• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, some of those statues are awesome.

Just finished off the new Destroyer boss. Holy crap.
Nowhere near as hard as the Twins though, I still can't even put a dent on those eyes.

Dying to get some Sight Souls.

mike23

Damn, some of those statues are awesome.

Just finished off the new Destroyer boss. Holy crap.
Nowhere near as hard as the Twins though, I still can't even put a dent on those eyes.

Dying to get some Sight Souls.

Did you solo the Destroyer?

I was able to kill the Twins using an Adamantite Repeater and lots of cursed arrows. The key was Gravitation potions for me. Fairly easy to avoid getting hit if you alternate between flying to space and towards the ground.

Did you solo the Destroyer?

I was able to kill the Twins using an Adamantite Repeater and lots of cursed arrows. The key was Gravitation potions for me. Fairly easy to avoid getting hit if you alternate between flying to space and towards the ground.

Yeah, soloed the Destroyer.

What sort of damage are you doing with the Adam Repeater and Cursed arrows?
I even tried to use Star Cannon and the ~90 stars I had stored up, but they were pretty useless as well.

I've gotten one of the eyes down to the second form, but after that I just seem to do piss-ant damage and siphon off my life to the secondary attacks.

Don't suppose you have 3 Sight Souls to trade?

balddemon

Banned
wow Murph, we are tearing up your world haha. Summoned a couple of Eater of Worlds by destroying SHadow Orbs...theres now 3 meteors on your world somewhere. I'm looking for them when its morning.

VandalD

It's good to know that at least one person has soloed the Twins. That fight is absolutely ridiculous. Got them down to one pissed off eye and there were just too many lasers for me to handle. Went through about 30 greater mana potions while spamming Crystal Storm at them.

You might not think it, but Spectre Boots and Wings stack well. The wings alone are nice, but having the boots increases the flight time of the wings by quite a bit. Ditched my Cloud in a Balloon for it as soon as I found out they were so awesome together.

IceMarker

Harlan I suggest at least putting up a password for a little while and email tag it.

--

In other news, I do like to host my own server now and then, I'm on Host & Play though so the server is not 24/7, only online if I'm online in Steam, and I'm not on another players server, feel free to join whenever you can. I'll be hosting tonight so jump on if Harlan's is full. (72.19.41.13:7777)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
VERY productive night for the "secondary" server. Built a nice place, cleared a lot of land for smooth surface travel, everyone got nice resources, we got NPCs up to the mechanic and will go get the tinkerer and wizard tomorrow. We'll probably also probably set up traps that will allow building access be more open.

Went meteor hunting toward the end when there were only two of us. I got meteor armor and space gun, so I think that'll work well for jungle raids since it was working in the dungeon (strobe light combat lol) I have very specific needs so I'll probably be dropping a lot of stuff that I don't want in chests back at the base.

The sad event of the night was me accidentally trashing my only magic mirror... :((((
...but this character has no mana yet, anyway. :\

mike23

Yeah, soloed the Destroyer.

What sort of damage are you doing with the Adam Repeater and Cursed arrows?
I even tried to use Star Cannon and the ~90 stars I had stored up, but they were pretty useless as well.

I've gotten one of the eyes down to the second form, but after that I just seem to do piss-ant damage and siphon off my life to the secondary attacks.

Don't suppose you have 3 Sight Souls to trade?

I don't remember exactly, but I was doing somewhere in the ~60 range with ~120 crits on the Destroyer with Hellfire Arrows.
I basically just flew straight up as fast as I could while shooting straight down then dodged to the side and shot them as I fell down. Had Gravitation + Featherfall potions and a shit ton of arrows. My bow is also pretty well reforged too. I found I was able to fly just outside the range of their laser move. Took several tries. Sorry, don't have any extra Sights, saving up for the repeater.

On another note, I just soloed the Destroyer with Hellfire Arrows. I didn't see if I was getting multiple hits from each explosion though. Took me a bunch of tries. The hardest part was the Wyverns that would show up constantly. Every time I died it was because of one of them. They fly too fast and screw up my flight pattern. Again I used gravitation + featherfall. If I ever needed some HP, I just flew close to the ground which was littered with hearts.

balddemon

Banned
VERY productive night for the "secondary" server. Built a nice place, cleared a lot of land for smooth surface travel, everyone got nice resources, we got NPCs up to the mechanic and will go get the tinkerer and wizard tomorrow. We'll probably also probably set up traps that will allow building access be more open.

Went meteor hunting toward the end when there were only two of us. I got meteor armor and space gun, so I think that'll work well for jungle raids since it was working in the dungeon (strobe light combat lol) I have very specific needs so I'll probably be dropping a lot of stuff that I don't want in chests back at the base.

The sad event of the night was me accidentally trashing my only magic mirror... :((((
...but this character has no mana yet, anyway. :\

QFT, i was about to have a seizure in that dungeon D: but that space gun + meteor armor combo is waaaaaaay OP.

I'll be throwing whats left from my demonite and meteor looting into this server (that I got it from). I like this server a little bit more than Harlans :p it's a lot less crowded. Definitely gonna be on tomorrow after church for a while lol.

In other news, on my own server, I dismantled a goblin army in about 3 minutes with heaps of spiky balls. Those things are amazing - just spam'em and watch the body count pile up. I think I looted 2500 copper coins at one time. This game is amazing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I may have been mistaken about those server mods popping up today (could have sworn I read somewhere that they were expecting them to drop today), but since the current server map is a wasteland (lol), going to reboot the server map.

So any GAF members out there who still aren't ready for Hard Mode, you'll now have a fighting chance. Please don't go and activate Hard Mode early, we want people to enjoy the game, and not everyone can take Dark Souls level brutality and enjoy it (although I do enjoy DS levels or brutality, BWAHAHAHA).

Server info is still the same, or at least, the named address is the same, IP is different, thanks to the power of rebooting modem. Not going to bother with passwords yet, mainly because remember that online directory that my server apparently showed up on? Yeah, having a password would mean jack, because you can put the password on there too, for everyone to see. So you other guys who have servers too, you're not really protected from it also, none of us are, until we get some server mods going.

I'm not gonna win either way, so I'm going for the path of least resistance. Having a new IP however, does make the listing on that site invalid, so the traffic shouldn't be as bad, until some idiot decides to list the server again.

All right folks, server is live, come on in when yer ready.

EDIT: Doh, didnt update. Okay, server should be accessible now. If you cant login, lemme know.

Kalnos

Banned
btw.. HaRyu.. for some reason when I was hosting with TerrariaClient.exe I would get that issue where my entire connection would die for about one second at seemingly random intervals (5 minutes, 2 hours, ..etc) but after switching to just the 'host and play' option from within the Terraria client itself I no longer have that error.

Seriously makes me wonder if it's something with the server client, but then I imagine most of the code is the same so that's peculiar.

I was the guy playing Hardcore on the secondary server last night, the one that got himself killed by falling down.

That bummed me out so hard. I'm not sure what I'll do if I decide to play on the secondary server again since established characters aren't allowed.

I was the guy playing Hardcore on the secondary server last night, the one that got himself killed by falling down.

That bummed me out so hard. I'm not sure what I'll do if I decide to play on the secondary server again since established characters aren't allowed.

As long as u don't use an high end char to clean up all the dungeons and bosses it's not a problem.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
btw.. HaRyu.. for some reason when I was hosting with TerrariaClient.exe I would get that issue where my entire connection would die for about one second at seemingly random intervals (5 minutes, 2 hours, ..etc) but after switching to just the 'host and play' option from within the Terraria client itself I no longer have that error.

Seriously makes me wonder if it's something with the server client, but then I imagine most of the code is the same so that's peculiar.

Not seeing the issues on my end... I'll check around the Terraria forums to see if anyone is experiencing the same thing, though.

Hm did they change it so that when you smash a Shadow Orb, the chance of a meteorite happens right then instead of the next midnight?

I just smashed a Shadow Orb at 3:35am and I got a meteorite message.

update: alright according to the Wiki you immediately get a message if you smash the orb between midnight and dawn. I recommend doing this from now on because you don't have to wait and you can smash multiple orbs and get multiple meteorites.

ameratsu

I'm about 11 hours in now with my new character, including a couple hours helping a friend learn the ropes.

I've broken two shadow orbs and haven't got any meteors, which kind of sucks. I'm going to trigger the eater of worlds (a few times) so I can make a nightmare pickaxe and some shadow armour. From there I will probably fight skeletron.

Jira

Post-Wall of Flesh Terraria feels like a total full blown MMO expansion pack. Crazy. So awesome.

Yeah it really does, crazy how much content 2 guys can put out in a single patch. Granted there were 4 months between patches but I'll likely have put at the very least 30 hours when I'm done, probably mode. I can't wait to see what is going to be in the xmas patch and beyond.

Haha yup!

Sofa and I just did that on my world and we had a blood/full moon that night. The wraiths/werewolfs/clowns were out in FULL FORCE. Jesus the clowns w/ their bombs ;_;

Oh man, those full moon/blood moon nights are insane.

Had a really nice base built up to that point too. Thinking I was safe inside, as usual, until those damn clowns starting blowing up the walls and letting all Werewolf hell break loose inside my nice little log cabin mansion.. haha..

My missus needed help defeating WoF yesterday. Now she's been cursing the whole time she's playing as the difficulty spike when you first end-game is devastating her toon and the nice little castle she's built. It's a small map and the corruption has already spread to her base too and the Hallow is only like a screen away on the other side haha.. So we're going to be fighting it back tonight.

So much fun since 1.1.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Statue collection is coming along nicely. Guess I'm lucky I don't have more dupes than I do.

http://i.imgur.com/ImeoP.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I was hoping there'd be a faux-Rhydon statue so I could make my own little Indigo Pokemon League.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'm trying to like Terraria, but whenever I start the game I find myself killing some slime, then digging a few meters underground until I can't see sh1t. And, that's it. I exit the game.

How did you guys start to enjoy the game? What did you do the first hour or so? I'm not ready to give up just yet.

I'm trying to like Terraria, but whenever I start the game I find myself killing some slime, then digging a few meters underground until I can't see sh1t. And, that's it. I exit the game.

How did you guys start to enjoy the game? What did you do the first hour or so? I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Farming some woods and killing some jelly monster is what you should do, then you can create torches which can be place on the walls (or ground) so you can see as you go deeper underground.

balddemon

Banned

maybe you should make some torches :p the first hour consists of chopping trees, building a house, stayin alive through the night, and hunting for ore to make armor.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I think I made torches once, but I could never get them to stick to a wall! :p
Alright, will make some more and just dig the sh1t out of the ground. Hopefully it will take me places this time!

I think I made torches once, but I could never get them to stick to a wall! :p
Alright, will make some more and just dig the sh1t out of the ground. Hopefully it will take me places this time!

ya just make sure you are close enough to place the torch at the spot you want to put it at.

P.S. playing alone is no fun.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I started a new character, but I used him for like an hour in a new world. Can I use him on GAF server?

As long as you made him for 1.1, should be fine.

You can get overwhelmed pretty easily if you decide to just dig down immediately.

Like the others suggested before, you'll want to get some torches. Those slimes you fight drop gels, and you combine the gels with wood you would chop down from trees. Your main priorities are to upgrade your equipment the best you can with what you have.

Take your time digging down, you don't want to rush, and you're probably not strong enough, or skilled enough yet, to handle anything in the lower layers. Anything you pick up (nearly everything) can probably be used to craft something. Make sure you use the Guide, talk to him for tips. His tips change, and what he suggests can be used as a milestone you can attempt to achieve. He will also tell you what you could possibly craft with what items you show him, and even tell you what ingredients are needed too.

balddemon

Banned
Man, these multiplayer issues are really frusttrating. My friend can connect to the GAF servers just fine, but not mine. And I can't connect to his server. Anyone have a clue?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Man, these multiplayer issues are really frusttrating. My friend can connect to the GAF servers just fine, but not mine. And I can't connect to his server. Anyone have a clue?

If you're trying to host:

Who is your ISP?
Are you using a router or a modem?
What is your IP address?

Dice

I have now done everything I wanted to do before hardcore mode. In the process, I got TONS of sweet stuff that nobody wants to use because apparently teamwork is cheating. Maybe I should just sell it...

balddemon

Banned
If you're trying to host:

Who is your ISP?
Are you using a router or a modem?
What is your IP address?

ISP is Surewest.
Router.
68.70.87.172 according to whatsmyip.com
Also, I literally just sent you a PM :p

edit: I can't even connect to myself ....

I have now done everything I wanted to do before hardcore mode. In the process, I got TONS of sweet stuff that nobody wants to use because apparently teamwork is cheating. Maybe I should just sell it...

give to me! :)

Sarcasm

ISP is Surewest.
Router.

give to me! :)

If your doing host & play you need to open port 7777 to your router given ip.

If your doing the server console one open any port you want (can't really give you a good one).

You'd still give out your real IP (whatsmyip) and port.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
ISP is Surewest.
Router.

1. (answering your PM) Checking your ip through the command prompt will never give you the actual ip the internet sees you at, so what you just described is normal.

2. If you want to connect to yourself, use 127.0.0.1 (thats how I connect to my server).

3. Pinging 68.70.87.172 shows that the ip is reachable. So that means there's absolutely nothing wrong between the rest of the internet, and your modem/router. However, from the modem/router to your computer, there's a problem.

4. Have you forwarded your ports? Most people who try to host a Terraria game, and have probems, usually don't forward their ports. If you want to forward your ports, use the following site: www.portforward.com
Find your router, find Terraria, follow instructions. You'll probably need to also give your computer a static IP address (its actually not necessary, but it can save yourself a lot of headaches if you do give your computer one).

balddemon

Banned
1. (answering your PM) Checking your ip through the command prompt will never give you the actual ip the internet sees you at, so what you just described is normal.

2. If you want to connect to yourself, use 127.0.0.1 (thats how I connect to my server).

3. Pinging 68.70.87.172 shows that the ip is reachable. So that means there's absolutely nothing wrong between the rest of the internet, and your modem/router. However, from the modem/router to your computer, there's a problem.

4. Have you forwarded your ports? Most people who try to host a Terraria game, and have probems, usually don't forward their ports. If you want to forward your ports, use the following site: www.portforward.com
Find your router, find Terraria, follow instructions. You'll probably need to also give your computer a static IP address (its actually not necessary, but it can save yourself a lot of headaches if you do give your computer one).

Yeah, the port is forwarded. Our IP address is dynamic, but my dad said static ip's cost money + I have that domain from dyn.org I can use, right? If we can't figure this out soon, I'll just mess around on GAF servers.

ediT: yes? http://portforward.com/help/setup_static_ip_address.htm

edit2: could this have something to do with it:
hyJKn.jpg

IceMarker

Some companies give you a free static IP upon request, thankfully mine does that service for free, people use a DNS host for the exact reason of having an easy way to point to your dynamic IP at all times. If you can't get a static IP easily, using a free site like DynDNS is a great step to getting a server up. Just make sure you have 7777 or whatever port you want opened on your server. If you'd like to play on your own server you need to either host & play, or enter your server from a different port than the one you're hosting on. The difference being how up time works on your server and how much control you have over it. Also, Hamachi tends to fuck up server hosts sometimes, it messes with a lot of network connection settings.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The problem is almost never the IP. Doesn't matter if it is static, or dynamic, you can find out what it is and tell whomever is connecting.

The problem almost always is port 7777 being blocked. A little UPNP work on the dev's part would go a long way. :)

Dice

Basically playing solo (since nobody else is on) where I'm not allowed to move to hard mode. Rapidly losing interest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How do you stop Hollow from taking over?

I feel the easiest way is to just plate around your town (including underground) with layers of ash and/or clay.

Hallow and Corruption can't go through those to ensure they don't destroy the Jungle or Underworld biomes.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So, is there any content I'm missing out on by not starting a new world? I've just been playing on my first one and it seems like everything new is showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom