• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Aaron

I really dislike the 'modern' thing, but the snappy improvements to the desktop are pretty sweet. I'll probably spring for it when I finally get an SSD.

eznark

Banned
Windows 8 Quick Look made it look like an absolute disaster for desktop computers. Looks fine for tablets.

Really? Windows+D and you can ignore that stuff forever. The perfoance improvements (start up, UI speed) are probably going to be worth $40 to me.

Really? Windows+D and you can ignore that stuff forever. The perfoance improvements (start up, UI speed) are probably going to be worth to me.

I haven't tried it for a while but can the metro interface be completely ignored now? As in not having to use it to edit important system settings and such?

I haven't tried it for a while but can the metro interface be completely ignored now? As in not having to use it to edit important system settings and such?

Yup. I've been using Windows 8 for a few months now and I agree with a lot of their complaints about Metro for desktop users, but I just largely ignore it. I spend the majority of my time in desktop launching programs via pinned to taskbar and Rocketdock and entering Metro very rarely to open a rarely used program or to search. Aside from using Metro apps, there isn't really a need to go into it.

I have found recently though that I'm enjoying having a twitter Metro app open in 1/3 mode alongside the desktop. It's easier to manage than a separate client window open in the desktop and perhaps there'll be more opportunities to use Metro apps like that in the future when the store is more populated.

Chuck

Still without luck
New podcast, this week with 100% more Wes!

iNLX3J60EV0n7.png

EPISODE 136 - EXPLAIN THE INTERNET - 8/23/2012

On this week's show, Norm connects with dinosaurs, Wes makes a poignant observation, and Will forgets a name. All that, plus the latest on Nikon's Android camera, the problem with passwords, iPhone rumor rumors, AT&T vs. Facetime, and another episode of fake outtakes. Enjoy!

Don't afraid to comment on the podcast page and review the podcast on iTunes. ;)

eznark

Banned
Any of you have an opinion on the Canon s100? I'm debating between that and the new Sony point and shoot discussed earlier in the thread for my wife. She has decided she doesn't want mirrorless, so I'm going to get her one of those cameras and a lens for her DSLR.

Jintor

Will running the 'explain x' joke into the ground was probably the most I've wanted to throw things at him in a few months. Gary would probably have hit him over the head with the baby at that point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Any of you have an opinion on the Canon s100? I'm debating between that and the new Sony point and shoot discussed earlier in the thread for my wife. She has decided she doesn't want mirrorless, so I'm going to get her one of those cameras and a lens for her DSLR.

Inferior but cheaper.

Fox Mulder

The grass really must always seem greener on the other side of the phone carrier fence. They're talking about leaving ATT because of the share plan stuff, but Verizon acts like like a shithole company too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Clearly, but inferior in what way and to what extent is what I'm asking.

- Higher iso sensitivity plus range, which means that it can take better low light shots, though honestly you will never go to the maximum, but it controls noise really well.

- wider aperture, though not really that much wider.

- significantly better LCD screen at the back.

- more focus points.

- and this one is important: larger sensor. With the larger sensor and 20 megapixels in that sensor it can capture alot more detail than the s100.

Although honestly go to neogaf's official camera megathread and ask around there too. The people there will give you more perspective and options.

hmmm pretty lean week for content. Kinda expected more after will was all psyched up about something going down in last weeks bombcast.

I know they usually do stuff a month or so before it's on the site, but it's still kind of a bummer when posts this week are pretty much 2 min clips of bill nye talking.

MAkerbot is cool though.

panda21

good podcast but too short!

as much as i want gary back, joey is actually a really good guest. unlike some of the others, he knows when to talk and fits in nicely with the usual chemistry of the podcast. brad does too.

hope they arent going to pax, or at least if they do i hope they still do the podcast.

Naka

I believe it is tomorrow for ps3 and Thursday for pc and 360.

I hate to go too off topic, but is there a version that is better than the other? Or is it one of those games that just get it on your console of preference type of things?

eznark

Banned
I hate to go too off topic, but is there a version that is better than the other? Or is it one of those games that just get it on your console of preference type of things?

PC seems to be better, on consoles it runs the same. Kind of janky but not too too terrible.

willsmith

hmmm pretty lean week for content. Kinda expected more after will was all psyched up about something going down in last weeks bombcast.

I know they usually do stuff a month or so before it's on the site, but it's still kind of a bummer when posts this week are pretty much 2 min clips of bill nye talking.

MAkerbot is cool though.

Sorry, we had a limited time window with something cool, so in order to make the most of that, we weren't on the site as much as we would be normally. Things should be back to normal now.

Man. Maybe because I'm not that into the apple ecosystem or w/e. but was I the only one surprised that norm thought those Microsoft keyboard and mouse are only a little overpriced?

Never messed with Bluetooth stuff, but are those all that expensive? I've just used wired stuff for the most part.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Man. Maybe because I'm not that into the apple ecosystem or w/e. but was I the only one surprised that norm thought those Microsoft keyboard and mouse are only a little overpriced?

Never messed with Bluetooth stuff, but are those all that expensive? I've just used wired stuff for the most part.

Bluetooth keyboard and mice are always super expensive. The RF dongle type are pretty cheap, though.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I love it when Will seemingly restrains himself to not say "Tested dot CAAAAAM" at the end of the intro. Can't tell if he actually does though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is the audio for the Youtube version of the podcast screwed up for everyone else too?

Okay this implies the audio version is fine. Thanks for this, was really irritating to listen to the Youtube version.

Recon

Banned
The enjoyment of these podcasts are greatly increased when Garry is on....and its been awhile since I enjoyed a tested podcast....Nothing against Norm and Will, but the trio is great and elevates it considerably. Hopefully sometime soon.

Top Bottom