• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Megasoum

Banned
I love how Gary is super defensive in all his tweet about the launch. He always ends them by threatning to block people who mock him.... I think it says a lot lol.

eznark

Banned
Hard to take the opinions of someone who waits in line for a product on said product seriously.

I would like a review of Gary's hat though.

willsmith

Line or not I don't think I've ever seen an honest review for an Apple product on the web anyway.
How the fuck are we going to get the product if we don't wait in line or preorder? There's no moment I'm more pissed at apple than after sitting out all night in the cold.

Do you trust the people Apple gives review hardware to more?

Megasoum

Banned
How the fuck are we going to get the product if we don't wait in line or preorder? There's no moment I'm more pissed at apple than after sitting out all night in the cold.

Do be clear I wasn't talking about Tested specificaly but the web at large.

The general lovefest for everything apple is annoying. And btw I use an iPhone and I love it, nothing against the product themselves, it's just the way it's handled by the media in general that is getting ridiculous.

willsmith

Do be clear I wasn't talking about Tested specificaly but the web at large.

The general lovefest for everything apple is annoying. And btw I use an iPhone and I love it, nothing against the product themselves, it's just the way it's handled by the media in general that is getting ridiculous.
I guess I was responding to eznark more than you. You should listen to yesterday's podcast.

LiK

we love you.

netBuff

I love you guys, love the podcast and love your video content (Will Smith and Garry Whitta, you two are awesome dudes). But why exactly didn't you pre-order? Camping in line in front of an Apple Store for the new iPhone certainly hurts your credibility in regards to your opinions on smartphones, especially considering that it is hard to imagine anyone dying for a day-and-date-review of the iPhone on Tested.com. Norm seems like a much more rational actor in this case.

And considering previous iPhone launches, buying it at a store in the afternoon would have been, most likely, a realistic proposition as well.

I love you guys, love the podcast and love your video content (Will Smith and Garry Whitta, you two are awesome dudes). But why exactly didn't you pre-order? Camping in line in front of an Apple Store for the new iPhone certainly hurts your credibility in regards to your opinions on smartphones, especially considering that it is hard to imagine anyone dying for a day-and-date-review of the iPhone Tested.com. Norm seems like a much more rational actor in this case.

And considering previous iPhone launches, buying it at a store in the afternoon would have been, most likely, a realistic proposition as well.

They talk about it on the podcast. Only Norm's preorder went through fast enough. Will and Gary would have needed to wait 2 to 4 weeks.

panda21

didnt listen to the podcast yet, are they all buying an iphone 5 for themselves or just for testing purposes? i guess they sort of need to buy them for the site and then they might as well keep them.

The Lantern advert is great...
https://www.oldelantern.com/

pQ1dt.jpg

I still don't know how Gary got three...

After him missing the the quote at the end of the podcast, I don't think Will has ever seen This Is Spinal Tap

...this is bad. It's the worst. I will have to unsubscribe.

FStop7

Banned

You guys spent an hour of yesterday's episode apologizing for iOS 6.

Chuck

Still without luck
didnt listen to the podcast yet, are they all buying an iphone 5 for themselves or just for testing purposes? i guess they sort of need to buy them for the site and then they might as well keep them.

Mostly personal. I think Will got two, one for him and one for Gina. Them covering it on the site is just an added excuse to line up and get it day one. Like it or not, they do like the products Apple makes.

Saying that phone fanboys are as weird as sports people was one of the silliest things I've ever heard on the podcast. :p
Sports fans are probably the only demographic that can legitimately take sides and be fanboy-ish about it. Phone fanboys on the other hand are more or less the lowest of the low.

FStop7

Banned
Maybe 'apologized for' isn't the right term, but they get so... snarky and smarmy when it comes to this stuff, I really don't find it listenable any more. I've largely stopped listening to the podcast. This was the first week I've listened to it in a month and I shut it off after an hour because it was the same old same old. Apple Apple Apple, smug smug smug, nobody lines up for Android, etc etc. What value is there in that?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Maybe 'apologized for' isn't the right term, but they get so... snarky and smarmy when it comes to this stuff, I really don't find it listenable any more. I've largely stopped listening to the podcast. This was the first week I've listened to it in a month and I shut it off after an hour because it was the same old same old. Apple Apple Apple, smug smug smug, nobody lines up for Android, etc etc. What value is there in that?

You mustn't visit many tech blogs...

bonesquad

Norm went black. Next Tested ep is gonna be uber iPhone 5 sex talk.

Black is the way to go, until you open the box and see a nice little scratch on the front bezel:) Can't wait for the next episode then. I need some good Apple iPhone kool-aid because right now I'm not quite feeling it.

Salacious Crumb

You tune in the week a new iphone and ios version release and expect them not to talk about apple?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I am an android guy and I still love hearing them talk about it because they are passionate about it.

Chuck

Still without luck
Just relistened and a couple things.

There are maps alternative apps. One random comment on the Verge led me to Waze. A cute little app wich relies mostly on user data and has most of the features of GPS devices. After a trial run it in the greater LA area with the turn by turn directions, it worked very well. It even rerouted me when I missed an exit. That's just one app and i'm sure there are others.

And in regards to the 'some people think the iPhone is actually magic'...man, you have to be some kind of simpleton to not understand satellites.

big_z

You missed out. They gave the windows 8 phone maybe 15 minutes and blew it off then spent 45+ the following week gushing about all the meh features apple showed off at the iphone5 announcement.

Apple could release bags of raccoon shit and the guys would be creaming their pants. Despite their obvious apple bias i still listen and enjoy the podcast.

Just relistened and a couple things.

There are maps alternative apps. One random comment on the Verge led me to Waze. A cute little app wich relies mostly on user data and has most of the features of GPS devices. After a trial run it in the greater LA area with the turn by turn directions, it worked very well. It even rerouted me when I missed an exit. That's just one app and i'm sure there are others.

And in regards to the 'some people think the iPhone is actually magic'...man, you have to be some kind of simpleton to not understand satellites.

I recall will mentioning that will used the TomTom app for a while, don't remember his thoughts.

I just find it silly that people would spend $700 on a new phone but are too cheap to spend like $30-50 on a good gps app.

panda21

that article about 2d animation was pretty neat. makes me want to go find the pixiv thread.

i think the rabid apple bias on the podcast is just an unfortunate side effect of the fact they arent big enough to be able to have extra phones just to test, so they can't actually use a nexus as their everyday phone. if they did i think they would be much more open minded about android.

eznark

Banned

It wasn't really meant as a criticism. Just saying that I don't think someone who is willing to sit outside for 12 hours through the night is someone who I can trust to give me an uncolored review. That's not a knock, like I said, you guys aren't really a review site anymore so it doesn't bother me.

that article about 2d animation was pretty neat. makes me want to go find the pixiv thread.

i think the rabid apple bias on the podcast is just an unfortunate side effect of the fact they arent big enough to be able to have extra phones just to test, so they can't actually use a nexus as their everyday phone. if they did i think they would be much more open minded about android.

I was cringing the whole time they listed all the new features of iOS6. I think that every one of them is something I've been able to do on Android for a while now. Aside from App Store size, I really don't see why someone would choose iPhone over a good Android phone. That's why I was somewhat dismayed that they didn't even offer it as a suggestion to Brad last week.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was cringing the whole time they listed all the new features of iOS6. I think that every one of them is something I've been able to do on Android for a while now. Aside from App Store size, I really don't see why someone would choose iPhone over a good Android phone. That's why I was somewhat dismayed that they didn't even offer it as a suggestion to Brad last week.

The app store size is a pretty compelling reason though.

Aaron

I have an ipad for any interesting games. For a phone, all the apps you could ever want are still on android. Maybe even Windows Phone. It's no longer a selling feature. While IOS6 feels like a Siri level of fail without one compelling feature. Just more garbage, though most of it is optional.

The app store size is a pretty compelling reason though.

Yeah, if you're looking for games. Most other apps exist and are great on Android. I don't know who these people are that are using unbelievable amounts of apps.

I almost took the plunge on an iPad over my Nexus 7, but paying $300 more just to play more board games on it wasn't worth it, I think. I may regret the decision eventually.

Top Bottom