• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

ngqa96J.gif

VandalD

Trailer is awesome. So much new stuff spread across every part of the game. Guess I'm pouring another 100+ hours into Terraria with a new character and new world.

Raxum

OMFG, there goes another 200+ hours of my life. Definitely working on getting every single piece of gear and pieces of biomes in one reasonably safe structure, stretching from hell all the way to space... Maybe I'll put a few tunnels to certain areas instead though, just to save time. Though I'll probably make my home in a small map and use a large map for exploring and finding items.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just lost my shit. All of it.

Can a game be GOTY for two different years?

Retro

Ugh, why does every streamer have to be a loud, obnoxious moron with no filter? They sing, scream, talk in accents. They're never funny.

VandalD

Oh. I remember PBat. He was the the only one doing Terraria videos just before the game's release. He was also pretty terrible. If I were to spoil anything about 1.2, it wouldn't be in watching him.

Retro

It's pretty sad, the streamers who have access now are doing things like creating entire videos for single items just to try and get as many hits as possible. One guy has videos for (I shit you not) a Campfire and Tin Ore (in which he just smelts some ore and points out that you can make weapons and armor with it...). That's it; "HERE IZ CAMPFIRE! HERE IS HOW U MAK IT! SEE U MOAR SOON!!!!1"

It's a week away, officially. I think I'll stop looking for streams or videos because they're just getting stupid.

VandalD

I guess we're sticking with the OT2? Nobody that I know of has expressed interest in making another OT, and it's certainly not going to be me.

Looking forward to word from HaRyu on the server, if that's still planned. He might be sick of getting asked for reaffirmation by now. Thinking I might want to jump straight into multiplayer in some form or another.
It's a week away, officially. I think I'll stop looking for streams or videos because they're just getting stupid.
Saw the campfire one. Better be making those videos quick. He has to do a tutorial on about 1000 more items, and he only has a week to cash in. I'm sure this will lead to high quality content.

Retro

I guess we're sticking with the OT2? Nobody that I know of has expressed interest in making another OT, and it's certainly not going to be me.

Looking forward to word from HaRyu on the server, if that's still planned. He might be sick of getting asked for reaffirmation by now. Thinking I might want to jump straight into multiplayer in some form or another.

Saw the campfire one. Better be making those videos quick. He has to do a tutorial on about 1000 more items, and he only has a week to cash in. I'm sure this will lead to high quality content.

Yeah, I don't see the need for another OT when this one still has a lot of room. I'm already doing the Starbound OT, I could probably do a Terraria 1.2 one but it wouldn't be great and... yeah, unnecessary.

As for HaRyu running a server, last I heard he was fine with doing that when 1.2 drops, but like a lot of us, as soon as Starbound hits Terraria is dead. So it depends on when the SB Beta starts.

IceMarker

HERO has a wonderful non-annoying voice at least... for the most part.

EDIT: I'd say "re-do" the Terraria OT with all the new stuff.

Retro

Yrimir has a new video about the rope and rope coil.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJkJQBAqBs

Those actually look really fun. I hope that the balance changes they're doing now will move items like the Sandstorm in a Bottle, Climbing Claws / Shoes and such deeper into the game. Using ropes to descend into the underground sounds like fun, but it would be immediately invalidated if fall/jump items can be obtained by just walking into a Pyramid as we saw in the stream last night. Early Terraria's "survival / exploration" aspect is severely cut short the minute you get items like that.

HERO has a wonderful non-annoying voice at least... for the most part.

I dunno if I'd go as far as "Wonderful", but he's not singing, repeating the same obnoxious phrases over and over, talking in bad accents or just spouting whatever comes into his head... so 'non-annoying' works.

EDIT: I'd say "re-do" the Terraria OT with all the new stuff.

Well, Brazil can always edit the OT (he's still an active poster) and a mod can change the title and kick this thread back into gaming side rather than community. I guess if somebody wants to put in the work for a new OT, they've got a week to do it. Anyone want to volunteer for that? Preferably someone who's active and able to update the OT to reflect stuff like new server addresses, mumble info, etc.

VandalD

Yrimir has a new video about the rope and rope coil.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJkJQBAqBs

Those actually look really fun. I hope that the balance changes they're doing now will move items like the Sandstorm in a Bottle, Climbing Claws / Shoes and such deeper into the game. Using ropes to descend into the underground sounds like fun, but it would be immediately invalidated if fall/jump items can be obtained by just walking into a Pyramid as we saw in the stream last night. Early Terraria's "survival / exploration" aspect is severely cut short the minute you get items like that.
That does look good. Vertical ropes are going to be very handy, but I can't quite get the point of horizontal ropes. Wooden platforms already serve about the same purpose, and you can sprint across them with boots. Variety is cool, but I can't see myself using them horizontally. Could be that I'm missing something here.

I kind of figured they wanted to hand out mobility items earlier on. The cloud in a bottle is pretty good, but getting the grappling hook is a very freeing thing. The only thing that's really more game changing, in my opinion, are the wings, and there were a lot of new types of wings in the trailer.

Retro

That does look good. Vertical ropes are going to be very handy, but I can't quite get the point of horizontal ropes. Wooden platforms already serve about the same purpose, and you can sprint across them with boots. Variety is cool, but I can't see myself using them horizontally. Could be that I'm missing something here.

I kind of figured they wanted to hand out mobility items earlier on. The cloud in a bottle is pretty good, but getting the grappling hook is a very freeing thing. The only thing that's really more game changing, in my opinion, are the wings, and there were a lot of new types of wings in the trailer.

Yeah, the only thing I noticed about horizontal ropes is that it appears they can be 'built' on empty background, whereas floors need to connect to something. The rope itself looked like it was attached to a wall already though, so... I dunno. It's easier to just bring a stack of dirt for platforms, especially since they keep you safe from enemies below you.

Ropes look like fun, but unless they're setting a lot of the mobility items like Cloud in a Jar, Lucky Horseshoes and such to appear deeper or with a lower chance of dropping, they'll probably get ignored except as a cosmetic feature.

Which is a shame because one of the best parts of Terraria is early on when it's very survival-oriented. You're fighting to get even basic tools and light, common enemies are tough, and shelter is whatever you can get built before you're killed, probably a dirt shack. Every dark crevasse you stumble upon could contain countless unseen horrors or instant death from the fall; lowering a rope down fits into that sort of mentality, but the game's design is built to rush you past that so fast you'll probably never bother.

I will say this though. They'll have missed a HUGE opportunity if they don't have diagonal ropes to create zip-lines. You already have a pulley automatically, having zip-lines to quickly descend would be a blast. 1 platinum coin says they don't do it, any takers?

Retro

Apologies for the double post, but a certain someone who's name starts with Ha and ends with Ryu 'doesn't feel like' posting these;

Steampunker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2kn1IWFfQ&feature=youtu.be
Rope / Coil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlDJXkn1oPA&feature=youtu.be&a

Steampunker sells a Biome gun, a 'flying device' (probably a jet pack), a vanity set, new crafting benches and and... Teleporters. All you need to unlock her is beat a hardmode boss, which most of us have probably already done.

The Rope / Coil video doesn't really feature anything we haven't seen in the video posted earlier, but does have some background stuff going on and reveals that the merchant sells it for a mere 10c a piece. So it's something you can grab right at the start of the game.

Raxum

Apologies for the double post, but a certain someone who's name starts with Ha and ends with Ryu 'doesn't feel like' posting these;

Steampunker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2kn1IWFfQ&feature=youtu.be
Rope / Coil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlDJXkn1oPA&feature=youtu.be&a

Steampunker sells a Biome gun, a 'flying device' (probably a jet pack), a vanity set, new crafting benches and and... Teleporters. All you need to unlock her is beat a hardmode boss, which most of us have probably already done.

The Rope / Coil video doesn't really feature anything we haven't seen in the video posted earlier, but does have some background stuff going on and reveals that the merchant sells it for a mere 10c a piece. So it's something you can grab right at the start of the game.

I'm so torn with this as to whether I want to start a new world and build up everything again from scratch, or if I want to continue on one of my older worlds that has pretty much everything up to the end already. It seems like a better idea to start again and experience ALL of the new content from start to finish. That said, I spent a lot of time in my other worlds building massive storage areas and arenas for bosses and such. Hmm, probably better to start from scratch I guess.

Retro

I'm so torn with this as to whether I want to start a new world and build up everything again from scratch, or if I want to continue on one of my older worlds that has pretty much everything up to the end already. It seems like a better idea to start again and experience ALL of the new content from start to finish. That said, I spent a lot of time in my other worlds building massive storage areas and arenas for bosses and such. Hmm, probably better to start from scratch I guess.

If it helps, the developers have suggested everyone start from scratch because there's a lot of new biomes (Crimson, Frost), features (giant trees, hives in the underground jungle, pyramids) and treasure to be scattered around the world. From the look of things, I think the Underworld is also redone. An update this big, I think you sort of need to start a new world.

I'm planning to start a new world and a new character, but since I'll probably spend 99% of my time on the GAF server that sort of makes sense.

Keep your older world for storage and memories, and a place to get items that your new world doesn't have unlocked (new NPCs for example), but starting from scratch is probably your best bet.

Raxum

If it helps, the developers have suggested everyone start from scratch because there's a lot of new biomes (Crimson, Frost), features (giant trees, hives in the underground jungle, pyramids) and treasure to be scattered around the world. From the look of things, I think the Underworld is also redone. An update this big, I think you sort of need to start a new world.

I'm planning to start a new world and a new character, but since I'll probably spend 99% of my time on the GAF server that sort of makes sense.

Keep your older world for storage and memories, and a place to get items that your new world doesn't have unlocked (new NPCs for example), but starting from scratch is probably your best bet.

Good point, nearly forgot about the new biomes. Definitely making a new world then. Time to begin planning my building projects and planning how I will build them from the first night. I'm thinking about making some form of structure that buries down to the 0 mark so I can add "underground" biome areas/shortcuts onto the bottom of it. It's going to be a rather large project, considering I usually make it out of some form of nearly indestructible block. My last huge castle was made almost entirely out of dungeon bricks as an outline so I could never lose it.

Might jump on to the GAF server at some point to check it out, but I will probably make most of my progress by myself.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

You definitely need to have some sort of world on your end that you can play around in. Don't rely on the GAF server.

Why?

On average, there's probably going to be about a dozen of you on at any given time. And I have no idea how many of you will actually drop by the server in total.

Even in the off chance all of you do decide to use brand new characters, we run into the problem of certain checkpoints in the game being cleared without others being able to experience them.

In other words, something like someone manages to unlock the dungeon and clear it all out of treasures in one night, before any of the rest of you can get a crack at it.

Or right from the beginning, someone manages to snag all the treasures in all the floating islands.

The GAF server exists just to be a casual server for you guys to play in and build. Just don't go expecting the full Terraria experience when you drop by.

IceMarker

You definitely need to have some sort of world on your end that you can play around in. Don't rely on the GAF server.

Why?

On average, there's probably going to be about a dozen of you on at any given time. And I have no idea how many of you will actually drop by the server in total.

Even in the off chance all of you do decide to use brand new characters, we run into the problem of certain checkpoints in the game being cleared without others being able to experience them.

In other words, something like someone manages to unlock the dungeon and clear it all out of treasures in one night, before any of the rest of you can get a crack at it.

Or right from the beginning, someone manages to snag all the treasures in all the floating islands.

The GAF server exists just to be a casual server for you guys to play in and build. Just don't go expecting the full Terraria experience when you drop by.
Thank you for posting this.

Retro

So from the sound of things on the god awful Official Forums, there's a lot of people upset to find out that there aren't really a lot of new ores; stuff like Tin, Tungsten and Platinum appear in place of Copper, Silver, Iron and Gold on world generation. So, you may start a new world and have Copper, Silver, Iron and Platinum, but no gold. You will have to start a new world to get any ores you are missing. And since it's all randomized, you really won't know until you dig around and look, potentially wasting time if you're looking for, say, Platinum instead of Gold.

Since these new ores are just slightly superior in stats and set bonuses, it shouldn't matter too much, but it still seems sort of odd to just pile on horizontal progression so early in the game, especially since the game has been out forever and everyone is already familiar with the order of Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold. Now, when you roll a world, you may have a mix of all those, or none of them, but it doesn't REALLY matter... so all of these new items are a waste of time beyond aesthetics.

The same applies to Biomes, apparently; you can roll a world with no Corruption. The "Crimson" biome is supposedly a replacement for that. Likewise, the jungle and the snow biomes may be exclusive to one another. So you may not get all the biomes you want and will be forced to roll new worlds and hope for the best.

In other words, the "New content" they're adding isn't actually better, it's all just different. The Crimson isn't some new, super hard biome; it's just a cosmetically different Corruption.

That.... really sucks. Instead of giving the game longer legs, Redigit is just making redundant content that most people have already beaten. From the sound of things, there may not be anything more advanced than Hardmode, so if you've beaten all of that before, this update may have absolutely nothing for you to do.

Fucking Starbound can't come soon enough, it's amazing how lifeless and empty Terraria looks compared to screenshots of SB. Good thing we all knew this was just to fill time, huh?

Jira

So from the sound of things on the god awful Official Forums, there's a lot of people upset to find out that there aren't really a lot of new ores; stuff like Tin, Tungsten and Platinum appear in place of Copper, Silver, Iron and Gold on world generation. So, you may start a new world and have Copper, Silver, Iron and Platinum, but no gold. You will have to start a new world to get any ores you are missing. And since it's all randomized, you really won't know until you dig around and look, potentially wasting time if you're looking for, say, Platinum instead of Gold.

Since these new ores are just slightly superior in stats and set bonuses, it shouldn't matter too much, but it still seems sort of odd to just pile on horizontal progression so early in the game, especially since the game has been out forever and everyone is already familiar with the order of Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold. Now, when you roll a world, you may have a mix of all those, or none of them, but it doesn't REALLY matter... so all of these new items are a waste of time beyond aesthetics.

The same applies to Biomes, apparently; you can roll a world with no Corruption. The "Crimson" biome is supposedly a replacement for that. Likewise, the jungle and the snow biomes may be exclusive to one another. So you may not get all the biomes you want and will be force to roll new worlds and hope for the best.

In other words, the "New content" they're adding isn't actually better, it's all just different. The Crimson isn't some new, super hard biome; it's just a cosmetically different Corruption.

That.... really sucks. Instead of giving the game longer legs, Redigit is just making redundant content that most people have already beaten. From the sound of things, there may not be anything more advanced than Hardmode, so if you've beaten all of that before, this update may have absolutely nothing for you to do.

Fucking Starbound can't come soon enough, it's amazing how lifeless and empty Terraria looks compared to screenshots of SB. Good thing we all knew this was just to fill time, huh?

Well...there goes any excitement I had for the update.

Raxum

The same applies to Biomes, apparently; you can roll a world with no Corruption. The "Crimson" biome is supposedly a replacement for that. Likewise, the jungle and the snow biomes may be exclusive to one another. So you may not get all the biomes you want and will be force to roll new worlds and hope for the best.

If that information is correct, then there goes a lot of my excitement... Might spend a bit of time trying to get some of the new things, but really? Horizontal progression? That's annoying. Especially when I'd want to play it to collect every set of armor to put on mannequins and such, which now means making multiple worlds to try to find particular ores that may not appear. URGH.

In short, there goes my enthusiasm...

Retro

Well...there goes any excitement I had for the update.

Yep. Here's the quotes, taken from the fucking terrible live stream last night;

[09:05:54] <@Cenx> The crimson is an alternative to the corruption. So rather than having a 100% chance to always have corruption, you have a chance at crimson. So instead of EoW (Eater of Worlds) you get BoC (Brain of Cthulu).

[09:09:19] <Artized> as Pre-hardmode improved ores spawn in place of the regular ores, will there be improved versions of Hardmode ores that spawn in place of those as well?
[09:09:27] <@Cenx> Yes artized
[09:09:34] <@Cenx> Palladium, Orichalcum, Titanium
[09:09:46] <@Cenx> They are *slightly* better

In other words, you will not be able to get everything in a single playthru of the game anymore, but the things that are different are basically just alternative versions. Palette swaps of existing ore and biomes. So, in that last quote, when you trigger hard mode now, instead of Cobalt, Mithril and Adamantite being added to your world, you might have Palladium spawn instead of Cobalt, but it is effectively the exact same thing. It's not new content at all, unless you count a new name and color.

In other words, this new update may not add anything to the game except alternative versions of things that already exist. New textures and armor styles and such, but from a gameplay perspective, it doesn't sound like there's anything more to do. Obviously we don't have all the details, but this really kills my excitement for the update.

It's basically Redigit being unable to come up with anything new or interesting, so he's just rehashing the crap that already exists and passing it off as new content.

Fuck. Starbound needs to go Beta soon (it was mentioned in the latest update, at least) and put Terraria down permanently. I have absolutely no faith in Redigit to code or design anything anymore. I've played a LOT more indie games since Terraria came out and it's become obvious how poor of a developer he is when you see what other people are capable of.

If that information is correct, then there goes a lot of my excitement... Might spend a bit of time trying to get some of the new things, but really? Horizontal progression? That's annoying. Especially when I'd want to play it to collect every set of armor to put on mannequins and such, which now means making multiple worlds to try to find particular ores that may not appear. URGH.

In short, there goes my enthusiasm...

I like horizontal progression actually... when done correctly. But the way this is being implemented isn't offering different choices or options, they're just different colors and names. Tin is, for all intents and purposes, 'gray copper'. Palladium is "white cobalt." The Crimson is "Red Corruption." Also, the fact that it's being shoehorned in to existing content we've all already done (multiple times, to death), and is randomly generated at world creation, means you just have to keep rerolling worlds and digging around to make sure you get the metals you want. The fact that all of this new content is just alternative versions of existing content means a lot of the content we've seen is straight up PADDING. And randomly generated padding at that.

For example, are you after Cobalt? You'll need to make a new world and trigger Hard Mode and HOPE you get it. And every time you don't, you get to start a new world and dig a boring hellevator straight down and beat the Wall of Flesh again. And again. Until the game randomly puts it in there for you. But it doesn't matter anyways because whatever is overwriting Cobalt is just 'different colored cobalt' and none of this is really new.

Yeah. I was actually playing some Terraria tonight, looking at my last homeworld and thinking of how I can 'redo' it with some of the new features... really getting excited. Now, I'm kind of not interested much at all. There's Ropes and new NPCs and stuff to play with, but there's nothing new to do. Content wise, I think the developer has hit his ceiling and he's just treading water until it's time to take another year or two off.

Bleh. At least there's a Guild Wars 2 update that day.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

JUST CHATTED WITH RETRO, APPARENTLY, ONE OF THE "NEW" THINGS IS THAT THEY'RE CUTTING OUT THE EXTRA LARGE WORLD SIZE OPTION.

WTF.

*sigh*

I am NOT going to constantly re-roll worlds when I put up the new server. One, maybe two re-rolls, and then thats it.

Retro

Yeah, there's this screenshot from their IRC channel (which is essentially a Redigit praise-a-thon circlejerk), and then in PBat's stream they apparently said that it was cut because they couldn't get it to work. It wasn't an option for him to select, at the very least.

It's funny that Terraria is all about exploration, construction and getting loot, and now that the developer has reached the point where it's obvious he's out of ideas, those concepts fly out the window. You can't explore everything the game has to offer without rolling new worlds over and over again. You can't get all of the building materials in one go either, so your construction is limited as well. And since you might not have a corruption, or crimson, or jungle, or snow biome, you can't get the drops from their respective enemies and bosses.

1.2 will probably have a lot of new features and I'll definitely play it, but it's also going to have a lot of padding and fluff and I expect unnecessary hassles and headaches that could be resolved a more experienced developer.

VandalD

Wow. I was wondering how they were going to fit all of the new stuff into one world. I guess they weren't even trying. It was annoying enough having to create a new world and run to the dungeon just to see if the blocks were a color you wanted. Now the whole progression system is randomized too? I wanted ONE new world that has everything in it. I really don't understand the goal here. Did they think that people like to start new worlds and characters over and over again and they needed some variety? Meh.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, so with this new info the update doesn't sound anywhere near as good as I was expecting.

However, I'm still going to play a brand new world next week. And, lets be honest here, it's a FREE update to a game that we've all played quite a bit of. Even if lots of the new stuff is just palette swaps of old stuff, a little variety between worlds isn't a bad thing. I mean yeah I'd prefer if the worlds could contain ALL of the stuff, and I'd prefer if the new items and ores were actually new and not rehash's of old stuff, but eh it's a free update for a game I've long paid for.

But yeah, what yesterday sounded like a possible contender for GOTY for a second time is now just going to be mildly interesting instead. And that's a shame.

Core Zero

I will say, I was kind of curious how adding all the new stuff was going to be handled. The world was already running short on places to put new biomes (especially on a small world).

I do think that, if we are really just looking at palette swaps of existing content, then there needs to be options in world generation to select what we need in worlds. As already said, creating worlds to harvest dungeon blocks was already tedious. This will make things multiple times worse, and doesn't seem to really take into account the existing playerbase, with full hardmode gear, at all, except to say "do it again".

Even though I have Starbound preordered, I have a heavy dose of skepticism associated with it, and I was hoping to see Terraria continue forward in the mean time, and in case Starbound doesn't deliver the experience I want. Red does say he has another update planned, here's hoping he can find a way to more cleanly and enticingly add new stuff.

Retro

20-odd minutes of Terraria 1.2 from Total Biscuit, if people are still interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cK8Q00xETM&feature=youtu.be

Even though I have Starbound preordered, I have a heavy dose of skepticism associated with it, and I was hoping to see Terraria continue forward in the mean time, and in case Starbound doesn't deliver the experience I want. Red does say he has another update planned, here's hoping he can find a way to more cleanly and enticingly add new stuff.

As far as Starbound goes, the game would neatly sidestep this problem because there's a huge number of possible planets to explore, so if you don't land on a world with a particular combination you like, you just jump in your ship and look for another. Because all planetary locations are the same for every player, I fully expect people to share seeds with each other or maintain some kind of database to track various planets.

As for Terraria getting another update, he's already said that's going to happen, but only after he takes a month off and only to add in crap he had to cut from 1.2 (a final boss, extra-large worlds, etc.). Who knows when he'll figure out how to do those though, or if he'll stop development again to work on something else?

In other words, you will not be able to get everything in a single playthru of the game anymore, but the things that are different are basically just alternative versions. Palette swaps of existing ore and biomes. So, in that last quote, when you trigger hard mode now, instead of Cobalt, Mithril and Adamantite being added to your world, you might have Palladium spawn instead of Cobalt, but it is effectively the exact same thing. It's not new content at all, unless you count a new name and color.

For example, are you after Cobalt? You'll need to make a new world and trigger Hard Mode and HOPE you get it. And every time you don't, you get to start a new world and dig a boring hellevator straight down and beat the Wall of Flesh again. And again. Until the game randomly puts it in there for you. But it doesn't matter anyways because whatever is overwriting Cobalt is just 'different colored cobalt' and none of this is really new.

You are making this sound like you either get cobalt or palladium in each world. But it's sounding more like each possible placement of those ore types will be one or the other and not wholly exclusive on the map. Like a 50/50 split.

Retro

We won't know how it works for sure until it's out, but from the way the developer (or rather, his wife) talks about it, it's an either/ore thing. Maybe they're being misquoted, but they haven't bothered to correct the people who are complaining on the forums.

That's ore though. The have explicitly stated that biome generation is handled that way, for sure.

Edit: Home now; the devs are using the word "replacement" when it comes to ore, which makes it sound like you're getting one or the other. We'll have to wait and see. But you can definitely miss out on biomes unless you reroll worlds.

mileS

Anyone have any experience with frame skip on or off? it says its "recommended" to be on but you get a higher framerate with it off. I still don't even know how it works exactly. Some people say theres mouse input lag if you have it off? also everything seems to be much faster, almost like the game time is sped up. Kind of lost here.

IceMarker

I used to make "harvest worlds" all the time in 1.1 when my character was strong enough to just reap all the treasures of a world in an hour flat. So having different ores and what not per-world roll isn't a horrible thing to me. I've always had a home base world to store all my finds and create a utopia for myself and then "harvest worlds" for just complete mining operations that I would re-roll near constantly.

Retro

Anyone have any experience with frame skip on or off? it says its "recommended" to be on but you get a higher framerate with it off. I still don't even know how it works exactly. Some people say theres mouse input lag if you have it off? also everything seems to be much faster, almost like the game time is sped up. Kind of lost here.

Best I can find is that it's some kind of frame limiter, dropping frames intentionally to maintain the 'intended' speed and feel. I'm guessing it's to future proof the game so people with powerful PCs can't play at like 300 fps, which would look like the game is on fast forward.

I used to make "harvest worlds" all the time in 1.1 when my character was strong enough to just reap all the treasures of a world in an hour flat. So having different ores and what not per-world roll isn't a horrible thing to me. I've always had a home base world to store all my finds and create a utopia for myself and then "harvest worlds" for just complete mining operations that I would re-roll near constantly.

I did this once, but I hated having to ferry everything back and forth between my "Homeworld" and "Harvest World". I ended up HAVING to do it though, because Hardmode triggers enemies that throw structure-destroying bombs. Since I like building, there's no way in fucking hell I'm going to allow the game to wreck my shit.

The problem is that one Harvest World won't be enough, depending on how lucky you are. You may need to roll several to see everything.

Raxum

Best I can find is that it's some kind of frame limiter, dropping frames intentionally to maintain the 'intended' speed and feel. I'm guessing it's to future proof the game so people with powerful PCs can't play at like 300 fps, which would look like the game is on fast forward.

I did this once, but I hated having to ferry everything back and forth between my "Homeworld" and "Harvest World". I ended up HAVING to do it though, because Hardmode triggers enemies that throw structure-destroying bombs. Since I like building, there's no way in fucking hell I'm going to allow the game to wreck my shit.

The problem is that one Harvest World won't be enough, depending on how lucky you are. You may need to roll several to see everything.

While I have no problem with Harvest worlds, and acknowledging that I did exactly what you did for Hardmode (though I was trying to think of ways to hard-mode proof my giant castle, like making it float far enough away from everything to never get touched), what he's put in is ridiculous. I mean, I don't mind Horizontal progression, provided the game makes allowances for it, and for it to be meaningful, like each set having a different balance of stats. From what I'm reading, the horizontal progression is pretty useless, and actually frustrating. He could've easily added new content by putting in something similar to minecraft's "Nether". Add a portal of some kind that takes you to a secondary world, which spawns new enemies, has different biomes and new ores. Hell, he could've even done that for hard mode to save us having building destroying mobs in our normal world.

I'm a little frustrated with his design decisions, though I can understand not wanting to go with things similar to minecraft. However, he could've also had the edges of the map become 'portals' to a new 'continent' that you have to swim/sail to. New continent = new content. It just seems like he really didn't think things through for this update.

Retro

So here's a guy who's been in Beta for a while (in fact, he spends the first two minutes droning on about it) confirming that the new ores are alternatives and that if one appears, the other will not; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5PQr289XuoY

"You see a new ore here? This is the alternative of copper, it's called tin. It's slightly better than copper, all the new ores... all the four new ores, the alternatives of the four starting ores, they're all slightly better than the originals. And you can only have one of them in the world, like you can either have tin or copper. You can't have both.

So yeah; new ores are randomly inserted in place of the old materials, not alongside them. That means if you want to get the more powerful versions, you'll have to reroll constantly. Take pity on hoarders, collectors and builders. The people who play the game just for the combat / adventure will probably not even notice since all of this 'new' content is just padding out the early game they likely won't bother repeating.

I'm a little frustrated with his design decisions.

He's made two games, and the first was an unlicensed Mario game (not just a 'mario clone', he literally made a game called "Super Mario Brothers X" using Nintendo assets and everything). He's said repeatedly that Terraria was a learning experience and he didn't expect it to blow up like it did. His design skills are unpolished and it shows in the haphazard way Terraria is designed.

That's one reason I'm looking forward to Starbound; Terraria made a lot of mistakes for that project, and isn't committed to the past blunders like Terraria is.

That, and they seem to have more than one programmer and as far as I know they've all taken off the training wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom