• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Whew, luckily, update to mod came out before I head out to NYCC :p

Server is up, folks. If there's any issues, PM me, or hit me up on Steam.

Nebula

TzK8bRa.png

I'm on a roll! Second key now. Farmed for about 10 minutes in my drained ocean corrupted seabed. Works like a charm.

I'll try and find the chest now and post what I get out of it.

I've beaten the Eye and I've got Meteorite armor or whatever it's called. Not sure what to do now since I feel over/underpowered everywhere I go.

Go to the Corruption/Crimson and start smashing Orbs/Hearts. They drop items, break 3 and a boss will appear. You need the materials they drop for your next armor/pickaxe (the pickaxe to break hellstone in the deepest part of the game). You can also go to the jungle (lots of vines, thicker trees, drummy music), you can get another set of weapons/items/armor there that are quite good.

Also if you have some Gravity Potions (I found a lot of them in the Jungle) you can switch gravity with W to search islands in the sky that have unique treasures.

garath

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of content in this game. I don't even know what to do or where to go at this point in the game.

I was going to post that I agree! I'm in the same boat.

I've beaten the Eye and I've got Meteorite armor or whatever it's called. Not sure what to do now since I feel over/underpowered everywhere I go.

Then I saw this. I'm nowhere near that lol. I'm just trying to run around stockpiling bars - iron, tungsten, gold. haha

Nebula

Fuck those potions cooldown. How am I suppose to deal with the laser spam from WoF?!

With a long flat platform, rocket boots/cloud in a balloon and if you're not already, use potions that heal 100.

Also try out some buffing potions like Ironskin and magic/archer.

Talamius

Fuck those potions cooldown. How am I suppose to deal with the laser spam from WoF?!

First, make sure you're at 400 health and 200 mana with good gear before even attempting the WoF.

Prep an arena for the WoF. Long, straight bridge. Get Waterbolt from the Dungeon and Demon Scythe from the Demons in the underworld. Activate him and keep good distance and you can plink him to death.

Then the real game begins.

Costia

I used the skull spell I got from skeletron + the upgraded nature's gift that auto drinks mana potions. And a very long platform.
I don't remember the lasers causing any trouble, I mostly ran out of platform space. When I run and jump most of them miss.

Drazgul

Thanks, just beat it. Blood moon out though, and some armor dudes knocking my doors. -_-

It's the wraiths you gotta watch out for, they like munching on the npc's. :(

Which is why I always just leg it away from the base - you ought to be able to give your spare life crystals to the npc's so they wouldn't die so quickly.

Has anyone gotten a non-hamachi personal terraria server to work yet? I swear I've done every single thing in every guide. I've forwarded all ports, verified a million times over with portforward's checker that they are, I've added exceptions for terraria and the server exe's in windows firewall and avast, I've disabled both entirely, I can even connect to my own server via my internal ip, external ip, and localhost addresses. But nobody outside of myself can do so. I thought redigit said he'd fixed all this nonsense this time around. What do, terraria-GAF?

IceMarker

Has anyone gotten a non-hamachi personal terraria server to work yet? I swear I've done every single thing in every guide. I've forwarded all ports, verified a million times over with portforward's checker that they are, I've added exceptions for terraria and the server exe's in windows firewall and avast, I've disabled both entirely, I can even connect to my own server via my internal ip, external ip, and localhost addresses. But nobody outside of myself can do so. I thought redigit said he'd fixed all this nonsense this time around. What do, terraria-GAF?

I couldn't run a server without jumping through ridiculous hoops before 1.2, now that they implemented UPnP support I don't need to do anything at all.

sca2511

I couldn't run a server without jumping through ridiculous hoops before 1.2, now that they implemented UPnP support I don't need to do anything at all.

I'm hoping that'll be the case for me. Port forwarding wasn't really a problem before, then I guess something happened and I couldn't ever get it to work again. Had to use the Hamachi workaround to host a server and I rather not use it.

Taffer

I'm at the point where I need to be in hardmode to progress so I've been in singleplayer recently, I'll be back on to build some stupid crap in my bunker soon enough.

VandalD

It's been days since the GAF server has seen people, at least on my end. :p
Haven't been on because I'm not much of a builder, and I've been losing interest in the game in general I suppose. It was a good update. I enjoyed the game for many more hours. But the only real reason to press on with playing would be to help other folks, where they really don't need the help because the game is actually easier now, or to build stuff, or to collect everything in the game. And I'm not much into either of those to the extent the game pushes for. Will dip in every now and then, but I feel like I'm "done" once again.

IceMarker

Haven't been on because I'm not much of a builder, and I've been losing interest in the game in general I suppose. It was a good update. I enjoyed the game for many more hours. But the only real reason to press on with playing would be to help other folks, where they really don't need the help because the game is actually easier now, or to build stuff, or to collect everything in the game. And I'm not much into either of those to the extent the game pushes for. Will dip in every now and then, but I feel like I'm "done" once again.

You'll come back for the Halloween update, and the "Lunar Boss" update.

BLech, gave up on the personal server bits as I've pretty much almost made it back to hard mode at this point anyway. But now i can't get the woF to spawn again after my first try. Guide is alive, I'm IN the underworld. I've used up like 3 dolls already. Plus upon random revisits to the underworld I randomly get the horrified debuff. But no WoF has spawned message. Guide dies message, but nothing else. I've even restarted the game and tried again. *shrug* At least I grabbed a mythical flamelash outta all this,

Sarcasm

Guys I have almost platinum gear.

I have a diamond staff, some mana and 380 HP. Guide and Dye dude...

I suck at this game..whats the next steps?

Costia

How do you activate hardmode? Does this change ore gen or do I do this on a new world? I can't fly or anything..my best weapon is a diamond staff...lol
not sure if spoiler so:
Hardmode activates after you kill wall of flesh. he drops a hammer that lets you break altars. Every altar you break generates more of the new ores. You can get the wings in hardmode. You should have rocket boots or double jump in normal mode.

Retro

Guys I have almost platinum gear.

I have a diamond staff, some mana and 380 HP. Guide and Dye dude...

I suck at this game..whats the next steps?

Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold > Demonite > Meteorite/Jungle (optional) > Hellstone > Dungeon > Hardmode > Cobalt > Mythril > Adamantite > Hallowed.

After that I'm guessing you go after Chlorophyte, then the new hardmode dungeon. Seems like that's where the end game stuff is at now. I lost interest in it, so I dunno how it shakes out, but after gold/platinum (ugh, that padding is terrible) you'll be smashing shadow orbs and doing bosses until you have enough demonite to start harvesting meteors and obsidian.

So if you want to craft the Diamond Staff (10 platinum bars + 8 diamond) and you have a world with gold... sorry, no dice! Good luck with the Extractinator or new world :/

Fix this shit.

Retro

So if you want to craft the Diamond Staff (10 platinum bars + 8 diamond) and you have a world with gold... sorry, no dice! Good luck with the Extractinator or new world :/

Fix this shit.

You're expected to make do with a Ruby Staff, which uses gold, but causes less damage and knockback, has a slower projectile speed and a longer use time... because Redigit doesn't understand that if you make something even slightly stronger, people will consider anything else inferior. Seems like even a basic psychology course would teach this, but... you know... kicked out of high school.

You're expected to make do with a Ruby Staff, which uses gold, but causes less damage and knockback, has a slower projectile speed and a longer use time... because Redigit doesn't understand that if you make something even slightly stronger, people will consider anything else inferior. Seems like even a basic psychology course would teach this, but... you know... kicked out of high school.

Should had just been the same damage but different knockback/firerate/statuses. IDK

I only gotten diamonds from the Extractinator. 2 to be exact. :\

I've always had good luck in the Underground Jungle for diamonds. Or at least try a spelunker potion.

I still don't get why he didn't introduce the new pre-hardmode ore along with the original ones. It's almost like a Pokemon version decision or something.

Retro

Should had just been the same damage but different knockback/firerate/statuses. IDK

He basically established a blend of horizontal and vertical progression schemes, which is kind of an amateurish thing to do. He probably saw one game use one method and another game use another and in his ignorance thought "Well, surely I can do both!"

The end result is that he padded out the game's vertical progression (Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold) with little tiny 'half-tier' jogs upward (Copper > Tin > Iron > Lead > Silver > Tungsten > Gold > Platinum) but made each full tier exclusionary. The end result is just a mess and it's stuff like this that makes it clear he isn't really thinking these things through.

Padding out the ores was a bad idea, and having them randomly-determined alternatives to each other made it even worse, but having the items you can craft from one being stronger than the other? That pushed it into 'stupid, terrible idea' territory.

J. Bravo

Well maybe if he gets enough negative feedback about it, he will fix it so you can have any of the ores in any world. That would also make finding ore less of a tedious thing, but he would have to be careful to not saturate the world with too much ore.

Retro

Well maybe if he gets enough negative feedback about it, he will fix it so you can have any of the ores in any world.

He got a lot of negative feedback about the Gravitation Potion making people sick, but he's leaving it in because it 'took him so long to get working'... so, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Costia

I didn't care about it. It's just temporary gear anyways. Get something that is good enough to kill the next boss then craft better armor from what the boss drops (or the new ore it allows you to mine).
I don't understand why it has to be the same for everyone, this isn't even a competitive game.
There are 2 things that kinda bothered me:
1) I play mostly as ranged (because good luck killing a flying eye with a sword, or any other boss for this matter) and it doesn't look like i have much weapon choice. So far i found only the megashark effective (the arrow weapons are harder to aim).
2) Relying on random events. The only items (a crafting material and a weapon) I currently want can be obtained only as a random drop from an enemy during solar eclipse - a random event. It would be nice if something like this could be summoned like the bosses (even if it required a lot of materials). I don't like sitting for half an hour doing nothing in the hope that the next day will have an eclipse.

J. Bravo

I didn't care about it. It's just temporary gear anyways. Get something that is good enough to kill the next boss then craft better armor from what the boss drops (or the new ore it allows you to mine).
I don't understand why it has to be the same for everyone, this isn't even a competitive game.
There are 2 things that kinda bothered me:
1) I play mostly as ranged (because good luck killing a flying eye with a sword, or any other boss for this matter) and it doesn't look like i have much weapon choice. So far i found only the megashark effective (the arrow weapons are harder to aim).
2) Relying on random events. The only items (a crafting material and a weapon) I currently want can be obtained only as a random drop from an enemy during solar eclipse - a random event. It would be nice if something like this could be summoned like the bosses (even if it required a lot of materials). I don't like sitting for half an hour doing nothing in the hope that the next day will have an eclipse.

There are some sweet new hardmode guns. Hallowed repeater is dope shit too.

As for #2, you could download tshock, start a local server and make yourself superadmin so you can start those events whenever. I think some things only happen at a fullmoon, or every 7 days or something similar though.

J. Bravo

Well, in that case, here is how you get a solar eclipse:

The Solar Eclipse is an event occurring only in Hardmode after any mechanical boss (The Destroyer, The Twins, Skeletron Prime) has been defeated in the world[1]. It is announced at the beginning of a day with the message, "A solar eclipse is happening!", lasting from sunrise to sunset. During the Solar Eclipse the light will be only slightly brighter than at night and you can see the moon in front of the sun.

Costia

I killed all of them :p
I already had one, but the item i wanted didn't drop. So now I have to just sit and wait for another one to happen. That's not fun.
With the bosses I had to go and kill stuff and mine stuff to summon them. So i had a goal and things to do to achieve it. Now i have a goal and there is nothing i can do to get any closer to it.

Edit:
I think i am mostly done with this game. I will probably play it when new stuff is added again.

Costia

I thought you meant it like the plantera thing,that you need to kill a boss once to make her flower spawn and that you need to kill her once to unlock the hardmode dungeon
According to the wiki there is a 3% chance to get an eclipse, and a 0.4% chance for the item to drop from a specific kind of enemy. Thats going to take a lot of time to get. Its not actually about the time it takes itself but about the randomness of it.

Top Bottom