• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 |OT|

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Last I had read, that Oahu wasn't open right at the start, but would be after a little bit. Has anyone managed to try it out, is it just slightly sharper graphics or revamped?

Lonestar said:
Last I had read, that Oahu wasn't open right at the start, but would be after a little bit. Has anyone managed to try it out, is it just slightly sharper graphics or revamped?
the airport opens at level 10.

I put my first impressions on the previous page :-D

Dick Laurent said:
I just finished drawing/driving across all the roads on ibiza and took a quick peek at hawaii. omg TDU BONER. hawaii upgraded looks godly. :O~

THIS GAME!!!!!!!

jambo

Dick Laurent said:
animation4fuc0.gif

yesssss :-D~
My god, can not wait to play this!

Dice said:
You're at the very beginning of the game? Come on man, don't judge the whole game on that, they let you test drive for a reason. That car is a piece of shit for people of a very particular taste. Pick one of the other two, I went with the Lotus.
I have a hard time giving the game a break when it offered me this shit car in the first place. Don't want people to get a bad impression of the game? then don't start them with shit cars.

I have no cash to get another one right now, so I'm stuck with it.

Also, these are just first impressions of course, but almost universally negative in comparison to TDU1. I expected more (some) improvement after several years.

But yeah, I'm sticking with it. For now.

IMACOMPUTA

omg the "story" is horrifying.
and you cant skip cutscenes? jesus.
atleast the character i picked is hilariously awkward. I've LOL'd a couple times.

Arucardo

Don't think I've seen a clear-cut answer for this yet, so is the handling and feel any better than it was at the end of the beta? So tempted to buy this but the beta with the G25 really turned me off :\ .

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any way to tell what time it is in the game, other than looking at the shadows/sun?

Also, is there a way to tell from the map what the names of the cities are? I'm trying to do some of the photo challenges, and it's pretty difficult without knowing those two things.

clock is on the profile menu thing. upper left corner.

I started to bookmark the photo locations on the map as I encountered them while driving around. although I started doing this pretty late in the run so I only got 5 or 6. heh

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Arucardo said:
So tempted to buy this but the beta with the G25 really turned me off :\ .

I didn't play the beta but I am using the G27 in Hardcore mode and I don't like it at all. THe cars feel like they have no bodyroll what so ever. I generally don't use the wheel with most arcade racers since they are generally built around a gamepad but in TDU1 they did a good job with the hardcore mode, this however, nah, sorry, it just doesn't feel fun with the wheel. I'll try it with a 360 pad but honestly, I'm not really feeling this game at all. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one, thrashed it but this just feels outdated.

Shaneus

Gen X said:
I didn't play the beta but I am using the G27 in Hardcore mode and I don't like it at all. THe cars feel like they have no bodyroll what so ever. I generally don't use the wheel with most arcade racers since they are generally built around a gamepad but in TDU1 they did a good job with the hardcore mode, this however, nah, sorry, it just doesn't feel fun with the wheel. I'll try it with a 360 pad but honestly, I'm not really feeling this game at all. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one, thrashed it but this just feels outdated.
What car are you driving? From what I've read of this thread, it's really only the Shelby from the start that handles like complete arse.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Shaneus said:
What car are you driving? From what I've read of this thread, it's really only the Shelby from the start that handles like complete arse.

I test drove one of the Euro exotics, plus the Ferrari at the start of the game and the Alfa (Fiat?) at the start of the game. Honestly, there hardly seems like any notciable difference.

amar212

Gen X said:
I test drove one of the Euro exotics, plus the Ferrari at the start of the game and the Alfa (Fiat?) at the start of the game. Honestly, there hardly seems like any notciable difference.

PC I presume?

Have you tried messing with the wheel options? I mean, I played TDU1 on crappy MS wheel and it was a very nice experience backthen (post-patch).

Is there anything that settings can do for G27?

ResidentDante said:
There is an achievement for 500 miles in cockpit view, just a warning for those beginning to clock up the miles already.

Is there any other view? Driving every car I owned from the cockpit view in TDU1 was one of the reasons I fell in love with that game. It spoiled me for sure. GT5 pisses me off in this regard...

Arcane Hayter said:
Is there any other view? Driving every car I owned from the cockpit view in TDU1 was one of the reasons I fell in love with that game. It spoiled me for sure. GT5 pisses me off in this regard...
There are other views (bumber cam, behind car etc.) but none of them are linked to an achievement like cockpit view I think.

amar212

Pretty big rage overthere at TDU at community forums regarding handling.

- old-school PC guys are hating keyboard driving
- pad users are hating pad handling (all platforms)
- wheel users are hating wheel handling (all platforms)
- all beta users are raging because Eden didn't listen to their handling-feedback

http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showthread.php?t=22601

What hav you done with the handling code from the first game?? Who ever rewrote it should be dragged outside and shot! A million monkeys with a million keyboards could program it better by sheer random chance!

heh. I've tried it with all these things. two different gamepads, keyboard, logitech g25 wheel. found them all to be excellent with the game under the right settings. even keyboard controls were good, that's not something you see often anymore.

edit: I don't think people remember what the first game was like at all.

almost same as the standard wheel setup. sensitivity almost all the way to the left depending on the car. and brake more to the right. wheel is set to 360 degrees or something right now I think. maybe 350.

Dennis

Banned
Dick Laurent said:
almost same as the standard wheel setup. sensitivity almost all the way to the left depending on the car. and brake more to the right. wheel is set to 360 degrees or something right now I think. maybe 350.
How is the manual gear shift?

Is the Clutch pedal enabled or is that useless?

My G25 is packed away in a box at the moment but I plan to use it with this game eventually.

you can use either paddles, H-shift or H-shift+clutch. as with the first game. I've only used paddles for shifting now.

actually one thing I haven't tested yet with this game is trackir. the first game supported it. need a new trackclip pro, managed to break it a while back. dur

Arucardo said:
Don't think I've seen a clear-cut answer for this yet, so is the handling and feel any better than it was at the end of the beta? So tempted to buy this but the beta with the G25 really turned me off :\ .

You need to mess with the controls sliders. Haven't tried it on my wheel yet, but I played it with a gamepad and the default controls are definitely borked and you need to tweak the settings to make it less twitchy. Once I did that, the game felt like TDU1.

Just got my copy today, was gonna cancel after the initial impressions but they sent it already so I might as well see for myself. Liked the first one

So first impressions... Did I just buy PlayStation Home? lol And why can't I choose the hot gay looking guy in the white vest :(

EDarkness

Anyone know if DLC works per Xbox or per gamertag. My wife can't see the cars I bought on her account, but we're not sure if they're simply not available or just randomly not showing the cars at the used car place. I hope it's not per gamertag. The last game was per Xbox and that worked much better for us.

EDarkness said:
Anyone know if DLC works per Xbox or per gamertag. My wife can't see the cars I bought on her account, but we're not sure if they're simply not available or just randomly not showing the cars at the used car place. I hope it's not per gamertag. The last game was per Xbox and that worked much better for us.
I'm guessing you probably need to find the right car dealer.

Arucardo

DennisK4 said:
How is the manual gear shift?

Is the Clutch pedal enabled or is that useless?

My G25 is packed away in a box at the moment but I plan to use it with this game eventually.
From what I just read the clutch is as bad as it ever was in the beta, it's just digital (on/off) so it's pretty much useless. I'm really hoping that they're fixing some of the stuff in the next patch.

I'll go take my G25 to a friend of mine to try this out since he got it a day early (goes on sale tomorrow here I think).

Neuromancer said:
Was this for the Microsoft Racing Wheel? I might try these settings.
Hah. Its actually for the Xbox 360 Controller, but hey, whatever works.

Edit: I don't know about TDU2, but TDU3 should take whatever tech Just Cause 2 uses for their environments and lighting and then spend the bulk of their time perfecting the driving experience first and foremost. Nail THAT, and then add all the douche simulator elements if need be.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, the PC SKU is already rife with cheaters. Ugh. I was weighing the benefits of higher frame rate and textures versus more friends on XBLA, and decided to go with the former.

Forgot about the cheaters aspect. Pretty much every single social race has winning times of .08 seconds total, and for the speed challenges it goes from 200 points in the legitimate scores immediately to 10,000+ for the cheaters.

I have little hope that Eden/Atari/Whoever is going to ban accounts on this either.

Piggus

Time to bust out the DFGT again it looks like. Which will probably get me back into GT5 as well.

Good to hear that 3D is done well. I'll try that, too. My PC setup for 3D is kinda hit or miss. iZ3D drivers on an ATi 5850 connected to a 3D TV (side by side mode.) Works great in NFS Shift so I'm hoping for similar results in TDU2.

edgefusion

What's the character customisation like? Is there a good/large variety of clothing to choose from? Is there any romance between other characters or is it all "I am here to give you races. Goodbye"?

FlyinJ said:
Well, the PC SKU is already rife with cheaters. Ugh. I was weighing the benefits of higher frame rate and textures versus more friends on XBLA, and decided to go with the former.

Forgot about the cheaters aspect. Pretty much every single social race has winning times of .08 seconds total, and for the speed challenges it goes from 200 points in the legitimate scores immediately to 10,000+ for the cheaters.

I have little hope that Eden/Atari/Whoever is going to ban accounts on this either.
I bought the PC version on Steam and wasn't too happy with the keyboard controls or how it looked on my 26" monitor at 1920x1200@60FPS. It felt like it was a game designed with 720p@30FPS in mind. I ended up picking up the 360 version, and while the controls were still twitchy by default (I needed to reduce linearity and deadzone to make it play much better), graphically I think it looks a LOT better on my TV than it did on my monitor. Everything looks detailed enough, and the cars do look like they have more weight at 30 FPS.

FlyinJ said:

From the official forums:

Eden Games is committed to making Test Drive Unlimited 2 the ultimate online racing experience , and that means maintaining the integrity of the online environment. We are aware that exploits have been identified in the game, and are currently working on an update that will disable these cheats.

To ensure fair competition, the Club System will be disabled until these fixes go live.

Eden games has a zero tolerance policy against exploitation. Accounts that attempt to use in-game exploits or cheats will be dealt with immediately without warning. Thank you for your support and understanding in this matter.

http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showthread.php?t=23421

NullPointer said:
Hah. Its actually for the Xbox 360 Controller, but hey, whatever works.

Edit: I don't know about TDU2, but TDU3 should take whatever tech Just Cause 2 uses for their environments and lighting and then spend the bulk of their time perfecting the driving experience first and foremost. Nail THAT, and then add all the douche simulator elements if need be.
I think they need to wait until the next generation. I don't think they can improve the graphics significantly without better hardware. Maybe they can get the lighting looking a bit better, but they won't be able to improve the low polygon detail thats there due to it being a massive open world.

If I were them I'd also try to partner with Sony/Polyphony Digital or MS/Turn 10 and make it exclusive for only one of the consoles (plus a PC version) so that they could get the advantage of all the licensing deals that they've been able to swing. I think its very hard for a smaller developer to get licensing for Porsche, Ferrari AND Lamborghini in one game. In fact, even GT5 doesn't have Porsche.

And yeah, they should rip out the dumb cutscenes. I think the new social gameplay aspects they added are fine, but the cutscenes are awful. Finally, they need to allow more cars on a server, abd have "Hardcore" servers which allow collisions (I guess that would be the equivalent of PVP... sorta), have Cops be more aggressive against erratic drivers (to prevent griefing), and have fuel play a factor.

edgefusion said:
What's the character customisation like? Is there a good/large variety of clothing to choose from? Is there any romance between other characters or is it all "I am here to give you races. Goodbye"?
not seen any character stuff like romance yet, although the single player structure is a bit more crazy than what you suggest there. I think there are a couple of character animations you can control, so you should be able to invite other player characters to your house or have virtual sex parties in your clubhouse :-D. there are quite a few plastic surgery and clothes options. can also customise the inside of your houses somewhat. and the cars of course, although not all the cars can be customised that much.

infinityBCRT said:
I think they need to wait until the next generation. I don't think they can improve the graphics significantly without better hardware. Maybe they can get the lighting looking a bit better, but they won't be able to improve the low polygon detail thats there due to it being a massive open world.
I don't know about the need for new hardware. Have you actually seen Just Cause 2 in motion? Its ginormous, lush, gorgeous, and varied. I'd kill to drive around that map with a decent sim driving model.

cilonen

FlyinJ said:
The fact that they incorporated this douchebag simulator into the game is kind of hilarious. I'm just embracing it, and making myself as douchey as possible. Plastic surgery, horrendous sweaters, ridiculous hats... and I haven't even touched on the clubbing/dating sim or the redecoration aspects. Once I got over the absolute revulsion of the voice acting and overall concept, I just find the whole thing amusing now. It's also funny how absolutely insipid, empty and pointless that entire lifestyle is, even when simulating the "best" aspects of it.

Anyhow, I think it's great. I loved TDU1, and I'm actually enjoying this one even more. I haven't even checked out the upgraded engine in Hawaii yet...

So if I pick a girl, can I have her date guys and girls or just guys?

Edit: because in an arcade racer, that's really the most crucial point.

NullPointer said:
I don't know about the need for new hardware. Have you actually seen Just Cause 2 in motion? Its ginormous, lush, gorgeous, and varied. I'd kill to drive around that map with a decent sim driving model.
Does it really have all the details that a real world has though? Like 1000's of kms of Road & tons of buildings? Remember that TDU games are based off of real world maps, they can't sculpt a map that can have everything spaced out like it was in a game like Red Dead Redemption.

edgefusion

cilonen said:
So if I pick a girl, can I have her date guys and girls or just guys?

Edit: because in an arcade racer, that's really the most crucial point.

The extent of dressing up and dating is basically what will make me buy this game come tomorrow. I fucking love dressing up. And dating. Racing is okay I guess.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
infinityBCRT said:
I bought the PC version on Steam and wasn't too happy with the keyboard controls or how it looked on my 26" monitor at 1920x1200@60FPS. It felt like it was a game designed with 720p@30FPS in mind. I ended up picking up the 360 version, and while the controls were still twitchy by default (I needed to reduce linearity and deadzone to make it play much better), graphically I think it looks a LOT better on my TV than it did on my monitor. Everything looks detailed enough, and the cars do look like they have more weight at 30 FPS.

I have my PC hooked up to my 40" TV and play with an Xbox controller... so don't worry about me :)

Top Bottom