• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Padding out the ores was a bad idea, and having them randomly-determined alternatives to each other made it even worse, but having the items you can craft from one being stronger than the other? That pushed it into 'stupid, terrible idea' territory.

I get what you are saying, but to be honest I'm kind of enjoying the sideways progression stuff. I'm collecting all the silt and slush I can find in order to extract the ores my world doesn't have. I guess for me it's not near as bad an addition to the game as it is for you, as I'm having fun with it.

Retro

I get what you are saying, but to be honest I'm kind of enjoying the sideways progression stuff. I'm collecting all the silt and slush I can find in order to extract the ores my world doesn't have. I guess for me it's not near as bad an addition to the game as it is for you, as I'm having fun with it.

I'm not saying enjoyment can't be derived from it, merely that it's an example of pretty bad game design to make certain ores stronger and then have their availability left to chance.

When you spawn King Slime where the hell is he?

He tends to show up in the furthest "Forest" biome from spawn. I find he tends to favor the left side, but I guess it can be either. He definitely won't show up anywhere near the spawn point. You can probably use your map to find where your forest biomes are and check them out.

Trickster

I bought this game a few days ago. And have been having fun with it. But I reached a point now where I can't figure out what I should do next. I have full platinum gear. And I killed some big eye with 2800 hp that turned into a mouth.

What should I do to be able to start getting new tiers of stuff? I can't mine obsidian, and I can't mine tthe stuff in the crimson areas that are on both sides of the normal grassy area im placed in :/

Kalaidos

Neo Member
I bought this game a few days ago. And have been having fun with it. But I reached a point now where I can't figure out what I should do next. I have full platinum gear. And I killed some big eye with 2800 hp that turned into a mouth.

What should I do to be able to start getting new tiers of stuff? I can't mine obsidian, and I can't mine tthe stuff in the crimson areas that are on both sides of the normal grassy area im placed in :/

After defeating the eyeball boss, a new NPC will appear (given that you have a free, suitable room), the Dryad. You can buy 'Purification Powder' from her which you can use on the crimson blocks to convert them into regular stone (Which you can then mine with any Pickaxe).
Seek out the weird tunnels in the crimson areas and head to their bottom, there will be several hearts enclosed by crimson stone. Get to them by using the Purifcation Powder and break them with a hammer.

Trickster

After defeating the eyeball boss, a new NPC will appear (given that you have a free, suitable room), the Dryad. You can buy 'Purification Powder' from her which you can use on the crimson blocks to convert them into regular stone (Which you can then mine with any Pickaxe).
Seek out the weird tunnels in the crimson areas and head to their bottom, there will be several hearts enclosed by crimson stone. Get to them by using the Purifcation Powder and break them with a hammer.

Thanks! Those hearts were what I thought I had to go for next, but not being able to mine down to them made me think i was wrong :p

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Havving trouble getting on the server, seems stuck at connecting screen

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently, IP address changed, just ever so slightly. New IP below. Quote to see the IP. Password should still be the same.

garath

Yay. Beat the eye and eater of worlds today. Starting to make the armor from the resulting ore and shadow scales. Pretty cool. :)

mileS

I'm starting to lose my mind. I have it set in my mind to gather the mats for the Ankh charm. Farming every single mat thus far has been fine(all 1% drop rate), until the Nazar http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Nazar

UGH starting to piss me off. Cursed Hammer and Enchanted sword are out of the question. I've tried. I'm lucky if I see one Enchanted Sword every 2 hours. Yea no thank you... Cursed Hammer, I may have only seen one in my Terraria lifetime. Cursed Skulls are fine I guess. If you go into a normal dungeon there seems to be more of them. They are still rare, you will only see a couple every minute or two. Problem is I've been killing them for a good 6-7 hours now with no luck. I have never cheated and used one of those all item maps. I have also never used one of the AFK farming boxes everyone and their mother seems to be using. Every item I have made myself or has dropped for me personally. I enjoy playing that way. That fun is starting to fade with this one. Its the last thing I need.

rant over. for now lol

Agkel

Just reporting, I logged in to put some of my armor sets on my dummies and I found there was damage done to the gaf castle, to the underground lava thingy, the sky biomes were "roped" and stripped of all their blocks, the dungeon was also stripped of some blocks from the initial part. Some of the damage seemed deliberate, especially the one on the gaf tower.

Also saw two people logged in that I have never seen before. Michaelis and Sinny. I tried to fix the underground work/storage area a little bit but the gaf tower is a mess.

edit: Just went to the arena and the piggies and safe deposits are gone too

Just reporting, I logged in to put some of my armor sets on my dummies and I found there was damage done to the gaf castle, to the underground lava thingy, the sky biomes were "roped" and stripped of all their blocks, the dungeon was also stripped of some blocks from the initial part. Some of the damage seemed deliberate, especially the one on the gaf tower.

Also saw two people logged in that I have never seen before. Michaelis and Sinny. I tried to fix the underground work/storage area a little bit but the gaf tower is a mess.

I was playing as Michaelis. Not my first time on the server, but today I've been explorering the jungle. Someone unlocked the jungle temple, so I've been exploring that.

VandalD

Someone took some of the traps in my place, knocked out some of my back wall, and took some of my other things. Wasn't anything special, but that's pretty dickish.

Agkel

Apologies, I just realized that me mentioning two new people in the server as if I was accusing them of the shenanigans that happened. I should have clarified that I meant that it was cool we had new people in the server since its been pretty quiet.

In wanting to do a quick update I made a shitty post.

I just found out about the gaf server and went in earlier just to explore what you guys have built thus far. Only to come back later and find that someone has destroyed a lot of stuff. I tried to rebuild some things like the Neogaf logo, but didn't have the necessary materials. I really liked what you guys have done it's very impressive, sad that someone here had to go and screw that up.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
2013-10-14 21:03:14 - Utils: INFO: Broadcast: Garrett has joined.
2013-10-14 21:22:16 - Utils: INFO: Broadcast: Garrett left

2013-10-14 21:31:09 - Utils: INFO: Broadcast: ween has joined.
2013-10-14 21:37:35 - GetDataHandlers: INFO: Michaelis from 'guest' group joined. (1/20)
2013-10-14 21:37:35 - Utils: INFO: Broadcast: Michaelis has joined.

2013-10-14 22:00:18 - GetDataHandlers: INFO: Trickster from 'guest' group joined. (2/20)
2013-10-14 22:00:18 - Utils: INFO: Broadcast: Trickster has joined.

Garret, ween, Michaelis, and Trickster were the only ones on the server during the supposed destruction period.

I also backup the server every damn hour, so that's how I can tell when it happened. Between 9:03pm EST and 10:03pm EST, last night.

You four, please let me know who of the other 3 you've seen when you were on the server. It's also possible it may not be just one guy doing it, although I'm not saying you're all responsible.

To be honest, I'm pretty lenient, and its not like someone went around bombing everything. Or draining the damn oceans. So unless I have more evidence, I'm kinda putting you four on a watchlist for now.

With that being said, I've restored the server to its state before the destruction. If anything is missing (like armor, furniture), please let me know, and what time and date you last recall seeing it. Always keep in mind that it may not be one person, but I can at least find out who the hell was on during the supposed incident.

Aaaaaand just because I'm just a tad pissed, I've reduced the privileges of GUESTS (aka people who don't register and sign in). Guests will now be unable to do anything other than register and login. So make sure you do that, if you want to play around on the server.

I really want to play this game but there's no Mac version. :(

Looking it up I've found there's a wrapper for Steam, but I don't have Bootcamp. How good is the PS3 version? I've played the demo quite a bit and found the controls a little confusing. Does it get better over time?

Sarcasm

I really want to play this game but there's no Mac version. :(

Looking it up I've found there's a wrapper for Steam, but I don't have Bootcamp. How good is the PS3 version? I've played the demo quite a bit and found the controls a little confusing. Does it get better over time?

I don't know abut console but the mobile scene its pretty neat. On my phone left side is movement. To use items (like pick) I have actually two options:

1) I can touch bottom right and a joystick type thing pops up and I swing in that direction.

2) I can physically touch the blocks..it zooms in really close and I can see what I am doing

From what I heard a lot of people perfer console controls over the PC.

Also there is a steam client for MAC that doesn't require bootlegging..but Terraria supposedly can work one of the results I found:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3187775

Trickster

Garret, ween, Michaelis, and Trickster were the only ones on the server during the supposed destruction period.

I also backup the server every damn hour, so that's how I can tell when it happened. Between 9:03pm EST and 10:03pm EST, last night.

You four, please let me know who of the other 3 you've seen when you were on the server. It's also possible it may not be just one guy doing it, although I'm not saying you're all responsible.

To be honest, I'm pretty lenient, and its not like someone went around bombing everything. Or draining the damn oceans. So unless I have more evidence, I'm kinda putting you four on a watchlist for now.

With that being said, I've restored the server to its state before the destruction. If anything is missing (like armor, furniture), please let me know, and what time and date you last recall seeing it. Always keep in mind that it may not be one person, but I can at least find out who the hell was on during the supposed incident.

Aaaaaand just because I'm just a tad pissed, I've reduced the privileges of GUESTS (aka people who don't register and sign in). Guests will now be unable to do anything other than register and login. So make sure you do that, if you want to play around on the server.

I was just visiting the server for the first time, for maybe 20 minutes to see what it looked like. I didn't touch a single thing due to fear that I would mess something up. All I did was pick up some blocks and wood platform from that big tower just from moving around in it. So I can assume that it was done before I even logged on the server. I did think it was pretty strange that the wood platform at the top of the tower had had every second wood platform tile chopped up. But I dropped all the wood platforms I picked up by running across the bridge on top of the gaf tower, right where the bridge starts.

That's really All I know

Edit - Saw agkel's post. I was logged on with two characters. First one was called trickster, which I made to "test" out the server. Second on was my "main" sinny, who is a mediumcore character and I didn't want to log on to a server I didnt know and risk losing my stuff due to potential crazy bosses being fought right where people log in/spawn, as I've seen some people do on streams.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it is the old IP

Nope, and that's what was confusing me for half a damn hour. Retro already changed the IP in the OP, but the difference between the two was that only one digit changed. The third digit used to be "5", now its "3". The old and new IP were really similar. Normally, if when my IP is released and renewed, it tends to change enough where you'd notice. This is the first time when I've only seen just a single digit change.

I don't know abut console but the mobile scene its pretty neat. On my phone left side is movement. To use items (like pick) I have actually two options:

1) I can touch bottom right and a joystick type thing pops up and I swing in that direction.

2) I can physically touch the blocks..it zooms in really close and I can see what I am doing

From what I heard a lot of people perfer console controls over the PC.

Also there is a steam client for MAC that doesn't require bootlegging..but Terraria supposedly can work one of the results I found:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3187775

Thanks!

I'll look into the options. I may just end up getting the PS3 version if people are liking it.

I logged on and I went past ween on my way to the jungle near the beginning I think (we were moving in opposite directions). I didn't pay much attention to the build projects since I already saw them before and I knew where I wanted to explore. I spent a lot of my time more thoroughly de-trapping (someone already started) / de-spiking the jungle temple so I wouldn't die easily. So, I didn't see anyone else on my screen, even if they did login after.

Hmm, does the reset mean I have to go through de-trapping / de-spiking the place again ? ... It's actually really good for getting money ^_^ since the enemies are high-level but I can't get killed as easily. I didn't see the altar though; is there one in the world? I haven't tried fighting the golem yet. A friend wouldn't let me boost by taking his picksaw early :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I logged on and I went past ween on my way to the jungle near the beginning I think (we were moving in opposite directions). I didn't pay much attention to the build projects since I already saw them before and I knew where I wanted to explore. I spent a lot of my time more thoroughly de-trapping (someone already started) / de-spiking the jungle temple so I wouldn't die easily. So, I didn't see anyone else on my screen, even if they did login after.

What's the name of your character again?

Hmm, does the reset mean I have to go through de-trapping / de-spiking the place again ? ... It's actually really good for getting money ^_^ since the enemies are high-level but I can't get killed as easily. I didn't see the altar though; is there one in the world? I haven't tried fighting the golem yet. A friend wouldn't let me boost by taking his picksaw early :p

Probably, since it was over a 6 hour time period that I rolled the server back to.

J. Bravo

My brothers and I were talking about terraria and we decided the endgame boss should be Cthulu. To make the summoning item you have to combine a suspicious looking eye, whatever you use to summon the brain, and a mechanical eye along with 100 of each soul. You have to summon him in an ocean, from where he will walk across the map similar to the wall of flesh until you either get behind him, in which case he will turn around and follow you, or he gets to the other end, in which case he disappears and everyone on the map dies. The way I'm thinking of it, he will be a giant boss and take big slow steps kind of like the Golems from Castlevania: DoS. Only this guy crushes anything in his way, so watch out for your buildings lol.

So yeah, pretty stupid but I think it would be fun.

Nope, and that's what was confusing me for half a damn hour. Retro already changed the IP in the OP, but the difference between the two was that only one digit changed. The third digit used to be "5", now its "3". The old and new IP were really similar. Normally, if when my IP is released and renewed, it tends to change enough where you'd notice. This is the first time when I've only seen just a single digit change.

Hmm, pretty sure it is the same one already saved in the game. o_O

Sarcasm

Do I am exploring the jungle and I have came to a dead end..very close to the surface. Next to a locked dungeon which requires a key. Which I believe requires me to be in hard mode. I am in pre hard mode.

My main question is I thought the jungle was big? I am on a medium size world. Also got a pair of ancient cobalt pants. Anything else to look out for in the jungle..I explored everything I could see by sight. Kinda sad that my jungle is tiny...

Do I am exploring the jungle and I have came to a dead end..very close to the surface. Next to a locked dungeon which requires a key. Which I believe requires me to be in hard mode. I am in pre hard mode.

My main question is I thought the jungle was big? I am on a medium size world. Also got a pair of ancient cobalt pants. Anything else to look out for in the jungle..I explored everything I could see by sight. Kinda sad that my jungle is tiny...

I'm sure yours is larger than you think. My small one is massive. You can always take a quick peak at the entire map with a program like Terrafirma.

What's the name of your character again?

I was Michaelis. I actually might have seen (i.e. was in the same place as) some other people like Agkel, but I don't remember exactly. The one person I definitely remember seeing was Crownjo (not sure if that is spelled correctly) since he showed me the sky island that he claimed, but that was at another time.

mavs

Digging around the edges of the temple should reveal some more caverns. The jungle is freaking monstrous, pretty sure it's the biggest single cavern system in every terraria world. What you should be looking out for is chests under green torches, and also random gold chests scattered all over the place. If all else fails, dig sideways under the entire jungle.

Retro

Got this game.. no idea wtf to do =\

1. Get some wood, kill some slimes.
2. Make Torches.
3. Start digging, looking specifically for ore but in general everything has value (yes, even dirt eventually).
4. Return to the surface, get more wood, make a workbench, Furnace and Anvil and start crafting whatever you can to upgrade your armor. Tools help you advance faster, but the goal is better armor.
5. Start using that stone to make bricks, use bricks to make houses. By this point you'll probably have triggered a few more NPCs, but they won't move in until they have houses. You'll need a chair, a table, and a light source, and the room must have solid walls / background and a door or wooden platform.

Repeat 1-4 until you're wearing Gold / Platinum armor, at that point you'll probably have found a lot of accessories and weapons (or made your own) and a few Heart Crystals. Then you'll start in on bosses and the harder biomes, but the above will generally get you into the 'groove' of playing.

IceMarker

[great simple guide]

WDfzroC.gif

Sarcasm

Checked it out with Terrafirma...man I am enjoying myself in the jungle but thats..retardly long/big.

I don't think I am gonna go for the majority of the stuff in there..may lose the fun.

Also I made the jungle armour (also have 2/3 of the ancient cobalt set which is the same) but went back to my meteorite armour..what else am I trying to get out of here?

I stumbled upon a hive..I should have regened my HP Queen got me..too bad it disappeared. Found a second one. Got a nice melee weapon.

chemicals

Been playing the crap out of this game... I didn't think anything would ever grab me more than minecraft but wow... I've just never been addicted to a game quite as much as this one. Great stuff!

garath

Definitely having fun now.

Killed Eye of Cthulu, Eater of Worlds and Skeletron. I have my full set of shadow armor and I'm starting to explore the dungeon and collect hellstone (depending on how my mood strikes me).

Guess my next step is preparing for Wall of Flesh and hardmode. My base looks ridiculous though. I'm not much of a builder. Everything is put together rather haphazardly lol.

Kouriozan

Hi guys, I finally bought the game for myself, I guess I'll check the server from time to time.
Just want to have fun and explore :)
I might die too much :lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Just noticed the chat logs on the server...

Please remember that if you're on the server, you have to actually register and login your character before you're allowed to dig/build.

mavs

I built a wood platform about 300 sections long to fight the WoF and killed it a few steps before I reached the end.

Apparently I am equally ill-prepared for hard mode. They weren't kidding with the name.

Drazgul

I built a wood platform about 300 sections long to fight the WoF and killed it a few steps before I reached the end.

Apparently I am equally ill-prepared for hard mode. They weren't kidding with the name.

That's how your first kill usually goes; nothing to be concerned about. Soon enough you'll be killing the bugger in a matter of seconds.

There's plenty you can do now to get a headstart on gearing up for hardmode - I always go on an altar-breaking spree first to get as many hardmode ores spawned as possible.

Kalaidos

Neo Member
There's plenty you can do now to get a headstart on gearing up for hardmode - I always go on an altar-breaking spree first to get as many hardmode ores spawned as possible.

Remember to leave one intact near your base, so you can still use that one for some crafting recipes. (Or is there a substitute for this?)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm actually just about ready to kill the WoF and start hardmode in my new 1.2 world. I'm wearing molten armor, maxed life and mana, and wielding a phasesaber + chakram + flameleash. I'm digging trenches all over my map right now, sectioning out my main base area, the jungle, and a few other spots. I'm not really too concerned though with the crimson / hallow over running my world. I can always start up a new map if I need anything that gets lost in the spread.

This game is all I've played for two weeks now. Soon I'll have more time into Terraria than I have in Skyrim. And that's kind of scary, LOL.

Top Bottom