orb or light? I really am sick of putting torches down everywhere.
ft2Uy.jpg

z7JrX.jpg

And she (Navi, that is) is fast, too.

It was kind of a pain in the ass to kill all the bright fire-type enemies that kept spawning.

-Mikey-

Anyone have tips for the Wall of Flesh? I've got him down to 180hp and 68hp but I'm tired of farming Fallen Stars. Can't think of any other way though.

Also, I'm doing it solo.

duckroll

Anyone have tips for the Wall of Flesh? I've got him down to 180hp and 68hp but I'm tired of farming Fallen Stars. Can't think of any other way though.

Also, I'm doing it solo.

I've solo'd Wall of Flesh a few times now on the server I play. Pretty easy. You just need to make sure you have good gear and a long bridge. summon him at the far right, and just mash away as you move left. Attacks which hit multiple times are generally the best. I use Mystic Demon Scythe + Ruthless Sunfury as a pretty good combo. Gets the job done fast too.

Drazgul

I actually used the meteorite set & Space Gun the first time around (with a some buff pots) and he's definitely not that hard as long as you have a platform like duckroll said. Just don't try to go melee and you should be fine.

Dice

Nice.. need to kill the twins now.
I used a demonic clockwork assault rifle with cursed bullets. I also used every buff, which are very easy to make once you are familiar with the world and the items. If you don't have wings+spectre boots you better have gravitron potion.

Without buffs active, with my equipment/accessories, I am getting 42x3=126 for every bullet that it costs, plus whatever damage the cursed flame status does, then criticals, of course. I think you should be able to get some similar damage with arrows or magic, especially since they both have their own buff potions, just make sure you have a whole lot of whatever you're using. Melee on these bosses just isn't an option until you're in hallowed armor.

Looking to the destroyer, I think I'm going to switch to a hallowed repeater and holy arrows. I think they made it invulnerable to curse since it'd kill it sooo fast if you could curse each individual segment. I'll probably also go ahead and switch to gravitron potion since you need a ton of working space with him.

Thanks to Terraria Based God Yrimir for education on how to handle these crazy bosses solo.

Drazgul

The Destroyer gets absolutely... destroyed by the Magic Harp, so if you've killed the Twins enough to craft one, definitely do it. Don't even have to buff up really since the spawns off of the Destroyer drop off hearts all the time.

Also, if you have a platform high enough from the ground (not too high, you should still be able to see the ground at 1080p), it actually stays at ground level most of the time and you can just shoot safely down from the platform.

Dice

Is that so... well, I also just realized greater healing potions exist. Those would be a better use of my extra pixie dust than holy arrows. Glowing shrooms for mana potions are right with all the crystal shards (for healing potion), as well. I guess I'll go magical for the destroyer. I'll still buff up, make the adamantite headgear, and I also have an arcane sorcerer emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom