• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, is there any content I'm missing out on by not starting a new world? I've just been playing on my first one and it seems like everything new is showing up.

Yeah, it basically converts the world quite well.

The world generation changes mostly improve how the old content is generated.

Like forests are actually forests and jungles are a bit more logical to traverse with far less digging.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yeah, it basically converts the world quite well.

The newer worlds mostly just improve the way the older content generates.

Like forests are actually forests and jungles are a bit more logical to traverse with far less digging.

I see, thanks.

Edit: Actually, I was just messing around in a new world and found a statue in the corruption. I guess these only appear in new ones?

syllogism

Fun fact: if star cannon damage is over 100 (?, I had 108) and it is night, the fallen stars do not disappear after shooting so you can just collect them back. In fact, it seems they somehow even multiply in the process. I assume they don't disappear because some hack is being used to determine whether the player shot the stars or not

e: oh right, they "multiply" because there is a x% chance that it won't consume a star due to the set bonus

kazinova

Anyone make a good guide for item progression?

I'd like to have a set of goals for the fastest progress possible with a new character. I took a character to Molten Armor back in 1.0.5. I'm doing a fresh server and character with friends but I forgot the progression I'm aiming for.

Is it:
Gold Armor/Implements
Eye/EaterOfWorlds
Nightmare Pickaxe
Meteorite
Jungle
Hellstone
Dungeon
Hard Mode

???

I'd like to have a set of goals for the fastest progress possible with a new character. I took a character to Molten Armor back in 1.0.5. I'm doing a fresh server and character with friends but I forgot the progression I'm aiming for.

Is it:
Gold Armor/Implements
Eye/EaterOfWorlds
Nightmare Pickaxe
Meteorite
Jungle
Hellstone
Dungeon
Hard Mode

???

Yeah that's pretty good.

What I've done so far on my new playthrough:
Underground until Gold Armor
Spawn EoC/EoW for Shadow Armor/Nightmare Pickaxe
Dungeon

What I plan next:
Meteorite (not needed really unless you like to pewpewpew)
Underground Jungle/Hell (both are almost equal in my eyes)
Hard Mode

Vlad

Is it:
Gold Armor/Implements
Eye/EaterOfWorlds
Nightmare Pickaxe
Meteorite
Jungle
Hellstone
Dungeon
Hard Mode

???

My own preference is to swap that around a bit. After Nightmare Pickaxe, I tend to go:

Meteorite
Dungeon
Jungle (optional)
Hellstone
Hard Mode

I find that a full set of Meteorite Armor + the Space Gun makes short work of Skeletron (boosted magic damage and unlimited shots), and I've found that the enemies in the dungeon tend to be easier than the Jungle ones.

Once I've got some of the dungeon goodies (the sword's really the only thing I use a lot from there, though), I might scavenge the Jungle for stuff to make the better grappling hook, but I find that it's really not necessary. I actually don't think I've ever managed to even complete a set of the Jungle armor, as I tend to have the worst time finding gemstones.

The funny thing is is that I eventually ended up using my full Meteorite gear to kill the Wall of Flesh, so I could have actually gone straight to the Underworld and done it. I just made sure to brew a nice combination of potions (ironskin, featherfall, thorns, and regeneration) to make moving around and general defense better.

Drazgul

Is the new content solo-able? I get the feeling that they are slowly forgetting single player Terraria.

While it's pretty obvious they're tuned for a small group, they're are doable. You just need to have about the best gear attainable, a proper arena to fight in and every buff that helps.

duckroll

Is the new content solo-able? I get the feeling that they are slowly forgetting single player Terraria.

Everything in the game is solo-able. There's nothing in the game that specifically requires more than one player to be involved to accomplish. Is it easy? Nope. Is it easy even if you have a bunch of players involved? Nope. Remember, the more players which are in a world, the divided the resources become. All loot, ores, chests, etc are split between the number of players who could possibly find it. If you play alone on your own world, it's all yours, and you can get stuff upgraded a lot faster.

duckroll

Sweet..that hasn't changed much to get basic ones in.

There's now a housing UI where you can check if a room/building is suitable housing, and if not it tells you what it's missing. Using this UI you can also assign specific NPCs into rooms, and they'll respawn there eventually and stay there until they're killed or reassigned. It's awesome.

Sarcasm

There's now a housing UI where you can check if a room/building is suitable housing, and if not it tells you what it's missing. Using this UI you can also assign specific NPCs into rooms, and they'll respawn there eventually and stay there until they're killed or reassigned. It's awesome.

I am assuming thats when you hit esc?

balddemon

Banned
Does the Wall of Flesh stay summoned if you die? Reason I ask is because I'm going to attempt a solo on my single player world and probably won't make it the first time...

EDIT: Apparently, it stays alive until it crosses the edge of the map. So I need to beat it the first time.

Somnid

Everything in the game is solo-able. There's nothing in the game that specifically requires more than one player to be involved to accomplish. Is it easy? Nope. Is it easy even if you have a bunch of players involved? Nope. Remember, the more players which are in a world, the divided the resources become. All loot, ores, chests, etc are split between the number of players who could possibly find it. If you play alone on your own world, it's all yours, and you can get stuff upgraded a lot faster.

Well I meant it as in "did they even consider single-player balance with the new content or will I just be brutalized, frustrated and not have a good time?" I'll probably pop over to one of the NeoGaf servers at somepoint but right now Terraria is more of a single player time-sink for me.

duckroll

Well I meant it as in "did they even consider single-player balance with the new content or will I just be brutalized, frustrated and not have a good time?" I'll probably pop over to one of the NeoGaf servers at somepoint but right now Terraria is more of a single player time-sink for me.

It doesn't feel balanced any differently from how Terraria has always been balanced imo. The balance in the game has never really felt like "solo" or "multiplayer" to me, but instead the game is entirely balanced around item tiers. If you're using tier 1 equipment against tier 3 enemies, the game will feel really really hard, and beyond that it is simply impossible. As you gear up through the tiers, the game gets progressive easier, even as enemies get harder.

The difference in 1.1 is that now they've finally implemented true "end game" content in the sense that there is a sort of end boss in Hell now for the normal game, and after beating it the entire world changes into a more dynamic and much harder mode with huge amounts of new content. This basically resets the difficulty of the game drastically, regardless of that equipment you had when you beat the boss. Even if you have all the best equipment the game has to offer up until that point, the world changes will still make the game incredibly challenging.

From this point on, you then have to re-explore the world and basically start to discover what has changed and learn the new rules of the world, while seeking out new equipment, new ores, so you can improve your equipment once again with the newly unlocked stuff that's now available.

If you are able to play Terraria solo, you'll be able to play the new stuff solo as well. There's nothing changed that makes it particularly different. It should be noted the multiplayer Terraria very often comprises of a bunch of players on the server in completely different places doing their own thing. Sometimes the players will group together in pairs or in large groups to do something together (fight a boss, build a tunnel, explore a new biome, etc) but it's really more about the social aspect than a balance aspect.

Hope that helps!

I don't really agree with Duckroll on

If you are able to play Terraria solo, you'll be able to play the new stuff solo as well. There's nothing changed that makes it particularly different.
I find that the Hardmode bosses are far less solo friendly than the normal world bosses since they're difficult in team play as it is. This isn't to say it can't be done but I think there's a higher learning curve and tolerance level for it.

duckroll

I don't really agree with Duckroll on

I find that the Hardmode bosses are far less solo friendly than the normal world bosses since they're difficult in team play as it is. This isn't to say it can't be done but I think there's a higher learning curve and tolerance level for it.

Hardmode is just much much harder, like I said. That doesn't mean it's less solo friendly specifically. It just means that it's much harder regardless of how you play the game. If you have a ton of people who want to raid any boss, Terraria allows you to basically do it earlier than you normally would be able to. If not, you'll just have to gear up and prepare better before you fight a boss.

Also, I'll like to add that we're 4 days or so into 1.1 so far. So of course all the bosses and new enemies and content will feel much more challenging right now. When I first started playing Terraria, even in multiplayer we had to build entire areas to prepare for bosses, and we would still die several times before beating a boss. When I started a new character on a new world in 1.1 with the same people, we could solo bosses with no real environmental preparation without even dying.

The key is in knowing what to expect, and knowing what sort of equipment and weapons are best suited for a battle. It also helps to know how to make the best use of your time in the game, and what equipment to ignore while focusing on maximizing your productivity. Since 1.1 content is very new, the challenge will obviously feel fresh. I'll be surprised if you still feel this way in a few months. :)

kazinova

My own preference is to swap that around a bit. After Nightmare Pickaxe, I tend to go:

Meteorite
Dungeon
Jungle (optional)
Hellstone
Hard Mode

I find that a full set of Meteorite Armor + the Space Gun makes short work of Skeletron (boosted magic damage and unlimited shots), and I've found that the enemies in the dungeon tend to be easier than the Jungle ones.

Once I've got some of the dungeon goodies (the sword's really the only thing I use a lot from there, though), I might scavenge the Jungle for stuff to make the better grappling hook, but I find that it's really not necessary. I actually don't think I've ever managed to even complete a set of the Jungle armor, as I tend to have the worst time finding gemstones.

The funny thing is is that I eventually ended up using my full Meteorite gear to kill the Wall of Flesh, so I could have actually gone straight to the Underworld and done it. I just made sure to brew a nice combination of potions (ironskin, featherfall, thorns, and regeneration) to make moving around and general defense better.

Thanks everyone, it seems like I can be a lot more aggressive on the dungeon than I used to be. Which is perfect because I really want the Wrench and pumps to play around with.

One day in the distant future I might get a set of wings to fly around with...maybe....

Vlad

Thanks everyone, it seems like I can be a lot more aggressive on the dungeon than I used to be. Which is perfect because I really want the Wrench and pumps to play around with.

One day in the distant future I might get a set of wings to fly around with...maybe....

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'll bring it up again, just in case you didn't see it:

If you're going into the Dungeon, turn AutoPause OFF in the main menu. Right now there's a bug where you can't rescue bound NPCs while it's on.

pr0cs

Am I the only one who never turns autopause on in the first place?

I turned it on for a bit this weekend, it's fucking annoying but probably because I logged so many hours with it off that turning it on made it make the game feel like it crashed or something.

I had lost my save game back in August or so, lost all my characters, world, gear, etc and sort of gave up on the game. My son likes to play the game though and begged me to play again with him and got hooked back in. Initially was pretty disappointed that the game got a lot harder than earlier releases (from a new character perspective) but once I had enough stuff for a shadow armor suit it was 'business as usual'.

Still a great game but I'm not sure I will ever want to play 'hard mode'. Doesn't really sound all that fun to be so punishing.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'll bring it up again, just in case you didn't see it:

If you're going into the Dungeon, turn AutoPause OFF in the main menu. Right now there's a bug where you can't rescue bound NPCs while it's on.

Man that pissed me off.

"Oh sweet it's the Mechanic... let's go, I'm here to rescue you... um wtf get your lazy ass up... you really doing this to me right after I dredged all this way?"
*checks wiki*
"Oh god dammit."
*goes back to title screen*

edit: and also you have to keep it off to rescue the other new NPCs right? Such horseshit, I don't want to play with it off.

Been playing with my friends on their private MP server. Holy shit, I didn't think this game would be able to drag me back in after I nearly burned myself out on it with 100+ hours of playtime from the first 5 or so patches. I'm extremely impressed with the amount of stuff they added to the game. The amount of new enemies, weapons, armors, and accessories is staggering. The new NPCs, the new wire/mechanical system, the new biomes... really blown away.

Vlad

Man that pissed me off.

"Oh sweet it's the Mechanic... let's go, I'm here to rescue you... um wtf get your lazy ass up... you really doing this to me right after I dredged all this way?"
*checks wiki*
"Oh god dammit."
*goes back to title screen*

edit: and also you have to keep it off to rescue the other new NPCs right? Such horseshit, I don't want to play with it off.

Yeah, the three NPCs that need rescuing (there are only three, right), all need to have Autopause off at the moment.

Not only that, but they're not guaranteed to be in the same place every time, apparently. I found the Goblin and the Mechanic in the Dungeon, and ended up finding the Wizard a little bit later in the underground jungle. Problem was, I had turned Autopause back on by that time (the inventory management is so clunky that I hate playing with it off). So I tunneled straight up, marked the spot above ground with a little mud pillar and some torches, exited, changed the option, went back to where he was, and he was gone. I eventually found him later on in a random cave somewhere, but it was still extremely annoying to have to deal with.

Speaking of clunky inventory management, is there any way to buy items faster. I'm attempting to make an underworld-> surface pump system, but having to buy wire one click at a time has got to be doing horrible things to my mouse button.

Speaking of clunky inventory management, is there any way to buy items faster. I'm attempting to make an underworld-> surface pump system, but having to buy wire one click at a time has got to be doing horrible things to my mouse button.

Hold down right click.

I just read the latest patch notes.
Female players now have separate armor graphics.
Awesome. :D

I haven't played this in months, sounds like it is time to jump back in. I better study the wiki first, though.

Vlad

Hold down right click.

!!!!!!!

And it works for crafting too! Absolutely awesome, thanks.

So, on to the new frustration at the moment... is there any way to make timers remember their on/off state after you reload the game? I'm working on something that needs some timers to just remain on, but they all shut off as soon as I exit the game, and I have to go turn them back on manually.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I created a small world to utilize things of this version on my own (I named it "Small 1.1" -- a naming convention I would have taken at the start if I knew how the patches would work) and I thought of this elegant zombie-proof and runaway-proof housing solution.

bJaNX.jpg

However, there was an odd little thing. Close to my house the background would turn into desert, even though it was grassy with trees and everything. I thought it was a bug at first but then I discovered this area to the right, which was all sand.

tQeCb.jpg

I don't know what I'm going to do with the space. I know the goblin and wizard will live there since I need more houses, and I know it will be made of glass from the sand. Maybe I'll make it a large, well-organized, multi-level storage area. It's always a bit annoying when you get so many items and forget where you put what.

Also, yes those are two water pathways and one regular pathway right under my house. Should be pretty cool.

Turfster

So I created a small world to utilize things of this version on my own (I named it "Small 1.1" -- a naming convention I would have taken at the start if I knew how the patches would work) and I thought of this elegant zombie-proof and runaway-proof housing solution.
I've got bad news for you ;)

Haven't found a way to make a house totally mob-proof yet, and the npcs sometimes still walk out of doors they shouldn't. I've got a floating exit/entrance, and the wizard and the merchant regularly jump off to go wander in the catacombs beneath. I dunno, maybe they're just suicidal old men or something =p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:
So I created a small world to utilize things of this version on my own (I named it "Small 1.1" -- a naming convention I would have taken at the start if I knew how the patches would work) and I thought of this elegant zombie-proof and runaway-proof housing solution

Nice. Lair building is still my favorite part of Terraria, I find it so relaxing. The only downside is that I'll put a ton of time into a lair only to ditch it as soon as I find a better spot.

Thanks to the new glass wall pieces, I've built underwater glass tunnels around my lair. With colored torches it looks really cool. But now I want to move to the ocean so I can build the ultimate underwater lair...

VandalD

Finally managed to down the Twins. The pew pew don't stop. What a difference between the hardmode bosses and the regular old bosses. The Destroyer has killed me three times now, and I haven't even seen Skeletron Prime. It's good to have such a difficult goal in this game, even if it's a bit frustrating at times. I was worried when I saw that the bosses have so much HP. Feels good to solo them, even if I did get a bit lucky in the end.

I'm loving the glass walls. Made an underground pearlstone brick/glass wall sanctuary last night. Still have to tweak the entrance and make it a little more mob proof, but the glass is an excellent addition.

mNpYY.jpg

It's in the hallow area, so the new hallow background is visible through it during the day. Looks awesome.

Dice

Haven't found a way to make a house totally mob-proof yet, and the npcs sometimes still walk out of doors they shouldn't. I've got a floating exit/entrance, and the wizard and the merchant regularly jump off to go wander in the catacombs beneath. I dunno, maybe they're just suicidal old men or something =p
They cant jump to open a door in mid-air. That's why my rooms are the way they are. As long as I close the door behind me, they are trapped. Also, monsters run up to the entrance but then they just jump and bounce their head off that ledge. Once I flip to hardmode nothing will keep wraiths out, but this is as good as it can get.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You know what I would love? Drawbridges. You could retract it when you return to your lair, so enemies/fellow miners fall into a pit of lava or a moat full of piranhas when they try to approach your home.

mike23

You know what I would love? Drawbridges. You could retract it when you return to your lair, so enemies/fellow miners fall into a pit of lava or a moat full of piranha's when they try to approach your home.

You can do that with active stone blocks now. Just attach a switch to either side. It won't lift up, but it will disappear when you flip the switch.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

You have several options:

1. Make your home a floating one. Or at least, inaccessible unless you have a grappling hook.

2. Leave a two block gap between the ground and the front of door. As it was mentioned earlier, enemies cant jump and open doors at the same time, yet NPCs can.

3. Use the double door trick. If you double up the doors, unless somehow the enemy AI figures out that doors open in the direction you're facing, but cant open if anything is on the otherside, you're good.

4. Stick NPCs on a floor where they won't be able to access the door to the outside, for the most part, they'll just wander back and forth on the floor they're on.

You have several options:

1. Make your home a floating one. Or at least, inaccessible unless you have a grappling hook.

2. Leave a two block gap between the ground and the front of door. As it was mentioned earlier, enemies cant jump and open doors at the same time, yet NPCs can.

3. Use the double door trick. If you double up the doors, unless somehow the enemy AI figures out that doors open in the direction you're facing, but cant open if anything is on the otherside, you're good.

4. Stick NPCs on a floor where they won't be able to access the door to the outside, for the most part, they'll just wander back and forth on the floor they're on.

With the addition of switches and active stone blocks, you can also make sliding doors! I don't think enemies will be able to open them since the switch must be toggled.

I totally want to do something out of Get Smart haha.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
With the addition of switches and active stone blocks, you can also make sliding doors! I don't think enemies will be able to open them since the switch must be toggled.

I totally want to do something out of Get Smart haha.

Man, I'm still soloing my own world from scratch, I'm not even far enough to even wire stuff up yet. I've got an idea of what I want to do, but I don't want to cheat and just get items from the MP servers unless I've gotten to that point myself in SP. :p

I simply make foyer entrances - like others have said the trick is with jumping. Here's something I made real quick... each side is a different approach. These will keep zombies out, will keep NPCs in, and still keep it easy to enter your house.

nP7bc.jpg

However, with traps and switches now you can create even more interesting solutions. 3 Inactive Blocks on top of each other wired to a switch will give you an unbreakable door that doesn't even need room to swing in and out (though it will look kind of ugly).

Atomski

You can do that with active stone blocks now. Just attach a switch to either side. It won't lift up, but it will disappear when you flip the switch.

I hope they add new types of active blocks. Just stone is kinda depressing.

Anyways I have a draw bridge already kinda. I set up pits beside my house that drop into a hole with a bunch of darts on each wall. :p

Dice

Well that worked out very efficiently. I guess an area of glass provides enough to encase and wall an area of the same size. I had about 20 glass wall left. My unfinished glass cathedral:

jB7IN.jpg

The space between houses is a hellevator.

Jira

Skeletron Prime is quite the pushoever, with spectre boots and wings you can just circle kite him on a platform and avoid all of his attacks. The Twins and Destroyer actually provide a challenge.

balddemon

Banned
I made this nifty contraption today. It's a button hooked up to a dart trap and the bunny statue, so when the button is pressed, two darts fire and a bunny is spawned. The bunnies run over the button and get killed and spawn a new bunny. I literally haven't had it stop in the last 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom