• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why you're surprised. Usually with games like this, there's only a surge in interest for public servers every time a major content update is available. Before 1.1, I'm sure there weren't a ton of people every day looking for lists of public servers to play on. After 1.1 though and the recent Steam sale though, it's not really surprising.

I think it's great that we have a server for the community here, but it would be naive to think that without any security nothing would go wrong. Without security mods being available, a password might have been a good alternative. Is it a hassle? Yes. But I don't think there are hundreds of people on GAF playing on the server, so those who want to requesting the password would not be that bad.

It's unfortunate that this keeps happening, but there's really no way to prevent it. :(

Considering the password option, which at the very least, if it happens again, we'll know if its within a certain subset of people. :p

balddemon

Banned
What are some good lights for permanent use underwater? I'm considering making Chinese Lanterns or stealing some chainlights from the Dungeon. Just wondering if there's anything awesome out there I don't know about.

L00P

Maybe I should just ditch this new character. It's taking me forever to get to the point of awesome like my old character is

Retro

TEdit is finally out, which means I can finally complete my Dryad's Tower / greenhouse. I *could* plant trees and hope they grow the way I want them, but I'd much rather copypasta them into existence. Especially Jungle trees which *can't* be planted.

So, here's that. Quoting since it's kinda big and the quote feature scales down images now...

Click for bigger version.

Looks like the Dryad is falling in love with the Jungle armor I put in her room... hawt. I used quite a bit of Mythril Brick walls for the tower, with copper in there too. The entire structure is wired, allowing you to switch off the lighting in the greenhouse (but not in the dryad's room or the two labs). Chests will store seeds, plant-related items, alchemy ingredients, and potions. There's also a room off to the left for soil storage. And yes, the stairs lead down to a mushroom farm... and a biome lab...

Arctic, Jungle, Ocean and Hell. When the Christmas patch hits I'll probably redo the arctic one, of course, with real snow. Each room has pressure pads just inside the door that turn on the respective colored lighting (white/arctic, yellow/jungle, blue/ocean and red/hell). The ocean biome also has a fish statue in there, wired to produce goldfish as soon as you step into the room.

Fuckin' Arms dealer, that's not your home. Go away.

I also did the "Halls of Healing", which is a hospital / shrine area for the Nurse and potions.

This is just for Healing, Mana and Alchemy potions (Yes, I am keeping them in two places, though they will be located in the side room there, making them less accessable), and a nice place for the Nurse to hang out. Love Pearlstone bricks, but the pearlstone walls have some kind of glitch that causes parts of the brick to tile incorrectly, making them look crappy. Lots of white torches, all the interior torches are linked to a switch near the nurse that can turn them off, but the exterior ones stay on to make the building look awesome.

I also have a Mage's tower, but I haven't rolled my world over to Hardmode yet so he won't show up. I'll get some screen grabs of that later, I guess. My next project is my Armory, which will house my arms and armor (and armor stands, yay) and probably the Arms Dealer. I'm thinking a Red, Black and Gold scheme for that one. Next to that will be the crafting tower, which will probably share a similar color scheme.

And yes, I have been planning how my city will be laid out for weeks.

Oh my god I just crafted the Angel Wings. Along with the Spectre Boots and Cloud in a Balloon, this thing is even more amazing. Wyverns ain't shit now.

balddemon

Banned
Wow Retro. That's some pretty awesome stuff. I've been working on just clearing out space underneath my house for a treasure room lol. I'm also thinking about surround my entire house in a lava to keep my npcs inside....they always fall in the various pits and traps around my house.

Having booted the game up for the first time since 1.1 it seems my internal chip-set can no longer run it. When the moon cycles on the menu screen the frame rate slows down to the single digits, it's not as bad in game (in low mode, lowest resolution and with the lighting on retro) however it's still very noticeable. Really disappointing given I picked up the game on release and haven't had a single issue with it until now.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
this game is a god damn time vampire this patch has added a extra 15ish hours of game time im sitting at 97 hours total played time now

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
this game is a god damn time vampire this patch has added a extra 15ish hours of game time im sitting at 97 hours total played time now
Playing time: 76.3 hrs past 2 weeks
Terraria
69.4 hrs / 135.3 hrs

A little more than 15. Good thing everyone is gone for the holidays so I had no life to begin with.

IceMarker

114.6 hrs last two weeks / 265 hrs on record

I'll be back playing Terraria again this Thursday for 1.1.1! Busy playing HoN 2.5 at the moment.

36 hrs / 170.1 hrs (most of the recent playtime was building up a new character on a new world)

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to kill the damn Destroyer. Dude killed me twice now even with Adamantite armor and Angel Wings.

balddemon

Banned
The thing Ilove about this game is that at first I was adventuring and getting all the items. Now I'm building up my mansion/treasure dungeon. After that, or probably even before I'm done, I'll go back to adventuring and killing the bosses. Rinse and repeat. Literally no end in sight, not if patches keep coming.

EDIT: Also, anyone wanna help me fight hard mode bosseS?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right folks, the server is now live again... with server mods (woohoo).

neogafterraria.dyndns.org
port 7777
THERE IS A PASSWORD! PM me, email me (harlan.ryudo "squiggly" gmail.com), or contact me through Steam messenger, or possibly Mumble (I'll be popping in and out of the Terraria room we have setup).

Here's how we're running this sucker:

Point system: Kill things, gain points. Use points to level up (and get more permissions to do things), and also use points to buy items (instead of continually asking admins to gift you stuff). Get on the server tonight, and I'll give you enough points to rank up one level.

Normal AND Hardmode servers: I will be running two servers, one normal (the one going up now) and one hardmode (going up later, maybe later tonight). The normal server WILL NEVER GO INTO HARDMODE, and is mainly there for those that like to build, and not get raped in the ass every 5 seconds by something evil.

HardMode server is another story altogether. Expect chaos. Expect traps everywhere, huge pits of doom, Retro occaisionally popping on and mass summoning evil clowns. That sort of thing. This will also be a PvP server, just to make the horror even more unbearable. There will a points transfer request service between both maps, so if you gain points on one map, you can transfer part of your balance to the other map.

Please be warned, we are running BETA server mod software, there's suppose to be bugs. So far, after a whole day's testing, nothing major has happened w/ me and Retro, so we think it should be okay. Anything odd, report to me ASAP. Also, since we're rebooting everything, make sure you REGISTER then LOGIN.

Any questions, ask away.

ameratsu

Beat the wall of flesh for the first time solo. Mostly used Molten bow with unholy arrows.

With all these new enemies, my bow feels useless :(. I wish there was a post-wall of flesh bow for me to work towards.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I would use your old one, cuz I feel like when the hardmode server is up, it's hardmode pretty much instantly lol.
You could try it with a new character, maybe lock yourself in wherever you are digging for protection... but then you have the worms... and the wraiths... and the chaos elementals... and the flying hammers and swords... yeah, it won't work.

With all these new enemies, my bow feels useless :(. I wish there was a post-wall of flesh bow for me to work towards.
That's what the repeaters are.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Is the hardmode server still brand new characters or what? I haven't kept up with what was going on.

At this point, everyone's more or less played the game long enough where I don't mind anymore who you're using.

The normal server isnt hardmode anyway, so its not that important if you use new characters or old ones.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Annnd after some time trying to figure out why I couldnt just run two instances at the same time, I had to go and physically create a new server folder w/ its own program files... go figure. Never had to do that before.
neogafterraria.dyndns.org
Normal Server: port 7777
HardMode Server: port 8888
THERE IS A PASSWORD! PM me, email me (harlan.ryudo "squiggly" gmail.com), or contact me through Steam messenger, or possibly Mumble (I'll be popping in and out of the Terraria room we have setup).

The map that's currently being used is the one that I had running before I shut the server down a few days ago. Since its already in Hard Mode, there wont be any screwin around.

The password to both servers in is the same, contact me for the password.

To those who've already registered on the normal server, your account info carried over, but I cleared your shard total. As for everyone, when you register, I've given you full player access (unlike Normal server, where you have to rank up). Every little bit helps when its HardMode.

Also, please remember that shards you gain on the HardMode server, you can request a balance transfer. Shards are more useful on the normal server than the HardMode server.

Jira

75.1 hrs / 169.2 hrs

Those 75 hours were in 7 days time since the patch. That long binge on Terraria has kinda ruined gaming for me at the moment. No idea what to play now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, first casualty of a new server....

Okay, until further notice, please do not use any explosives. The anti-grief protection is in need of tweaking.

If you are on either server, and are banned or kicked, please let me know what you were doing, so I can tweak the settings.

Finally managed to solo the Twins on the weekend. Heap of potions, Iron Skin, Regeneration, Ale, Bowl of soup, Archery, Swiftness and used Crystal bullets instead of the Cursed bullets for my Megashark. Also equipped the Cross Necklace and the Philosopher's Stone.

Will have to jump onto the GAF server soon. Had fun the other day for the 5-10 minutes before it got taken out, but hoping to catch up with GAF crew again soon.

Going to start trials on Metal Skeletron tonight.

Christmas update looks awesome, can't wait. Content overload and I love every minute of it.

balddemon

Banned
Bah, first casualty of a new server....

Okay, until further notice, please do not use any explosives. The anti-grief protection is in need of tweaking.

If you are on either server, and are banned or kicked, please let me know what you were doing, so I can tweak the settings.

FYI, it was just dynamite that banned me. Bombs worked.

New to Terraria: how do I play with a friend? Is everything persistent even when I leave the "world?"
If you're hosting than the world is stored on your local computer, or his computer if he's hosting. Both your characters are stored on your own machines respectively.

To actually play just need to find out your IP address (www.whatismyip.com) and host, your friend should be able to join by entering your IP address in Terraria.

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, the auto select button (shift) is fantastic. Brilliant, even. No longer do I have to keep every damn tool/torches in the hotbar and scroll between them. I can knock out a wall and instantly have my sword ready to fight the slime that's been banging his head against it for the last 10 minutes.

But, can you no longer automatically move items from chests to your inventory (and vice versa)? I thought you used to be able to auto stack things, and this may just be me being stupid, but I can't seem to make that happen anymore. It seems like I have to move every item individually into my inventory, and even look to see if I have a stack going already or else I take up 2 slots. But damn, I might become addicted to this game again.

But, can you no longer automatically move items from chests to your inventory (and vice versa)? I thought you used to be able to auto stack things, and this may just be me being stupid, but I can't seem to make that happen anymore. It seems like I have to move every item individually into my inventory, and even look to see if I have a stack going already or else I take up 2 slots. But damn, I might become addicted to this game again.
When you open a chest there are 4 buttons (text) the the right of the chest inventory. Quick Stack is the one you're looking for.

Finally beat the Destroyer. Took about 6 tries or so; half of them ended at dawn and the bastard flees.

I used a (mythical) Demon Scythe and waited until he came up from the ground then spammed the shit out of it. When I run out of mana, it does about 7k damage so it worked well.

Grinchy

Banned
When you open a chest there are 4 buttons (text) the the right of the chest inventory. Quick Stack is the one you're looking for.

Ahhhh, nice! Thanks! My minecraft addiction had me so used to holding shift while I clicked on items. I knew terraria had the quick stack functionality first, just forgot how to actually use it lol

Vlad

Ahhhh, nice! Thanks! My minecraft addiction had me so used to holding shift while I clicked on items. I knew terraria had the quick stack functionality first, just forgot how to actually use it lol

Yeah, but it seems to be severely limited. It only seems to move stuff from inventory to chest, not the other way around. Not only that, but it won't work if the stacks in the chest are full. For example, say you've got a chest with 90 copper ore in it. If you've got two stacks of 99 copper ore in your inventory and click Quick Stack, it'll just take 9 ore from one of your stacks and move it to the chest, filling out that stack, and that's it. It won't add new stacks to the chest based on existing items. If you wanted, I guess you could circumvent that by just having a single unit of each item in every slot of the chest.

Still, I keep hoping they'll add something like Minecraft's shift-click functionality.

Vlad

Ughhh... So I had the brilliant idea to use the skybridge that worked so well against the Twins to fight Skeletron Prime. I learned the hard way that Wyverns can still spawn while fighting him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom