• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Trickster

Is there a way to make a jungle house, outside of the jungle area for the witch doctor npc? would rather not have him live waaaay out from where me and my friends have made our "town"

VandalD

Is there a way to make a jungle house, outside of the jungle area for the witch doctor npc? would rather not have him live waaaay out from where me and my friends have made our "town"
Yeah. If you put down enough mud and jungle grass to hear the jungle music, I would think it would work.

Agkel

Sorry Ive been away guys, dealing with some stuff here but I already have my next project in my mind ready to be executed. When I come back I should finish the castle pretty quick and start on this cool idea I have in my head!

OK. So I just beat the Wall of Flesh, and minutes later got some Crimson Key from an enemy. Went and opened a Crimson chest in the dungeon and I got these vampire knives. Uh. Am I supposed to be this strong right now or did I get lucky?

IceMarker

OK. So I just beat the Wall of Flesh, and minutes later got some Crimson Key from an enemy. Went and opened a Crimson chest in the dungeon and I got these vampire knives. Uh. Am I supposed to be this strong right now or did I get lucky?

Yeah, they're OP at the moment. Can't wait to get them myself.

Well, good game Terraria.

fdsa2gxk0.png

Raxum

Well, good game Terraria.

Once you have those and the turtle armor you can mostly just stand in one spot for a few of the hard-mode bosses. I did the destroyer like that, easily, ended up on full life, though I had to move occasionally so I could actually hit the laser pods.

Wag

Newbie here and I'm pretty clueless as to what to do. So far I've managed to build a house, put down a furnace and anvil, got the merchant to show up, but I can't seem to find any gold. I'm on a medium sized map. Any help?

Retro

Nope, no platinum, just iron, copper and silver. Haven't been able to find anything else. What do I need to find in order to make some decent armor/weapons in order to defend myself against the more difficult enemies? All I have is a lame spear and some wooden armor.

You probably have gold or platinum, it's just rare enough you're not finding it. If you started on a Large or even Medium sized world, the ore density may be too low for a single player.

For decent weapons and armor, just keep digging; copper/tin, iron/lead, silver/tungsten and gold/platinum armors are going to be your goal until you down a boss or two. Same with weapons, though you may want to explore your overworld for chests (and any natural caves you can get into), usually you'll find something like a boomerang.

You may also want to look into crafting a bow, as the bosses are much easier at range.

CTLance

I think new players should really start out on small maps. Makes everything so much more manageable.

Have you managed to find some gems? I found that building myself a good hook tremendously improved my survivability and fun, and when I crafted a wand (to apply damage from afar without the need for projectiles) I could build "castles" that allowed me to rain doom on battle potion boosted blood moon mobs, at which point amassing some coinage, slime drops and other stuff stopped becoming an issue.

Seriously, try to get a grapple hook first. Doesn't matter whether you go with the assy skeleton hook route or the gem route. It makes life much easier, negates any falling damage if you play with a yota of attention, and you save a bundle on wood platforms.

CTLance

Also remember to seek out and smash the jugs/vases/whatever they are. They give you money and occasionally Shurikens or other throwable consumables. The first boss can be beat with only those if you build an arena that allows you to avoid his bullrush attacks. Beating him will give you ore that can be crafted into really neat things. Do attempt to get a good amount of hearts before challenging him though.

Make sure you buff yourself up properly. A bowl of soup is easy to craft, but always nice to have, all you need is goldfish, shrooms, and....
Bowls from clay

Regeneration potions do not count against the drinking cooldown, and they're a boon with bosses or when things get rough. Also, an iron skin potion will make a tremendous difference early on. If you want hints on those, just say it.

To craft potions you need a bottle/mug/pink vase on a flat surface (and a source of water nearby, even one bucket-full will do, for
bottled water
, which is one of the ingredients for many potions).

Since you have a bow, a quiver of flaming arrows is quite useful too. Let those mofos burn.

garath

I've been enjoying my med world. But yeah, its pretty huge. Ive been on the hunt for adamantium for awhile now. Finally built the forge but 5 ores per bar means I'm going to be a bit longer to that full set Lol.

Raxum

I've been enjoying my med world. But yeah, its pretty huge. Ive been on the hunt for adamantium for awhile now. Finally built the forge but 5 ores per bar means I'm going to be a bit longer to that full set Lol.

I managed things on a large world, but with a fair amount of time investment. The main thing I can suggest for this is find the closest demon altar to your house and mark it for keeping and destroy every other demon altar you come across. (or crimson altar, whichever you have) It takes a little longer, but you end up with heaps of ore everywhere.

That said, I don't recommend soloing a large world, it's just too much unless you are already geared up and looking to build and need a lot of space.

Sarcasm

Also..what "farms" can I have?

I am in prehard mode and I only have a glowing mushroom farm. I am prepping my base for hardmode so would like to at least plan before hand.

Trickster

Also..what "farms" can I have?

I am in prehard mode and I only have a glowing mushroom farm. I am prepping my base for hardmode so would like to at least plan before hand.

I would say get a farm of moonglow and blinkroot. Those 2 + a gold ore and a bottled water allows you to make a potion that lights up all ores and treasures on your screen. Even the ones in the pitch black areas of your screen that you normally can't see. Super helpful for finding stuff quickly.

Raxum

I want everything...everything~~~

So I got

-Moonglow
-Blinkroot
-Daybloom

What else?

You should probably aim for all the flowers, so you'll want those three and:
-Waterleaf: Found in the desert, get seeds by submerging the plants in water (for your farm, put down pots and then cover them with water)
-Fireblossom: Similar to waterleaf, but found in hell and requires lava to bloom and get seeds, same thing with the pots but cover the with lava and make sure you can't fall in.
-Deathweed: found in corruption, only blooms during a blood moon, thus you only get seeds then. I would recommend a rather large farm of these as blood moons can be rare, and are the only time to harvest them for seeds.

Each of those can be used in potions, deathweed has been most useful for me, as you can make a Battle Potion out of it and rotten chunks, which increases enemy spawns for 7 minutes, helps a lot for farming item drops later in the game.

Taffer

I basically ignored potions from when the game launched until about 1.1 (Hardmode update) but now I can't get enough; a flower farm/alchemy room is a part of my base as soon as I start building. I usually build just under the surface so I can kill the first few nights digging it out and removing the dirt backwalls rather than idling indoors for fear of night mobs.
Like Raxum said, aim to have all 6 plants, they all go into useful stuff.
Ironskin, regeneration, shine (maybe night owl as well) and swiftness usually stay in my inventory unless I know I'm overpowered for wherever I'm headed and can ignore the locals. They all use common materials so I carry a dozen or so of each and just hit B whenever they expire. Spelunking is great for hunting specific ores.
I tend to use obsidian skin potions to grab hellstone as soon as I have shadow armour - it makes mining in hell trivial (you don't even need to use gills potions to breathe in lava anymore for some reason) but does mean I usually end up skipping the dungeon and jungle unless I'm looking for specific drops from them.
Then there's the ones I'll use before fighting a boss: archery, magic power, mana regen, thorns and a bowl of soup. Again none of them use anything rare so I may as well buff everything I can.
Gravitation potions are great for giving you a headache, changed from being the most fun potion in the game pre-1.2.
;_;

CTLance

Useful tip: planting a seed will automatically harvest whatever is planted there. You don't need to slash the plant with a sword and then plant a new one, you can all do it in one fell swoop.
At least it was like that a while ago, haven't bothered with the more labor intensive sorts of farms for a while.

Also, another newbie tip: Lava is great for moats and as a flaming barrier of doom on your rooftops. If you only put half a bucket in or make the pit wide enough the items dropped by the enemies will not be burned, so you can build a tunnel below the pit and collect all the drops.

Carrying Liquids around is a pain, so another tip: Build a sideways E sort of structure, open side up, only with the pits a bit deeper as a reservoir for the rare case where it does not work.
In-> |_I_i -> out
Drop a bucket of lava or water directly on the middle spike. It will drop down on both sides. You can scoop up one of the pools (in the above example, the left one) and repeat the process, creating infinite amounts of water or lava (which will flow out to the right). Very convenient if you are planning on flooding a structure high up in your castle, for example to farm piranhas or goldfish - or for the waterleaf. It's not fast, but beats running around like an idiot.

You can also build a cascade of dividers and stuff that runs infinitely without any user input, but that's hit or miss unless you know what you're doing. It also has the ability to flood the entire bloody map if you leave it unattended, so don't experiment with it on a map dear to you.
Please note: some servers frown upon this liquid generation stuff, since it is an exploit of the game engine and can in turn be exploited by trolls. Still, beats lugging a lake to your Obsidian generator one (inventory worth of) bucket at a time.

So this game decided to remove my Godly prefix from my vampire knives for no reason. That's cool, just wasted several platinum trying to get it back.

Retro

Its suppose to be harder I guess.

Nah. He was asked about it in an AMA on Reddit and he said he knows it's disorienting and gives people motion sickness, but because he spent so long trying to get it to work, he didn't want to change it back.

It has nothing to do with difficulty, it's just the developer not realizing the outcome of his actions in advance and being too dense to understand not all of his ideas are good.

Wag

I found the Web Slinger in a chest, that definitely helps spelunking. I still have yet to earn any gold coins though, or use the alchemists table. Damn this game is deep.

garath

Making great strides in my world. Got to hard mode a couple days ago, last night beat the destroyer with the help of a friend. Then killed him 5 more times thanks to all the mechanical worms I had lol.

I'm now wearing a full suit of hallowed and kind of wondering what direction to go next. I guess just keep on going for bosses. Need a better weapon than excalibur and a frost staff I think though.

Bad part is I look like a fairy princess with my fairy wings and hallowed mage hat.

Guess I should also farm the jungle a bit and try to find that green ore stuff. I found some but didn't have my hallowed pick axe yet. Medium maps are pretty huge solo.

Tofa7

Banned
So once you get some late game gear the game just becomes ridiculously easy, kinda disappointing that there's so many unbalanced ways to break the game.

Once I got Spectre Armor I could beat all the hardmode bosses by just standing in place and spamming spells until they died since you can easily outheal the damage they cause.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So once you get some late game gear the game just becomes ridiculously easy, kinda disappointing that there's so many unbalanced ways to break the game.

Which is the primary reason a few of us just say screw it, and just dedicate ourselves to just building.

Hell, my main character's gear is low-tier Hard Mode gear. I've barely bothered to upgrade for the most part, I just concentrate on building.

zulux21

finally got around to playing the update... so sad that it still takes so much effort to place walls... is it really to much to ask to be able to place walls as the rate I walk so i can at least basically print on the walls :/

beyond that a lot of the new things are interesting... I both love and hate the slopes/being able to walk over 1 tile... it makes movement easier for the most part, but it's really hard to get down 2 block openings now.

VandalD

finally got around to playing the update... so sad that it still takes so much effort to place walls... is it really to much to ask to be able to place walls as the rate I walk so i can at least basically print on the walls :/

beyond that a lot of the new things are interesting... I both love and hate the slopes/being able to walk over 1 tile... it makes movement easier for the most part, but it's really hard to get down 2 block openings now.
If you hold your down key, you won't step up onto any higher platforms. Helps a bit when building/destroying things along a line too. Never cared for how walls work in Terraria. Having them be separate items kind of sucks. Just another thing Starbound will likely do better, with the advanced technology of more than one mouse button.

Retro

If you hold your down key, you won't step up onto any higher platforms. Helps a bit when building/destroying things along a line too. Never cared for how walls work in Terraria. Having them be separate items kind of sucks. Just another thing Starbound will likely do better, with the advanced technology of more than one mouse button.

Not only are walls and bricks the same item (you just hold down a modifier, I believe it was shift), you can also switch between single and 2x2 placement, so you can quickly fill in a spaces.

Oh yeah, and placement appears to be instant, so you just drag your mouse and it fills in walls/bricks. It makes building look so much smoother. Not to mention you get a 'ghost' of what you're placing so you can put it exactly where you want it.

IceMarker

Now that I have Turtle Armor I can finally solo the hard bosses as a melee character. :D

EDIT: ... Except Plantera, looks like I'll have to find the Vampire Knives.

Top Bottom