• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize that existed. I'll use that for a part of the world where Corruption and Hallowed are next to each other and I want to get the Corruption farther from the base there (we have two bases we travel between).

VandalD

Christmas update looks cool. Wonder how they'll handle the snow. It looks too thick in places for it to have turned or covered blocks into snow. Guess it'll be a new biome instead of snow just happening, and a new world will be required.

Just reconfirmed that my connection can't handle Terraria! I was Aterra - the one somehow falling to their death on login and probably not hitting the Twins at all. Good times.

Vlad

Woohoo! Finally managed to beat the Destroyer. Didn't have to resort to any weird tricks aside from building a large rectangle to fight him in in the first place.

Ended up spending quite a lot of time figuring out every buff I could get. Ended up going in with a bunch of various potions (Ironskin, Thorns, Regeneration, Hunter), as well as the Well Fed and Clairvoyance buffs.

On top of that, I think the biggest lifesaver was the Philosopher's Stone. Being able to chug a health potion 15 seconds sooner ended up saving my ass more than once.

One thing that I noticed on about my sixth attempt at the fight was that when the Destroyer's body was between me and the floating probes, my sword wasn't hitting the probes, even though it looked like it should have. This lead to many instances of me swinging away, thinking I was damaging them, but they were completely unaffected and pelting me with lasers. I ended up using the Dao of Pow for most of the fight, with the occasional Demon Scythe to help clear the area of probes.

IceMarker

Christmas update looks cool. Wonder how they'll handle the snow. It looks too thick in places for it to have turned or covered blocks into snow. Guess it'll be a new biome instead of snow just happening, and a new world will be required.

Just reconfirmed that my connection can't handle Terraria! I was Aterra - the one somehow falling to their death on login and probably not hitting the Twins at all. Good times.

was wondering why you kept d/cing lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
someone stole my Adamantite furnace from my house on Haryu's server ._.

Don't have anything placed in MP worlds that you can't afford to lose.

Wish there was a way to lock down stuff.

There is a way to lock down stuff and prevent theft/destruction/vandalism. It involves the server mod software, w/c isn't out yet. They said ETA for the stuff is end of the week, w/c we are near, so we'll see...

In the mean time, please remember not to put anything important on the server, at least, not until we get those mods installed.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I now have everything I want.

What I carry with me:
Hallowed Armor, melee & mana tops
Godly Hamdrax
Godly Gungnir
Godly Dao of Pow
Five Light Discs
Unreal Megahark
Unreal Flamethrower
Mythical Rainbow Rod
Mythical Laser Rifle
Mystic Magical Harp (doesn't have knockback and speed isn't good for the design so it's better to have -25% mana cost)
Fairy Bell, Neptune's Shell (I highly recommend this to all), All 3 power emblems, Dual Hook, Angel Wings, Spectre Boots, Holy Cross, Philosopher's Stone, Obsidian Shield, Mana Flower, Star Cloak, Feral Claws, Band of Regeneration, Shadow Key, Magic Mirror, GPS, 2 stacks of Greater Healing & Mana Potions, 1000 Cursed Bullets, a couple stacks of gel.

That's a lot of stuff to haul, but now that I have it, I don't really want anything else that I'd need to collect things for, so the extra space really is extra. Also after having used all these, I find that this is the best approach for rollin through hallowed/corrupt underground.

Keep Hamdrax between Light Discs and Gingnir for quick mousehweel switching.
Bats & Slimes: Light Discs because their flight patterns and knockbacks are too crazy
Chaos Elemental & Skeletons: Hamdrax because it keeps them at bay but doesn't send them back so far that they'll jump again
Fish: Gungnir from above, light discs otherwise, but if a crowd is closing in, hamdrax.
Worms & Clingers: Gingnir, preferably through some walls
Charging crowds: Hamdrax for maximum forward stoppage and speedy strikes
Scattered crowds: Light discs to make everyone back up and search out their positions
Floating/hanging crowds: Gingnir for hitting multiple enemies in one swing

This is total domination for harvesting souls.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Crystal Storm is the first Hard Mode-level weapon I got. It's AWESOME, but I'm annihilating my mana bar. It doesn't help that my Crystal Storm is +20% mana usage too, and costs 5 mana per shot. Any advice besides stacking Mana Flowers or something?

Vlad

Crystal Storm is the first Hard Mode-level weapon I got. It's AWESOME, but I'm annhilating my mana bar. It doesn't help that my Crystal Storm is +20% mana usage too, and costs 5 mana per shot. Any advice besides stacking Mana Flowers or something?

Mana flower? You mean mana potion?

I've found that the crystal ball (sold by the wizard) is incredibly useful, especially if you're about to take on a boss or something. If you don't know, right-clicking a placed crystal ball gives you an extra 20 maximum mana, as well as boost to your magic damage and critical hit chance. The effect lasts for 10 minutes and doesn't cost anything to use.

Also, your mana recharges faster if you're standing still.

duckroll

Crystal Storm is the first Hard Mode-level weapon I got. It's AWESOME, but I'm annihilating my mana bar. It doesn't help that my Crystal Storm is +20% mana usage too, and costs 5 mana per shot. Any advice besides stacking Mana Flowers or something?

You don't need to stack Mana Flowers. You just need a Mana Flower and then stock up on Mana Potions.

IceMarker

Re-forge until at least Adept or Mythical and wear Magic Helms on the new armors?

Akuun

Mana flower? You mean mana potion?

I've found that the crystal ball (sold by the wizard) is incredibly useful, especially if you're about to take on a boss or something. If you don't know, right-clicking a placed crystal ball gives you an extra 20 maximum mana, as well as boost to your magic damage and critical hit chance. The effect lasts for 10 minutes and doesn't cost anything to use.

Also, your mana recharges faster if you're standing still.
Yeah, I've been using a crystal ball + crystal storm to farm Wyverns to get souls of flight for myself and my friends. 31 damage spray of crystals = so good.

Mana flower is an item made from nature's gift + a mana potion. It gives 8% less mana consumption and will automatically scarf any mana potions if you use a spell without enough mana. Pretty good, but it still doesn't really solve the fact that I can hold down the key and burn a full mana bar with mana boosting gear in seconds.

I didn't know you regenerated faster from standing still though, so I'll try that (I spent a lot of time running and dodging wyverns while going WTF MANA BAR XD). Thanks.

Crystal Storm, like most hardmode items, is FUCKING expensive to reforge. I think 50 gold or something. :(
Yeah, that was my exact experience. "+20% mp usage on a machine gun item!? screw that *goes to tinkerer* ...WTF 59 GOLD TO REFORGE!?!?"

So I started hardmode last night and I really love that it almost makes you replay the game over again. Finding the new ore types makes me giddy.

And props to whoever recommended the Demon Scythe for beginners. I reforged a Mythical type and it's amazing.

I haven't been able to play on my friend's server in a while but I've been playing my single player world off and on. I'm trying to figure out if Adamantite is really as rare as it seems or if something's screwed up.

Last time I played on my friend's server I stumbled on a couple of small veins of Adamantite that I couldn't mine because I only had a Cobalt Drill. Now though, on my single player world, I'm absolutely decked in Mythril Armor and have been running around with a Mythril Drill for ages. I've probably used about 20 Spelunker Potions over the course of a dozen underground excavations. Usually branching off about 3/5 the way down my Hellevator and ending in Hell. For the life of me I can't find Adamantite - a lot of Mythril, tons of cobalt, but that's it (well, plus copper, iron, silver, and gold of course).

When I originally destroyed the Demon Altars I broke three and was blessed with all three minerals then, not knowing any better, broke a 4th and 5th and it said my world was blessed with Cobalt and Mythril again. Did I screw up and un-bless my world with Adamantite by breaking more than 3 demon altars or is Adamantite just really really hard to find?

duckroll

So I started hardmode last night and I really love that it almost makes you replay the game over again. Finding the new ore types makes me giddy.

Yeah this sort of content upgrade is what I would be happy to pay for. Getting it for free just makes Terraria's value that much greater.

Akuun

I love the Hard Mode update. It's like Terraria with New Game+. You have all your "end game" equipment but suddenly you need to use every bit of it just to survive long enough to get better gear! Awesome.

And props to whoever recommended the Demon Scythe for beginners. I reforged a Mythical type and it's amazing.
Is that the spell that fires those slow-moving crescent projectiles? I didn't like them due to the speed but are they really that good? I've been mostly using a Flamelash as my main weapon (and mobile torch) before I got Crystal Storm.

Vlad

Mana flower is an item made from nature's gift + a mana potion. It gives 8% less mana consumption and will automatically scarf any mana potions if you use a spell without enough mana. Pretty good, but it still doesn't really solve the fact that I can hold down the key and burn a full mana bar with mana boosting gear in seconds.

Ohhhh, that sounds quite useful. I don't think I ever used the Nature's Gift in previous versions, so I never bothered looking at the crafting recipes for it. Actually, now that I think aobut it, I don't even think I have one in my current game. Time to go hunt one down.

Yeah, that was my exact experience. "+20% mp usage on a machine gun item!? screw that *goes to tinkerer* ...WTF 59 GOLD TO REFORGE!?!?"

I'm getting tempted to rebuild my tinkerer's house so that the floor is made of those disappearing blocks over a pit of lava. I've wasted SOOO much money trying to reforge my Crystal Storm into something good, but have yet to actually get anything. When I first made it, it started out as a "Slow" one, so I figured, "hey, I've got a platinum piece, and everybody says how good the spell is, may as well invest in reforging it". I reforged the damn thing twice, and that no-good tinkerer reforged my Slow Crystal Storm into another Slow Crystal Storm... TWICE.

So, determined to keep throwing good money after bad, I saved up the money for another reforge, and he reforged it as Sluggish! I'm starting to think that it'd just be easier to just craft new ones.

Is that the spell that fires those slow-moving crescent projectiles? I didn't like them due to the speed but are they really that good? I've been mostly using a Flamelash as my main weapon (and mobile torch) before I got Crystal Storm.

Yeah it's dropped by Demons in Hell. Pre-1.1

Very useful for flying enemies and ones that rush you.

Akuun

Yeah, I'm probably gonna just craft new ones. It takes less time than finding 50+ gold, plus my money is shared between my friends and I already spent a decent bit here and there reforging Normal Mode items before we turned on Hard Mode.

Crystal Shards seem fairly easy to come by, and I found a fairly easy spot to farm Souls of Light in my world: I just grappling hook to a wall over a lava pit monsters often jump into the lava below while trying to get at me.

I haven't experimented with wiring and disappearing blocks yet. How do you make disappearing trap doors over lava pits? I want to construct a few near my house for comed-er, defensive purposes during blood moons.

Yeah it's dropped by Demons in Hell. Pre-1.1
Very useful for flying enemies and ones that rush you.
I've been using the Flamelash for that but I'll give the Demon Scythe another whirl.

If they get close or come in groups, I switch to a Sunfury. Those ball-type weapons are so good.

Vlad

I've been using the Flamelash for that but I'll give the Demon Scythe another whirl.

If they get close or come in groups, I switch to a Sunfury. Those ball-type weapons are so good.

I tend to only use the Demon Scythe on slower-moving enemies or large bosses. I've found that it works great against the Destroyer at the right angle, since each scythe can hit multiple times.

Akuun

I tend to only use the Demon Scythe on slower-moving enemies or large bosses. I've found that it works great against the Destroyer at the right angle, since each scythe can hit multiple times.
I definitely use the ball weapons for that type of enemy. At the right angle, things like the Sunfury rake damage on multiple segments, and then deals damage again on the way back.

But ya, I'll give the Demon Scythe another try when I get home and see if I like it.

Vlad

I definitely use the ball weapons for that type of enemy. At the right angle, things like the Sunfury rake damage on multiple segments, and then deals damage again on the way back.

See, that's the thing that I've been trying to figure out.., whether a flail or a sword is the better approach. The flail does seem to hit more segments, but there's that delay that happens when it's still in the air and not hitting anything. A sword might not do as much damage per hit, but you can deal constant damage.

duckroll

A lot of spells and weapons depend a lot on the user's skill and preference in terms of application. I find this aspect of design in Terraria pretty interesting, because it introduces balance in a way which is skill-based. For swords, they offer nothing special, the application is standard and there is basically no advantage or disadvantage between players using the same swords. So they are 100% stat reliant. On the other hand, when you get to more advanced stuff like flails, guns, and spells, a lot of them aren't entirely governed by the stats alone. A strong flail given to a player who isn't familiar with using it or isn't comfortable with that style of control could well be less effective than a weapon with lower stats. This is where the real divide between "classes" of characters come in, where players are encouraged to specialized and practice with certain types of attacks, and then advance their choice of offense through the higher tiers of that type. It's pretty cool.

Sciz

I haven't been able to play on my friend's server in a while but I've been playing my single player world off and on. I'm trying to figure out if Adamantite is really as rare as it seems or if something's screwed up.

Last time I played on my friend's server I stumbled on a couple of small veins of Adamantite that I couldn't mine because I only had a Cobalt Drill. Now though, on my single player world, I'm absolutely decked in Mythril Armor and have been running around with a Mythril Drill for ages. I've probably used about 20 Spelunker Potions over the course of a dozen underground excavations. Usually branching off about 3/5 the way down my Hellevator and ending in Hell. For the life of me I can't find Adamantite - a lot of Mythril, tons of cobalt, but that's it (well, plus copper, iron, silver, and gold of course).

When I originally destroyed the Demon Altars I broke three and was blessed with all three minerals then, not knowing any better, broke a 4th and 5th and it said my world was blessed with Cobalt and Mythril again. Did I screw up and un-bless my world with Adamantite by breaking more than 3 demon altars or is Adamantite just really really hard to find?

Smash as many altars as you can. Every time you do, it seeds the world with new veins of ore. Adamantite still isn't common (and only spawns in the lower half of the world anyway), but you aren't doing yourself any favors by trying to find it with just one altar's worth available.

Vlad

Smash as many altars as you can. Every time you do, it seeds the world with new veins of ore. Adamantite still isn't common (and only spawns in the lower half of the world anyway), but you aren't doing yourself any favors by trying to find it with just one altar's worth available.

Also worth noting is that the Adamantite seems to spawn VERY deep underground. I've found almost all of mine right on the border of the Underworld, with some of it even embedded in the ash ceiling thereof.

Also, to go back to the earlier discussion of conserving mana, I just noticed that the Adamantite headgear gives you an extra 80 maximum mana, and the set bonus with the headgear gives a further 19% reduction in mana cost, so my Crystal Storm spell is firing for 3 mana a shot.

duckroll

Best place to get Adamantite is to go back on the hell bridge you made for the Wall of Flesh. Run along the bridge, hold a torch, and just fly around using wings to hump to ceiling of Hell. You'll definitely come across some rich deposits here and there. Be careful of the lava though.

Dice

Best place to get Adamantite is to go back on the hell bridge you made for the Wall of Flesh. Run along the bridge, hold a torch, and just fly around using wings to hump to ceiling of Hell. You'll definitely come across some rich deposits here and there. Be careful of the lava though.
Better: Use a spelunker potion and look for the raspberry-colored patches.

Spelunker potion is sogood.gif and also if you have a hellevator there is a 94% chance you will see adamantite on the way down if you're in 1080p.

Dice

Summoning King Slime because in my 130 hours of Terraria not one has ever spawned. Killing him with flamethrower for the lulz.

Spelunker potion is sogood.gif and also if you have a hellevator there is a 94% chance you will see adamantite on the way down if you're in 1080p.

They really should update the Spelunker Potion to remove the off colors and make it the normal color with some shine around the whole deposit. For a few of ore types you have to be right up close to tell what kind of ore it is.

King Slime is like all of those jokes about Slowpoke being so late to party. He didn't show up for me until well into hard mode.

That motherfucker spawned like my second game day in with my new character. I only had copper armor or something. Got destroyed.

Akuun

A lot of spells and weapons depend a lot on the user's skill and preference in terms of application.
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I play in a world with two friends and though we share resources and make gear for each other, each of us have gravitated towards different equipment types and forms of fighting.

See, that's the thing that I've been trying to figure out.., whether a flail or a sword is the better approach. The flail does seem to hit more segments, but there's that delay that happens when it's still in the air and not hitting anything. A sword might not do as much damage per hit, but you can deal constant damage.
I think it really depends on situation. Pre-Hard Mode, I preferred the sunfury for close range stuff, but I still carried a sword to cover the arc above me, because a flail is unwieldy for that situation. Haven't played Hard Mode enough to tell if my preferences will change.

The way I see it, a flail is better than a sword iff (if and only if) you can swing it in a way that optimizes the flail's trajectory. For example, if you can corner a group of enemies against a wall, you can do obscene DPS because you can fire the flail repeatedly against the wall, and it'll do damage both ways while returning to you very quickly for a second attack. Similarly, its properties makes it good against worm enemies because it goes right through each segment and can sometimes be pulled back through them, resulting in a long, slow swing but one that does lots of damage the whole time.

Having said that, a flail is worse than a sword if you are not in a position that gives you ways to optimize the flail's trajectory. For example, if you swung a flail at a bat flying over or under you in an open area, the flail would likely hit the bat on the way out, but then it would fly through empty air, drop, and then slowly reel back in, probably not hitting the bat on the way back. The result would be a single hit of damage that takes so long to redo that a sword could probably have hit the same target 3 or 4 times in the same amount of time.

Jira

Man the bug in Mediumcore mode where upon death ALL of your mods are wiped from your gear BLOWS. So this has made me stop playing until it gets fixed, I've already went through everything once on a SC character so I'm not missing out on playing.

Ah, damn... good to know, I'll go smash them all then. Was scared it was just repeating the message or, worse yet, removing the old veins after it cycled through them. I had gone deep looking for Adamantite but only actually checked the underworld once or twice - didn't think it would spawn all the way down in the ash but I'll definitely look down there now.

And yeah... spelunker potions rule, I use them constantly. Only wish it was easier to identify the ore with that super intense glow on everything. They should really color balance it a bit different or just outline the ores and show them in regular 100% brightness.

I haven't experimented with wiring and disappearing blocks yet. How do you make disappearing trap doors over lava pits? I want to construct a few near my house for comed-er, defensive purposes during blood moons.
Just place the disappearing blocks over the lava like a bridge and run a wire through them up to a switch. When you click the switch the bridge will disappear (just turns dark) and everything will fall through.

In my friend's world we built a starcase like structure on each side of our base leading to a wall/gate entrance. At the top of the stairs we constructed a large vat and filled it with lava and at the bottom, in front of the door, a reservoir with a stone block bridge every other block. When we flip the switch both vats empty and lava falls from the sky and flows down the stairs into the reservoir where we have pumps move the lava back into the vat once it's finished. Not sure if it's more efficient than just removing the floor out from enemies but it's way cool.

Akuun

In my friend's world we built a starcase like structure on each side of our base leading to a wall/gate entrance. At the top of the stairs we constructed a large vat and filled it with lava and at the bottom, in front of the door, a reservoir with a stone block bridge every other block. When we flip the switch both vats empty and lava falls from the sky and flows down the stairs into the reservoir where we have pumps move the lava back into the vat once it's finished. Not sure if it's more efficient than just removing the floor out from enemies but it's way cool.
Medieval-style murder holes. That's awesome. XD That sounds good against flying enemies, too!

We had a few cool boulder traps as well but the boulders break when you use them so it's a bit annoying with no way to auto-build them again.

duckroll

IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

WHO THE FRUIT PASTED THE SERVER INFO ON THAT WEBSITE AGAIN?!?

It's probably no one on GAF honestly. If the thread can be viewed in public, I won't be surprised if some people just do searches for Terraria servers on Google or whatever, and just fill public lists that way.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably no one on GAF honestly. If the thread can be viewed in public, I won't be surprised if some people just do searches for Terraria servers on Google or whatever, and just fill public lists that way.

*sigh* I just love it how all of sudden its happening now, but never happened in the last couple of months of the server's existence.

Just need to hang in there until I get those stupid server mods installed. At least one of the ones we use is kinda/sorta ready. Just need to wait for the others.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Or, you know, it could be an unverified member :p Maybe hide the server info next time if you don't want idiots on there?

Like I said before, some of my best players arent on NeoGAF (most of those people are waiting for approval, :p ). Rather not punish them and deny them access to the server too...

Permission levels, region locking, all those things, I'm waiting for. That's what kept the old server going, and that's what we're gonna use. I just need to wait for em.

duckroll

*sigh* I just love it how all of sudden its happening now, but never happened in the last couple of months of the server's existence.

Just need to hang in there until I get those stupid server mods installed. At least one of the ones we use is kinda/sorta ready. Just need to wait for the others.

Not sure why you're surprised. Usually with games like this, there's only a surge in interest for public servers every time a major content update is available. Before 1.1, I'm sure there weren't a ton of people every day looking for lists of public servers to play on. After 1.1 though and the recent Steam sale though, it's not really surprising.

I think it's great that we have a server for the community here, but it would be naive to think that without any security nothing would go wrong. Without security mods being available, a password might have been a good alternative. Is it a hassle? Yes. But I don't think there are hundreds of people on GAF playing on the server, so those who want to requesting the password would not be that bad.

It's unfortunate that this keeps happening, but there's really no way to prevent it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom