• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mikey-

Tried the demon scythe method and put on some jungle armor. Does he speed up at the end? I killed him this time (yay!) but it seemed like he was on my tail towards the very end. Only had 100 or so health left.

Thanks for the tip duckroll! Had to down a few battle potions and kill the demons because I never had that weapon. It has become an instant favorite, so good!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey, lookie what I found:

This is me playing 800x600 in a 1200x900 window using Sizer.

It's not perfect, as 1.5x sized sprites will always come out a bit shittier than a perfect 2x size, but it's nice to have something for those who want things to be larger yet still in a window. You can mess with any window resolution you want. I also have it set up for 720p running in a 900p window.

balddemon

Banned
dMTLn.jpg

lol

charsace

I just noticed that the copper shortsword I start with is labeled as strong copper shortsword. Is it possible to craft better versions of weapons?

Sciz

I just noticed that the copper shortsword I start with is labeled as strong copper shortsword. Is it possible to craft better versions of weapons?

You usually get a random prefix when you first craft or find a weapon or accessory. Most of them are varying degrees of positive, some are negative. Eventually you'll unlock an NPC who will randomly change the prefix for a price.

Grinchy

Banned
Eh, what for? I want as much screen estate as possible for everything - especially mining.

lol you ever try playing on a 26'' 1920x1200 resolution monitor? I love the screen estate, but I can't see a damn thing in my inventory. I just want to make the UI bigger while playing everything else at my native resolution. Maybe there's a mod for this though, I haven't checked.

IceMarker

Freedom is up and now being hosted on official Terraria server software, rather than Host & Play! Feel free to drop by! (72.19.41.13:7777)
I'll be hosting for hours on end until Saturday! (Not 24/7 though...)

OSlSk.png

Rules:
1. Don't build anywhere near spawn, that's from the left side of the castle to the farthest building on the right.
2. When fighting the hard mode bosses, share loot with whoever helped out.
3. Join team blue as soon as you enter!

Hope you stop by, I'll also send out invites/reminders via Steam if you're on my friends list!
Also, don't forget we have a Terraria channel in Mumble!

Dice

My new Excalibur magically disappeared. Awesome.

Oh well, I didn't really like it anyway. Souls of Might are also easy to get now since my magical harp trashes the destroyer so easily.

balddemon

Banned
I had to do a system restore, so whatever I did yesterday (including killing WoF) has to be redone. That's probably 5 hours gone :( I will also probably have to redig my hellevator :(

If there is one thing I'm glad about, its that Iget a 2nd chance to stop the corruption....any tips on that?

edit: well thats nice....apparently the system restore didn't affect my saves?

Vlad

Eh, unless I end up having some sort of a revelation, I think the new bosses might have just completely turned me off of the game.

After getting a full set of Adamantite armor, upgrading my laser rifle, and making a Phasesaber, I figure that I'll try taking on one of the bosses. Checking out the crafting options, I figure I'll try for the Destroyer. About a minute later, the fight was over. Lasers everywhere and I'm pretty much killed immediately. Wondering why I bothered spending all that time looking for the Adamantite to make the armor, I take a crack at The Twins. Again, near instant death.

Still, at least now I know what kind of fights the two are, so I refarm souls of Light/Night and take another crack at it. I end up doing ok on the twins by alternating with a clockwork assault rifle with cursed bullets (seems to do the most damage, given what I've got access to) and the laser rifle. I use a gravitation potion to try and get a little more maneuverability, and it works rather well. I'm able to stay away from the two eyes and fire back fairly well. Problem is, since they've got 48,000 hitpoints between them, it ended up taking forever. I even focused on one of the eyes in the hopes of at least getting some drops before I eventually died, but no luck, they wore me down before I could kill either of them.

As far as The Destroyer goes... well.. I still haven't figured out the trick to staying alive for more than a minute or so with him. Haven't even tried Skeletron prime yet.

I wouldn't even mind dying so much if it weren't such a gigantic pain to farm for the souls to summon the damn things in the first place. Even with a battle potion and water candle, it still takes way too long, since the souls drop so infrequently.

Thing is, the other four bosses I found to be much more entertaining to fight. Sure, I tied the first few times I fought them, but there was a chance to learn their patterns and limit the amount of damage you take. Both the Twins and the Destroyer just seem to bombard you with so much crap that it seems like it's just a matter of having the right buffs and getting lucky.

Or maybe there's a trick to both fights that I haven't yet come across...

mike23

Eh, unless I end up having some sort of a revelation, I think the new bosses might have just completely turned me off of the game.

After getting a full set of Adamantite armor, upgrading my laser rifle, and making a Phasesaber, I figure that I'll try taking on one of the bosses. Checking out the crafting options, I figure I'll try for the Destroyer. About a minute later, the fight was over. Lasers everywhere and I'm pretty much killed immediately. Wondering why I bothered spending all that time looking for the Adamantite to make the armor, I take a crack at The Twins. Again, near instant death.

Still, at least now I know what kind of fights the two are, so I refarm souls of Light/Night and take another crack at it. I end up doing ok on the twins by alternating with a clockwork assault rifle with cursed bullets (seems to do the most damage, given what I've got access to) and the laser rifle. I use a gravitation potion to try and get a little more maneuverability, and it works rather well. I'm able to stay away from the two eyes and fire back fairly well. Problem is, since they've got 48,000 hitpoints between them, it ended up taking forever. I even focused on one of the eyes in the hopes of at least getting some drops before I eventually died, but no luck, they wore me down before I could kill either of them.

As far as The Destroyer goes... well.. I still haven't figured out the trick to staying alive for more than a minute or so with him. Haven't even tried Skeletron prime yet.

I wouldn't even mind dying so much if it weren't such a gigantic pain to farm for the souls to summon the damn things in the first place. Even with a battle potion and water candle, it still takes way too long, since the souls drop so infrequently.

Thing is, the other four bosses I found to be much more entertaining to fight. Sure, I tied the first few times I fought them, but there was a chance to learn their patterns and limit the amount of damage you take. Both the Twins and the Destroyer just seem to bombard you with so much crap that it seems like it's just a matter of having the right buffs and getting lucky.

See if you can make a Gravitation potion or two to fly around. It's much easier to avoid them. Or you could build a big building out of wood platforms so you can easily jump up and drop down. Also, play at as high a resolution as you can so that you can stay far away.

If you aren't too concerned with playing the game straight, you can go in and copy your My Games\Terraria\Players folder and restore it after you lose a fight so you don't lose the item.

VandalD

I felt the same as you as far as dying over and over and having to refarm the materials, particularly with The Twins.

There's no real trick to the Twins that I know of, besides proper use of a Gravitation potion. If you're using magic, I would say don't fight them again until you get Crystal Storm. It's a great spell all around.

The Destroyer is much easier if you build an arena. That way you won't get spammed by lasers from all over the place. Encase an area in blocks, lure the Destroyer to you, then use weapons that pierce, like a Dark Spear, Demon Scythe, etc. Prioritize killing the probes. The hearts they drop will help keep you alive.

I posted videos to the three hardmode bosses earlier in the thread if that'll give you ideas, and I'm sure there's a lot of others out there too.

The M.O.B

Yes they do, just make sure you have the requirements still fulfilled. Gotta have a gun in your inventory for the Arms Dealer to come back after he dies, etc.

Well they haven't come back yet........It has been at least 2 game days and not a single soul has returned. Maybe it is because my entire house is surrounded by the corruption?

Dice

If there is one thing I'm glad about, its that Iget a 2nd chance to stop the corruption....any tips on that?
http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Holy_Water

Jihad that shit. 500 of these will turn a decently sized corrupt area into hallow. I used it on the area to the left of my base. Also, run the surface planting hallowed seeds every screen length.

Though, I don't want to kill the corruption until I get all the items I want. A full Hallowed Amor set, Megashark, Flamethrower, and motherfuckin Gungnir!

Vlad

Well they haven't come back yet........It has been at least 2 game days and not a single soul has returned. Maybe it is because my entire house is surrounded by the corruption?

Yeah, that'll do it. The NPCs won't spawn in a home if the corruption is too close. Use the question mark tool in the NPC menu to check if a house is livable or not.

Oh, and I'm absolutely loving the Shift-click functionality they added in 1.1. It's wonderful not having to dedicate hotbar space to tools and torches any more.

Done with finals yessssssss!! Time for some Terraria, Skyrim, and Skyward Sword, can't fucking wait.

I finally fought a goblin army last night so I need to find the Goblin Tinkerer. Hope it doesn't take too long because I need my auto pause.

Dice

The one feature I want: Auto-trash list for items. No, I don't want any fucking ebonstone or corrupt seeds, I have like 5000 blinkroot, gems are worthless, silt is even more worthless, I have a fairy so I don't need torches or glowsticks, etc. I hate having to manually trash stuff all the time just to have space when something I do want drops. This in itself is the reason to have autopause on, but that isn't possible in multiplayer.

duckroll

They should introduce a garbage monster pet in the next patch. You simply put the items you DON'T want into the pet's inventory, and he'll follow you around and eat all of those items instead of letting you pick them up. It'll be the best feature of all time.

Dice

They should introduce a garbage monster pet in the next patch. You simply put the items you DON'T want into the pet's inventory, and he'll follow you around and eat all of those items instead of letting you pick them up. It'll be the best feature of all time.
Oh that's really good. Totally fits the style of the game and they wouldn't have to introduce a new type of menu.

I agree with the auto-trash stuff. I was really disappointed when I found out the current trash slot doesn't automatically fill up. Like if I put 5 dirt in the trash and then collect 50 more dirt it all just goes into a new slot in my inventory... it should really all just stack inside the trash can with the other dirt . Really though, we'd need multiple slots. Not sure if a companion monster would be the most convenient option but it seems kind of cool idea.

Dice

Speaking of blinkroot, I propose a revision of its use. Let's examine...

Featherfall Potion: Let's be real. This potion sucks. You need a feather for it, which means you have to fight harpies, which puts you in danger of Wyvern. This means you obviously kick ass by that point, which means you have other options for not letting the ground hurt you. So screw this potion and what does blinking have to do with landing softly? Blinkroot is pointless here.
Gravitation Potion: Okay, it makes sense because this is advanced stuff.
Hunter Potion: Makes sense because blinking is kind of like a radar screen.
Invisibility Potion: Reasonable enough, but WTF is the point of this? Enemies always find me anyway. Plus you can only see yourself by your weapon. Broke-ass potion.
Night Owl Potion: Makes sense, but the potion doesn't help much.
Spelunker Potion: Top-teir potion. This stuff is amaaaazing. Use of blinkroot makes total sense, too.
Swiftness Potion: Only useful for boss fights. Wouldn't make many of them.

My proposal: Take blinkroot out of featherfall and swiftness potions and change the Shine recipe to use blinkroot instead of daybloom. That would in itself make people like blinkroot and validate the large quantities of it in the world. I mean, spelunker potion is awesome but by the time you are wanting to use it frequently (finding rare ores) you're moving efficiently enough that you won't blast through a lot of them.

I get that daybloom makes more sense for Shine potion, but it's used for so many other things that are actually useful and there isn't near as much of it in the world. Making shine more accessible would also make people not as pissed off about OoL sucking now, yet doesn't invalidate the fairy because shine is still a consumable. Right now there isn't enough daybloom to make a whole lot of shine, and a person is likely to not use them at all so they don't get accustomed to it only to run out of it too easily.

I think I'll post this on the TO forums...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I like this idea. It can get a bit annoying when you're deep underground and your inventory is nearly full due to the dirt and stone that your guy automatically picks up. Obviously you can delete that stuff, but those slots will get filled up again as soon as you start digging. I think it would be neat if they added a ledger that lists all the items you've found, and in that ledger you could check a box next to a particular item that stops it from being added to your inventory.

duckroll

What people want is a way not to pick up shit. It's definitely something that is becoming increasingly more of a problem as the game expands itself. It's just a minor issue in the first few hours, but once you get to hardmode and you start trying to make loot runs or mining runs for new ores, it's a real fucking hassle when your inventory slots get filled up along the way with shit like mushrooms, pixie dust, dirt blocks, ebonsand blocks, ebonstone blocks, glowsticks, blinkroot, blinkroot seeds, etc.

Sciz

If you don't mind cheesing it, get a cross from a mimic and lay down some hellstone bricks for a floor where you want to fight. Swig a health regen potion and equip a regen band and you'll regain health faster than you lose it from the hellstone, while being invincible 99% of the time. Equip whatever else you want in terms of offense and defense and go to town. Doesn't work so well against Skeletron Prime, but the other two just get wrecked.

duckroll

If you don't mind cheesing it, get a cross from a mimic and lay down some hellstone bricks for a floor where you want to fight. Swig a health regen potion and equip a regen band and you'll regain health faster than you lose it from the hellstone, while being invincible 99% of the time. Equip whatever else you want in terms of offense and defense and go to town. Doesn't work so well against Skeletron Prime, but the other two just get wrecked.

This sounds like the best idea ever. Might as well throw a Starcloak into the picture too for free hits.

Atomski

O.O

Sciz

Yep, a Starcloak pairs well with the trick, especially against the Destroyer. If you don't want to use hellstone for whatever reason, trapping yourself beneath some sand or silt works well too, with the added benefit of soaking some of the incoming projectiles. Have to be careful not to wander out of it, though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just beat the Wall of Flesh a day or two ago in my game. I feel like a noob again! Everything hurts like hell and soaks up damage like crazy. Also, a unicorn ran through the ground floor of my house during a blood moon and mass killed 5 or 6 NPCs.

Terraria is awesome.

I just spent all day cleaning up a part of a world that got corrupted that was making a home unusable. I had to spray purification powder everywhere, dig into every corner to spray some more in hard to reach spots, create new tunnels just to get rid of corruption hiding under the surface, destroy a bunch of stones that keep on turning into Ebonstone, constantly going back to find that something got corrupted again, trying to make sure Corruptors won't spawn near the base, etc etc.

And I'll probably return later to find it all undone by a spot that was missed.

Feels bad, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom