• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 |OT|

Smokey

Dick Laurent said:
expecting iracing, or what's going on here? remembered to turn down sensitivity and set steering damping and deadzone to nothing of course?

the good old gtx295

That's the sli in one card right? Just curious, I'm leaning towards building a 3D capable PC this year. I often wonder how big the hit on frame rate is with 3D.

Trust me, go with the professional, full reviews on this one. A lot of the comments in this thread are way off the mark.

Played for a couple of hours tonight and am enjoying it. It's what I expected as someone who played the crap out of TDU. I really feel that the handling feels the same if not better than the first game. It also looks quite good and is a pretty marked improvement in that respect. All in all, it's well worth the purchase for anyone who loved the original. The cutscenes are atrocious though.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Dick Laurent said:
expecting iracing, or what's going on here? remembered to turn down sensitivity and set steering damping and deadzone to nothing of course?

Oh yeah, I'm a tweaker from way back. Sensitivity is at max for 1:1 but damping and deadzone are at zero. Can't see how to enable the clutch, in the config it's recognised, but in the settings for the steering and throttle the clutch is greyed out so I am forced to use paddles for shifting rather than the shifter.

That's not my gripe though, the way the early cars handle just feels like the tyres are made of glue in some instances, also, I hate that head turning when using incar view. I may try bonnet cam and see how I go.

Gen X said:
Oh yeah, I'm a tweaker from way back. Sensitivity is at max for 1:1 but damping and deadzone are at zero. Can't see how to enable the clutch, in the config it's recognised, but in the settings for the steering and throttle the clutch is greyed out so I am forced to use paddles for shifting rather than the shifter.

That's not my gripe though, the way the early cars handle just feels like the tyres are made of glue in some instances, also, I hate that head turning when using incar view. I may try bonnet cam and see how I go.
Did you try the change the gearbox from sequential to h-shifter+clutch? (i think thats an option)

Hawk269

Ummm...Wow just played the opening area of the 360 version and visually it is pretty close to the MAXED out PC version. This is the PC gamers biggest complaint that the game is just a cosole port, with no much enhancements. Yeah, it is abit cleaner on pc and if you have a good enough system you can get 60 fps, but serously, the 360 version is no slouch to the PC version and I am pretty impressed with it.

Controls are fine folks, to me they cars control pretty good. yeah it can get a little slippery, but if you have have good control of the throttle, it really is not bad at all.

jambo

Can't wait to download this, I played the crap out of TDU1. I would just meet up with randoms online and cruise for hours.

Can't wait to find some nice winding roads for some sideways action.

Pimpbaa

After giving up tweaking the game realizing I won't get 60fps, I really started to enjoy it. Scenery is really beautiful in this game, and the controls are not too bad. Just finished some off-road events when I enjoyed a great deal. The things I don't like are the sound effects (the whole sound design in general feels off) and of course the cutscenes. Oh and for PC gamers, D3DOverrider is a must for this game (to get triple buffering).

x3sphere

Vik_Vaughn said:
I herd you liked PCs...

Anyways, does anyone have any screens they could post from the PC version?

2560x1600 everything maxed, 8XAA. I get ~40 FPS on a single 6970.

c7c8e5aa6f4a6e579b4088ed2127a21ee1d54812.jpg

211bad317368f521692d298520c59a1343abf739.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just drove around a LOT in my new Audi (the A6 one) I love how it controls.

amar212

DonMigs85 said:
Is it the most recent version with the Geforce 320M? Maybe it can hit 30FPS at medium settings at least.

Yes it is, 2.4GHz, 2GB, NVIDIA GeForce 320M.

I would like to know possibilities for playing both TDU2 and Shift 2.

Is there a mute button anywhere in this game? Because I'm having to listen to a pair of French dudes have a screaming match, and it's pretty god-damn infuriating.

*edit, someone posted a google map with various in-game locations on the official forums;

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...38.944457,1.367111&spn=0.203737,0.371475&z=12

Obviously it spoils some things like photo locations, but it's super handy if, like me, you've been driving around looking for a specific dealer/tuner.

Hawk269 said:
Controls are fine folks, to me they cars control pretty good. yeah it can get a little slippery, but if you have have good control of the throttle, it really is not bad at all.

You know there was a comment from a driver who was at a TDU2 launch event where he mentioned there was no sense of weight transfer. After driving to work today (where I noticed the weight transfer even on low speed turns) I can totally agree with that. The cars feel like they are sliding in TDU2 because of the lack of weight transfer. If they added that, then I think the physics would be fine. Also, the side-to-side panning of the cockpit view when you turn is getting on my nerves. Should have been an option to turn that off.

tok

Neo Member
infinityBCRT said:
You know there was a comment from a driver who was at a TDU2 launch event where he mentioned there was no sense of weight transfer. After driving to work today (where I noticed the weight transfer even on low speed turns) I can totally agree with that. The cars feel like they are sliding in TDU2 because of the lack of weight transfer. If they added that, then I think the physics would be fine. Also, the side-to-side panning of the cockpit view when you turn is getting on my nerves. Should have been an option to turn that off.

This is the thing I feel Codemasters always gets right in their games. Even when they lean more toward fun than hardcore simulation, this effect just makes the vehicles feel "right".

I enjoyed the first TDU, and was really looking forward to this one, but I think I'm going to hold off a bit. The comments on it are all over the map regarding wheel support for the PC. I don't expect a hardcore simulation, but the cars need to feel like cars.

I got more an more nervous reading about the emphasis on the social aspects of this game as it neared release. I really don't care about any of that stuff, I just want the big virtual island with lots of cars to mess with.

Sethos

Banned
After 40 minutes I can safely say, this is pretty bad. The performance is horrendous for me, no idea why - You'd think a 5970 and an i7 would be able to run this game smoothly but apparently not, in my case? No AA and very little AF, rest on Very High.

Oh and the handling is rubbish. I've played my fair share of arcade games and just because it carries the label 'arcade' doesn't mean you can butcher the handling and we should all just smile. There's no feel, no fun in driving the cars - Just a bland, empty experience and they handle like RC cars.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
bkfount said:
the preorder DLC code still doesn't work? The fuck?
You have to enter it? I thought it was automatically applied to your game and the car will be available to buy later on.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
bkfount said:
the preorder DLC code still doesn't work? The fuck?

Their forums say that they are waiting for MS to issue a patch to get all the DLC working. Until then things aren't going to work.

ah the rain/thunder storm is so awesome. BRINGS A TEAR TO THE EYE. maybe should make a gif instead, doesn't do that great as simple screenshots. jpeg fucked with those pics as well. ach.

vlcsnap-2011-02-09-20hnrvj.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-02-09-20h5pa8.jpg

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
amar212 said:
Yes it is, 2.4GHz, 2GB, NVIDIA GeForce 320M.

I would like to know possibilities for playing both TDU2 and Shift 2.

No offense, but are you doing buying a Mac (Mini) with the intent of gaming?

Hawk269

At least for the 360 version, the servers are down. Been trying to play for the last hour and every race it says that the TD dervers are down.

thundr51

Looking for something to play (now that I finally 1000/1000 Bayonetta) guess i'll pick this up later today for my 360.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
dalemurphy said:
I loved everything about TDU except for the actual driving. Is it the same thing this time around?

From what people were writing earlier, it's not even as good as TDU1's controls.

I still might pick it up, really liked the 1st game.

Where are all the reviews for this, embargoed?

I can't decide whether or not to pick it up. The quicklook looked pretty cool, but the reactions here are so mixed I don't know who to believe!

Wish there was a demo

Top Bottom